Worst loss of week 1 - POLL

Dan Darragh

Worst loss of Week 1?  

221 members have voted

1. 1. Which team's fans should be most worried after their week 1 loss?

• Bills
    • Bengals
    • Chiefs
    • Giants
    • Vikings
    • Chargers
    • Steelers

Lol Bills loss is no where near as bad as Giants and Bengals were who combined for 3 points.  Giants looked like they were playing a scrimmage and Bengals and Burrow just crapped the bed after over paying him.  

Allen had a bad game, one of his worst in terms of decisions, but Bills still had a chance to win this game.  The other teams were never in the game at all and got utterly manhandled by their divisional rivals.  

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Between the Giants and the Bills. The Giants because they were not competitive at all. Didn't deserve to be on the same field as the Cowboys.

The Bills because this isn't some isolated bad night for Josh. It was the worst it has been but some of these issues we saw in the pre-season game at Pittsburgh. We saw in the Bengal game. We saw in the Miami playoff game and we saw at times down the stretch last season. At the end of 2022 I was thinking "well his line is terrible" and "the elbow isn't 100%" then in pre-season I was saying "just pre-season doesn't wanna get hit" but last night there were no excuses. I thought the line held up okay under stress. He had enough around him in terms of skill guys and he looked as bad as ever. Dorsey can be part of this conversation too but ultimately I think it is just decision making on Josh's part. And it has been happening for a while. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

Which team should be most worried about their WIN??  

A: Jets (Playoff hopes just ended)!

Did you watch? This team rallied around Wilson. They are more than capable of doing this to us again. 

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I went with the giants. I would put the chargers next and then probably Buffalo. 

Some serious denial right here.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

The Bengals, in my opinion.

They were steamrolled by a remarkably average (though solid) Browns team.

We lost to the best defense in the NFL because our QB switched brains with Nathan Peterman.

Burrow missed a lot of the preseason which does matter.  Their defense played pretty well.  Burrow is 1 - 5 against the Brown's.  Some teams just match up better.

9 hours ago, Einstein said:

The Bengals, in my opinion.

They were steamrolled by a remarkably average (though solid) Browns team.

We lost to the best defense in the NFL because our QB switched brains with Nathan Peterman.

our QB may not have a brain to switch with anyone.  He looks the same as he has every year sans 2021.  He cannot read a defense, cannot slide, continues to throw "hero ball" into triple coverage when there is zero reason to do so, and abandons what the D is giving him.  He is MILES behind Mahomes and Burrow at this point.  He pulled this same garbage against the Jets and Minn last season, and in the Bengals playoff loss.  He is the epitome of a "dumb jock" at this point.    

5 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Burrow was injured and was rushed back. What's Josh's excuse? CTE?

JA excuse is stubbornness and laziness?  

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Between the Giants and the Bills. The Giants because they were not competitive at all. Didn't deserve to be on the same field as the Cowboys.

The Bills because this isn't some isolated bad night for Josh. It was the worst it has been but some of these issues we saw in the pre-season game at Pittsburgh. We saw in the Bengal game. We saw in the Miami playoff game and we saw at times down the stretch last season. At the end of 2022 I was thinking "well his line is terrible" and "the elbow isn't 100%" then in pre-season I was saying "just pre-season doesn't wanna get hit" but last night there were no excuses. I thought the line held up okay under stress. He had enough around him in terms of skill guys and he looked as bad as ever. Dorsey can be part of this conversation too but ultimately I think it is just decision making on Josh's part. And it has been happening for a while. 

this, exactly.  

JA has failed to improve.  If this is his ceiling, it's simply not good enough.  

10 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

Which team should be most worried about their WIN??  

A: Jets (Playoff hopes just ended)!

Jets will follow the 49ers roadmap. Short quick passes and run the ball. Play solid D that keeps you close. Limit the mistakes. They have enough weapons in Hall, Wilson, Cook. If they add a TE or another WR then they could be really tough. I actually think playing more conservative fits their mold than Rodgers may have. Unless he was willing to play the quick short game.

I vote the Bengals but the bills are a very close second.

giant would be number one of course but realistically, who gives a crap about the Giants. They don’t have Super Bowl expectations.

honestly, what I saw out of the bills offense is very close to what I expected to see. I was not expecting some great or even good offensive performance. But we needed to keep the turnovers to two at the most, and not doing so I think cost us the game.

