Never thought I’d say this. Sean McDermott is a stupid coach.

Beast

Just now, Dr.Sack said:

Sean McDermott knows Benford and Jackson can’t hold up in coverage as they aren’t Sauce Gardener and not allowed to mug. 

When you don’t blitz you have 7 in coverage. And Benford and Jackson haven’t been an issue.

Today’s defensive gameplan was awful and McDermott continued to double and triple down on it when it clearly wasn’t working.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Beast said:

All day long the Bills blitzed, blitzed, blitzed. All day long, with I believe the exception of one time, the Bills got nowhere near the QB and Jones had a career day.

McDermott kept it up and Mac ***** Jones of all QB’s made him pay.  Not even mixing up the blitzes. Continually trying to come through the left tackle/guard spot.

Just like the last drive last week.

And, speaking of last week. Same scenario this week. The Giants attacked Johnson with a tight end and a decent throw beats the Bills. This week? Same thing. The Patriots attacked Johnson and won.

Sean McDermott cost the Buffalo Bills a win today by sheer stupidity.

Not stating the obvious to anyone here…our coaching staff is severely letting this team down.

This is nothing new here. Watch playoff after playoff game for the last five years and you can say the same exact thing. 

This is why McD needs to go. The Bills need new leadership and philosophy. 

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

I personally have been done with McDermott after 13 secs.  It was unforgivable to me. I think he peaked, along with Beane.  It's time to move on while we still have Josh Allen and take a chance at winning it all.  Our current staff is not doing that

Holly wood might have peaked too. in fact the whole franchise is starting to look like it peaked…. Just long and good enough to garner the sucker taxpayers to pony up for the stadium. 🤔 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Beast said:

When you don’t blitz you have 7 in coverage. And Benford and Jackson haven’t been an issue.

Today’s defensive gameplan was awful and McDermott continued to double and triple down on it when it clearly wasn’t working.

I thought it was good as the blitzes also shut down the run. It changed the dynamic of the game. If anything the quick passes were what killed us, especially some unfortunate missed tackles. Jackson struggled mightily in tackling. I believe this was also a very game penalty wise for the secondary. Benford, Jackson, and Johnson all committed penalties, and missed tackles. It was difficult to watch but as Dorsey and McDermott say, players need to execute. I just feel like there wasn’t enough complimentary football, and the coaches put guys in position to make plays and they came up short due to poor execution. Not really on the coaches. Perhaps Beane has left the reserve depth cupboards bare? 

1 minute ago, Dr.Sack said:

I thought it was good as the blitzes also shut down the run. It changed the dynamic of the game. If anything the quick passes were what killed us, especially some unfortunate missed tackles. Jackson struggled mightily in tackling. I believe this was also a very game penalty wise for the secondary. Benford, Jackson, and Johnson all committed penalties, and missed tackles. It was difficult to watch but as Dorsey and McDermott say, players need to execute. I just feel like there wasn’t enough complimentary football, and the coaches put guys in position to make plays and they came up short due to poor execution. Not really on the coaches. Perhaps Beane has left the reserve depth cupboards bare? 

Enough “complimentary football”? What does that even mean? I know that has been a catch phrase of McDermott as of late but is that a new way to say we aren’t executing?

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Today was the full McD experience:

- team flat as hell for 2.5 quarters

- one or two dumb timeout usages

- vaunted defense that he crafted can't get a stop when sorely needed

Defense folded like a cheap suit today, and that was the second week in a row. Pure luck and indifference by a ref saved us las week. No such luck this week (maybe bad luck as the Pats lineman WAS downfield on the big play by Stevenson).2

Edited by Spiderweb
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsUberAlles said:

Coaches look great when what they do works, not great when it doesn't. If you knew the chess that went into why they do certain things versus another you're eyes would glass over within 5 seconds of the explanation because you wouldn't understand WTF he was talking about.

These are not complicated concepts. McVay is a genius for having his receivers run across the field at different depths. McDaniels is a genius for having his receivers already running when the ball is snapped. Belichick is a genius for double covering the opponent's best receiver.

Like give me a break.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I thought I heard somewhere recently McDermott scripts his D at the start of the game.  Can you imagine, calling a D by script.  Down and distance does not matter I guess.  No wonder our drops are consistently beyond the sticks.  If this is the case, it’s fireable to me.

28 minutes ago, Beast said:

Enough “complimentary football”? What does that even mean? I know that has been a catch phrase of McDermott as of late but is that a new way to say we aren’t executing?

Yes. It means that all three units to execute at a high level, as the other team gets paid too. It’s hard to win the NFL. Ask Belichick who won his 300th game today. It’s only fitting his milestone win came against the Bills, the team he has the most wins against. 

As far as complementary football goes, the ST gave up a big return and Bass missed a FG. Do better on one of those and the throw to Diggs at the end means a FG wins the game. As far as the defense goes, we were a step too slow on some of those big plays, including the big screen pass that setup the game winning touchdown. Better execution and we stop them for a minimal gain. 

