It's time for AJ Klein to shine

Joe Ferguson

Just now, Joe Ferguson said:

He may not be as quick as Milano but he's a smart veteran and already knows Bills defensive plays. There's a reason he is kept in the PS. He will shine in the starting lineup.

With Jones out we will need all the help we can get against the run.. Klein’s strength.

wont help much in pass coverage, though

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Toledo Bill said:

With Jones out we will need all the help we can get against the run.. Klein’s strength.

Poona Ford is a run stuffing/space eating 1T.  What we lose with Poona vs Daquan is Jones pass rush ability. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Poona Ford is a run stuffing/space eating 1T.  What we lose with Poona vs Daquan is Jones pass rush ability. 

Ford is 4 years younger and at the same point in his first five seasons he has more sacks and nearly twice the TFLs and QBHits in fewer starts.  

Jones had a great start with us, but like the past two seasons, we've started strong and if the pattern held, the D would have cooled off some.  

Same for Jones, it's unlikely that his 10 season was the charm for him at 32 to shatter any prior season's best.  

While we didn't play our best on Sunday, it's also quite possible and likely that opposing offensive coordinators have started to figure McD's D out.  

Edited by PBF81

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah...ummmm...I think your expectations are a tad high on this one.  Glad he is here for depth, but hoping he will go out there and shine suddenly after over a decade in the league feels like a reach

He's a very average player on a good day.  Not sure that sacrificing the development of Williams/Dodson is a worthwhile exchange.  

• Agree 1

One way or another we'll find out whether drafting Williams was a good use of a draft pick.  

BTW, how long is Jones out for?  I can't imagine more than a few weeks. 

I mean honestly, if we need A-Team D to beat the next three teams on our schedule then we have much bigger problems than anyone realizes.   Two of 'em are the two lowest scoring teams in the league, the third is 8th lowest scoring, all in the bottom quartile.  

That takes us through October.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Ford is 4 years younger and at the same point in his first five seasons he has more sacks and nearly twice the TFLs and QBHits in fewer starts.  

Jones had a great start with us, but like the past two seasons, we've started strong and if the pattern held, the D would have cooled off some.  

Same for Jones, it's unlikely that his 10 season was the charm for him at 32 to shatter any prior season's best.  

While we didn't play our best on Sunday, it's also quite possible and likely that opposing offensive coordinators have started to figure McD's D out.  

Definitely am intrigued by Poona Ford. 

1 hour ago, Toledo Bill said:

klein at will, rapp in at hybrid/heavy nickel. we can have rapp in with johnson and run a 3-3-5. rapp can be the sam, klein at will, and bernard at mike. this can allow rapp to go up against te's or slots while we bring klein up to the line.

basically, we need rapp to now play aztec.

liability is not having good edge setters. lawson can set an edge on the weakside, groot, philips, and ford on the inside, with miller on strongside smart enough to protect rapp.

found this quick

browsed it, looks reasonable to help understand what we can do.

Maybe one of the "silver linings" here is this defense is no stranger to playing without Milano.  He does have a history of missing games unfortunately.  And although he was definitely missed, we were still able to hang with our tougher opponents and usually win, as I recall.  Same thing can be said for Tre White.  We basically haven't had him for 2 years especially when you consider he was a shell of himself last season.  Over the past 2 years, we only played with "good" Tre White for 2-3 games.  So, I can talk myself into believing we can overcome these injuries, but the problem is it's only Week 5... who is to say there isn't more to come...

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Agreed

I don't envision the drop from Jones to him being all that much of a difference, who knows, it may be a positive.  Either way, it's far from the drop from White to Elam or Milano to whomever.  

I still recall when the first half of the season, Klein looked like a wounded duck is space and a liability. Then the Bills used him as a run stopper and blitzer and looked great! He had mad closing skills to tackle. It was night and day. He likely has lost some speed since, but he can used well. Not same role as Milano.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I've seen so many people talk up Poona Ford as Jones replacement. That's not happening.

He's been a healthy scratch all year. He may be active now, but he'll be behind Jordan Phillips and Tim Settle. Hell, we had Kendall Vickers active on Sunday and not Poona Ford.

Like Elam, Ford's not going from the doghouse to the penthouse.

• Agree 1

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

I've seen so many people talk up Poona Ford as Jones replacement. That's not happening.

He's been a healthy scratch all year. He may be active now, but he'll be behind Jordan Phillips and Tim Settle. Hell, we had Kendall Vickers active on Sunday and not Poona Ford.

Like Elam, Ford's not going from the doghouse to the penthouse.

Unfortunately I agree… but Settle doesn’t excite me either …

To me … this is a bigger need to go to the market for a replacement then CB or LB ..

3 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Unfortunately I agree… but Settle doesn’t excite me either …

To me … this is a bigger need to go to the market for a replacement then CB or LB ..

Settle has been disappointing after all of the hype we were hearing about him when he signed here.  I was expecting him to perform at the level Jones was.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Success said:

I was really hoping we wouldn't have an "it's time for AJ Klein to shine" thread at any point this season....

Not to worry, whatever Kline can’t handle I’m sure Josh Norman will be right there to clean it up…just as soon as he returns back to earth from that stiff arm…Screen_Shot_2020-10-14_at_3.27.06_PM.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.