Never thought I’d say this. Sean McDermott is a stupid coach.

Beast

10 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Any defense that lost the quality of players this defend has would be suffering the same fate. The anchor of Von Miller is unrecoverable with the current injury status. The only things these teams exposed is how average the remaining players are. Before losing these players this was the top performing defense in this league.

We're hardly the only team with significant injuries.  People talk about Jones like he was a perennial pro-bowler, which is far from the case.  He's never distiniguished himself apart from the first few games of this season, whereupon some Bills fans have prematurely turned him into some kind of a legend.  It's remarkable.  

Milano was an enormous loss, but any monkey should have been able to see that if he went down that the LB unit would be in a world of hurt, which it is.  That's on Beane whether people want to accept that or not.  

White was gone most of last season and when he was on the field he wasn't good.  So let's not extrapolate that there's a big difference between last season and this one in that regard.  

Otherwise, all teams have injuries, the fact that we don't have adequate depth to overcome them is a Beane problem.  We're hardly the first team to have to play effectively through those.  It would help if the offense played up to its capabilities however.  

Playing "not as well as you did" is one thing.  Playing like we have today and last week, against garbage QBs with few weapons, and on the most futile offensive teams in the league is altogether another.  

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, LarryMadman said:

No, they weren't, you're wrong there.

Sorry, Deonte Thompson then. The crappy wide receivers blend together.

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

Tell him to explain 13 secs,  one of the worse displays of late game coaching in playoff history

He turned this franchise around. Period.

• Vomit 1

9 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

Why not? If this were a business and a manager’s team was constantly not executing their jobs, the manager would be responsible at least partially. He’s not putting his team in a position to win.

A couple better executions we win this game, sure. But the problem is we should have blown the doors off this sorry team not squeaked by. He is responsible for that lack of preparation at all levels. 

I disagree. He can’t kick Bass FGs and catch the ball for Davis/Diggs/Knox. No more than he can make Allen take the obvious 1st pass checkdown. The defense is his, and unfortunately Dane, Benford and Taron all struggled today. 

Just now, Roundybout said:

Don’t care. We aren’t in this position without McD and I am forever grateful to him for turning us around. 

Without Allen this team is no better then any of the drought teams.  McDermott thinks caveman football wins and gave up Mahomes to draft a DB.  He has done some good things but with a top 4 QB which drought teams never had

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

Without Allen this team is no better then any of the drought teams.  McDermott thinks caveman football wins and gave up Mahomes to draft a DB.  He has done some good things but with a top 4 QB which drought teams never had

You think we get to the AFCCG with Doug Marrone?

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

There are a lot of execution issues, which fall on the shoulders of the players, but there are also plenty of coaching issues as well.

How does the announcer see the poor slant leverage by Taron Johnson the previous play, but our coaches don’t?

Belichick and Co saw it, and immediately took advantage of it.

I will always credit McDermott for turning this franchise around. But there are so many deficiencies that show up on coaching.

Yeah, I’ve been behind McD because of the success of the winning seasons, but I’m finally leaning the other way.  Josh has shown his loyalty to Dorsey by saying it comes down to execution and he has to be better but it’s not happening.

With 2 straight poor games vs teams they should’ve dominated, something is very wrong.  They got beat and the defense was picked apart by Mac Jones!  Sure, they lost some very good players to injuries, but good coaches develop schemes and game plans to try and hide their weaknesses.  

The broadcaster mentioned it, so I’m curious why Von Miller wasn’t on the field for that last play.  Is he still not 100%?  They called a timeout before that last play and still gave up the TD.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

I give McDermott credit for turning the franchise around but I’m no longer sure if he’s capable of taking it to the next level. The rest of this season will be a major test if he can get the team and staff pointed in the right direction. 

Each year they find ways to lose games they have no business losing.  Losing to the Jags under Urban Meyer, Zach Wilson and Mac Jones twice now. We all know they were dang lucky to beat the NYG last week with TT at the helm.  They are extremely fortunate not to be 3-4 right now. One thing is consistent under McDermott and that is there reoccurring inconsistency. 

The Bills are fully healthy on O so there are zero excuses for their performance in 4 outta 7 games. The lack of creativity, leveraging Josh’s strengths, adjustments and somehow going with a slow methodical offense is unacceptable and not working. Dorsey’s had 25 games now to put his stamp on the offense and it seems to be misfiring on many levels. 

Defensively this is the so called strength of our head coach but time and time again he has no answers and the D gets exploited by lesser opponents. Giving up a 75 yard game winning TD drive in crunch time is atrocious. Even worse after one play they were already in position for a game tying FG. 

The reality of this game is the Bills lost big in the trenches and BB greatly outcoached McDermott. 

Just a horrible three games stretch by the Bills and in the end I have major doubts if this coach and his staff have any answers.

But did he really turn the franchise around? Or did his timing coincide with the addition of a superstar roster? 

• Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Does Allen have the same success with Rex Ryan?

Does McDermott have the same success without Allen?

Hell no. If we drafted Rosen all these guys would have been fired years ago. There is no "turnaround" without Josh.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

There are a lot of execution issues, which fall on the shoulders of the players, but there are also plenty of coaching issues as well.

How does the announcer see the poor slant leverage by Taron Johnson the previous play, but our coaches don’t?

Belichick and Co saw it, and immediately took advantage of it.

I will always credit McDermott for turning this franchise around. But there are so many deficiencies that show up on coaching.

McD is a turnaround artist, but he’s not a guy that can win big. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I understand that argument. Still not sure I totally buy it. 

That said, Brandon Beane deserves to face some tough questions because those three vet DTs that sucked so bad today - Phillips, Settle and Ford - are guys he has invested a reasonable amount in. In no other position do we have such highly paid depth.

We were getting no inside pressure our ends were rushing a field and inside we had a comfortable pocket.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

I disagree. He can’t kick Bass FGs and catch the ball for Davis/Diggs/Knox. No more than he can make Allen take the obvious 1st pass checkdown. The defense is his, and unfortunately Dane, Benford and Taron all struggled today. 

That’s the problem….if all three phases are having issues then that falls on the head coach. This team has looked flat the past 3 games. I won’t hold London against him because that would be unfair to any team. 

Do I think McD is the coach to get the Bills to a championship? No

Do I think McD should be fired mid season? No, because he has earned enough good will for that to happen. However, if things don’t change and this team doesn’t make the playoffs then McD has to go.  

Would I understand if Terry gives him another year? Yes. I wouldn’t like it but I would understand. 

30 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Of course he can’t but he still has a (major share of) responsibility. 

The team is a reflection of their coach(es). I heard the Poyer/Hyde postgame and they both parroted McD talking points. To say he’s responsible for only the half of the team he knows best will always shield him from honest criticism.

44 minutes ago, LarryMadman said:

And that Dalton to Boyd TD was 50 yarder with 40 seconds to go. McDumbf**k got lucky as anything to get the playoffs that year. 

Lol, that roster isnt as bad as you think. 

It is revisionist history that that McD and fans of "the Process" repeat over and over.  

4 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

He should have taken the illegal contact penalty. Would have given the Bills another down and allowed them to take time off the clock.

And that may have allowed us to possibly win.  However, the elephant in the room still exists: there is something wrong with this team, isn't there?

37 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

We're hardly the only team with significant injuries.  People talk about Jones like he was a perennial pro-bowler, which is far from the case.  He's never distiniguished himself apart from the first few games of this season, whereupon some Bills fans have prematurely turned him into some kind of a legend.  It's remarkable.  

Milano was an enormous loss, but any monkey should have been able to see that if he went down that the LB unit would be in a world of hurt, which it is.  That's on Beane whether people want to accept that or not.  

White was gone most of last season and when he was on the field he wasn't good.  So let's not extrapolate that there's a big difference between last season and this one in that regard.  

Otherwise, all teams have injuries, the fact that we don't have adequate depth to overcome them is a Beane problem.  We're hardly the first team to have to play effectively through those.  It would help if the offense played up to its capabilities however.  

Playing "not as well as you did" is one thing.  Playing like we have today and last week, against garbage QBs with few weapons, and on the most futile offensive teams in the league is altogether another.  

Yes and the teams with significant injuries generally lose. See 49rs without there two best offensive weapons. Jones was the top rated interior defensive lineman when he left. And Trey was finally rounding into form. Take away Oliver today and it just exposed our linebackers to too much . So to minimize these loses is ignorant. Beyond that, no excuse for losing today or looking so poorly the last 3 weeks. This team is as frustrating to watch as any. Prime years are being wasted and Josh needs to look at himself at times also. I believe Beane has mismanaged the cap. Look what’s tied up in Von and Knox, who else is overpaid for limited production? I’m just rambling at this point. We are in trouble and have little opportunity to fix it this year. But with the cap problems, what can be done next?

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Then go hire Greg Roman again. The guy we all wanted fired.

The question was does Allen have the same success with Rex as with McD.  No brainer that Allen would have been the focal point from day 1 with Rex, Peterman wouldn't have been named the 2018 syaryer and Allen's skills would have been fast tracked.  

Again conjecture, but either you buy into McD or you don't.   I never have.  He's a good coach too reliant on defence, not a great one.

2 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Yes and the teams with significant injuries generally lose. See 49rs without there two best offensive weapons. Jones was the top rated interior defensive lineman when he left.

Jones was playing at a high.  He wasn't going to, nor will if he returns, continue play at that level for an entire season.  Remember who we played, it wasn't the Chiefs, Bengals, Eagles, and Dallas.  We got amped up for one game against a decent offense.  Hammering Howell, the most sacked QB in the league, Garropolo who's hardly fleet of foot, and Wilson isn't hammering Young, Brady, and Mahomes.  

