Zack Moss quietly having a very nice season so far

Dubie54

After his 165 yds. on 23 carries against the Titans he now has 445 yds. through 5 games and is averaging 5 yds/carry. On track for a 1,400 yd. season. Interesting that the Titans are no slouch against the run with teams averaging only 94 yds/game.

I have to say I'm happy for the kid as it looked like his NFL career wasn't going to match the success he had in Utah. And being a Utah fan I had seen quite a few of his college games and wasn't sure he had the speed for the NFL. He does have a ton of wear on his tires as he set all kinds of HS rushing records in Florida and carried a ton for Utah during his 4 years, so I'm not sure he has that many good years left in the NFL, but we'll have to see how it plays out. 

We didn't get much for him with Dorsey never figuring out how to use Hines last year and then losing Hines all of this year to the freak accident. We also got the 5th rounder this year which turned into Justin Shorter who's now on IR.

The way he has turned his game around, it could have been an interesting tandem with he and Cook this year, especially with our improved O-line.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

His YPC is about the same as it always has been. It's just that the Colts are giving him the ball A LOT. He had 30 carries in a single game in week 3 against Baltimore. He's got 89 carries in 4 games. He is the type of RB that you have to live with the rushes for no gain in order to get production from him. 

• Like (+1) 5

Devin Singletary and Zach Moss both always seemed like rhythm/opportunity backs, not timeshare guys.

That is, both of them always seemed most effective when they were given a steady dose -- and the lion's share -- of carries. When they could get into rhythm. The more sporadically they touched the ball, the worse they seemed to do.

Now obviously in the 2023 NFL, where many teams employ running-back-by-committee, and where pass-first offenses often relegate running backs to single digit carries in a game, this isn't always possible. There are also plenty of running backs for whom this is NOT the case.

So...blame whoever you want, but having two guys who do best as bellcows in Moss and Singletary, and then refusing to use EITHER of them as such, seemed to mitigate the effectiveness of both and, thus, to limit the Bills' run game.

Happy to see Moss doing well elsewhere, and I hope Motor does, too.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

Devin Singletary and Zach Moss both always seemed like rhythm/opportunity backs, not timeshare guys.

That is, both of them always seemed most effective when they were given a steady dose -- and the lion's share -- of carries. When they could get into rhythm. The more sporadically they touched the ball, the worse they seemed to do.

Now obviously in the 2023 NFL, where many teams employ running-back-by-committee, and where pass-first offenses often relegate running backs to single digit carries in a game, this isn't always possible. There are also plenty of running backs for whom this is NOT the case.

So...blame whoever you want, but having two guys who do best as bellcows in Moss and Singletary, and then refusing to use EITHER of them as such, seemed to mitigate the effectiveness of both and, thus, to limit the Bills' run game.

We were also judging their play based on our 2022 OL which was one of the worst in the league.   I always thought both Singletary and Moss were underrated here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

Singletary had a successful career here. He proved more valuable than Zack Moss and got the majority of the caries because of it.

Good for Moss that he is finding success on another team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Same YPC as here. Singletary + Moss equaled 468 yards and 4 touchdowns in first 5 games in 2021.

Singletary was top 5 in the league for YPC while he was a Bill. 

Similarly to Moss, they didn’t feed him. 

His YPC were better than Derrick Henry’s. 

The brain trust landed on giving him 12 carries/game as the master plan. 

Again, I say - the disconnect between Beane and the coaches is clear. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, MJS said:

Singletary had a successful career here. He proved more valuable than Zack Moss and got the majority of the caries because of it.

Good for Moss that he is finding success on another team.

One day people will get it through their head that the ball in a running back’s hands will almost never be a better play than the ball in Josh’s hands.

6th ranked back in fantasy so far this year. Makes me wonder how they will use him and Taylor going forward. Can’t really expect Miss to take an 80/20 split when he’s started off this well. 

9 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

There is nothing special about Zack Moss. He is an average NFL running back.

The fact that’s he’s producing on the colts goes to show you that any RB can produce given the right situation. Then you have Josh Jacobs who is barely effective this season. 

Never pay running backs 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Where has Singletary ever done his best as a bellcow??  he has 5 career games over 20 carries.  

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Where has Singletary ever done his best as a bellcow??  he has 5 career games over 20 carries.  

yea, ultimately both these guys are below average backs but serviceable nfl contributors. It’s like lamenting that fitz or tyrod didn’t get a fair shake. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Good. He was misused, underutilized and inexplicably benched during his tenure in Buffalo. 

The disconnect between Beane and the coaches has been an issue. 

I hope Moss kicks ass. 

Nothing was inexplicable about it. He was awful.

And FWIW, here are Moss' and Cooks' numbers thus far this season.  

Keep in mind that Moss has played in only four games to Cook's five.  

Moss has 89 carries for 445 Yards, 3 rushing TDs, and 24 1st-Downs, a long run of 56, 5.0 YPC, and 111 YPG, 8 catches for 72 Yards, 1 receiving TD, and 517 YFS

Cook has 61 carries for 292 Yards, 1 rushing TD, 14 1st-Downs, a long run of 36, 4.8 YPC, and 58 YPG;  14 catches for 140 and 0 receiving TDs, and 432 YFS.  

Moss plays with the rookie Richardson on a team that ranked 30th in scoring offense and 27th in yardage offense last season, and is currently 11th in scoring and 12th in yards.  He currently ranks 2nd in YPG, first for RBs with more than 38 carries, 2nd in rushing 1st-Downs behind only McCaffrey, 8th in YPC for RBs with more than 38 carries, and 5th in Long Run.  

Cook plays with Allen on a team that ranked 2nd in both scoring and yardage offense last season and which is currently 3rd in scoring and 4th in yardage O.  

I have no idea how that doesn't at least to a significant extent relate to coaching.  ... on a side note.  

Edited by PBF81

6 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

And FWIW, here are Moss' and Cooks' numbers thus far this season.  

Keep in mind that Moss has played in only four games to Cook's five.  

Moss has 89 carries for 445 Yards, 3 rushing TDs, and 24 1st-Downs, a long run of 56, 5.0 YPC, and 111 YPG, 8 catches for 72 Yards, 1 receiving TD, and 517 YFS

Cook has 61 carries for 292 Yards, 1 rushing TD, 14 1st-Downs, a long run of 36, 4.8 YPC, and 58 YPG;  14 catches for 140 and 0 receiving TDs, and 432 YFS.  

Moss plays with Tannehill on a team that ranked 30th in scoring offense and 27th in yardage offense last season, and is currently 11th in scoring and 12th in yards.  He currently ranks 2nd in YPG, first for RBs with more than 38 carries, 2nd in rushing 1st-Downs behind only McCaffrey, 8th in YPC for RBs with more than 38 carries, and 5th in Long Run.  

Cook plays with Allen on a team that ranked 2nd in both scoring and yardage offense last season and which is currently 3rd in scoring and 4th in yardage O.  

I have no idea how that doesn't at least to a significant extent relate to coaching.  ... on a side note. 

Say what?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.