Andrew Luck will be eligible for the HOF in 2024

Gregg

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

The only short career player I’ve ever approved of being in the hall was Terrell Davis.  He was dominant and won a ring. 

Gayle Sayres.  If i could only have one. 

transcendant.  Barry sanders before we had barry sanders.  Gayle Sayres would be your favorite highlight reel to watch over and over.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Billl said:

How in the world does Philip Rivers have more of a claim?  

It's a fascinating draft class in 2004 (besides Losman).  Rivers, Roethlisberger, and Eli each played at least 16 years and their games played are really close.  Rivers started 240, Roethlisberger 247, and Eli with 234.  Rivers has eight pro bowls, Roethlisberger has six, and Eli has four. 

Rivers and Roethlisberger are better by a healthy margin over Eli in passer rating, passing yards, passing TD's, and completion percentage.  Rivers is just a tiny bit better than Roethlisberger in all of those categories except passing yards but they're really close.  Eli is noticeably behind in all categories.

Then you have the playoff and Super Bowl success category.  Eli won two of two Super Bowls against the dynasty Patriots winning Super Bowl MVP both times. Roethlisberger won two Super Bowls (not an MVP though in either game) and lost one.  The farthest Rivers ever got was an AFC Championship game.  However, the Chargers weren't as stable as a franchise as the Steelers and Giants so how much do you put the lack of postseason success on him.  

I would definitely put Roethlisberger in, probably put Rivers in, and leave Eli out.  I tend to lean more to overall stats though above postseason success because wins aren't a QB stat.

'

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, maddenboy said:

Gayle Sayres.  If i could only have one. 

transcendant.  Barry sanders before we had barry sanders.  Gayle Sayres would be your favorite highlight reel to watch over and over.

Too spell both his first and last names incorrectly, not once but twice in the same post, is quite impressive. 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, DCofNC said:

If he gets in, the HOF is officially a joke.

Luck wasn't bad. Injuries cut his career short. If he played a full career, he could have had a shot at making the HOF. This isn't a Sam Darnold or Zach Wilson type of situation where he was a bust.

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It's a fascinating draft class in 2004 (besides Losman).  Rivers, Roethlisberger, and Eli each played at least 16 years and their games played are really close.  Rivers started 240, Roethlisberger 247, and Eli with 234.  Rivers has eight pro bowls, Roethlisberger has six, and Eli has four. 

Rivers and Roethlisberger are better by a healthy margin over Eli in passer rating, passing yards, passing TD's, and completion percentage.  Rivers is just a tiny bit better than Roethlisberger in all of those categories except passing yards but they're really close.  Eli is noticeably behind in all categories.

Then you have the playoff and Super Bowl success category.  Eli won two of two Super Bowls against the dynasty Patriots winning Super Bowl MVP both times. Roethlisberger won two Super Bowls (not an MVP though in either game) and lost one.  The farthest Rivers ever got was an AFC Championship game.  However, the Chargers weren't as stable as a franchise as the Steelers and Giants so how much do you put the lack of postseason success on him.  

I would definitely put Roethlisberger in, probably put Rivers in, and leave Eli out.  I tend to lean more to overall stats though above postseason success because wins aren't a QB stat.

'

After citing the bolded part, you would have Rivers in and Eli out?  That doesn't make sense.  It's not the Hall of Stats.  If it was, Jim Kelly wouldn't be in there. 

Chargers "not as stable" with Rivers?  They had 4 losing seasons in his 14 years of starting. They went to the playoffs 6 times. they went 5-7.   When you said "unstable" maybe you meant the Giants, who were a lot more rocky over the course of his career compared to the Chargers---yet they won 2 SB vs far better teams....mainly because of the play of Manning. 

Post season is huge for HOF--again, see Jim Kelly, Kurt Warner.

16 hours ago, Virgil said:

The only short career player I’ve ever approved of being in the hall was Terrell Davis.  He was dominant and won a ring.  

Luck would be a lock if he played a few more years and won a ring, but not with his body of work as is. 

Wow, what are the odds of posting the same argument at the exact same time 

Gale Sayers as well. I don’t think Luck should get in. IMO, the only other shortened career that deserves to be in is Sterling Sharpe. Once Favre got to GB Sharpe was going back and forth with Rice for best receiver in the NFL for 3 years then the neck injury happened. 

17 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I like to visit the HOF it's a fun vacation spot.   That said, the selection committee is bogus.   Calvin Johnson was a 1st ballot and Terrell Owens was not, despite having 4,000 more yards and 60 more career touchdowns.   Andrew Luck belongs nowhere near the hall of fame. 

I think Calvin Johnson is a worthy entrant into the HOF, but your point about TO is spot on.  Perhaps the HOF wanted to throw poor, long suffering Lions fans A bone?  Before Calvin was inducted, they had 21 players in the HOF...only one (Barry) had played for the Lions in the last 40 years,  Curly Culp spent the final, forgettable, year of his HOF career as a Lion in 1981.  Pretty slim pickings after that.

