Another Trade Target - Harrison Phillips - Minnesota Vikings

H2o

The Vikings have lost Justin Jefferson for the foreseeable future, they're off to a 1-4 start, and their season seems to be going off the rails quickly. I've seen where if they manage to lose to the Bears this week then the fire sale is likely on in Minny as well. Cousins is due to be a FA next year and the rebuild may be a full go at that point. Harry has been pretty solid for them this year and he already knows the defense. It would fill the need at 1-tech. They could easily re-work his contract to spread some money out or just cut him in the offseason. I could see this as a move Beane and McDermott would make.  

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 5

Right now the Bills should not have any "trade targets". They should be seeing what an expanded role for Settle and Poona Ford looks like. Reconfigure after a couple weeks.

In the next 2 weeks we play 2 of the worst offenses in the NFL. This is excellent timing for Buffalo to get a good luck at new starters and evaluate from there. If the results are poor, I am sure there will be some activity to look for help. McDermott said yesterday, they will look for help from within first and go outside if needed. 

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 4

I'll go ahead and disagree with those that say he wouldn't be an improvement over Tim Settle and Poona Ford. I think he absolutely would be.

Settle has shown flashes here and there, but has not been nearly dependable enough at 1T. Poona Ford has underwhelmed since signing here, so much so that he hasn't been gameday active in weeks.

Harry is better than both, IMO. He has been good for Minnesota. He also knows the system and the locker room and was well liked here and would be able to hit the ground running. I believe he'd cost about $4million.

I doubt the Bills will do it, but I'd be happy if they did.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, boyst said:

no interest. overhyped because the Bills did a ton of PR on him celebrating him as if he was the next coming of Kyle Williams.

He really was over hyped, not sure why.  I guess it was because he went to Stanford and he did good work in the community and was the Bills Walter Payton nominee one year.

• Agree 1

If we had lost another DT on top of Jones, sure.  But right now, as someone already said as well, I don't think he is an upgrade to the guys we currently have.  Not a knock so much on Harry, more so the fact we had good depth at DT as it was.  

If we were to lose another DT, then I would think he could be a viable trade target.  But honestly, I think McD and Beane have confidence in the guys here and will wait and see how they fill in before they seriously consider pursuing a trade at any position.  

A late pick and they'd have to eat most if not all of whatever's left on his deal. Idk what's been paid for this year already and it would cost us 2.3 million in dead cap after this year to get rid of him or 8.8 to keep him.

But he's gone in large part because Minnesota overpaid for him and I don't see us wanting to take even what's left on in our current state.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/harrison-phillips-25195/

Edited by BillsFanForever19

I have to admit I find the "we're fine at DT" talk a little confusing.

In terms of number of bodies? Sure, we're fine. In terms of QUALITY? I'm not so sure.

If Poona Ford was playing at the level that we have seen from him in the past, then sure, I'd agree. But based on his preseason play and the fact that he's been inactive for weeks despite the Bills fielding one of the worst (THE worst?) run defenses in the league, I just don't have much faith in him. 

I feel that maybe people are basing the "we're fine" talk on the potential of what Settle and Ford COULD be or what they've been in the past, not based on the actual level of play we've seen from both as Buffalo Bills in recent months.

I'm not saying Harrison Philips would be a slam dunk improvement, either, but...to say that the Bills shouldn't be sniffing around for improvements at DT if said improvements come at a reasonable cost...I just don't agree.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, boyst said:

no interest. overhyped because the Bills did a ton of PR on him celebrating him as if he was the next coming of Kyle Williams.

Hate to say it but I agree. Seems like an all time great dude. But is he even really good? The Vikes have had a terrible defense since he went there.  He is strictly a rotation guy that if he starts means your defense is pretty bad 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

They got any DBs or LBs available? Jordan Hicks worth a look?

They were saying that it could turn into a fire sale if they lose to Chicago on Sunday, then they have SF on deck the following week. That would likely have them at 1-6 after the SF game. Their season is done after that. They still have NO, DET x2, CIN, they're not making the Playoffs. Then there is no real timeline of JJ's return, only that he is on IR for at least the next 4 games. Cousins is about to be 36 and a FA next offseason. Talk is they may go into full rebuild mode and moving people around. Danielle Hunter was a name mentioned as well as Harrison Smith. I imagine Hicks would also be available and could be an asset in the LB group. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Logic said:

I'll go ahead and disagree with those that say he wouldn't be an improvement over Tim Settle and Poona Ford. I think he absolutely would be.