And Trey was finally rounding into form.

Fine, but the D with him in out of it was no different in that respect from the D with him in or out of it last season.  He sucked when he was in.  So there shouldn't be any difference comparatively there.  

Take away Oliver today and it just exposed our linebackers to too much . So to minimize these loses is ignorant.

The quality of our LBs exposed our LBs.  That's a Beane issue.  

Other teams rely on their depth with the loss of a DT like that.  Not minimizing it, but also not monumentalizing it either.  

Beyond that, no excuse for losing today or looking so poorly the last 3 weeks. This team is as frustrating to watch as any. Prime years are being wasted and Josh needs to look at himself at times also. I believe Beane has mismanaged the cap. Look what’s tied up in Von and Knox, who else is overpaid for limited production? 

Full agreement.  

I’m just rambling at this point.  We are in trouble and have little opportunity to fix it this year.  But with the cap problems, what can be done next?

Well, to start, we're helpless.  LOL  All we can do is lament and gripe.  I'll join you in a round of "get off my lawn."  :D 

The cap problems, again, are on Beane.  When you take risks like we did on Von Miller, and have to go to free-agency due to your lack of being able to get the requisite talent via the draft, when you re-sign players like Knox at that cost, etc., that's your problem, meaning the one that did that.  That's Beane.  it's his mess, let him clean it up.  

It's good that the awareness for these things is increasing however.  Perhaps there's a solution in the next season or two.  

That's on Pegula.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The question was does Allen have the same success with Rex as with McD.  No brainer that Allen would have been the focal point from day 1 with Rex, Peterman wouldn't have been named the 2018 syaryer and Allen's skills would have been fast tracked.  

Again conjecture, but either you buy into McD or you don't.   I never have.  He's a good coach too reliant on defence, not a great one.

I bought into McD until now. I have concerns this is the end of the line. Let’s see how he responds. If we miss the playoffs, he needs to go.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Take away Oliver today and it just exposed our linebackers to too much. 

BTW, our LBs, whom McBeane sold to us, Williams and Bernard, aren't built for the kind of game that they faced today, where more traditional LBs were required.  

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

I bought into McD until now. I have concerns this is the end of the line. Let’s see how he responds. If we miss the playoffs, he needs to go.

Even if we make the playoffs, does that mean that he's adequate?  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

BTW, our LBs, whom McBeane sold to us, Williams and Bernard, aren't built for the kind of game that they faced today, where more traditional LBs were required.  

Even if we make the playoffs, does that mean that he's adequate?  

Yes, given the brutally tough AFC

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

Yes, given the brutally tough AFC

So, say we scrape in at 10-7, then lose again like we typically do in the wild-card or divisional round.  

You're still hopeful that McD's the one that can deliver the hardware?  

3 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

So, say we scrape in at 10-7, then lose again like we typically do in the wild-card or divisional round.  

You're still hopeful that McD's the one that can deliver the hardware?  

Depends on how the season ends. Just get us into the dance.

4 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

I knew McD wasn’t that bright when he choked 13 secs away. He’s not the guy.

It was the way he did it. Used his own timeouts to let the Chiefs get into the right play, according to Mahomes himself. He's been owning himself with defensive TOs since he got to Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Every teams goal is to get to the playoffs 

No, every team's goal is to win a Super Bowl.  

Getting to the playoffs is merely one step in that progression.  

Not one team ever has said once it gets to the playoffs, ... Coach:  Well fellas, we've achieved our goal.  Let's just have fun from here on out and win or lose, remember, we achieved what we've set out to do.  It's been a great season.  Thanks for participating.  

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

And that may have allowed us to possibly win.  However, the elephant in the room still exists: there is something wrong with this team, isn't there?

Yep but I'm not waving the white flag just yet. Although it could crumble right before our eyes.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

2 hours ago, Roundybout said:

He broke the drought and dragged Whaley’s POS roster to the playoffs. He instilled confidence in our team. He set up the turnaround. 

He didn't break any drought lol..luck broke the drought..we backed into the playoffs by late game heroics from Andy Dalton and Tyler Boyd..we did promptly get bounced right out and only managed a fg the next week

Just now, Billever76 said:

He didn't break any drought lol..luck broke the drought..we backed into the playoffs by late game heroics from Andy Dalton and Tyler Boyd..we did promptly get bounced right out and only managed a fg the next week

How did we get into position to make the playoffs?

We're about to see how good or bad Sean McDermott is as a head football coach for the next 2+ months. 

If he's never been very good, he's going to lose control of the team and this season is going to go off the rails.

If he's the real deal, then this team is going to turn it around and make the playoffs and maybe even a run.

It's never been set up so perfectly. Buckle up, folks.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95203kluqxfoj9w9bvro7

Edited by Wayne Arnold
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.