Josh Allen is the most durable starting NFL QB

Ironic, isn't it?

Allen is #1 in the NFL with 71 consecutive starts.

Justin Herbert has 39, Trevor Lawrence and Pat Mahomes tied for 3rd at 34.

Rodgers 4th with 25.

Take what you will from this. I want Josh to protect himself more, but I think all the fear mongering "he's about to fall off a cliff the way Cam Newton did!" is wildly overblown by the likes of National pundits like Cowherd and folks on this board.

I want Josh to be a little more careful while still letting Josh be Josh.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Ironic, isn't it?

Rodgers 4th with 25.

Take what you will from this. I want Josh to protect himself more, but I think all the fear mongering "he's about to fall off a cliff the way Cam Newton did!" is wildly overblown by the likes of National pundits like Cowherd and folks on this board.

dude is a mack truck. Let him do his thing.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Ironic, isn't it?

Rodgers 4th with 25.

Josh is gonna be Josh, and I know none of us want to see him battered but he's not gonna change. His competitive nature is too strong to even compromise any change. If anyone hopes he changes, it's the LBs and DBs he's already faced, especially the ones he's hurdled

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

To be fair, Cam Newton only missed two starts his first five seasons.  They have a similar playing style so maybe he is a cautionary tale. 

However, the reality is the Bills don't really have a choice.  They have to let Josh be Josh and hope he doesn't suffer the same fate as Newton.  The best they can do is build up the o-line, find WR's that can separate quickly, find effective short yardage running backs, and keep hammering into Josh's head to not put his body on the line unless it's absolutely necessary.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Disagree 1

Kinda misleading cause he played through an injury most QBs woulda missed at least one game with. And didn't he also play through injury a couple seasons back? So yeah the streak is cool but he still get hurt and his play suffers as a result. I love his toughness but not sure if this #1 streak means what it looks like.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Ironic, isn't it?

Rodgers 4th with 25.

Transplant, thank you for inserting common sense to this dialogue.  I agree Josh would benefit from sliding a bit more, but he is durable and has improved over the years.  He was certainly more reckless in 2018 and 19, but I’ve observed improvements.

15 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Kinda misleading cause he played through an injury most QBs woulda missed at least one game with. And didn't he also play through injury a couple seasons back? So yeah the streak is cool but he still get hurt and his play suffers as a result. I love his toughness but not sure if this #1 streak means what it looks like.

We all know every player suffers injury, being the Ironman doesn’t mean you don’t get injured. Playing through injuries and not missing games is a trait displaying physical toughness and of course lots of luck in avoiding catastrophic injury.

There’s been plenty of big men in the NFL, Allen is a monster who also happens to have a burning desire to be on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, julian said:

We all know every player suffers injury, being the Ironman doesn’t mean you don’t get injured. Playing through injuries and not missing games is a trait displaying physical toughness and of course lots of luck in avoiding catastrophic injury.

There’s been plenty of big men in the NFL, Allen is a monster who also happens to have a burning desire to be on the field.

Ok but suffering an injury that caused the second half season offense to look totally different doesn't do the team any favors.

My point was, if he missed one game after the week 9 injury, which would have been reasonable, he wouldn't have this streak and in that case where does his #1 ranking fall on the "most durable list" having just a 9 game streak currently???

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

Josh is gonna be Josh, and I know none of us want to see him battered but he's not gonna change. His competitive nature is too strong to even compromise any change. If anyone hopes he changes, it's the LBs and DBs he's already faced, especially the ones he's hurdled

He will change. Taking hits in your 20's is one thing but taking them in your 30's or even 40's if Josh can play that long is something else.

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

To be fair, Cam Newton only missed two starts his first five seasons.  They have a similar playing style so maybe he is a cautionary tale. 

Newton was also brutalized in the pocket when he wasn’t running. NFL officiating is almost as much to blame for his physical demise as is his style of play. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Ironic, isn't it?

Rodgers 4th with 25.

The 71 consecutive starts is only the regular season, if you add in the playoffs Allen has 79 consecutive starts.  For the life of me a stat like this should contain playoff games.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

Ok but suffering an injury that caused the second half season offense to look totally different doesn't do the team any favors.

My point was, if he missed one game after the week 9 injury, which would have been reasonable, he wouldn't have this streak and in that case where does his #1 ranking fall on the "most durable list" having just a 9 game streak currently???

I get what you’re saying.. but he didn’t miss games and continued to win games and be our best option regardless of limitations due to injury.

It’s a combination of toughness, desire and luck.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, StHustle said:

Rookie year - hit in the pocket... and kind of late if i remember. 