Edited by Buftex

17 hours ago, Gregg said:

When Ray Guy got in the HOF, I thought that would open the door for ST players. Tasker should get in IMHO.

Look at the lack of logic here: NFL head coaches LOVE to say "special teams is 1/3 of the game" (which of course is idiotic and wrong) but if they think that's true, and the "game" thinks that's true...then why is it you can't allow a special teamer into the HOF?  I guess the argument is he doesn't play enough or have enough impact on the game.

So which is it?  Are special teams important or not important? 

I'm not suggesting they bring 1 special teamer into the HOF every freaking year....but when you are the best of them all, all time, you should be in the HOF.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

too few years.  He could have fallen off a cliff.  If a good start to your career as a QB is all it takes, then just retire after the first couple of years and make the HOF.  Horrible precedent.   People like Marino, Kelly, Montana, etc. put it a lot of elite years to make it.  

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Look at the lack of logic here: NFL head coaches LOVE to say "special teams is 1/3 of the game" (which of course is idiotic and wrong) but if they think that's true, and the "game" thinks that's true...then why is it you can't allow a special teamer into the HOF?  I guess the argument is he doesn't play enough or have enough impact on the game.

So which is it?  Are special teams important or not important? 

I'm not suggesting they bring 1 special teamer into the HOF every freaking year....but when you are the best of them all, all time, you should be in the HOF.

ST are important enough. Good ST play can flip the field on a punt coverage, punt return as well as a KO coverage/return. Then you have blocked punts, extra points. I thought when Ray Guy got in it would open the door for more ST players. If it does, then Tasker should be one of the guys to get in the HOF.

17 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Terrell davis got in with the same number of years.  But I don't think there is any chance Luck gets in.  Not even if he gets lucky....the way he walked away I think is preceived a certain way even if it is unfair.

Comparing his number to Allen....Luck completed 60.8% of his passes which would be considered bad today. His won/loss record was just above 500.   I dont see mind boggling.....yes high for first few seasons but when you consider the changes in the game its not as impressive.  Allen beats him in TD%, INT%, rushing...they are tied in Y/A.  Both are 4-4 in playoffs but Lucks postseason stats blow, he threw more INT's than TD's.

Comparing him to Allen has no bearing on HOF but he is not HOF worthy at all.  If he put up 15 seasons, maybe.

I agree. Davis helped Denver win/make Super Bowls and put up record breaking numbers, I can't say Luck did this. Luck was a good QB but not great or elite so to me far far from the HOF. 

5 minutes ago, buffblue said:

One thing is for certain, he had a HOF caliber neckbeard

His weird voice was definitely NOT HOF material however.

I don't get caught (other than with Tasker!) in the HOF argument.  For the most part, I don't care, especially with non-Bills.

Having said that, my immediate reaction to the idea of Luck going to the Hall is "NO, just not quite there."

I'll leave it at that.

14 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I agree. Davis helped Denver win/make Super Bowls and put up record breaking numbers, I can't say Luck did this. Luck was a good QB but not great or elite so to me far far from the HOF. 

My opinion on Davis (I know it is unpopular) is that I would not have voted him into the HOF.  Great 7th round talent and all but he had the benefit of one of the great OL's in history and they chop blocked the crap out of defenses which is all illegal nowadays.  I agree he got in due to his whole body of work including two superbowls but on most other teams, I think he is more ordinary.

Just now, Uncle Monkeyhead said:

The two Matt’s on that list……did not expect that. More than Kelly, Staubach and Moon. Wow. 

You know what a better question would be then will Luck get into the HOF is will Eli. He had a good career with the Giants and won two Super Bowls both against the evil empire. One of those was stopping a 19-0 season. I don't see Luck getting in but Eli that could go either way. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gregg said:

Luck wasn't bad. Injuries cut his career short. If he played a full career, he could have had a shot at making the HOF. This isn't a Sam Darnold or Zach Wilson type of situation where he was a bust.

Not saying he was bad, but he was never dominant, even for a season, they won nothing and he quit after 6 years.  There is no place for that in the HOF.

Look, if Maholmes quit tomorrow, I’d still say he deserves a look.  His numbers are insane, he’s got titles etc.  Luck has nothing.

Edited by DCofNC
  • Like (+1) 1

This is likely not even up for debate--no way does Luck make it to the Hall of Fame, retiring before he was 30 years old!  And just before the season began.

He took his $100 million and ran.

His call, of course, but unequivocally not a Hall of Famer!

Edited by Mister Defense

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

'

I agree Eli is not a HOF talent but a two time SB winning QB with several highlight throws in the SuperBowl will get him in. He's probably a virtual lock. Maybe not forts ballot but doubt he waits more than one year. 

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I agree Eli is not a HOF talent but a two time SB winning QB with several highlight throws in the SuperBowl will get him in. He's probably a virtual lock. Maybe not forts ballot but doubt he waits more than one year. 

I think you are right, that said if he didn’t have the name, I’m not sure he has more than a Sam Bradford career.  There were far more reasons to bench him than consider him a HOF QB, but here we are. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.