It's time for AJ Klein to shine

Joe Ferguson

They need to use Klein downhill as much as possible and get him rushing the passer. In 2020 he had 5 sacks and 2 FF in a part time role. Just keep him out of coverage if they can. He does know this defense as well any veteran on this roster so we know he’s going to be in the right place more often than not. I’m cautiously optimistic. We’ve played without Milano before and thrived.

4 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Im not sure what you’re complaining about. 

As a longtime Bills fan, I’d love to see AJ playing against SF this year. 

If we rely on AJ Kline during regular season over developing our young talent they will not accomplish their goals in thr playoffs. It’s that simple. 

1 hour ago, BananaB said:

Winning don’t matter if you lose in the playoffs. We know we’re gonna win games, especially with a few weak teams coming up. You want to improve as the season goes on and be your best in the playoffs. You think Klein is gonna be our best option when we face teams like KC, SF and Philly? Lmao! It’s an option but it’s gonna be frustrating to watch

It depends on defense they design.  In playoff game against Ravens Leslie Frazier It designed defense to contain and frustrate Lemar Jackson.

Trent Murphy (who had been inactive for last few games and many, many posters on this board were suggesting he be cut) was used to contain him but not rush him since when that is done he usually escapes and creates a long play.  He was kept in pocket on that side of field and threat neutralized.  Other teams who had players capable of running this defense copied it.

It is clownish to insist that players which have not shown anything are solution just because they are younger.

banana-peel-slips.gif 

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

It depends on defense they design.  In playoff game against Ravens Leslie Frazier It designed defense to contain and frustrate Lemar Jackson.

Trent Murphy (who had been inactive for last few games and many, many posters on this board were suggesting he be cut) was used to contain him but not rush him since when that is done he usually escapes and creates a long play.  He was kept in pocket on that side of field and threat neutralized.  Other teams who had players capable of running this defense copied it.

It is clownish to insist that players which have not shown anything are solution just because they are younger.

banana-peel-slips.gif 

I’m not saying the younger guy is the solution, I’m saying his potential to help this tram get better so we should put him on the field so he can reach that potential faster. If he doesn’t get it you can go back to Kline, he isn’t going anywhere. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2023 at 2:00 PM, Your Brown Eye said:

Dude has been in the league for 11 years. I don't think he was holding anything back for 10 seasons just waiting for his moment to "shine" in year 11. All you can hope for is an adequate stop-gap that won't win or lose the Bills games.

🤣😂🤣

You're not playing properly here.  

LOL 

23 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

he should have never been cut. The evaluations of this staff once again should be questioned. Far superior LB to Dodson

Said this last year and i was bitched at

Said it was a mistake to cut him. Mocked

Said we made a mistake not signing him when Baltimore did and we needed him. Laughed at.

Said it was a mistake we didn't try to trade for a LB including Klein when he was sent to the Bears because we needed help. Criticized.

Said when he was signed we needed him to be in the lockerroom, and ready to go. 

We know his floor. We know his ceiling. Spectar aint it. Dobson is struggling. Williams is a rogue undisciplined youngster. Klein can take hits for us tonight when we need the win. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/1/2023 at 8:04 AM, Sierra Foothills said:

IMO Klein has never been a below average LB. There are limitations to his game that the team masks well but also, that he more than makes up for in other aspects of his game.

The thing I simply can't wrap my head around is Dodson starting. I thought he looked lost last year and it was his 3rd year in the system. Maybe I'm wrong and the difference between him succeeding and failing is less than I think.

A few months before this revived topic I posted the above about AJ Klein.

Yes, this is a look at me, I was right post. Sue me.

I loved that tackle on Najee Harris... the one that looked like he was steer wrestling.

I'm glad McDermott understands how to play to the strengths of his players and doesn't simply discard them as unfit for his scheme.

8 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

A few months before this revived topic I posted the above about AJ Klein.

Yes, this is a look at me, I was right post. Sue me.

I loved that tackle on Najee Harris... the one that looked like he was steer wrestling.

I'm glad McDermott understands how to play to the strengths of his players and doesn't simply discard them as unfit for his scheme.

Exactly.  The defense was changed with Klein being in there and he was making calls for the defense.

I am looking forward to Baldy's review of the game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, letsgoteam said:

I'm to lazy to check. Didnt Klein start against KC in the past and did well?

I'm going to be a little less lazy than you...

2016 - Panthers vs Chiefs

2020 - Chiefs at Bills (regular season)

2020 - Bills at Chiefs (playoffs)

2021 - Bills at Chiefs (regular season)

2021 - Bills at Chiefs (playoffs)

Someone else now can dig into how he may have done in each of those games.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

-

I'm going to be a little less lazy than you...

2016 - Panthers vs Chiefs

2020 - Chiefs at Bills (regular season)

2020 - Bills at Chiefs (playoffs)

2021 - Bills at Chiefs (regular season)

2021 - Bills at Chiefs (playoffs)

Someone else now can dig into how he may have done in each of those games.  

So I dont think this paints the complete picture, but here we go! 

I will omit 2016 (good grief that's a long time ago haha)

Oct 19th 2020 (L 17-26): Klein is filling in for Milano and has 88% of DEF SNAPS: (7 tackles, 1 FF) (Tgt 4 times, only 1 completion allowed, 0 Passes Deflected)

Jan 24th 2021 (L 38-24): Klein gets 7 Def Snaps (no stats), (a missed tackle somewhere either D or ST)

Oct 10th 2021 (W 38-20): Klein again in for Milano and has 63% of DEF SNAPS: (9 tackles) (Tgt 8 times, 6 completions, 0 Pass Def)

13 Seconds: NO defensive snaps

I'm not sure what to make of it, the one game they get 6 completions off of him, the team wins by 18, so who knows if that includes some garbage time catches?

Just pure eye balls, he seems to play hard, but doesnt have the twitch like the others. However it seems like AJ also knows this too and (again going off memory) probably plays very fundamentally sound.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

I'm not sure what to make of it, the one game they get 6 completions off of him, the team wins by 18, so who knows if that includes some garbage time catches?

Just pure eye balls, he seems to play hard, but doesnt have the twitch like the others. However it seems like AJ also knows this too and (again going off memory) probably plays very fundamentally sound.

I think someone will need to actually re-watch those games, to actually see how he did, instead of just relying on stat lines.  

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

So I dont think this paints the complete picture, but here we go! 

I will omit 2016 (good grief that's a long time ago haha)

Oct 19th 2020 (L 17-26): Klein is filling in for Milano and has 88% of DEF SNAPS: (7 tackles, 1 FF) (Tgt 4 times, only 1 completion allowed, 0 Passes Deflected)

Jan 24th 2021 (L 38-24): Klein gets 7 Def Snaps (no stats), (a missed tackle somewhere either D or ST)

Oct 10th 2021 (W 38-20): Klein again in for Milano and has 63% of DEF SNAPS: (9 tackles) (Tgt 8 times, 6 completions, 0 Pass Def)

13 Seconds: NO defensive snaps

I'm not an X's and O's guy, but what I remember of Klein in relief of Milano, possibly going back to 2020, was initially they tried to have him fill Milano's role, which went terribly because Milano is so much more athletic. Eventually, they took more advantage of his run stopping ability and changed up the way they utilized him and his instincts and the defense was much improved for it. I think if we get some DBs back and were able to utilize Klien's instincts and Williams's athleticism, as we did last night, the defense would be passable. I would worry about a combination of, say, Klein and Spector, because I think they are similar players and we'd lack for athleticism. I feel like part of the reason Dodson has done as well as he has in relief of Milano was because he was paired with Bernard's athleticism. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.