RD 3, Pick 91: LB Dorian Williams, Tulane

SDS

25 minutes ago, wppete said:

BTW the Bills website has him listed at 6’2 230.

Yep, as I mentioned in another thread, he is about the same size as Devin White, Roquan Smith and Fred Warner. Now you add his speed and 6'8 wing span. We got ourselves a very versatile LB. It's a good pick

• Like (+1) 7
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

You may be right.  Most 3rd rounders don't amount to much, anyway.  But one line you wrote, to me, is meaningless: "Every scouting report..."

What you mean is: "Every amateur scouting report..."  I forget which one, but one draft guru a couple of years ago mentioned that he watches 3 or more game tapes of each of the top 100 prospects and then 1-2 games of all the rest.   I imagine that's a lot of work for one guy so I'm not knocking it.  But draft 'gurus' like him may have only watched one of Williams' games.  How accurate will their assessments be?

But now imagine an entire NFL scouting department with a team of year-round professionals studying film, talking to coaches, interviewing players and their teammates, and in some cases, even hiring private detectives.  Who's going to make the better assessment?  

When the media talks about a player falling in the draft, what they really mean typically is that the amateurs in the media overrated someone and the professionals didn't think he was worth a high pick.  The amateurs and pros often disagree.  Personally, the fact that Wiliams was rated a 4th-6th round pick by some amateur talent evaluators in the media means nothing to me.  

FWIW, some mocks had Williams in the 3rd round:

image.thumb.png.7b4130206d67f1b5efc586ebcebd25bf.png

This.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Yep, as I mentioned in another thread, he is about the same size as Devin White, Roquan Smith and Fred Warner. Now you add his speed and 6'8 wing span. We got ourselves a very versatile LB. It's a good pick

Yup. And a high motor tackling machine. Excellent pick by Beane. 

• Like (+1) 1

We don’t have to do this to ourselves.

The mental gymnastics to convince ourselves this player makes sense.

We know it’s not going to work. He’s too small. 

Let’s grow up and admit that the Bills have a blind spot for this kind of player. The try hard, undersized, small school linebacker who plays a lot of Special Teams. Bills consistently take that guy 2-rounds too early.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 2

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Let’s grow up and admit that the Bills have a blind spot for this kind of player. The try hard, undersized, small school linebacker who plays a lot of Special Teams. Bills consistently take that guy 2-rounds too early.

He is an off the ball linebacker that brings the wood when he tackles and has traits to make you think he could become good in coverage.  What mental gymnastics were required here?  Cover 1 didnt like him or Joe Marino? 

• Like (+1) 1

The more game film I watch, the more I like the pick. He’s very fast, hits hard, tackles well, & shows good instincts. Yes, he’s only 228 lbs, but he’s still 21. I don’t think we should underestimate his potential. I could see him develop into a really good LB for us.  I see way more potential than I saw with Bernard.  I think we’re going to have a hard time keeping him off the field. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

He is an off the ball linebacker that brings the wood when he tackles and has traits to make you think he could become good in coverage.  What mental gymnastics were required here?  Cover 1 didnt like him or Joe Marino? 

Again, the part where the Bills take a 228 pound linebacker and put him as a Special Teamer and backup on the outside at pick #91. 

Can’t play middle, and shocker, a guy who struggles against blocks at Tulane, let alone the NFL. 

The obsession with Special Teams continues. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Played weak side in college and to me looks like we used a 3rd round pick on Milano's back up.

Watching his highlights and hearing draft guys break him down, I like him as a player…. If we didn’t have an All-Pro at his position, along with last years RD3 pick, also, at his position.  

But maybe McDermott is truly changing up the defense more than we think. 

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Again, the part where the Bills take a 228 pound linebacker and put him as a Special Teamer and backup on the outside at pick #91. 

Can’t play middle, and shocker, a guy who struggles against blocks at Tulane, let alone the NFL. 

The obsession with Special Teams continues. 

