RD 3, Pick 91: LB Dorian Williams, Tulane

SDS

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

This was not a BPA pick, this was a need pick. But honestly I think I'm okay with it. It's a weak draft and we have to ensure Terrel Bernard isn't our starting MLB.

Terrel Bernard 6'1" 224 30" arms

Dorian Williams 6'1" 228 33 3/4" arms

I'm not not worried about the weight as I've read elsewhere - Matt Milano was 224 or something, taking a look at the guy I think he's put on a good bit of muscle with an NFL-quality training program

But I'm also unclear on how you see Dorian Williams as preventing Terrel Bernard from becoming our MLB

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Hoping Luke Kuechly comes out of retirement to play for his old d-coordinator.  Yikes with this pick.

I think you... along with many of us struggle. But there are going to be many scheme changes this offseason, and instead of playing one ILB its going to be a merry go round of players. ILB will now be run with situational awareness and sometimes that can be just as good and effective as one good player.

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Klein

Bernard

Dodson

Spector

Williams

Matachevich

Blah

What a collection of misfits this is. They get away with it by saying blah blah blah special teams. You need a bunch of bad LB's for special teams when they just kick it in the end zone or fair catch it half the time anyways?

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

I’m a realist. I just know he’s going to be useless. I guess I don’t get suckered into liking everything the team does. I really liked the first 2 picks then they really ruined a good couple picks with this.  So many other players that could have been taken that might actually amount to something more than a backup to the backup at LB and a punt and kick cover guy. 

I just don't sweat things that are out of my control, he's on the team, he's a Bill now and I hope the kid turns out to be a stud. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I think you... along with many of us struggle. But there are going to be many scheme changes this offseason, and instead of playing one ILB its going to be a merry go round of players. ILB will now be run with situational awareness and sometimes that can be just as good and effective as one good player.

yes, it remains to be seen. The value for this pick just feels so poor….after being very good in the previous 2 rounds

I think I'd like to see the kid play in a Bills uni before bashing him and saying he's awful, but that's just me.

The team should fire its scouting department and just hire message board scouts who know so much more than the guys that get paid to do this for a living.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I know nothing about this guy so I can’t provide input personally  but I don’t think I’ve ever  seen a bigger disjoint between what fans are saying and what the nfl analysts are saying about a draft pick lol 

Cause most of the people on this board don’t know anything about prospects besides the mock drafts they’ve seen 

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

ne beat us with nothing but running attack. hall seems to be a stud that we didnt face due to injury and miami rb had his best game against us last year.

speed is great but i hope the guy can stack and shed as well or josh and the new new tight end we just got arent going to see the field much. opponents are going to grind out the clock and see if josh can play a mistake free game. 

When did NE beat us?  

The wind game?

9 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

We all saw it - it just looked really hard later in the season and personnel definitely played a part in it. I'm looking at a higher level - how much leash is there on this team, with this qb and where we are trying to go?

It was always a concern having a rookie OC.  No first time play caller had lead an offense to a SB win since Mike Holmgren took over as Niners OC when Bill Walsh retired after 1988 season.   And that team was the defending champion.  When you gotta' go back 40 years or so for a comparable situation as Dorsey had taking over a SB favorite who had no SB experience as a team.......... that's an eternity in the NFL.    Having at least some experience in the postseason is clearly huge.   This year is huge for Dorsey but AT LEAST they've made some effort to improve the personnel.   Maybe not enough or the right players.......but McGovern, Harty, Harris and even Sherfield were upgrades over last years efforts in UFA.   And Kincaid and Torrence is more than just drafting a backup RB.  

Ultimately though........it's not a stacked group of playmakers OR a stacked OL............so it's going to be mostly about whether Allen returns to top form.   Gotta' get back to more like 2020 where Allen is not having to run for lack of playmakers and jailbreak blocking.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Success said:

When did NE beat us?  

The wind game?

We aren’t gonna lose games because we can’t stop the run. Our 2 best run DT’s didn’t play vs Cinn.  The NE was unique no? TE wasn’t particularly great at run D. Just my thoughts. Seems Bills will try and score 35 a game. With Hyde our DT’s and ultimately Von back that’s 4 key players. Add TW 💯 I’ll take our chances trying to build more around Josh 

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Terrel Bernard 6'1" 224 30" arms

Dorian Williams 6'1" 228 33 3/4" arms

I'm not not worried about the weight as I've read elsewhere - Matt Milano was 224 or something, taking a look at the guy I think he's put on a good bit of muscle with an NFL-quality training program

But I'm also unclear on how you see Dorian Williams as preventing Terrel Bernard from becoming our MLB

His wingspan for 1

But let the 2 young boys battle it out!

Edited by JerseyBills

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

This was not a BPA pick, this was a need pick. But honestly I think I'm okay with it. It's a weak draft and we have to ensure Terrel Bernard isn't our starting MLB.

Except it doesn't fill a need....at all....

We already have five Williams on the roster. He is 228 pounds. He's not a MLB. Beane has already confirmed this. 

It was a throwaway. 

Solid first two picks but McBeane can't help themselves.