Settle has shown flashes here and there, but has not been nearly dependable enough at 1T. Poona Ford has underwhelmed since signing here, so much so that he hasn't been gameday active in weeks.

Harry is better than both, IMO. He has been good for Minnesota. He also knows the system and the locker room and was well liked here and would be able to hit the ground running. I believe he'd cost about $4million.

I doubt the Bills will do it, but I'd be happy if they did.

I do not know how you can evaluate Poona at this point. But we shall be able to soon 😉

4 hours ago, Logic said:

I have to admit I find the "we're fine at DT" talk a little confusing.

In terms of number of bodies? Sure, we're fine. In terms of QUALITY? I'm not so sure.

If Poona Ford was playing at the level that we have seen from him in the past, then sure, I'd agree. But based on his preseason play and the fact that he's been inactive for weeks despite the Bills fielding one of the worst (THE worst?) run defenses in the league, I just don't have much faith in him. 

I feel that maybe people are basing the "we're fine" talk on the potential of what Settle and Ford COULD be or what they've been in the past, not based on the actual level of play we've seen from both as Buffalo Bills in recent months.

I'm not saying Harrison Philips would be a slam dunk improvement, either, but...to say that the Bills shouldn't be sniffing around for improvements at DT if said improvements come at a reasonable cost...I just don't agree.

beanes likely has his troops reviewing potential improvements across the board at this point in the season

Hope they can do better than that old CB they just signed though  geesh

7 hours ago, Success said:

Our line is deep, and talented. Losing Jones hurts, but we don't need to trade for that position unit (imo).

We're deep at edge but not deep on the interior.

6 hours ago, wppete said:

Poona Ford will fill in DT. We need to look for a decent LB and CB. 

The above is counter to McDermott's belief that games are won and lost in the trenches... on the lines.

If Poona is the player he was in Seattle 3 years ago we should be fine. However there are signs both from Seattle and since coming to Buffalo that he's not the same player he was. We're surely about to find out.

8 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Right now the Bills should not have any "trade targets". They should be seeing what an expanded role for Settle and Poona Ford looks like. Reconfigure after a couple weeks.

In the next 2 weeks we play 2 of the worst offenses in the NFL. This is excellent timing for Buffalo to get a good luck at new starters and evaluate from there. If the results are poor, I am sure there will be some activity to look for help. McDermott said yesterday, they will look for help from within first and go outside if needed. 

"If the results are poor after the next two week" If the results are poor after playing the lowly Giants and Pats, the season is truly over anyway.. 

He was actually pretty decent last year for the Vikes as a run stopper. But that is ALL he is. Jones has some penetrative ability as well as playing the run very well. Harrison isn't that. He is a 1 dimensional player you don't want on the field on 3rd down. Since letting Star go the Bills seem to have moved away from that type of guy. 

Haven't watched much of them this year so can't comment on how he has been. 

29 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Find Harrison Phillips.

I honestly hadn't seen this before I posted, but not a surprise at all. Interestingly on this chart on Ed it kinda proves the point I have been making to the "he has only started playing well now" guys. Because Ed has actually been slightly higher on this chart in the past than he is currently.... (I make him 12th best by my counting there and he has been top 5 previously) but the sacks haven't come. This year they have. He was playing better than people realised before just without the flashy numbers in terms of sack production.

Edited by GunnerBill

10 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Harrison Phillips is a Bill and we should bring him back as soon as possible. With Jones gone Phillips would provide exactly what Jones provided. We need another db and we can go deep.

Sounds like you bought into the Horrible Harry Hype machine … he’s not anywhere near the player DJ is

47 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Sounds like you bought into the Horrible Harry Hype machine … he’s not anywhere near the player DJ is

Nope, but he’s an NFL starter at a position of need, who is familiar with our system, and he has Bills DNA

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Find Harrison Phillips.

Thank you for injecting some reality to the conversation.  No one is replacing Jones at the level he has has been playing, but Phillips is not an upgrade over what is already here.

• Shocked 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.