What linebaker coming out didnt struggle getting off blocks?  He is smaller than Simpson, Sanders, and Campbell but none of them were good in this area.  I think they get to a point were the 2 linebakers are interchangeable.  If Bernard doesn't become the Mike, Williams will be the next guy given a shot.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

What linebaker coming out didnt struggle getting off blocks?  He is smaller than Simpson, Sanders, and Campbell but none of them were good in this area.  I think they get to a point were the 2 linebakers are interchangeable.  If Bernard doesn't become the Mike, Williams will be the next guy given a shot.  

The knock on Simpson and Henley were that they aren’t instinctual and struggle reading the play. 

We just dealt with that in Edmunds. 

Williams strength, fwiw, seems to be in his read and react processing.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Played weak side in college and to me looks like we used a 3rd round pick on Milano's back up.

Ok.  At the end of the day they will put the best 2 on the field. They want it to be Milano and Bernard right now.  If Bernard doesnt step up I think Williams would be given a chance.  I dont expect any GM or proclaim there 3 rd pick is starting day 1.  If they do that roster is subpar. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Joe marino lost it w me over his love for Zay flowers. Dude is a rd 2-3 player. This wr class sucks. That doesn’t mean he’s a round 1 player. Then the more you listen to him. He scouted acc / bc specifically - so he was biased IMO. 

don’t really care what he says. He fills 30 mins of airspace daily. And does a good job of it 

31 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Let’s grow up and admit that the Bills have a blind spot for this kind of player. The try hard, undersized, small school linebacker who plays a lot of Special Teams. Bills consistently take that guy 2-rounds

Milano when he was drafted was in the 220’s and last I remembered he made AP first team All Pro and has been a standout performer for the Bills.

Your statement is categorically false.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, balln said:

Joe marino lost it w me over his love for Zay flowers. Dude is a rd 2-3 player. This wr class sucks. That doesn’t mean he’s a round 1 player. Then the more you listen to him. He scouted acc / bc specifically - so he was biased IMO. 

don’t really care what he says. He fills 30 mins of airspace daily. And does a good job of it 

Its all eye of the beholder.  My point is right now internet Bills mafia is very group think centric.  Cover 1 and Joe Marino provide alot of good Bills content.  They are also leading the neg reaction to Williams.  He isnt on there big boards. Ok other draft pundits love the pick and the player.   

• Like (+1) 1

My Steelers buddy reached out and told me the Steelers were high on this kid. Had him in for one of their 30 visitors and went to his pro day. Said he felt the Steelers were going to take him but the Bills did and they then took Washington.

I know, fan speculation but this guy is a football nut so who knows?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, balln said:

Joe Marino does a good job for what he is.   I generally like his content, but yea… he was over the top with Zay Flowers and Jack Campbell in his draft prep.  

Both went before we picked, so I can’t knock him, but it was all the time with those guys. 

Not sure anyone could have foreseen the Bills draft though .. we took two guys who most didn’t think would be there at our pick and generally go against conventional Bills thought … Playmaking TE early after paying Knox and a Guard-Only for Kromer and his position flex heavy philosophy. 

Thank goodness, because those picks - on paper - are both game changers. 

Then we go undersized athletic LB for the second year in a row, when we have no true MLB and an All-Pro undersized LB in Milano.  My gut says McDermott has to have a different view for the defense than Frazier.   How many of the same type of LB can one team have if they only play two?

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Its all eye of the beholder.  My point is right now internet Bills mafia is very group think centric.  Cover 1 and Joe Marino provide alot of good Bills content.  They are also leading the neg reaction to Williams.  He isnt on there big boards. Ok other draft pundits love the pick and the player.   

That’s not the case.

Marino didn’t have a reaction video up the moment Williams was picked.

As soon as he was announced, I hated it and so did several Bills fans. The gut reaction was ugggghhhh. 

Even if you like the player, does anyone think he was BPA or the Bills got good value there? At #91? 

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Joe Marino does a good job for what he is.   I generally like his content, but yea… he was over the top with Zay Flowers and Jack Campbell in his draft prep.  