Bills: Dorian Williams, LB, Tulane

Grade: A

Shorter, but incredibly long and decently rangy. But quicker than fast in general. Plus ball skills and awareness in coverage. Tireless worker to beat blocks and does it frequently. Sure tackler. Fills a need and keeps Buffalo athletic at LB.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2023-nfl-draft-third-round-grades-lions-get-b-for-hendon-hooker-steelers-earn-a-for-darnell-washington/

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

yes, it remains to be seen. The value for this pick just feels so poor….after being very good in the previous 2 rounds

No fourth rounder made it poor. That being said he fills a rotational need at ILB.. There was no real ILB there for us to get that would start for us day 1 after the second round unless we moved up.  We will be ok. 

11 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

My final thought - McDermott was definitely behind this pick in a way, especially now that he's calling plays 

His tape looks great. I'm sure McD has plans for him on D , even if it is in a package and not full time 

He is the opposite if Edmunds , instincts and playing speed wise and I trust McD, he has has a perennial top 5 D

McD definitely forced this pick. The plans for him will be backup to backup and will play STs. It’s the McD way. We could only hope that players like Taiwan Jones and Matakevich never made anymore more than these rookie contract guys. But the fact is, McD likes to keep all of them. Becaise that’s his mentality. He’s a small man himself. Was an underdog. He loves the small underdog guys. His biggest weakness. 

11 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This feels a little bit like a forced pick. Maybe they were hoping to grab on of those other linebackers and then there was that mini run and they locked into taking a linebacker. There is zero chance he was BPA, whereas the other two picks felt like BPA. I don’t hate the pick…I hate the idea that they have already decided he’s really not going to be in the mix to play next to Milano. What’s the point?

I’m actually hoping the come away with Noah Sewell later who can actually slot in at Mike. 

If Sewell actually dropped to the 5th when we pick again I’d say do it. Would make up for this useless pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’d rather not hear Beane say “special teams” when speaking about the contributions of his 3rd round selection. It’s fine to say Dorian probably won’t start right away, but leave “special teams” outta your mouth! Even if it’s the initial plan for your 3rd round draft pick. There’s nothing more deflating.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

I just don't sweat things that are out of my control, he's on the team, he's a Bill now and I hope the kid turns out to be a stud. 

I’m not sweating it either. Is what it is. But, I don’t have to be happy about it. 

we’re discussing this in a message board after all. If I wanted to talk to people that agreed with everything I said all the time I’d be bored as hell. 

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

Oh good. A special teamer with a premium asset third round pick. Why do they waste second and third round picks with these guys? Who cares what Smiley wants? Use rounds 5-7 and UDFAs to get Smiley what he needs. Add him to the pile of mediocre LBs after Milano. We didn’t need another Will. We need a Mike. Back to back head scratching third round picks. 

Edited by Blank Stare

9 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This feels a little bit like a forced pick. Maybe they were hoping to grab on of those other linebackers and then there was that mini run and they locked into taking a linebacker. There is zero chance he was BPA, whereas the other two picks felt like BPA. I don’t hate the pick…I hate the idea that they have already decided he’s really not going to be in the mix to play next to Milano. What’s the point?

I’m actually hoping the come away with Noah Sewell later who can actually slot in at Mike. 

You know, in an odd way, maybe he was the bpa.  It just seems to me that McDermott thinks the way to play is to be quick, fast, athletic, and versatile.  And I think Beane agrees.  The Kincaid pick was the same, in a sense.  Not a typical, more physical tight end, but a guy who features speed and skill in a complicated position.  And Bernard last year.   That's three versatile, quick (and small), talented guys.   

Well, we're going to find out, because someone will actually have to play in the middle.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

What a collection of misfits this is. They get away with it by saying blah blah blah special teams. You need a bunch of bad LB's for special teams when they just kick it in the end zone or fair catch it half the time anyways?

It’s an absolutely awful pick.

Say it out loud, a 6’1” 228 pound linebacker from Tulane.

When does that kind of linebacker get onto the field as an effective linebacker?

Every Scouting Report has him as a 4th-6th.

Everyone loves Joe Marino out here, he had him as a 6th. 

ESPN has him at a 61, backup and Special Teamer.

Bernard was a huge reach last year, and Williams is no different.

Dewand Jones, I want to hear the story on why a 6’8” 376 pound OT that Greg Cosell likes on film, was not the pick there, and was not chosen the rest of the 3rd. 

He would have been a second bonafide presence on the Offensive Line. 

Only saving grace I see is the Bengals have done nothing on offense. 

• Eyeroll 2

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

You know, in an odd way, maybe he was the bpa.  It just seems to me that McDermott thinks the way to play is to be quick, fast, athletic, and versatile.  And I think Beane agrees.  The Kincaid pick was the same, in a sense.  Not a typical, more physical tight end, but a guy who features speed and skill in a complicated position.  And Bernard last year.   That's three versatile, quick (and small), talented guys.   

Well, we're going to find out, because someone will actually have to play in the middle.  

thanks as always for putting this in perspective Shaw. Some teams Rotate ILB and their OLB calls the plays... Could you see that happening this year?

