Question do starters play next week?

AuntieEm

14 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Give them a drive or two to atone for what happened tonight. I don’t like going into the Jets game with that sort of sloppiness the last time they took the field. 

I'm really on the fence on this.  Yes I hate how bad they looked but if any important starter gets hurt for a ps game that means zilch.  And practicing them until they are beaten and tired  won't exactly give them a leg up on the Jets week 1.  I don't think the Jets can hang with a Josh led offense if he is on.  Does Josh need the game reps to be at his best for the Jets opener. 

18 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Give them a drive or two to atone for what happened tonight. I don’t like going into the Jets game with that sort of sloppiness the last time they took the field. 

Agree with this. I'm even tempted to put Josh out there for a series or two to see if he can build any kind of trust in the (admittedly barely existent) O-Line. There were a couple of times tonight where he took off when he didn't need to.

Then again, if he gets injured, we'd be calling out the utter futility of doing that.

I know the injury concerns, but it’s football. Can happen at any time, even in practice. Playing less minimizes that risk, true, but you get what you get on the field if that’s the approach… and then the injury risk can climb once again through fatigue when they are on the field.

This may sound way too old school, but the only way to get better at something like O timing/chemistry is to work at it on the field, and clearly just practice isn’t cutting it, so…I’d say play ‘em a series or 2 with some urgency to punch it in for a tuddy 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

Agreed!  If they can't hold up again let's make some changes to the STARTERS!

Play them the entire game.

The injury stuff is overblown. They can get injured in practice, in the weight room, etc.

Gabe Davis’ season long ankle injury came during the WALKTHROUGH before the Titans game last year.

We saw a team tonight that needs as many reps against real competitor as they can possibly get.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

Yeah I'm playing the ones at least 2 series next week. Injuries be damned. Super sloppy tonight and nowhere near ready for the Jets.

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Play them the entire game.

The injury stuff is overblown. They can get injured in practice, in the weight room, etc.

Gabe Davis’ season long ankle injury came during the WALKTHROUGH before the Titans game last year.

We saw a team tonight that needs as many reps against real competitor as they can possibly get.

I am so glad that you’re not associated with this team in a way that makes decisions

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yeah I'm playing the ones at least 2 series next week. Injuries be damned. Super sloppy tonight and nowhere near ready for the Jets.

I would play them about the same amount of time that they did this week

6 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

I'm really on the fence on this.  Yes I hate how bad they looked but if any important starter gets hurt for a ps game that means zilch.  And practicing them until they are beaten and tired  won't exactly give them a leg up on the Jets week 1.  I don't think the Jets can hang with a Josh led offense if he is on.  Does Josh need the game reps to be at his best for the Jets opener. 

If they need to play next week to prepare for the season then it means much more than 'zilch". The team sucked last night.  

If they have any pride, they ask their coach for at least one series to prove themselves. And If I'm the coach, I'm listening to them.

Words cannot express how awful both sides of the ball were last evening. Don't forget the Special teams; that sucked too. It was like seeing a car wreck; I can't get the horror of it out of my head.

3 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

The Steelers 3-4 befuddled our big slow line. If a team plays a 3-4 you have to be able to run on them. Cook 3 for 3 ain’t gonna cut it.

Our OL is actually very athletic testing wise.

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Play Dawkins and Brown for at least one series to make a point. The other locked in starters I would not put out there.

I think that point was made last night. They played a lot.

McDermott says they talked about the penalties last week. Talking didn't work. Get the OL out there for some work. They look like the need it.

I would sit most of the key skill position guys. On defense, rest Milano, the Safeties, Tre, Floyd and Groot. Possibly even Dane. Let Elam and Benford start and play a LOT. 

And get Dorian Williams some snaps at MLB. Kid is a gamer. He needs to see the field.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

McDermott says they talked about the penalties last week. Talking didn't work. Get the OL out there for some work. They look like the need it.

I would sit most of the key skill position guys. On defense, rest Milano, the Safeties, Tre, Floyd and Groot. Possibly even Dane. Let Elam and Benford start and play a LOT. 

And get Dorian Williams some snaps at MLB. Kid is a gamer. He needs to see the field.

I’m not sure Elam would be on the field with the 2nd team.

There are recent examples of teams getting walloped week 1 because they were unprepared, only to go on and have a great season.

Packers were crushed I think by the Saints a few years ago and ended up the 1 seed and Aaron Rodgers had an MVP season.

Just last year, the Bengals were unprepared due to Burrow's appendectomy and their offense was pitiful against the Steelers. They even started the season with a 2 game losing streak. Went on to only lose two more games the rest of the season before losing to KC in the AFC Championship game. 

Meaningful starters will play zero snaps next week. Bills may or may not get crushed week 1. Won't mean anything for the outcome of the season. 

1 minute ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Bills may or may not get crushed week 1. Won't mean anything for the outcome of the season. 

We lost home field advantage throughout the playoffs by only a game or two, the last few seasons.

Every game counts.

• Agree 1

NO.  Last night was nothing. Seriously, it was a big fat nothing burger.  They played poorly for a quarter and a half in a preseason game. The effort and game plan they bring to the Jet's game will be exponentially different and superior to what you saw last night.

They got a preseason game wake up call which are the best type to get. They'll work the kinks out of the O line and they'll work on the penalties.  BTW the penalties were the most serious issue coming out of last nights game and IMO they're the easiest to fix.

6 minutes ago, B-Man said:

We lost home field advantage throughout the playoffs by only a game or two, the last few seasons.

Every game counts.

It didn't matter that much for either of the two teams I mentioned. Bengals still went on the road and beat the Bills and the Rodgers led Packers had the one seed. 

The Achilles heel for the Bills since 2020, when Allen officially arrived, has been the Bills dropping two games they shouldn't lose between Halloween and Thanksgiving. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.