Are the Jaguars a lock for the one seed?

Big Blitz

Not a lock but it shouldn't surprise anyone to see them in contention late in the year. They're a solid team with an easy path to the 1 seed and that's not really meant to be a knock. But I'm just not quite sure they're ready to consistently feast on an easy schedule. All divisional games are hard even if it's against rookie QB's

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I feel like they definitely have an up-and-coming team

And I think we would’ve beaten  the socks off them last year in the playoffs

We barely survived against the Phins 3rd string QB and then got bent by the Bengals in the playoffs.  Explain why you think we would have “beaten the socks off” the Jags last year in the playoffs? 

Edited by TheWeatherMan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Houston and Indianapolis are among the weakest teams in the league at the moment.  Tennessee is better than that, and might provide some competition for the Jags, but the Jags are arguably division favorites. I I don't see them going to the Super Bowl though.

30 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

We got barely survived against the Phins 3rd string QB and then got bent by the Bengals in the playoffs.  Explain why you think we would have “beaten the socks off” the Jags last year in the playoffs? 

A couple of reasons

A warm weather team coming to play in Buffalo in the snow

The Jaguars do not have the wide receiving core that the Bengals have

The real question is why don’t you have faith in your team Fairweather fan

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I’d say so, yes.  They a good team trending in the right direction.

EDIT: @Big Blitz your first sentence was “in the worst division in football”.  

Am I to take your question as  “Are the Jags a lock for the 1 seed in the AFC South”, or “Are the Jags a lock for the 1 seed in the AFC”???  

If you meant the latter, then hell no, although it wouldn’t exactly shock me to see them come away as the top dog in the AFC this season.

Edited by RiotAct

7 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

I’d say so, yes.  They a good team trending in the right direction.

EDIT: @Big Blitz your first sentence was “in the worst division in football”.  

Am I to take your question as  “Are the Jags a lock for the 1 seed in the AFC South”, or “Are the Jags a lock for the 1 seed in the AFC”???  

If you meant the latter, then hell no, although it wouldn’t exactly shock me to see them come away as the top dog in the AFC this season.

I meant to say “They’re” just didn’t edit it. 

Yes I meant 1 seed in the AFC - and with that my point is while the bye would be great, I just don’t think I care and we shouldn’t sweat it.  Sure let the team, but as a fan I’m not.  Last year I thought we had to have it.  That didn’t work out for us.  

The better teams win.  

Both 1 seeds got there this year I don’t see a repeat of that.  Finishing as the 3 seed could still get you 2 home games in the AFC. 

And send me to Jacksonville in January to play that works just fine.   

46 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

A couple of reasons

A warm weather team coming to play in Buffalo in the snow

The Jaguars do not have the wide receiving core that the Bengals have

The real question is why don’t you have faith in your team Fairweather fan

Fair weather fan?  I stated nothing but facts.  A warmer weather team came to Buffalo with a 3rd string UFA Rookie QB and nearly pulled off the upset.  You want me to believe we would trounce the Jags?  We might have beat  them in a close match but there’s zero reason to believe we would crush them.  

• Agree 1

No way they get the number 1 seed. Of course, we'll have to see, but I feel they are too new to this and will have the normal bumps and bruises of a young team. Look at 2019 as an example. Houston was 10-6 and beat Buffalo in the Wild Card. Then they had a 24-0 lead at KC. We all know what happened after, and the next season. They were supposed to be an up-and-coming team, until they weren't.

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Nobody is a lock for anything this time of year. Let's see come December and then we can talk more.

But if we wait until then how can we say for sure that the Bills are doomed *now*!? 🤔🤦‍♂️

:beer: 

9 hours ago, MJS said:

They are the Jaguars. They won 9 games last year. They are a relatively average team, maybe slightly above average, until they prove otherwise.

Some of these teams you just have to see it before you can believe in them. Like the Broncos. Everyone thought they would be awesome, and they stunk it up.

They did get hot in the playoffs...A dream come back from nowhere win against the chargers, followed by a close one at Arrowhead. 

If and when the Jags ascend, it’s not because of their schedule. It’s because of the coach fit and a young, deep, talented roster. Also because of a QB who might very well become the next guy behind only Mahomes and Burrow as soon as this season.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

There is a question mark it’s just a discussion!

And they don’t play Miami unless you’re talking about the Bills. 

The beast of the East thread had me thinking about the 1 seed.  

Yes the Chiefs Bills and Bengals are the better teams - and barring no serious injury because obviously that changes things - but the Jaguars schedule combined with what should be a much better team then last year especially if Lawrence makes another leap, I just would find it hard to say they aren’t the favorites to get it.  

When you ask a yes/no question, you have to accept when everyone says no.

And it should tell you the question had a very very obvious answer.

I'm wirh everyone. They have a good circumstance and a chance to be better, maybe eve a lot better. But a lock? This early in the off-season? No, absolutely no way.

12 hours ago, Airseven said:

If and when the Jags ascend, it’s not because of their schedule. It’s because of the coach fit and a young, deep, talented roster. Also because of a QB who might very well become the next guy behind only Mahomes and Burrow as soon as this season.

Josh Allen not in the same sentence ??

3 hours ago, ganesh said:

Josh Allen not in the same sentence ??

No. He hasn’t accomplished anything at least compared to Mahomes (obviously) and Burrow. He’s still too much of an erratic imploder. If he’s able to overcome Beane’s OL this season, then perhaps he creeps back into the top tier conversation. We shall see.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Airseven said:

No. He hasn’t accomplished anything at least compared to Mahomes (obviously) and Burrow. He’s still too much of an erratic imploder. If he’s able to overcome Beane’s OL this season, then perhaps he creeps back into the top tier conversation. We shall see.

…..according to you. Just one more opinion posed as something more than that. 

16 minutes ago, Airseven said:

So what has Burrow accomplished over Allen? Besides having a defense that didn't let him down to get him into the SB?

People are amazing at how they let the media form their opinion on players.

6 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

So what has Burrow accomplished over Allen? Besides having a defense that didn't let him down to get him into the SB?

People are amazing at how they let the media form their opinion on players.

Burrow has made a Super Bowl, that’s all I meant. Sure there’s context, but that simple fact carries weight in these kinds of debates. (Allen was a disaster in the playoffs last year.) Your point about media is lazy.

16 hours ago, ganesh said:

They did get hot in the playoffs...A dream come back from nowhere win against the chargers, followed by a close one at Arrowhead. 

Lawrence was one of the best QBs in the league during the second half of the season. His improvement is the factor here above all else. The question is whether his trajectory continues.

10 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

So what has Burrow accomplished over Allen?

No one ever talks about this for some reason but the Bengals would have won the Super Bowl last year and the AFCCG this year if Burrow had played just a little better in each of those games. I like Burrow, he's a great QB and he has single handedly changed the narrative in Cincinnati. I just don't understand why a lot of analysts pretend he has had nothing to do with his team falling short the past couple years.

23 hours ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

I thought it was going to be third of Mahomes’ 14 Super Bowls?

It’s going to be the first ever three-team Super Bowl. They’re not even inviting the NFC. Well, except the Lions, they might invite the Lions. Oh, they might invite the Giants too because Daboll the best head coach ever. What about Jalen Hurts? I’m glad you asked. The Eagles are going, too. It’s going to be the first ever 29-team Super Bowl. A battle royal. Everyone is invited except the Bills… and the Pats (finally)… and the Raiders. The Raiders can’t go. I’m a little drunk. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.