I expect the Jets defense to be top five in the league, all season long and maybe even number one. The only thing that would really keep them from being number one is the incompetence of their own quarterback play.

still, it was a bad performance, and one that they let slip away against a quarterback they should’ve beat. But again the same bad quarterback beat the bills last year so it’s not like this is shocking.

The Bengals offense was terrible, and while the Browns might have a good defense, I don’t think it’s anywhere near the level of the Jets defense.

The Bengals can also fall back on “Hey, we sucked at the beginning of last year too” so nothing to see here. 

Just as the bills can fall back on, “we sucked against the Jets defense twice last year, and still won the division.”

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The Giants was an all time embarrasing performance.  Worst O line I can remember.  Evan Neil at RT (1st round pick) makes Spencer Brown look almost competent.  Daniel Jones was done after the 1st series.  Scared to throw the ball.  Cowboys are good on Defense.  But Dak will screw it up at some point during the season.  

Awful loss for the Bills last nite.  And despite all of Josh's turnovers, we had the ball in OT and could have won the game and did nothing.  That's on coaching as much as execution, because we had nothing to turn to playwise to get down the field.  Its 1st and 15, how about a screen to Murray or Harris?  Both were fresh and barely played.  How about a seam pass down the middle to Kincaid off of play action?   How about send Diggs deep down the field drawing double coverage, and have Sherfield or Shakir cross underneath at 15-20 yards.  Even a sweep by Josh w a bunch of blockers leading the way was better then the 3 BS plays we ran.  Total failure by the coaching staff. 

And of course the game should have never got to OT.  But you just had a sense that the team really had no game plan coming in.  McDermott's teams have had no identity the past several seasons.  Its just been let Josh work his magic, and Hyde and Poyer will cover the back end.  Well the magic has gone poof.  And Hyde and Poyer have gotten old.     

The Giants was an all time embarrasing performance.  Worst O line I can remember.  Evan Neil at RT (1st round pick) makes Spencer Brown look almost competent.  Daniel Jones was done after the 1st series.  Scared to throw the ball.  Cowboys are good on Defense.  But Dak will screw it up at some point during the season.  

Awful loss for the Bills last nite.  And despite all of Josh's turnovers, we had the ball in OT and could have won the game and did nothing.  That's on coaching as much as execution, because we had nothing to turn to playwise to get down the field.  Its 1st and 15, how about a screen to Murray or Harris?  Both were fresh and barely played.  How about a seam pass down the middle to Kincaid off of play action?   How about send Diggs deep down the field drawing double coverage, and have Sherfield or Shakir cross underneath at 15-20 yards.  Even a sweep by Josh w a bunch of blockers leading the way was better then the 3 BS plays we ran.  Total failure by the coaching staff. 

And of course the game should have never got to OT.  But you just had a sense that the team really had no game plan coming in.  McDermott's teams have had no identity the past several seasons.  Its just been let Josh work his magic, and Hyde and Poyer will cover the back end.  Well the magic has gone poof.  And Hyde and Poyer have gotten old.     

• Agree 1

Power rankings don't usually get highlighted here when the Bills lose of course. But some of these losses make it an interesting exercise for week 1:

1. 49ers

2. Cowboys

3. Dolphins

4. Eagles

5. Lions

6. Browns

7. Ravens

8. Chiefs

9. Jaguars

10. Packers

11. Rams

12. Saints

13. Jets

14. Chargers

15. Patriots

16. Bengals 

17. Bills

18. Bucs

19. Vikings

20. Falcons 

21. Raiders

22. Commanders

23. Broncos

24. Titans

25. Steelers

26. Colts

27. Seahawks

28. Texans

29. Cardinals

30. Panthers

31. Giants

32. Bears

On 9/12/2023 at 1:35 AM, Dr.Sack said:

I chose Buffalo because Allen looked like the worst QB of week 1 who reverted to 2018 Josh. At least 2019 kept the TOs to a minimum. 

Burrow was clearly the worst IMHO… 80 yards passing 50% completion and 0 TDs.

Allen led some scoring drive’s including a game tying drive with clock running out, sure his decision making cost them the game but he at least had them in a game to lose.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/12/2023 at 4:34 AM, stinky finger said:

Did you watch? This team rallied around Wilson. They are more than capable of doing this to us again. 

Some serious denial right here.

They squeaked out an OT win after our QB handed them the game. Give them credit , sure but wasn’t much of a rally. The reality is their season is effectively over. 

