Are the Jaguars a lock for the one seed?

Big Blitz

In the worst division in the NFL. 

They play the NFC South - it’s probably 2nd worse.   

Toughest games:

Week 2 vs Chiefs at home

Week 5 at Bills in London 

Week 10 vs 49ers at home 

Week 13 vs Bengals at home

Week 15 vs Ravens at home

Their toughest games are at home and then in London where they’ll already be waiting for us.  

I see 3-4 losses at worst on that schedule.  

Year 2 under Pederson.  Lawrence and the O should only be better.  Their defense is better.  

The other AFC Divisions will beat up on each other and each plays a tougher NFC Division.  

Last year mission 1 seed was clearly the objective.  

I think with how things will unfold this year it’s important the fans (and team) truly go one game at a time and prioritize health and getting hot at playoff time.  

Obviously want to win every game, but in no way should we be fretting over seeding.  

JUST GET IN. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Maybe not the #1 seed, but that division is probably a guarantee.

I can't recall ever seeing a single division with THREE rookie quarterbacks likely to play the majority of the season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I certainly wouldn’t say they are a lock, they barely made the playoffs last year.  They are a team worth watching though.  Lawrence has to make a pretty big leap for them to be considered real contenders, he has the ability, just has to do it. 

Barring injury, the one seed goes through KC and Cinci.  Both teams are very talented and though their divisions look tough(er) on paper, I don’t see anything for either one to be scared of.  Whoever comes out of the East will be battle tested and I don’t see anyone in serious contention for a #1 seed because they all get to beat on each other.   I thought the West would make the #1 tough for KC last year and they proved me wrong, so who knows.  My feeling is the playoffs will look pretty similar to last year. 

• Agree 1

Unless injuries hit, they are a lock to win the division but as far as the #1 seed that remains to be seen. KC always seems to find a way to get it. Teams like the Bills and Bengals are in very tough divisions and will probably have to many losses to get the #1 seed. The North especially is a bloodbath as all 4 teams hate each other making for some great rivalries.

• Like (+1) 2

They are the best team on paper in that division. But it's a long season and a lot happens over the course eof the year. While they may very well be the odds on favorite for the Division championship I think the Texans will be improved under Ryans. I think the Titans will be 7-10/8-9 type team that could steal a win. 

It will be interesting to see how the young Jags team faces being favorites and handle expectations over last year when they had none.

• Thank you (+1) 1

They are the Jaguars. They won 9 games last year. They are a relatively average team, maybe slightly above average, until they prove otherwise.

Some of these teams you just have to see it before you can believe in them. Like the Broncos. Everyone thought they would be awesome, and they stunk it up.

Be careful with expectations based on a hot streak at the end of the season. First problem is that they should never have beaten the Chargers in the playoffs. Their defense gagged up 27 pts in a 1/4 and a half. Then the Chargers inexplicably went into a conservative shell in the second half that handed Jax the game. Secondly, why do we think a 9 win team, with a suspect defense will automatically be better than last season. Tenn is well coached and improved with a healthy Tannehill. Indy will be better because Mattie  Ice was shot last year and Minshew, Richardson and their supporting cast will be better. At first glance, they will be underdogs against KC,SF, Buff, NO(away)Tenn(away), Cinn, Balt, Pitt, Cleveland (away). If they win 5 of those 9 and lose 3 of the 8 games they will be favored or pickem, that’s 7 losses. That seems about right.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

In the worst division in the NFL. 

They play the NFC South - it’s probably 2nd worse.   

Toughest games:

Week 2 vs Chiefs at home

Week 5 at Bills in London 

Week 10 vs 49ers at home 

Week 13 vs Bengals at home

Week 15 vs Ravens at home

Their toughest games are at home and then in London where they’ll already be waiting for us.  

I see 3-4 losses at worst on that schedule.  

Year 2 under Pederson.  Lawrence and the O should only be better.  Their defense is better.  

The other AFC Divisions will beat up on each other and each plays a tougher NFC Division.  

Last year mission 1 seed was clearly the objective.  

I think with how things will unfold this year it’s important the fans (and team) truly go one game at a time and prioritize health and getting hot at playoff time.  

Obviously want to win every game, but in no way should we be fretting over seeding.  

JUST GET IN. 

mmm Noo... Dolphins Game will be a hard team them... And i see  6 hard teams and they will likely lose 5 of them.  12-5 ... And then there is always that one game you should never lose but you do... Lock? Come on man.... 

The only reason no one is laughing or puking on your thread is because of the high respect we have for you... No team is ever a Lock.. Including KC. 