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

great! Then sign an UDFA LB and coach him up instead. Invest the top picks into players that either have a chance to compete for a starting spot or are good depth.  This is neither until proven otherwise

Always good to have depth. If Milano goes down which often happens you need another man. Depth is key.

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

When does that kind of linebacker get onto the field as an effective linebacker?

Dewand Jones, I want to hear the story on why a 6’8” 376 pound OT that Greg Cosell likes on film, was not the pick there, and was not chosen the rest of the 3rd. 

the standard answer will be that Dawand is a lazy overweight bum. I’d rather take a swing on a guy who literally has the tools to be a HOFer if he’s coached, focused and motivated…..instead we take ANOTHER tweener! How many of these LBs and DBs do we need

1 minute ago, Dr.Sack said:

Always good to have depth. If Milano goes down which often happens you need another man. Depth is key.

we already have 4 of the same player

• Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I’d rather not hear Beane say “special teams” when speaking about the contributions of his 3rd round selection. It’s fine to say Dorian probably won’t start right away, but leave “special teams” outta your mouth! Even if it’s the initial plan for your 3rd round draft pick. There’s nothing more deflating.

It’s a ridiculous pick, just like Bernard last year.

You’re going to be trucked trying to stick 228 pounders in the middle of your defense.

Complete whiff, complete reach, when there were better players on the board.

Trades were happening all around them there and they didn’t think to get out of that pick? 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, mrags said:

I’m not sweating it either. Is what it is. But, I don’t have to be happy about it. 

we’re discussing this in a message board after all. If I wanted to talk to people that agreed with everything I said all the time I’d be bored as hell. 

true, I was just giving my point of view lol

10 minutes ago, mrags said:

McD definitely forced this pick. The plans for him will be backup to backup and will play STs. It’s the McD way. We could only hope that players like Taiwan Jones and Matakevich never made anymore more than these rookie contract guys. But the fact is, McD likes to keep all of them. Becaise that’s his mentality. He’s a small man himself. Was an underdog. He loves the small underdog guys. His biggest weakness. 

If Sewell actually dropped to the 5th when we pick again I’d say do it. Would make up for this useless pick. 

Idk. The more film I see,  the more I love this pick 

He'll have to bulk up a bit but he's relentless with great instincts.  Something you'd love to have at the 2nd level - see Matt Milano 

Watch that tape,  he's going to have a big role/impact on this D 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JerseyBills said:

He'll have to bulk up a bit but he's relentless with great instincts.  Something you'd love to have at the 2nd level - see Matt Milano 

good luck! 

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Fair points on Williams. Jones has a bunch of red flags. Seems on paper he’s a better choice. But he’s slipping for a reason. Williams not competing at MLB does make you question in 3rd. This tells me they think SB will bounce back along w the Miami OT. And they think Bernard and Klein can handle MLB. Also McDermott may vary looks and personnel. 

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Milano was drafted 5th round, 6th round projection 6' 223 ran a 4.67

Williams Drafted in the 3rd round.. Mid fourth round projection 6'1 228 rand a 4.49

I wanted Jones more than life itself.. but sometimes you have to draft for need. it is what it is. 

Edmunds was slow as hell getting to a flat or exploding to a flat. we got faster. New defensive scheme.. I GET IT... it is what it is.. and I am not going to get to down on this till i see what this turns into. I am not going to be the guy eating crow 6 months from now... 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

the standard answer will be that Dawand is a lazy overweight bum. I’d rather take a swing on a guy who literally has the tools to be a HOFer if he’s coached, focused and motivated…..instead we take ANOTHER tweener! How many of these LBs and DBs do we need

we already have 4 of the same player

100%.

Orlando Brown scored a 0.5 RAS and the Bengals just paid him $20M per season.

How was Jones not worth a shot there to get Spencer Brown out of the starting lineup. He’s been awful for 2-years. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

I don’t think he ever starts or see significant time with this pick. Ever. He will play STs and that’s it. That’s my take and I’m sticking to it. Wasted pick. 

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

It’s a ridiculous pick, just like Bernard last year.

You’re going to be trucked trying to stick 228 pounders in the middle of your defense.

Complete whiff, complete reach, when there were better players on the board.

Trades were happening all around them there and they didn’t think to get out of that pick? 

Beane said in his presser they had a few offers to move in the 3rd, but he didn’t like how far they’d have to drop so he took Dorian. He has traded up in 4 of 6 drafts, he gets super antsy and impatient, when I’d rather he sit in a dark room until it’s time to pick. I don’t like sacrificing picks. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mrags said:

I don’t think he ever starts or see significant time with this pick. Ever. He will play STs and that’s it. That’s my take and I’m sticking to it. Wasted pick. 

Good to see you’re open minded🤓.. yes we would like to see 3rd picks start/contribute immediately. We shall see 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just now, JerseyBills said:

Saw his highlights and came away with this.

Pros: Fast, Hard Hitter, Sound Tackler with really good closing speed.

Cons: Small by NFL LB standards and appears to process plays slowly. 

Maybe not BPA but honestly not an awful pick either.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.