• Agree 1

On 9/12/2023 at 1:35 AM, Dr.Sack said:

I chose Buffalo because Allen looked like the worst QB of week 1 who reverted to 2018 Josh. At least 2019 kept the TOs to a minimum. 

Lol 81 yards 0 TDs = Joe Burrow

At least Allen showed some balls and went out throwing. 

On 9/12/2023 at 2:55 PM, Paup 1995MVP said:

Okay man we get it !

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

They squeaked out an OT win after our QB handed them the game. Give them credit , sure but wasn’t much of a rally. The reality is their season is effectively over. 

Not much of a rally? 

We had a 10 point lead. Their QB1 was knocked out before he broke a sweat.

You’re telling me about reality? Please.

You know nothing of the sort. 

40 minutes ago, stinky finger said:

Not much of a rally? 

We had a 10 point lead. Their QB1 was knocked out before he broke a sweat.

You’re telling me about reality? Please.

You know nothing of the sort. 

It was an OT win on a return. Allen tossed 3 picks. I give ‘em credit, but it was hardly an all time great comeback. JA handed them the win, and they took it. They won’t make the playoffs , hence their fans have the most to worry about. They’ve gone from Rodgers to a guy who was “ finished in NY” not too long ago. Stick a fork in em 

I didn’t vote Giants, Vikings or Steelers, because I think those fan bases kind of knew their teams would be bubble playoff teams, and week 1 doesn’t really change that much.

I voted Bengals, because Burrow still seems kind of banged up. If he isn’t right, then they are sunk.

I actually think second would be Chiefs because they looked bad on offense against a not great Lions defense without Kelce. If he has health issues this year, it looks like they will need to figure something out.

Third I would say the Bills, because Allen hasn’t looked good the last stretch of games. Can he pull his head out of his rear?

6 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I voted Bengals, because Burrow still seems kind of banged up. If he isn’t right, then they are sunk.

I actually think second would be Chiefs because they looked bad on offense against a not great Lions defense without Kelce. If he has health issues this year, it looks like they will need to figure something out.

Third I would say the Bills, because Allen hasn’t looked good the last stretch of games. Can he pull his head out of his rear?

Chiefs didn’t look that bad at all… They played well at the position of importance; QB

Dont think their loss showed anything other than that defense needs Chris Jones and the offense is better with Kelce. Something anyone could tell you, even the most casual football fan. 

Our loss is ahead of them by a margin purely due to Jets losing Rodgers. Once we were up 10 @ the half, there is no reason they should be losing to a Zach Wilson led team. 

Josh absolutely lost it but 3rd down defense when it mattered wasn’t that good again which concerns me given our HC. 

Edited by BBFL

21 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Chiefs didn’t look that bad at all… They played well at the position of importance; QB

Dont think their loss showed anything other than that defense needs Chris Jones and the offense is better with Kelce. 

Our loss is ahead of them by a margin purely due to them losing Rodgers. Once they were up 10 @ the half, there is no reason they should be losing to a Zach Wilson led team. 

Josh absolutely lost it but 3rd down defense when it mattered wasn’t that good again which concerns me given our HC. 

It doesn’t matter how good your QB is if your receivers can’t catch or get open. I also think Mahomes had an off night. A lot of the drops were not well placed passes. Kelce should be back, and it will be fine for them. But if he’s hindered by lingering issues all year there is no replacement for him (maybe in the history of the NFL, let alone a player they could insert into their lineup this year).

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

It was an OT win on a return. Allen tossed 3 picks. I give ‘em credit, but it was hardly an all time great comeback. JA handed them the win, and they took it. They won’t make the playoffs , hence their fans have the most to worry about. They’ve gone from Rodgers to a guy who was “ finished in NY” not too long ago. Stick a fork in em 

We agree on everything here except......I think the Jets will scheme to some low scoring, close to the vest type wins. Maybe enough to slip into the playoffs. 

OTOH, our boy Josh needs to take a deep breath, not force things, trust his protections and play less reckless with the ball.

Go Bills!

In terms of season impact, its the Jets. 

In terms of worst showing that a team should be concerned about, its the Giants without a close second place.  They did not belong on the field with the Cowboys. 

In terms of the worst last play of a game, its the Bills with no close second.  Coaching staff needs to find a way fpr the team to stop choking in situations where there is an opportunity to win the game at the end. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.