Point is complimentary football starts with the coaches dialing up the plays and the players executing. I don’t see how McDermott can be blamed for players inability to make plays. 

2 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

He should have taken the illegal contact penalty. Would have given the Bills another down and allowed them to take time off the clock.

Agreed my buddy and I were saying this. Gives ya four more downs from the 4 allows ya to run it and kill precious clock time

• Agree 2

HE NEEDS FIRED 

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

There are a lot of execution issues, which fall on the shoulders of the players, but there are also plenty of coaching issues as well.

How does the announcer see the poor slant leverage by Taron Johnson the previous play, but our coaches don’t?

Belichick and Co saw it, and immediately took advantage of it.

I will always credit McDermott for turning this franchise around. But there are so many deficiencies that show up on coaching.

Newsflash it wasn't McDermott who turned this team around it was drafting allen and acquiring diggs first and foremost...now McDermott has neutered half of what makes allen elite....FIRE THIS CONSERVATIVE PAST HIS TIME BUFFON

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

I’ve been saying this for a while but the pegulas are in over their heads and feel comfortable enough with him and beane at the helm. It’s why they gave them an extension over the summer which was ridiculous. 

Hiring the panthers cast offs and their reject players should have raised alarms two yrs ago ......instead we will blame execution by the players and injuries..McDermott is the problem and always has been.....his peak isn't even the 13s debacle as without daboll we don't even make it to that point

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Beast said:

All day long the Bills blitzed, blitzed, blitzed. All day long, with I believe the exception of one time, the Bills got nowhere near the QB and Jones had a career day.

McDermott kept it up and Mac ***** Jones of all QB’s made him pay.  Not even mixing up the blitzes. Continually trying to come through the left tackle/guard spot.

Just like the last drive last week.

And, speaking of last week. Same scenario this week. The Giants attacked Johnson with a tight end and a decent throw beats the Bills. This week? Same thing. The Patriots attacked Johnson and won.

Sean McDermott cost the Buffalo Bills a win today by sheer stupidity.

Not stating the obvious to anyone here…our coaching staff is severely letting this team down.

How about accepting that penalty near the goal line that would have given the Bill a first goal at the 2.  Patriots would have been forced to use their timeouts,  again bad coaching and not thinking ahead.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

How about accepting that penalty near the goal line that would have given the Bill a first goal at the 2.  Patriots would have been forced to use their timeouts,  again bad coaching and not thinking ahead.

Only if we had purposely not scored on 1st down or 2nd down and I think in that scenario you don't bank on scoring on 3rd or 4th down just to milk the clock. You score and trust your defense. Unfortunately the defense sucked. The back breaking play was letting a swing pass on New England's drive go for 30 yards. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

18 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I have no issue with him declining that penalty. In fact, I believe it was the right move. Just being honest.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Beast said:

I have no issue with him declining that penalty. In fact, I believe it was the right move. Just being honest.

I disagree,  you accept the call and get the extra down to burn clock and force Pats to use at least one more time out.  That effects how they play out their final drive

I give McDermott credit for turning the franchise around but I’m no longer sure if he’s capable of taking it to the next level. The rest of this season will be a major test if he can get the team and staff pointed in the right direction. 

Each year they find ways to lose games they have no business losing.  Losing to the Jags under Urban Meyer, Zach Wilson and Mac Jones twice now. We all know they were dang lucky to beat the NYG last week with TT at the helm.  They are extremely fortunate not to be 3-4 right now. One thing is consistent under McDermott and that is there reoccurring inconsistency. 

The Bills are fully healthy on O so there are zero excuses for their performance in 4 outta 7 games. The lack of creativity, leveraging Josh’s strengths, adjustments and somehow going with a slow methodical offense is unacceptable and not working. Dorsey’s had 25 games now to put his stamp on the offense and it seems to be misfiring on many levels. 

Defensively this is the so called strength of our head coach but time and time again he has no answers and the D gets exploited by lesser opponents. Giving up a 75 yard game winning TD drive in crunch time is atrocious. Even worse after one play they were already in position for a game tying FG. 

The reality of this game is the Bills lost big in the trenches and BB greatly outcoached McDermott. 

Just a horrible three games stretch by the Bills and in the end I have major doubts if this coach and his staff have any answers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Only if we had purposely not scored on 1st down or 2nd down and I think in that scenario you don't bank on scoring on 3rd or 4th down just to milk the clock. You score and trust your defense. Unfortunately the defense sucked. The back breaking play was letting a swing pass on New England's drive go for 30 yards. 

I agree about the swing pass for 30 yards cannot happen,  just seem like the Bills db's were all playing too far off the line which allowed for quick passes.

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

I disagree,  you accept the call and get the extra down to burn clock and force Pats to use at least one more time out.  That effects how they play out their final drive

Nah.

