Colts grant Jonathan Taylor’s request to seek trade

Big Blitz

1 hour ago, BananaB said:

Who’s giving up picks and paying the 16 mil this clown wants

Why is he a clown?

it will be very interesting to actually hear what Indy is asking for. The owner has come out and basically said that RBs aren’t valuable, so can the team really ask for much?

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Why is he a clown?

it will be very interesting to actually hear what Indy is asking for. The owner has come out and basically said that RBs aren’t valuable, so can the team really ask for much?

They reportedly want a 1st round pick.  

I think this is all just for show to send a “you’re dreaming” message to Taylor.   

Who’s giving up a first for him?  Who has the cap room?  

The CMC trade is a logical comp.  But was made by a desperate team in the middle of the season - ask anyone before last season if they would have given what San Francisco did would they do that deal in August 2022?  I’d say absolutely not.  

Could the Colts let him sit till the end of October and get desperate teams into a bidding war?  

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

The Bears and Commanders make the most sense to me. Rams could try to make a play too.

Makes sense but you forgot the rule that all good players traded must go to an AFC competitor this off-season.

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Tua's cap hit goes up $13.5 million next year, Hill's goes up $18+ million & Chubb's goes up $19+ million. That's about $51 million in increases for just 3 guys.

And they have to sign their 2 DT’s and their DE #15. They’re up against it if they commit to Tua. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And the anonymous source tweets begin...more will certainly come.

So a team with a bad OL who wasn't willing to pay another talented RB in Dalvin is now going to both pay him even more money and give up draft assets (that they will need as their cap balloons soon) for a guy who is coming off am injury and a down year?  

Color me skeptical.  They could have just signed Dalvin cheaper and not had to trade any assets.  And Dalvin was making it clear he wanted to play there too.  

Dalvin ain’t that player anymore he’s lost a step while Taylor is young and in his prime. 

9 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

They reportedly want a 1st round pick.  

I think this is all just for show to send a “you’re dreaming” message to Taylor.   

Who’s giving up a first for him?  Who has the cap room?  

The CMC trade is a logical comp.  But was made by a desperate team in the middle of the season - ask anyone before last season if they would have given what San Francisco did would they do that deal in August 2022?  I’d say absolutely not.  

Could the Colts let him sit till the end of October and get desperate teams into a bidding war?  

So if that’s the case (that they are asking for a first rounder) that makes an incredibly strong argument as to why these players are upset. The owners and GMs don’t want to pay these guys but are going to ask for a lot in return in order to trade them? Doesn’t add up…

19 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

So if that’s the case (that they are asking for a first rounder) that makes an incredibly strong argument as to why these players are upset. The owners and GMs don’t want to pay these guys but are going to ask for a lot in return in order to trade them? Doesn’t add up

of course it does.  The Colts obviously want to keep him.  They are going to therefore ask a high ask. In the end, he will have to play for what they are offering or sit.

14 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Curious if this could happen.... NOT even talking about here, but was a spit-balling take from Cover2.  Say no teams were willing to trade and give a new contract, is it possible a team could offer to put in writing that they would NOT franchise tag him... just as the next best incentive for him as opposed to a new contract.  Just, we want your services for the year, we cant afford you, but to keep you happy/motivated, you'll get a chance to chase $$ as an Unrestricted next year?

Would just be interesting to see that precedent set, because anytime we see this situation most of the top dawg teams are immediately ruled out because of cap concerns.

Basically, can a team even offer a 'no franchise tag' clause? Has that happened before?

This is interesting. And quite frankly a great idea.

Not entirely unlike trubisky signing here a couple years ago. Play for peanuts on a good team and hope someone who can pay you sees you succeed. Tru couldn't take advantage, but the theory is similar.

I'm not 100% sure about this exact situation... But my experience in business is that you can put ANYTHING into a contract. As long as both parties sign it.

What's Taylor's phone #? I could give him a ring and talk to him about earning another...

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Dalvin ain’t that player anymore he’s lost a step while Taylor is young and in his prime. 

Well to be fair, Cook's season last year was on par with his past 4 seasons, so statistically there isn't any significant sign of that.  In fact, of the 2 RB's its Taylor coming off a down year and a late season injury.  

Again, not saying Cook is better than Taylor, just saying that the difference isn't significant enough to where the Dolphins would pass up paying Cook peanuts to now give up a first round pick and a lot more money to Taylor.  With Miami's cap situation coming up, it just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to invest that much into a RB, especially when they still have a good RB group there as it is.  

They didn't bite on Cook who was trying to go there and who fits their offense better, so just saying I am skeptical they are going to be players for Taylor at what he is likely going to cost in trade and contract.  

17 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well to be fair, Cook's season last year was on par with his past 4 seasons, so statistically there isn't any significant sign of that.  In fact, of the 2 RB's its Taylor coming off a down year and a late season injury.  

