Well that was an absolute crap fest - PostGame thread

Einstein

4 hours ago, ALLinALLEN said:

Highs: 

Kincaid, Allen, shorter, mcd’s new glasses

lows:

Oline, penalties (wtf was that), Dawkins, brown, Barkley (dead heat for qb 2 now), q1 defense, cook, Barkley tackling murray, oline again 

the sky is not falling. 

So pumped about McD’s new look…😉

56 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

You call under 2 yards per rush on 30+ carries outside of that one long TD "superior execution"?  You call 144 total pass yards even including that 25 yard TD superior execution?

I call that proof of a 1st quarter fluke.

Starters against starters, 1s vs 1s, I call the Steelers 2 TDs superior execution. You know exactly what I’m referencing. The same plays you called “flukes.”

4 hours ago, arcane said:

Bills fans are embarrassing and don't deserve the team they have. 

I mean that

He’s right though. This is a 6 win team and McD is finished here. He’s constantly talking about fundamentals and this is the team we get.

Lets just get it over with.

Edited by Governor
  • Eyeroll 1

13 minutes ago, Governor said:

He’s right though. This is a 6 win team and McD is finished here. He’s constantly talking about fundamentals and this is the team we get.

Lets just get it over with.

So if they win seven games, I assume that you’ll be out of here so we don’t have to see your ***** anymore, right?

• Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So if they win seven games, I assume that you’ll be out of here so we don’t have to see your ***** anymore, right?

Tre White is absolutely cooked. There’s nothing that bothers me more than fans that fall in love with bad/aging players. The original poster was spot on.

Don't get me started on Dawkins. He’s always sucked. I don’t even know why Poyer is still on the team. 

Kincaid looks promising.

Edited by Governor
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Governor said:

Tre White is absolutely cooked. There’s nothing that bothers me more than fans that fall in love with bad/aging players. The original poster was spot on.

Don't get me started on Dawkins. He’s always sucked. I don’t even know why Poyer is still on the team. 

Kincaid looks promising.

lol. Point to some plays where white has looked ‘cooked’ beyond the first couple games where he came back.

Dawkins has “always sucked”? Show me some metrics on that as well.

• Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Governor said:

Kincaid looks promising.

Tre White wasn't even targeted in this game I believe and by all accounts looks like his old self in training camp.  What are you talking about?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I disagree with the first sentence a touch. The first two passes Allen dropped back he got hot feet and bailed out of a fairly decent pocket. I was disappointed in that 

His first pass was an 8 yard pass in the middle to Kincaid 

5 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Because he left the pocket early. Nothing had a chance to develop and no one broke open when he left. 

I watched the play again I’m sorry if that’s pass protection to you I don’t know what to tell you. 

4 hours ago, Old Coot said:

maybe but you can't see that from the 62 yd TD run. Poyer is pursuing laterally and he hesitates for a moment and that enables the RB to get by him on the outside. If he doesn't hesitate and contunues laterally the RB cuts back and takes it to the house behind Poyer.

He hesitated, the RB made a quick in out move and burned him. 

1 hour ago, Governor said:

Kincaid looks promising.

Most of the team is aging players. They have guys that been here a while they are scared to let go and other guys brought in because their draft picks ain’t making impact. 

Edited by BananaB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I think that is a good example of a game where a few things go wrong in the beginning and it just spirals out of control after that. There are going to be games like that, sometimes. Luckily, this was the preseason.

Also, it takes superstars like Josh Allen to stop the spiral, and he is certainly capable of that. Even when everything is going wrong, he can still string plays together to make it a positive. Pretty incredible, and if this was a real game and he played the entire thing, I think he would have righted the ship and changed the momentum.

Also, it was clear to me that McDermott ran a more vanilla defense. Obviously, there was no game planning or in-game adjustments, etc. It's preseason. The two big issues are the penalties and the bad QB play behind Allen.

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

lol. Point to some plays where white has looked ‘cooked’ beyond the first couple games where he came back.

Dawkins has “always sucked”? Show me some metrics on that as well.

