Who did you want when the Bills were on the clock in the 1st round in 2023?

No_Matter_What

Who did you want when the Bills were on the clock in the 1st round in 2023?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you want when the Bills were on the clock in the 1st round in 2023?

• WR Jalin Hyatt
    • WR Josh Downs
    • TE Michael Mayer
    • TE Dalton Kincaid
    • TE Darnell Washington
    • OG O'Cyrus Torrence
    • OT Anton Harrison
    • OT Dawand Jones
    • C John Michael Schmitz
    • CB Joey Porter
    • S Brian Branch
    • LB Drew Sanders
    • LB Trenton Simpson
    • DE Myles Murphy
    • DE Nolan Smith
    • DT Bryan Breese
    • DT Mazi Smith

I wanted Nolan Smith, I think he could be a differnce maker as a pass rusher but I think the exact same about Kincaid but for the offense, he will be put in many situations and will be an absolute mismatch. We took a position that was supposedly 1 of the most talented groups in this class and it's criminal that they fell like they did in this passing era but that's excellent for us.

• Like (+1) 1

After the run on WR's I would have stayed put. Smith or one of the top two TEs would have been there are 27.  Even Harrison would have been ok at 27.  I don't hate the pick as some do. I like the two TE set.  I think it can be devastating and give Josh some easy completions if he is willing to take them.  Don't love giving up a 4th.  

Smith would have filled an immediate need at edge, but in the end getting more options for the offense is paramount.  Hopefully OT in round 2.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I know it was a specific situation since we jumped the Cowboys so some positions were more likely than others, but it doesn't change the point - from available players, who did you want the Bills to select?

Go on record!

When we jumped the Cowboys I knew it was Kincaid, cuz that was only reason to do that. 

And based on BPA, he is the right pick based on the board.  I felt he was the best player still on the board overall.  I would have been happy with Anton too given Brown is still a big question mark.  

I really wanted Addison but wasn’t surprised when he didn’t get past Vikings and felt he was gonna be someone we would have had to trade up for.  

Love Kincaid the talent, just hope Dorsey is better at incorporating talent into the offense this year.  Last year he struggled to use Knox, Cook, Shakir, Hines, etc at times we could have really used more involvement from them.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Figured Kincade was the guy when they traded up. Nolan Smith was the only other possibility IMO. I wanted offense so the pick worked for me.

I'm glad it was. At least the Trade Up made sense that way. I was waiting for the pick to come in and for it to be like Jalin Hyatt or Trenton Simpson or something. The trade up for Elam had me scratching my head.

Also funny we traded in front of Dallas two years in a row.

8 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

After the run on WR's I would have stayed put. Smith or one of the top two TEs would have been there are 27.  Even Harrison would have been ok at 27.  I don't hate the pick as some do. I like the two TE set.  I think it can be devastating and give Josh some easy completions if he is willing to take them.  Don't love giving up a 4th.  

Smith would have filled an immediate need at edge, but in the end getting more options for the offense is paramount.  Hopefully OT in round 2.

Dallas would have taken Kincaid.  That’s why they made the move.

I would have gone Torrence because I like the big uglies up front, but I think they made a good move here.  Dorsey needs to get inventive and Josh needs to take the shorter stuff more.

Edited by oldmanfan

The fact we got a playmaker,  probably immediate playmaker at pick 25 , brings me joy. That's all I wanted offensively or defensively and this kid fits the bill.

I'm not into cfb that much , so I had no real targets but I'm stoked we got a playmaker late in rd1  who cares if he's a TE

I voted Dalton Kincaid, but it’s mainly because I 99% knew he had to be the pick when we jumped Dallas.  

If we stood pat and he was on the board, I would’ve been surprised at taking him, actually.  Not good or bad surprised, just surprised. 

…but once the run on WR’s happened, and we traded over Dallas …. I think I probably was like most in saying to my friends “This has to be a Tight End”… and with Kincaid as the clear top playmaking TE, I found myself dreading a RD2 caliber WR or someone like Myles Murphy.   

Pleasantly surprised when they said his name. 

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

When we jumped the Cowboys I knew it was Kincaid, cuz that was only reason to do that. 

Although this turned out to be the case, it wouldn’t have been the only scenario plausible for making the trade with Jax.  Another possibility was that two teams, the Bills plus one….maybe the Chiefs….we’re in a bidding war for the Jax pick knowing they both wanted the same player.  It could have been the Chiefs trying to jump the Bills and the Bills blocking that…..it wasn’t, but it could have been.

Truth be told I wanted Anton Harrison

But that’s because I can’t remember the last time we actually took a tight end in the first round. I’m not sure that we’ve ever done that.

For those of us that have been around for a while that was always the perennial question before they drafted Dawson Knox were we ever going to consider tight end a priority? We never seem to draft them.

After we selected them, I was totally thrilled with the pick and I still think that Anton Harrison is gonna end up being a good player

After the 4 WRs all went I wanted Kincaid after watching more stuff on him since I saw him so high on a lot of boards. Dallas looked devastated when they saw us take him.

Suck it Jerruh...

Edited by Big Turk

20 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Trade back. Could have had a very good TE on day 2. Many had the guy from ND or the guy from Iowa higher not to mention the freak from Georgia who is going to be a beast 

you always take the chance of not being able to get those players when you trade back

for instance, I would love to have Matt Bergeron in the second round there’s no guarantee that we’re gonna be able to get him

I wanted Torrence. I don't actually know that much about him, but conceptually I think Josh needs interior protection more than he needs another TE to throw to. If Torrence really was the best G in the draft, then I think it would have been nice to have taken him.

• Agree 1

I thought we might trade up with the Lions and take Flowers but once that WR run happened and I saw the trade up over Dallas I knew we were getting Kincaid and I was ecstatic. Josh gets his security blanket who has Kelce potential. Watch any film on this kid and you’ll see one of the only 2 special pass catchers in this class (flowers is the other)…now let’s get an O lineman in round 2 to protect Josh and trade our 6th round pick for Hopkins 🥳 

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Truth be told I wanted Anton Harrison

But that’s because I can’t remember the last time we actually took a tight end in the first round. I’m not sure that we’ve ever done that.

For those of us that have been around for a while that was always the perennial question before they drafted Dawson Knox were we ever going to consider tight end a priority? We never seem to draft them.

After we selected them, I was totally thrilled with the pick and I still think that Anton Harrison is gonna end up being a good player

We drafted a TE in the first round the same year we drafted Jimbo.........Actually a few picks before Kelly I believe.

1 hour ago, skibum said:

I wanted Torrence. I don't actually know that much about him, but conceptually I think Josh needs interior protection more than he needs another TE to throw to. If Torrence really was the best G in the draft, then I think it would have been nice to have taken him.

After the runs on Tackles and WRs, I was looking to see who the best guard available was.  

But, after some research, I'm happy with Kincaid.  Though I'm still hoping for some OL help.  

I wanted them to trade up to Seattle - I did not think the Seahawks were taking WR.  I thought the Bills would trade up to ensure they got the best WR on their draft board, and figured the run would start with Baltimore, SD and the Giants coming up.

My guess is that they were content with selecting 3 of the 4 WRS or Kincaid and rolled the dice one or two would be there at 27.  When the WRs were gone it left only Kincaid and Dallas in front.

Edited by DasNootz

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.