Speculation and discussion on Bills final roster cuts

Simon

Please use this thread to discuss opinions on the Bills final cuts for this season so that the pinned thread can stay clean for people to quickly find information on actual cuts.

Gracias!

I'll start.

I want Richard Gouraige to make it because The Garage is a fine nickname for an OT.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Kyle Allen should stay on the team (contrary to the other thread where some say he should be cut). He’s best buddies with Josh. If you watched the movie “Seabiscuit”, the horse performed much better when it had the best buddy in the stable/paddock. And beer. 

This argument is copyrighted and cannot be used in any other thread without express permission of the author. 

• Haha (+1) 6

49 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Kyle Allen should stay on the team (contrary to the other thread where some say he should be cut). He’s best buddies with Josh. If you watched the movie “Seabiscuit”, the horse performed much better when it had the best buddy in the stable/paddock. And beer. 

This argument is copyrighted and cannot be used in any other thread without express permission of the author. 

Cut Kyle Allen. Sign a QB who doesn’t suck so much to be #2. Sign Hailee Steinfeld to the PS. Best of both worlds.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think they find a way to keep Cam Lewis and/or JaMarcus Ingram.

This would require a likely trade at CB, if we kept both.

Safer bet, I'd say we keep Cam and roll with just 5 LBs.  I've been advocating using Neal/Rapp as 'dime'/subpackage looks.  If that occurs, I could see the team justifying keeping an extra secondary player VS LB (especially since I'm not sure we have 6 LBs worth a roster spot)

• Agree 1

I feel like Cam Lewis has more utility to this team than Kaiir Elam, given that the former can play two positions and is a standout special teamer, and the latter is 4th string at his position and is not a standout special teamer.

I'm not predicting that they cut Elam, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if they traded him and Lewis made the team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

So haven't read much lately about this, will Beane likely have to re-do some contracts also in the next 24 hours to get the total $$ for the top 51 under the salary cap limit?  Recall reading months back, White and Dawkins were suggested candidates.  Miller also was mentioned, or did he already redo his in the spring?

5 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So haven't read much lately about this, will Beane likely have to re-do some contracts also in the next 24 hours to get the total $$ for the top 51 under the salary cap limit?  Recall reading months back, White and Dawkins were suggested candidates.  Miller also was mentioned, or did he already redo his in the spring?

Miller was restructured in the spring.  Beane has a number of guys he can get a small amount from that will equal to enough money to get

through this week.  Also, a couple of guys could get extended like Jones as an example.  There are anywhere from 5 to 7 players under the

Top 51 who probably make the team.  This will also free up a little more cash.

I'm pretty sure Beane has all this worked out and has a number of options to work with.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Logic said:

I feel like Cam Lewis has more utility to this team than Kaiir Elam, given that the former can play two positions and is a standout special teamer, and the latter is 4th string at his position and is not a standout special teamer.

I'm not predicting that they cut Elam, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if they traded him and Lewis made the team.

Elam is not exactly "4th string".

White is entrenched on one side whileJackson, Benford and Elam are fighting  for the  CB2 job. 

Somebody has to back up Tre so I consider Elam "2nd string" on one side or the other. 

Some label Elam "CB4" which indocates how he ranks overwll as an outside CB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

Elam is not exactly "4th string".

White is entrenched on one side whileJackson, Benford and Elam are fighting  for the  CB2 job. 

Somebody has to back up Tre so I consider Elam "2nd string" on one side or the other. 

Some label Elam "CB4" which indocates how he ranks overwll as an outside CB.

Everyone acts like corners never get hurt. If Benford and Jackson are both playing well enough to keep a guy like Elam on the bench thats not a bad problem. You need lots of depth at that position and I'd be comfortable with any one of those guys starting 

• Agree 3

41 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Miller was restructured in the spring.  Beane has a number of guys he can get a small amount from that will equal to enough money to get

through this week.  Also, a couple of guys could get extended like Jones as an example.  There are anywhere from 5 to 7 players under the

Top 51 who probably make the team.  This will also free up a little more cash.

I'm pretty sure Beane has all this worked out and has a number of options to work with.

Forgot about Jones, he'd be a prime candidate for an extension.

• Agree 3

I'd cut Matakevich and put Spector on IR to make room for Neal and another player.  My disdain for the FB position is well known, but as many have pointed out Gilliam is as close to lock as anyone on the team. 

Matakevich can't play his position.  Neal and Lewis can. Shorter might be able to as well. 

I would only go with 5 LBs with Milano, Dodson, Bernard, Williams, and Klein. Why carry 6 linebackers when almost every game they don't dress one of them. The last three can play special teams. 

This opens a spot to keep an extra player at WR, DB, or OL.

• Agree 6

Here is another guy I'd cut in favor of more depth at other spots.

I'd cut Quentin Morris. I'd much rather carry an extra OL for blocking than Morris. Bills will be fine with Knox as the primary TE and Kincaid taking a few snaps at TE as well.