Again, not saying Cook is better than Taylor, just saying that the difference isn't significant enough to where the Dolphins would pass up paying Cook peanuts to now give up a first round pick and a lot more money to Taylor.  With Miami's cap situation coming up, it just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to invest that much into a RB, especially when they still have a good RB group there as it is.  

They didn't bite on Cook who was trying to go there and who fits their offense better, so just saying I am skeptical they are going to be players for Taylor at what he is likely going to cost in trade and contract.  

Grier has been star hunting since he took over as GM that’s a factor that hasn’t been considered here and the cap is a joke they can kick the can down the road easily 

• Disagree 1

From Sal Paolantonio's mouth to Brandon Beane's ears, Jonathan Taylor in Buffalo would equal Super Bowl!! Combination of speed and power. Exactly what this team needs. The playaction game would be very dangerous. I'd trade them Cook and our very high 1st for an accomplished, MVP caliber RB like JT28. I'd find a way to make the money work

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I know it won't happen but... get r done Beane.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/21/2023 at 6:18 PM, BillMafia716ix said:

Colts playing dirty. They know no teams gonna trade for him right now. Teams don’t have cap space right now to give him the deal he wants. 

I think more than a dozen teams have the cap space to add him,and some teams might have re-structure opportunities. 

5 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Every ESPN Radio show is shouting from the mountain top that the Bills have to do this immediately. 

They of course do not understand our cap situation.

As another poster mentioned, a trade that makes the most sense would be an in-season trade. Taylor needs to prove he has it still coming off the injury and a team needs to start off well and evaluate that indeed, a dominant RB is the missing piece. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

They of course do not understand our cap situation.

As another poster mentioned, a trade that makes the most sense would be an in-season trade. Taylor needs to prove he has it still coming off the injury and a team needs to start off well and evaluate that indeed, a dominant RB is the missing piece. 

None of it makes any sense.

Why these sports shows pretend its 1973 and the power run game is what wins Super Bowls I'll never know. 

Colts want a 1st for Taylor. They won't get that. But even if it's two 2nd Round picks. Now that kind of investment means that Taylor has to touch the ball 250+ times in your offense, when we know running the ball doesn't win Super Bowls - Nick Chubb, Derrick Henry, Dalvin Cook and so on. 

24 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Why these sports shows pretend its 1973 and the power run game is what wins Super Bowls I'll never know. 

Colts want a 1st for Taylor. They won't get that. But even if it's two 2nd Round picks. Now that kind of investment means that Taylor has to touch the ball 250+ times in your offense, when we know running the ball doesn't win Super Bowls - Nick Chubb, Derrick Henry, Dalvin Cook and so on. 

Those guys you mentioned didn't have a QB named Josh Allen on their roster. We're not saying running the football win Super Bowls, but with Taylor and Allen it would keep defenses on their heels. Cincinnati wasn't worried about Motor beating them in last year's playoff game. They'll have that worry with JT28

• Like (+1) 1

I was listening to 1 Bills Live, Browny & Tasker (mostly Tasker) was saying how Taylor isn't worth the money he's wanting . I for one totally disagree with all the so called "Experts" about how the running game isn't as significant a piece of the Championship puzzle as it once was .

I will agree that these players aren't used as much as they were because having a passing league is much more pleasing to the NFL pallet & its fans but talents like Saquon, Taylor, Jacobs, McCaffery are special .

Can any of us imagine what the Bills offense would look like if they would have gotten McCaffery last season or if they would insert any of these guys in there today ? I think just with the upgrades the Bills have made this season there will be a notable up tick in the run game production but any of these players the run game would be nearly unstoppable !! 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, T master said:

I was listening to 1 Bills Live, Browny & Tasker (mostly Tasker) was saying how Taylor isn't worth the money he's wanting . I for one totally disagree with all the so called "Experts" about how the running game isn't as significant a piece of the Championship puzzle as it once was .

I will agree that these players aren't used as much as they were because having a passing league is much more pleasing to the NFL pallet & its fans but talents like Saquon, Taylor, Jacobs, McCaffery are special .

Can any of us imagine what the Bills offense would look like if they would have gotten McCaffery last season or if they would insert any of these guys in there today ? I think just with the upgrades the Bills have made this season there will be a notable up tick in the run game production but any of these players the run game would be nearly unstoppable !! 

How many rings does your list of special RB's have?

Adding Taylor and the contract he desires makes zero sense for this team.  Maybe a team like CHI with a QB still on a rookie deal looking to take that next step.

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

if you have a respectable qb, a run is conceding the down in many cases. You don’t take the ball away from a top ten guy if possible. Which leaves great backs with meh quarterbacks 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

15 minutes ago, T master said:

counter: a big part of mccaffery is his role in the passing game. As a bell cow 300 carry down hill runner I’m not doing backflips for him. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

I really don't understand the media fascination with the Bills adding all these big name RB's.