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

Was he 100% after the Jets game? No.  But to claim he hurt the team in any way by toughing it out and playing is to ignore the reality of what he did after the Jets game:

* A 7 - 1 regular season record & division title against a tough schedule with all sorts of mayhem intruding on the Bills season. The only loss was in OT against the Vikings.  And while Allen had a couple of bad TO's in that game he had 414 total yards.

*  A 1 - 1 playoff record.  So Allen's Allen's post injury record was 8 - 2.

*  Look at his stats over that period.  Maybe not top 3 in the NFL but definitely top 10. And don't discard the impact of bad weather on Allen's stats over that period.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Ironic, isn't it?

Rodgers 4th with 25.

Transplant, do you have the article, or link?  I’m asking as I’d like if I have time this afternoon to bring up on MTC on NFLR.

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Ironic, isn't it?

Rodgers 4th with 25.

Cam Newton suffered a shoulder injury on this hit by TJ Watt.  It ruined his season and required surgery which was not 100% successful.  The take-a-way is that he was stationery and in the throwing motion when he took the hit.  So Cam should not be the go to poster boy for running QBs being at greater risk of serious injury as many suggest.

watt-jars-ball-loose-with-big-hit

wr-torrey-smith-cam-newton-tj-watt-josh-allen

Didn't Allen say a few months back that he needs to do a better job in avoiding taking hits. He knows he can't continue playing this style. Hopefully with a better OL and run game from the running backs he won't have to.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

However, the reality is the Bills don't really have a choice.  They have to let Josh be Josh and hope he doesn't suffer the same fate as Newton.  The best they can do is build up the o-line, find WR's that can separate quickly, find effective short yardage running backs, and keep hammering into Josh's head to not put his body on the line unless it's absolutely necessary.

I agree with you here, but I think some more context with the bolded is warranted.  The Bills do have a choice, and it appears they made strides to addressing this during the past offseason.  What is the choice: stopped the designed runs, the short yard plunges, and use a short passing game and/or a short running game to get those yards, along with an improved IOL.  The Bills brought in good short yardage WRs, and 2 RBs who are capable of picking up short yardage gains.  They also have a RB, Cook, who should be explosive in a screen game/Kamara like usage situation.  

Now that Josh can get rid of the ball quicker with YAC WRs like Kincade, TEs like Knox, and have the threat of a running game, he hopefully won't need designed running plays (at least until the playoffs), and won't need to scramble to pick up as many first downs with WRs running a variety of route options.  

All that said, if he needs to scramble to get a 1st, go for it.  

1 hour ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Cam Newton suffered a shoulder injury on this hit by TJ Watt.  It ruined his season and required surgery which was not 100% successful.  The take-a-way is that he was stationery and in the throwing motion when he took the hit.  So Cam should not be the go to poster boy for running QBs being at greater risk of serious injury as many suggest.

watt-jars-ball-loose-with-big-hit

wr-torrey-smith-cam-newton-tj-watt-josh-allen

good points!  But RBs have shorter careers than other positions for a reason.  We don't want Josh as a QB/RB.  

3 hours ago, StHustle said:

Dumbest post I've read in a while.  Congratulations

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Ironic, isn't it?

Rodgers 4th with 25.

Ironic how?

Through his first 5 years, Josh Allen started 76 games.

Through his first 5 years, Cam Newton started 78 games.

This point is bad and you should feel bad.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Was he 100% after the Jets game? No.  But to claim he hurt the team in any way by toughing it out and playing is to ignore the reality of what he did after the Jets game:

By his own admission he couldn’t be accurate on the short throws so he was limited to chucking it deep. Didn’t that hurt the team? Especially in the playoffs against the Bengals?

8 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

Josh is gonna be Josh, and I know none of us want to see him battered but he's not gonna change. His competitive nature is too strong to even compromise any change. If anyone hopes he changes, it's the LBs and DBs he's already faced, especially the ones he's hurdled.

or stiff armed

11 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Ironic, isn't it?

Rodgers 4th with 25.

Some of us have been asking for data, for years, supporting the armchair football expert's view that a QB who runs will be hurt all the time.

Also, some of us have been saying, for years, that Josh needs to RUN with the ball, as it's the most dangerous thing he does.

Josh not running is like Josh playing at 65% capability, due to injury.

Let the boy run.  If he breaks 3 ribs and is out for the season, that's called bad luck.

He could destroy his knee being sacked, standing still in the pocket, too.

Let the boy run while he is young and healthy enough to do it.

The running aspect of his game will disappear with age long before his arm fails.

The window isn't THAT big.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.