Many people on here like to remind me Gilliam can take snaps at TE as well. 

Don't see much use for Morris now. He's not really an elite blocker which is what you want out of your third TE and he's not much of a threat in the pass game. 

I'd prefer ther just line up Bates as an extra OL in heavy packages and use the extra roster spot for another OL depth guy. Maybe that allows you to keep McGovern off IR. 

2 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

I think they find a way to keep Cam Lewis and/or JaMarcus Ingram.

This would require a likely trade at CB, if we kept both.

Safer bet, I'd say we keep Cam and roll with just 5 LBs.  I've been advocating using Neal/Rapp as 'dime'/subpackage looks.  If that occurs, I could see the team justifying keeping an extra secondary player VS LB (especially since I'm not sure we have 6 LBs worth a roster spot)

Agree! 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 3

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Here is another guy I'd cut in favor of more depth at other spots.

I'd cut Quentin Morris. I'd much rather carry an extra OL for blocking than Morris. Bills will be fine with Knox as the primary TE and Kincaid taking a few snaps at TE as well.

Many people on here like to remind me Gilliam can take snaps at TE as well. 

Don't see much use for Morris now. He's not really an elite blocker which is what you want out of your third TE and he's not much of a threat in the pass game. 

I'd prefer ther just line up Bates as an extra OL in heavy packages and use the extra roster spot for another OL depth guy. Maybe that allows you to keep McGovern off IR. 

Agree! 

Quentin morris has two things the Bills really covet,  good hands and a long reach as a former basketball player.  I was hoping for a trade of Morris and get something for him but yes, there is not much room for three TEs on this team.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Logic said:

So you’re advocating that they keep Lewis over Elam? Did you watch Lewis play last year?!?! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Cam Lewis has value to our team!

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Simon said:

Please use this thread to discuss opinions on the Bills final cuts for this season so that the pinned thread can stay clean for people to quickly find information on actual cuts.

Gracias!

I'll start.

I want Richard Gouraige to make it because The Garage is a fine nickname for an OT.

The Bills Monster Gouraige?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Cut Kyle Allen. Sign a QB who doesn’t suck so much to be #2. Sign Hailee Steinfeld to the PS. Best of both worlds.

Keep Kyle for continuity and sign/trade for a vet who is younger, and better,than Barkley. My concern; if Josh misses game (s) will we have a backup that can keep the team afloat?

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Cam “can’t knock the ball down on 4th and forever” Lewis?

No freaking thank you.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Herb Nightly said:

Keep Kyle for continuity and sign/trade for a vet who is younger, and better,than Barkley. My concern; if Josh misses game (s) will we have a backup that can keep the team afloat?

If we get a QB better than Barkley then by default he’s immediately better than Allen. So really, there’d still be no need to keep Allen.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

With Bills cuts coming in, bumping this up top for discussion.

With Bills cuts coming in, bumping this up top for discussion.

To keep that thread clean I'll comment here.

I'm wondering if Dean Marlowe makes it to the PS.

The RB PS spot is a tough choice.  I can make an argument for Evans and Johnson.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

To keep that thread clean I'll comment here.

I'm wondering if Dean Marlowe makes it to the PS.

The RB PS spot is a tough choice.  I can make an argument for Evans and Johnson.

Don't forget about Mims. He looked good as well. I would think one of Marlowe or even Zayne Anderson end up on PS as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Simon changed the title to Speculation and discussion on Bills final roster cuts
1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I hope Alex Austin is brought back to the PS

Speaking about Austin, anybody knows how it works if he (or any other rookie for that matter) ends up on PS and then later in season is signed to 53? Does he get "original" 4-year rookie contract, or that contract ends with his first release and he needs to sign completely new one?

https://x.com/ryantalbotbills/status/1696516375496577058?s=46&t=RLsRhQJBb5vROsgfJWkwSw

Keeping discussion here as @BuffaloBillyGrequests. 

I bet Shavers makes the Practice Squad. I don’t think he’s valuable enough to get picked up by a team, but he has good physical talent and is someone to stash and develop.

1 minute ago, No_Matter_What said:

Speaking about Austin, anybody knows how it works if he (or any other rookie for that matter) ends up on PS and then later in season is signed to 53? Does he get "original" 4-year rookie contract, or that contract ends with his first release and he needs to sign completely new one?

If he clears waivers his original rookie contract is dropped and he becomes an UFA.

• Thank you (+1) 1

• Simon pinned this topic

The whole dump on Elam thing is legit. McDermott can coach CB'S. he got a lot out of some underwhelming guys and I really wanted Bradberry here.

But, it's too early to give up on Elam for anything less than a quality player and a 3rd. The prob is CB's don't have the value to trade for LB or OL like we need.

If anything wait until the deadline and package him up for a 3rd 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.