Lot depends on two factors for me:

1. Calvin Ridley - I don't think they have that weapon that teams worry about. Christian Kirk is a nice slot receiver. Engram is a nice tight end. But they need a true "you gotta double him" weapon. If Ridley can come back and be that I am confident their offense takes another step. 

2. Pass rush - who knows what is happening with the other Josh Allen and I am not a big Travon Walker guy. They are going to have to find a way to get to the passer. 

But good team, ascending young QB and easy schedule. They should win their division and of 1 and 2 both work themselves out then the #1 seed is in play.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I feel like they definitely have an up-and-coming team

And I think we would’ve beaten  the socks off them last year in the playoffs

The Bills didn’t appear to be able to beat the socks off themselves, last year…… even if they were barefoot.

8 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

mmm Noo... Dolphins Game will be a hard team them... And i see  6 hard teams and they will likely lose 5 of them.  12-5 ... And then there is always that one game you should never lose but you do... Lock? Come on man.... 

The only reason no one is laughing or puking on your thread is because of the high respect we have for you... No team is ever a Lock.. Including KC. 

There is a question mark it’s just a discussion!

And they don’t play Miami unless you’re talking about the Bills. 

The beast of the East thread had me thinking about the 1 seed.  

Yes the Chiefs Bills and Bengals are the better teams - and barring no serious injury because obviously that changes things - but the Jaguars schedule combined with what should be a much better team then last year especially if Lawrence makes another leap, I just would find it hard to say they aren’t the favorites to get it.  

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m assuming that you mean in the playoffs because we were 13 and three in the regular season?

The Bengals were/are a bad matchup for us

After the first two games we looked great, after that 🤷‍♂️

I remember the Pittsburg game being easy, then every game was a struggle , or seemed that way. 
    I’m happy we won all those games but nothing looked like an easy out before we even hit the halfway point last season.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

After the first two games we looked great, after that 🤷‍♂️

I remember the Pittsburg game being easy, then every game was a struggle , or seemed that way. 
    I’m happy we won all those games but nothing looked like an easy out before we even hit the halfway point last season.

Yer we were top-five in offense and top-five in defense

Still, they had a roadblock whenever they got into the playoffs

41 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

There is a question mark it’s just a discussion!

And they don’t play Miami unless you’re talking about the Bills. 

The beast of the East thread had me thinking about the 1 seed.  

Yes the Chiefs Bills and Bengals are the better teams - and barring no serious injury because obviously that changes things - but the Jaguars schedule combined with what should be a much better team then last year especially if Lawrence makes another leap, I just would find it hard to say they aren’t the favorites to get it.  

yea i was looking at week 3 preseason my bad.  One of those 3 teams are going to get 13 wins Bet on it. That does not make Jacksonville close to a lock. 

Edited by PrimeTime101

1 hour ago, MJS said:

They are the Jaguars. They won 9 games last year. They are a relatively average team, maybe slightly above average, until they prove otherwise.

Some of these teams you just have to see it before you can believe in them. Like the Broncos. Everyone thought they would be awesome, and they stunk it up.

But they won 7 of their last 9 and Lawrence played incredibly well in the second half of the season.  One of his two stinker games was vs. the Jets and they held us to an average of 18.5 points/game.  

If his entire season had matched his second half output he'd have put up 29 passing TDs.  He'd have been much further along w/o Meyer.  

Etienne played exceptionally well also and was 14th in the league in Yards-from-Scrimmage, which was better than anyone we had.  

They had a ton of draft picks.  

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The Bengals were/are a bad matchup for us

McD's history is that the Playoffs in general starting at the Divisional Round is a bad matchup for us.  

Just sayin' ... 

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I view them similar to Buffalo. They have the talent to beat anyone, but they generally play down to lesser talented teams. They’ll totally lose a few games they should win 

They're a completely different team with Lawrence however, kind of like we became an entirely different team with Allen.  Many as do I anticipate Lawrence becoming a top-4 QB.  (Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Lawrence)  

Their Defense ranked 12th in scoring.  Meyer ruined any development that they may have had in Lawrence's rookie season.  

It should be fun watching them play this season.  

Is Tannehill not playing for Titans or what? I know they had a horrible season but they are only one year removed from the AFC #1 Seed and haven’t had that much roster turnover… AJ Brown trade is the only head scratcher or loss of top end talent. Burks and Okonkwu don’t look half bad and if they do end up landing Hopkins, they’re easily a credible shout for that division. 

Edited by BBFL

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.