Meanwhile in Foxboro, "In the End There Can Be Only One"

Beck Water

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The Highlander plan at QB?

Genius.

Zappe cut, which was surprising to me.

Talking heads around here think they will sign Colt McCoy.. I wanted Cunningham to be the backup since he is so different than Mac.. I hope he ends up on the practice squad.. I think he has some promise..

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Talking heads around here think they will sign Colt McCoy.. I wanted Cunningham to be the backup since he is so different than Mac.. I hope he ends up on the practice squad.. I think he has some promise..

Kind of feels like you'd want your backup to be able to run a similar offense as the starter, unless of course the starter is ***** terrible.

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Kind of feels like you'd want your backup to be able to run a similar offense as the starter, unless of course the starter is ***** terrible.

Actually with a good OC having two different style QBs wouldn’t be that big of a deal.  If anything with the O line we have right now having someone can run for his life may come in handy!

5 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Superficially, my reaction was to laugh.

But after looking at McCoy's recent performance, I think it makes sense, actually.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

Wait Randall Cunningham is coming back.  Wow.  Just kidding.  I’m in a Hurricane, that’s my excuse and running with it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

As long as we sit here Lombardi-less, I refuse to talk smack about the Brady-era Patriots. 

That's more accurate if you don't want to throw shade at them.

Meanwhile, I will enjoy the Belichick-era as it is.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, buffalobillswin said:

Imagine going into the season with Mac Jones as the only QB on your roster and then looking at the other QBs in the division

But you see, that's the genius of it all. Belichick still playing 3D chess while everyone else is playing tiddlywinks. 

Just now, The Wiz said:

That's more accurate if you don't want to throw shade at them.

Perhaps. But my point stands. 

Belichick got his hands on a top tier QB and led them to multiple championships, beginning with Brady’s 3rd season. 

We are entering year six of Josh Allen. 

24 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Perhaps. But my point stands. 

Belichick got his hands on a top tier QB and led them to multiple championships, beginning with Brady’s 3rd season. 

We are entering year six of Josh Allen. 

It was year 2 for Brady.. but I get your point. A lot of Colts fans said it when they had Manning too.  Also to add to your point he kept a 6th round QB around when the Pat’s had their 1st round Franchise QB. (I think Bledsoe just signed a huge contract at that time too)

Edited by PatsFanNH
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, buffalobillswin said:

Imagine going into the season with Mac Jones as the only QB on your roster and then looking at the other QBs in the division

They have a capable run game and a terrific defense. They’ll find a vet QB which is a better plan behind Jones than Zappe anyway.

I seem to remember the Patriots did exactly the same thing two years ago, when Jones was a rookie.  They decided to move on from Cam Newton and figured they could probably re-sign Brian Hoyer.  Maybe they had an agreement, maybe they didn't.  It's really not a bad strategy.  Would we have been too upset if we cut Kyle Allen and just left Josh on the roster and then either re-signed Kyle or picked someone else up (like maybe Cunnningham off the waiver wire)?

Here's the 2021 "final" Patriots roster before the 21 season:  https://www.patspulpit.com/2021/8/31/22648576/new-england-patriots-initial-53-man-roster-after-cutdown-day

13 minutes ago, PonyBoy said:

Devil's advocate here, what would this board look like today if McBeane cut Barkley and K Allen? Plausible with the way K Allen played. 

I'll hang up and listen, thank you

🙂

Giddy. The mood would be absolute joy at speculating what shiny new QB2 would be coming in, if it's someone that's a FA or a trade. People would hype up their choices all day long and be left with the return of the Peterman or Mason Rudolph and a PS QB that no one ever heard of...except one random poster that is hyped because they "really liked them coming out of college" a few years back.

12 hours ago, section122 said:

Cunningham looked electric running the ball.  Have to imagine he will be on a ps somewhere would love it to be w the Bills.  

Beli-CHEAT's cut players have this habit of returning home like Russian defectors which are expelled after found they are spying.

3 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Or an indication of how bad Bailey Zappe is 

Yeah, I'm gonna give him a pass on the drafting then cutting Zappe. If you're just not seeing it, then it's best to eat the sunk cost and move on.

Zappe kind of reminds me of a Matt Flynn as Rodgers' backup. Gets in a few games and has great results. The Seahawks paid him to come in and be their QB after that. And then they drafted Russell Wilson in the 4th round, and Wilson thoroughly outplayed Flynn in camp and preseason. Pete Carroll made the right call. A less confident coach would've started Flynn ...

... we'll know when we see how much interest Zappe gets from other teams.

15 hours ago, buffalobillswin said:

not a best practice esp of a Hall of Fame coach, interesting to see who his backup (imrprovement ?) turns out to be..

as far as the Bills. go with a vet a qb2 for sure, with Barkley on IR you have another vet in the qb room to help but for active qb3 ?  young athletic project that we could hang onto for a few years would likely be good...for the scout teams in practice, saves us a mid-late round pick every-other year, and at some point becomes qb2 ?  Note: less than half of the NFL has a qb3 on roster as of today.  

Edited by First Round Bust

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.