I do think Dawkins is a little overrated, and I think it is because fans enjoy his personality. He has some good games, but he also has bad games. Overall, he is an average player who can be streaky.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Governor said:

Kincaid looks promising.

So… Seven games right?

• Haha (+1) 1

For as good as the Bills typically play, ‘ya never know what yer gonna get’. When they pull that rare STINKER, I’d rather be between a paper mill and a cow pasture! Case in point, the last real game we played. Sometimes we lose on one specific blunder -think Lil Dirty failing to get out of bounds @ Miami or Allen fumbling the snap on our own 1 yd line vs Minny. Those, we can tolerate. But these games where we just fail to even take the field -like the Playoff game vs Cinci, or last evening- are totally alarming.

Down 2 scores early, they simply QUIT. WTF is THAT about??

😳🤔😡

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

For as good as the Bills typically play, ‘ya never know what yer gonna get’. When they pull that rare STINKER, I’d rather be between a paper mill and a cow pasture! Case in point, the last real game we played. Sometimes we lose on one specific blunder -think Lil Dirty failing to get out of bounds @ Miami or Allen fumbling the snap on our own 1 yd line vs Minny. Those, we can tolerate. But these games where we just fail to even take the field -like the Playoff game vs Cinci, or last evening- are totally alarming.

Down 2 scores early, they simply QUIT. WTF is THAT about??

😳🤔😡

It’s unusual for them to be blown out in pre-season. Yes, they lost something like 21-0 to the Panthers last year but I think that was with third stringers and those cut from the roster. Before that, any defeat was a close one. But there’s been at least one blow out in the regular season every year since McDermott arrived, up to last year, where it came in the play offs. Maybe this year it has come in pre-season. Why they seem to have this nightmare at least once a year is anyone’s guess.

8 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Penalties killed us

Even if we blew them out most importantly there were no injuries to starters or key depth guys.

Dawkins and Brown were awful.  Dawkins has been so average for years now

On the bright side, Davis and Kincaid could make doubling Diggs a problem.  

He is so slow, speed rushers have been going around him for years now. No speed and no flexibility.

What was most concerning to me: Josh's last play.

It looked like rookie year Josh, running all over--because the line sucks and the receivers couldn't get open--trying to make a play out of nothing. Then it was cute. Now is disappointing on many levels.

1 - Some disappointment is directed towards him. Josh still has not tamed his default instincts to play backyard football when things go wrong ("throw it away." it's a meaningless preseason game!).

2 - And the rest of the disappointment is directed toward the . . .

• o-line -- still sucking
  • receivers -- why do our guys seem to have such a hard time getting open?
  • Coaching -- after last night, everything is questioned, and
  • management --- for the personnel moves or lack thereof.

Every "worst fear" we have showed up in that one play.

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was at a dinner party at my sisters.  It was great.  Dry rub baked wings and salmon cakes and then steak and shrimp with broccoli for dinner.

I could not record the game because of the Directv / Nexstar snit so no CBS/channel for weeks now, which always…ALWAYS happens at this time of year.

Recording right now on nfl network.  

Do I even want to or should I just simply move on?

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

I don't take to much stock in preseason games, not much at all. but it is clear they still have no Oline in place which leads me to believe it will be a very long season. with this Oline I see no division crown and they'll be lucky to squeak in to the playoffs, if they even make the playoffs. 

I can be just as pessimistic as the next fan, or as some may claim, a realist. the reality is they did nothing really to fix what has been an issue since JA's rookie year, the Oline. it is and will come back to bite them square in the ass and the clock is running out but maybe when they don't win the division and possibly not even make the post season, they wake their assess up and fix the damn Oline!

like I said, preseason games/scores don't mean a hell of a lot to me but one would have to be blind to not see an issue that should of been fixed, long ago.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I was at a dinner party at my sisters.  It was great.  Dry rub baked wings and salmon cakes and then steak and shrimp with broccoli for dinner.

