Props for AJ

BillsFan619

AJE has definitely flashed at times. He was the right guy to keep over Boogie and he's shown improvement as a pass rusher each year in the league IMO. Teams need guys like him that can step in and give you some snaps a game.

That all said, I'd still like to see him improve in the run game at setting the edge. But as far as a backup DE he's good. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

AJE has definitely flashed at times. He was the right guy to keep over Boogie and he's shown improvement as a pass rusher each year in the league IMO. Teams need guys like him that can step in and give you some snaps a game.

That all said, I'd still like to see him improve in the run game at setting the edge. But as far as a backup DE he's good. 

Yes he was the right guy to keep over Boogie. He'll be a nice #4 rotational pass rusher after Groot, Floyd & Von.  He still has to develop his pass rush moves.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I like AJE and think he still has more potential.

TBH, I hope we let Gabe walk, and focus on (if it's possible) extending Floyd, Jones and Epenesa.   Bring back Lawson and Phillips on cheap deals and draft a space eating DT.  

Through three games, it looks like Beane finally got the DL right and we're seeing how incredibly important that is. 

AJE is showing to be a splash player off the edge that brings consistent pressure for a rotational guy.  His length and athleticism, along with Floyd and Rousseau "could" be a game changer against Tua and that quick rhythm passing attack.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

It's almost like every dude that was underperforming last year under Frazier is performing at a much higher level this year...Oliver(for the most part), AJE, etc...

Kinda like the Granato effect with the Sabres where the good players suddenly became good again and actually reached new heights in their careers...

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It's almost like every dude that was underperforming last year under Frazier is performing at a much higher level this year...Oliver(for the most part), AJE, etc...

Imagine what Edmunds could do in this defense. 😉

(Sorry - couldn't resist.)

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Why doesn't he do this every week?

Because other teams we cannot bring the HOUSE on QB?

26 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I saw the title and wonder what on earth Klein had done to deserve props.

Heard he had played Washington DE Chase Young in practice,  Dion Dawkins made a comment about AJ getting him ready.

Semi-related, but one thing I noticed while re-watching the game this week was how Floyd gets upheld so fast, but not too far upfield to be completely taken out of the play - he's always aware where the ball is and seems to be in position to set the edge/contain.  This I think has been AJs biggest weakness - there are times where he takes himself out of plays and loses contain by just willy-nilly going upfield

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Beast said:

I think AJE will be key to this weeks game.

Tua gets the ball out so quick I believe the best way to attack him is to bull rush and get your hands up. Taking it wide and you’ll be ineffective.

I believe he’s our best DE at doing just that.

Completely agree. AJ is actually a pretty tall dude. He and Groot… respect the run and get those hands up. That can really impact this Miami offense.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Great play!

I do think AJ is a little on the smaller side to call it a thick six tho lol

There are linebackers around his weight in the league... A d tackle bringing it back is a thick six

265 current weight - not too many LBs that big.  Levon Kirkland retired a while ago!

15 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

265 current weight - not too many LBs that big.  Levon Kirkland retired a while ago!

Bills have him listed at 260

And the 2023 average size of an NFL linebacker is 240 lbs.. which means they're certainly are some 250-260 lb linebackers running around

I usually start the weight rating for a thick 6 at 285-290

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Haha (+1) 1

I have given him some grief on this board for not setting the edge when he is on an island out there taking an inside rush, but you can tell he has been working hard on his craft.

Teams used to do the same with Hughes run or roll outside when he would take himself out of the play with that inside move and get pinned in the scrum.

With Hughes it also helped that offensive linemen could literally headlock him without drawing holding calls.

His beef with the zebras had consequences.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Beast said:

I think AJE will be key to this weeks game.

Tua gets the ball out so quick I believe the best way to attack him is to bull rush and get your hands up. Taking it wide and you’ll be ineffective.

I believe he’s our best DE at doing just that.

I hope McDermott drills that idea into the heads of every defensive lineman. Tua has a very quick release and sacks aren’t going to come easy like last week. 

• Agree 2

42 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I hope McDermott drills that idea into the heads of every defensive lineman. Tua has a very quick release and sacks aren’t going to come easy like last week. 

That's why guys like Hill need to be disrupted at the line, just to throw the quick release timing off.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

That's why guys like Hill need to be disrupted at the line, just to throw the quick release timing off.

By playing them physical they are risking a huge play. If Tyreek breaks free then he’s gone. Usually i HATE this philosophy, but Buffalo needs to play slightly back and keep everything in front of them. Let Tua dink & dunk his way into field goals. Send an occasional blitz their way. This is only assuming the front 4 is playing good. At least this what I think McDermott is planning to do. 

7 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

Are we going so far as giving him flowers too or just props? Flowers is one step above props, right?

Just props. I'm pretty sure a thread already declared Tre White was getting flowers this week. There are only enough flowers to go to one player a week or else we will have another Dutch tulip crisis on our hands....ain't nobody got time for that

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.