The plan is to score from the 2 just like it is to score from the 1 foot line. No team has a 1 yard play at the 2 yard line.

When you are down in the game and need a TD, you don’t ***** around.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea. And even rookie Kincaid knew to sit on his catch and not go out of bounds

2 hours ago, PBF81 said:

But that's McD's general philosophy, and that's why we have the players we have, it's all designed around rushing the passer and generating pressure in the passing game.  

Hence our pass-D oriented alignments, often featuring 2 LBs, and the seeming lack of interest in a bona fide MLB.  Our defense is laden with players that excel in pass-D, to the extent that they excel in anything.  

Between Jax and now BB, this D has been exposed, and it's unwise to hold out hope that we have the talent to change it at this point.  McBeane made their decisions, now it's time to prove that they're sound.  So far it's not working out so well this season, unless we play sack-prone QBs and/or poor passers.  Generally speaking that is.  

Any defense that lost the quality of players this defend has would be suffering the same fate. The anchor of Von Miller is unrecoverable with the current injury status. The only things these teams exposed is how average the remaining players are. Before losing these players this was the top performing defense in this league.

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed.  I am one of the loudest McD critics but he made the right call there.  It's much harder to score from 2 or 3 yards out than 6 inches. 2 or 3 yard line introduces all kinds of bad things that can happen.  The defense has to hold that bum of a QB from scoring.  Absolute joke.  

• Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again he took a 7-9 teams eliminated in OT the second last week of the season in 2016 and basically a 1 game improvement.  Hoop de doo.....

He broke the drought and dragged Whaley’s POS roster to the playoffs. He instilled confidence in our team. He set up the turnaround. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Agreed.  I am one of the loudest McD critics but he made the right call there.  It's much harder to score from 2 or 3 yards out than 6 inches. 2 or 3 yard line introduces all kinds of bad things that can happen.  The defense has to hold that bum of a QB from scoring.  Absolute joke.  

Anyone saying they should have accepted the penalty is absolutely wrong.

Allowing Mac Jones to own you the majority of the game and engineer an effortless game winning TD drive, when all they needed was a fg to get the game to OT is pathetic. 

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

He broke the drought and dragged Whaley’s POS roster to the playoffs. He instilled confidence in our team. He set up the turnaround. 

Yea, keep on repeating it enough times and we'll all believe it.

Andy Dalton got them in the playoffs.  

Riddle me this.  If Andy Dalton doesn't throw that TD pass, are you still saying the same about McD?

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Yes. It means that all three units to execute at a high level, as the other team gets paid too. It’s hard to win the NFL. Ask Belichick who won his 300th game today. It’s only fitting his milestone win came against the Bills, the team he has the most wins against. 

As far as complementary football goes, the ST gave up a big return and Bass missed a FG. Do better on one of those and the throw to Diggs at the end means a FG wins the game. As far as the defense goes, we were a step too slow on some of those big plays, including the big screen pass that setup the game winning touchdown. Better execution and we stop them for a minimal gain. 

Point is complimentary football starts with the coaches dialing up the plays and the players executing. I don’t see how McDermott can be blamed for players inability to make plays. 

Why not? If this were a business and a manager’s team was constantly not executing their jobs, the manager would be responsible at least partially. He’s not putting his team in a position to win.

A couple better executions we win this game, sure. But the problem is we should have blown the doors off this sorry team not squeaked by. He is responsible for that lack of preparation at all levels. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Allowing Mac Jones to own you the majority of the game and engineer an effortless game winning TD drive, when all they needed was a fg to get the game to OT is pathetic. 

Riddle me this.  If Andy Dalton doesn't throw that TD pass, are you still saying the same about McD?

Yes because McD dragged that dog**** roster to 9-7

10 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And that Dalton to Boyd TD was 50 yarder with 40 seconds to go. McDumbf**k got lucky as anything to get the playoffs that year. 

7 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Yes because McD dragged that dog**** roster to 9-7

Lol, that roster isnt as bad as you think. 

Edited by LarryMadman
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, LarryMadman said:

And that Dalton to Boyd TD was 50 yarder with 40 seconds to go. McDumbf**I got lucky as anything to get the playoffs that year. 

Lol, that roster isnt as bad as you think. 

We were starting Rod Streater at WR dude 

10 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

He did 13 secs,  stop making excuses or talking about making the playoffs.  The fact is they made the playoffs because Cincy made some crazy late touchdown play. He has screwed up in big moments and should have hired a defensive cordinator to focus on HC duties.

• Agree 1

Just now, Niagara Dude said:

He did 13 secs,  stop making excuses or talking about making the playoffs.  The fact is they made the playoffs because Cincy made some crazy late touchdown play. He has screwed up in big moments and should have hired a defensive cordinator to focus on HC duties.

Don’t care. We aren’t in this position without McD and I am forever grateful to him for turning us around. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.