Speculation and discussion on Bills final roster cuts

Simon

56 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Bend but don't break!

Leslie Frazier's philosophy. Or was in Sean McDermott? We'll find out.

We will see how much difference having new play caller will make as it is the same defense. Hoping we will see McDermott be more aggressive in certain situations especially come playoff time. You can live with a middle of the pack defense as other teams have shown if you can force the opposition into making mistakes in critical situations. Against the elite QBs you can't sit back and let them just beat you.

Edited by billieve420
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

For anyone interested, Spotrac has the Bills with $2.564M in cap space under the Top 51 rule and $1.06M with all the contracts.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

OTC has an extra $3M or so, but they don't show their work the way Spotrac does, so it's hard to know where they get that from.

Beane stays under the Top 51 until September 10th, so he has leeway in doing some cap "gymnastics".

Signing back Ferguson and Ifedi should add a little over $2M in contract money.  PS should add around another $3.7M.

Having the guys go to IR/PUP opens up spots on the 53 rosters but they have to be replaced with other player salaries.

"Stashing" costs money, LOL.

FWIW.

Edited by ColoradoBills
Barkley's IR Cap Hit reduced.
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Chiefs DL didn't handle them.  Chris Jones handled them.  He was a gamewrecker, and without him, the Chiefs DL would've looked a lot like ours.

....especially if they inexplicably played off coverage all game. 

Thats why I said its more important to have individual game wreckers than regular season statistics.

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

We will see how much difference having new play caller will make as it is the same defense. Hoping we will see McDermott be more aggressive in certain situations especially come playoff time. You can live with a middle of the pack defense as other teams have shown if you can force the opposition into making mistakes in critical situations. Against the elite QBs you can't sit back and let them just beat you.

Scheme can hide some talent deficiencies and enhance what talent we have.  We will know by the end of the regular season where we are truly at.

21 minutes ago, jletha said:

Thats why I said its more important to have individual game wreckers than regular season statistics.

yep just dont have enough impact / difference makers relative to the other championship teams, that includes outscheming/coaching

• Vomit 1

Only guy I think is a no brainer, “why haven’t we already signed him” guy is Christian Kirksey. He’s an immediate upgrade at our worst position and hopefully pride doesn’t get in the way of Beane/McDermott sticking with the 🤢 Dodson/Bernard combo over bringing in Kirksey

• Like (+1) 4

51 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Against the elite QBs you can't sit back and let them just beat you.

I think that's right. The old Moneyball Billy Beane quote: "My [crap] doesn't work in the playoffs."

Playing Zach Wilson and Mac Jones 4 times a year? Make them beat you by sustaining those long drives without a mistake (penalty, bad throw, drop, etc.)

Playing Patrick Mahomes in the playoffs? He'll say "Thank you, I'll have some more."

People talking about scheme and elite players like we had anyone who wasn't injured left to carry any of that out. Our coaches and front office did all they could.  Sure the Bengals were playing back ups on the O line but with Jones and Miller out they they ran the ball until we had to scheme run and then they threw the ball against our secondary with no starting safeties.  It's not as simple as we have no stars and our coaches suck.  If you have half your starters out and particularly your biggest stars (Miller, Hyde, Jones, and essentially Poyer) it's going to be pretty hard to run your defense.  Even with just the injuries to Hyde and Miller it's a massive change to the defense.  There's a little luck in any championship and that includes having the right people healthy when you need them.  IMHO the biggest need this defense has is a DT who plays in the backfield so QB's can't step up and get chased to the DE's.  If Oliver actually shows some of that or Phillips finds his old form/stays healthy it would make a huge difference.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Yantha said:

Jalen Reagor, former first round pick has been cut by the Vikings.

I'd drop Harty and sign Reagor.....

Reagor simply doesn’t have it upstairs. All the physical tools, but he has little game sense and less coordination.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, jletha said:

It's exactly why the Bills need a healthy Von come playoff time. He is a difference maker. He just makes everyone around him better too. 

Football Gods please protect Von and Allen. 

6 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Ponna Ford not getting cut is a surprise to me.

Why?  He’s our second best one technique.

5 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Not to knit pick. No way was that Bengal game one big defensive play away from winning the game. More like 50. 

Yeah.  We know.  Thanks for your daily reminder of that game.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Doc, I think some people have done zero he on Poona from his time in Seattle.  Seattle went to a 3-4 and he became invisible which is why he asked to be released.  Carrol is a decent coach at the end of the day, but the couple years prior he was an effective 1 tech in a 4-3.  He’s a sound backup for Oliver and Phillips.

Phillips is effective, but odds on favorite he doesn’t make it 18 weeks.

• Agree 1

Just now, machine gun kelly said:

Doc, I think some people have done zero he on Poona from his time in Seattle.  Seattle went to a 3-4 and he became invisible which is why he asked to be released.  Carrol is a decent coach at the end of the day, but the couple years prior he was an effective 1 tech in a 4-3.  He’s a sound backup for Oliver and Phillips.

Phillips is effective, but odds on favorite he doesn’t make it 18 weeks.

Another lesson learned from last year when D. Jones missed the final playoff game and Phillips played with one arm.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Yantha said:

Jalen Reagor, former first round pick has been cut by the Vikings.

I'd drop Harty and sign Reagor.....

He's a fast runner for sure

As a learner, not so much!  

Eagles O and Vikings O and Bills O require an advanced degree to absorb.  

59 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

He seemed to have a hard time at camp and with the Steelers.  But he did enough for the staff to keep him on the 53.  I personally hope he pans out.

34 minutes ago, 17islongenough said:

Kick the tires?

Wow, that was not expected.  I would offer him a PS spot, call him up if needed.

• Disagree 1

20 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Germain Ifedi is now signed. We will now see if Anderson sticks. I don't know that we keep 10 OL or not.

Agreed that Anderson may go to the PS.  He is probably the 53rd player on the roster.  

I don't know much about Anderson, but, IF the Bill really like him as a Center I could see them trying to keep him around till next year.

• Simon unpinned this topic
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.