Yes there are still a lot of question marks around Cook and this teams ability to run the football consistently as a whole. But I think if Beane were to finally go ' all in' that's going to be to fill one of the current gaping holes with a true difference maker (i.e. MLB).

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Those guys you mentioned didn't have a QB named Josh Allen on their roster. We're not saying running the football win Super Bowls, but with Taylor and Allen it would keep defenses on their heels. Cincinnati wasn't worried about Motor beating them in last year's playoff game. They'll have that worry with JT28

But of course Taylor wants money, which means the team that is trading for him must hand over draft assets and the extension. 

To justify the extension, the offense must give him the ball 250+ times a year. That's 15 carries a game if he plays all 17. 

We've just seen this too many times with running backs where that path ends. 

But I do think there is merit to one aspect of this. And that is this franchise has never won a Super Bowl. So is some respects, just going for it demonstrates the understanding that this city, fanbase, and organization is desperate to win it all. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

13 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Adding Taylor and the contract he desires makes zero sense for this team.  Maybe a team like CHI with a QB still on a rookie deal looking to take that next step.

Every one is entitled to their own opinion . Personally that's why i think these $500 million contracts that QB's get are IMHO a bit out of line because just like the salary cap when these contracts go into effect it severely limits other areas on the team that could also be of help . 

What would the 90's Bills look like with out Thurman ? Yes they didn't win a SB but would the Cowboys have won 2 with out Emmit ? What would the Rams had been like with out Mashal Faulk ? 

Just saying ...

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

counter: a big part of mccaffery is his role in the passing game. As a bell cow 300 carry down hill runner I’m not doing backflips for him. 

No he's not a 300 carry back but he is relevant as far as his role weather it's in the run game or the passing game . And a good player is a good player & can be used in a game plan to make it harder for opponents & can make a difference as far as getting to a championship . 

But that's just me i guess ...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Taylor and Shaq package deal would solve a lot of problems. 

I really like Taylor. His runner up a hill was Harvard. Dude wants to get paid and rbs have to force the issue. He would be an an absolute monster here next to Allen and Cook would be deadly as a change up. 

but there’s 0 percent chance of this happening though.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, T master said:

Every one is entitled to their own opinion . Personally that's why i think these $500 million contracts that QB's get are IMHO a bit out of line because just like the salary cap when these contracts go into effect it severely limits other areas on the team that could also be of help . 

What would the 90's Bills look like with out Thurman ? Yes they didn't win a SB but would the Cowboys have won 2 with out Emmit ? What would the Rams had been like with out Mashal Faulk ? 

Just saying ...

No he's not a 300 carry back but he is relevant as far as his role weather it's in the run game or the passing game . And a good player is a good player & can be used in a game plan to make it harder for opponents & can make a difference as far as getting to a championship . 

But that's just me i guess ...

When your examples are from 30 years ago, you’re kinda proving that these guys aren’t that valuable anymore.

In a league without a salary cap, sure, pay a superstar RB. In reality, there’s a bunch of positions that are just more valuable. I would even say above average pass rushers, QB’s, CB’s and LT’s are more valuable than the cream of the crop RB’s.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

But of course Taylor wants money, which means the team that is trading for him must hand over draft assets and the extension. 

To justify the extension, the offense must give him the ball 250+ times a year. That's 15 carries a game if he plays all 17. 

We've just seen this too many times with running backs where that path ends. 

But I do think there is merit to one aspect of this. And that is this franchise has never won a Super Bowl. So is some respects, just going for it demonstrates the understanding that this city, fanbase, and organization is desperate to win it all. 

I think a SB ring would justify the extension!! Carries be damned!!

3 hours ago, SWATeam said:

Ask yourself how many special RBs had great QBs?

• Like (+1) 1

I will say in the last 2 seasons weve seen a bit of an uptick (albeit from an all time low) in RB's being relevant.  The league is always trying to counter trends.  Were seeing more nickel and dime defenses then ever, the Brandon Spikes LB'er is extinct, and it seems like LB'er cores are getting smaller and faster, to account for heavy passing league.

NE last year and Indy/TN/CLE the year before are two teams that had major emphasis on the run game.  I wont claim to know if that trend continues to grow.  I do remember 2 years ago not wanting to draw one of Indy/TN/Cle in wild card because of exactly this..... just food for thought

The article yesterday based on a pod cast with Donte Whitney espousing how we are in the hunt or have an interest in Tayler is just a guy out of the spotlight, trying to get back into it.

We have no $, and we already have 3 RB’s who can get the job done.  I can see Murray as the compliment to Cook in the beginning while Harris heals up with his leg issue.  Then insert Harris for the bulk of the season allowing Murray to rest as we’ll need him for December and the playoffs.

We already pass 67% of the time, and the league avg us around 60%.  We may want to float down to the low 60’s to ease Allen from feeling we have to pass on every play.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.