Both went before we picked, so I can’t knock him, but it was all the time with those guys. 

Not sure anyone could have foreseen the Bills draft though .. we took two guys who most didn’t think would be there at our pick and generally go against conventional Bills thought … Playmaking TE early after paying Knox and a Guard-Only for Kromer and his position flex heavy philosophy. 

Turns out he was right on both those players.

Say the Lions don’t take Campbell at 18th, does anyone think he drops 41 more spots to the Bills at #59?

So the evaluation was correct that he was worthy of a first round pick, even a high 2nd makes sense.

Flowers was taken off the board by a team that gets lauded for their understanding of the draft. 

I find Marino very conventional in his team building commentary. A guy leaves, and he immediately wants to replace that guy with someone who looks and feels just the same. 

He comes across to me as always wanting the safe, conventional pick. 

• Agree 1

So I’ll say this - despite what Beane said last night he looks like a Mike to me.  He squares up and attacks downhill and doesn’t waste a lot of movement, and when he hits you the play is over, none of that “alligator death roll” tackling that Edmunds specializes in despite having like 20 lbs on this guy.  When you watch Williams he looks like a middle.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, gobills404 said:

He really showed that 180 lb WR who’s boss

Lol good point,  it's more his speed to attack,  I was a big Edmunds fan but he usually looked a half second slow, like a Slight hesitation, didn't trust his instincts.  This kid looks the opposite 

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Turns out he was right on both those players.

Say the Lions don’t take Campbell at 18th, does anyone think he drops 41 more spots to the Bills at #59?

So the evaluation was correct that he was worthy of a first round pick, even a high 2nd makes sense.

Flowers was taken off the board by a team that gets lauded for their understanding of the draft. 

I find Marino very conventional in his team building commentary. A guy leaves, and he immediately wants to replace that guy with someone who looks and feels just the same. 

He comes across to me as always wanting the safe, conventional pick. 

Not sure i can give props to Baltimore for their ability to draft WR’s.   

It’s either one of two things:

-They can’t draft WR’s

-Lamar can’t elevate WR’s

Maybe both.  We shall see. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

We got way too close to Simpson to settle for this. Given the run on linebackers that happened here, I'd love to know if this was Beane's guy, or if he misplayed this due to lack of capital. Given what we paid to the FA guard, it seems weird to prioritize that position higher than a starting MLB.

For me at least it's not so much the player, it's the plan. Or maybe the lack of knowledge (on my part) on exactly what the plan is...

Since the 3rd round last year the Bills have had 9 picks...3 of those picks have been for undersized LB's with VERY similar athletic profiles.

Bernard - 6007 - 224 - 4.59 40 - 8.88 RAS

Spector - 6011 - 233 - 4.60 40 - 9.13 RAS

Williams - 6010 - 228 - 4.49 40 - 8.81 RAS

That's 1/3 of our Draft haul since last year (so far), on REAL similar players, and not one of them is a natural replacement for Edmunds. Now, McD certainly seems to have a different plan in mind on how these LB's are going to be used...but 3 in 9 picks just seems like questionable roster building to me. I know this much. the Bills do not have a single WR with Tyler Scott's profile in house...So...I don't know...B-)

8 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Didn’t like what I saw and read about Sanders and missed tackles.  That he’s a better blitzer then read and react. 

At the moment, I’m not worried about MLB - If the FO isn’t I’m not going to be.  

D line?  Yes I’m definitely hoping we add big time here.   That would improve our LB play.  

And fwiw the Eagles haven’t really replaced Edwards.  The traditional MLB doesn’t seem like a top priority position as more and more teams go pass heavy and want you to cover these RBs and pass catching TEs.   

Yeah I was just referring to the rationale if they were going to draft for need.   I go premium positions early.   Sanders, due to pass rush potential, is the most likely prospect to give you premium position type(pass rush) production.   Tackling can be improved.   Turning a 6' tall 220 something LB into a guy who can be moved around to impact the pass rush is much less likely.    

Edited by BADOLBILZ

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.