I could not record the game because of the Directv / Nexstar snit so no CBS/channel for weeks now, which always…ALWAYS happens at this time of year.

Move on and just have a look at Kincaid’s best bits on YouTube/Twitter (as was).

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

what a throw and catch it was too!

honestly, the refs were a little over board, imo

same with the illegal block on the screen. I was at the game and saw it from the same angle as the ref who threw the flag, and it looked way too close to call. On replay, it looked clean. Sort of got him in the shoulder. 

you take away a few of those penalties, and at least the bills starting O has a TD and we feel Slightly better about the game. 

• Agree 1

You always see games called tighter in preseason and early season. Always a push from the league to call it right. Then it's more lax as the season goes on.

But the penalties last night were still concerning and have to be cleaned up.

The o tackles are a bigger concern to me than MLB by far. I have confidence we can win shootouts if Allen is healthy and upright. 

Our stars looked like stars for the most part and they stayed healthy 

Brown was awful, Elam was awful, cook has no vision and runs soft, dline had zero push, MLB is a giant concern.  You can’t feel comfortable with this team after that one. Hoping they are just kicking off the rust. Better now than week one. Hope they can get their **** together quick or the jets are gonna smoke us

• Like (+1) 1

Not going to go in on the penalties too much.  Refs are usually more severe in the preseason and ticky tack stuff is more likely to be called.

That said, the thing that stood out to me the most was lack of talent in positions the Bills knew they had to fix.

They needed to bring in real competition for Spencer Brown.  Instead they bet on his issues being all injury and they clearly aren't.   I was fine with them letting Edmunds walk, but they shouldn't be in a situation where a Bernard injury sinks them.   

Other areas like running back and defensive end still look to be issues but at the very least there is depth.  James Cook has shown nothing to say he can be a legitimate starting running back.  Poor awareness, speed to the hole is bad etc.   

Now we have new issues popping up like Dion Dawkins' kick step being faster to a buffet table than it is against speed rush.  Elam can't crack the starting lineup and our safeties look old.

I'll say what I said a lot last season.  The Vonn Miller signing was out of character for Beane, and its handcuffed the Bills from making legitimate moves to up grade positions of need.   Couple that with Beane having a real hard time drafting quality starters and you start to have a talent void in important places.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

With a couple of exceptions, our starters looked slower than the Steeler starters, both on both sides of the offense vs defense matchups.   The end of last season combined with this game leave the feeling that the bills are on the back nine with this roster cycle, and the peak is in the past. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Here's an alternative take. The Bills turtled this meaningless preseason game so they could avoid injuries to key players. The Steelers D is a rough bunch. The Bills' constant penalties...all the mess-ups...the long plays. A perfect excuse to avoid contact with Josh Allen's kryptonite, JJ Watt. Also: maybe Beane and Kromer aren't as good as we think they are. Beane has failed to seriously address the OL again, the Kromer-coached OL looks like an undisciplined mess and Allen will probably be running for his life again this year. Blocking and tackling are the building blocks of football, not the flash and dash. Hopefully the Bills will straighten up and not have to find this out the hard way again.

Edited by Shemp

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

It was not good- I watched last night on a replay and replayed some plays out of sheer shock of what happened and mostly due to bad things. Watch it as a slow motion accident if you accept it is preseason.

• Shocked 1

9 minutes ago, Shemp said:

Here's an alternative take. The Bills turtled this meaningless preseason game so they could avoid injuries to key players. The Steelers D is a rough bunch. The Bills' constant penalties...all the mess-ups...the long plays. A perfect excuse to avoid contact with Josh Allen's kryptonite, JJ Watt. Also: maybe Beane and Kromer aren't as good as we think they are. Beane has failed to seriously address the OL again, the Kromer-coached OL looks like an undisciplined mess and Allen will probably be running for his life again this year. Blocking and tackling are the building blocks of football, not the flash and dash. Hopefully the Bills will straighten up and not have to find this out the hard way again.

McGovern and Torrence is not seriously addressing the offensive line?

Edited by Beast

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.