Rodgers Traded to Jets Officially

Dablitzkrieg

21 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Says presumably full grown man on internet fan message board for professional football team in a different division. 

Lol dude's statement is so ridiculous. I'm going to make a post on Chiefs Planet telling them they need to cope with Russell Wilson and Jimmy G. I don't know how they will handle it

32 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Says presumably full grown man on internet fan message board for professional football team in a different division. 

There’s a lot of grown men trying to pretend that Rodgers somehow doesn’t make the Jets a real contender to win the division.  The Jets have a hell of a roster, and they just added a QB who has been MVP in two of the past three seasons.  The Bills are still favorites to win the East, but Vegas only has them as them at about a 40% chance.  I realize that half of this board believes that only the Bills have good players, but Aaron Rodgers is pretty good IMO.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

Yeah. So they got him for a (likely) 1st and a 2nd. Nothing wrong with that given his age honestly I thought they’d get more out of the Jets.

Oh boy - I agree with you on the bolded but there’s folks here that will definitely argue that point. We’ll call them the “rather validate my predictions than be a fan” crowd.

Yeh you make a point I just don’t see where if you look at it strictly on a player for player basis they are near the Bills level. 

58 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

did rodgers share some of his ayahuasca with you????

Are they? 

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Billl said:

There’s a lot of grown men trying to pretend that Rodgers somehow doesn’t make the Jets a real contender to win the division.  The Jets have a hell of a roster, and they just added a QB who has been MVP in two of the past three seasons.  The Bills are still favorites to win the East, but Vegas only has them as them at about a 40% chance.  I realize that half of this board believes that only the Bills have good players, but Aaron Rodgers is pretty good IMO.

No need to be scared of the Jets on our behalf champ…

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

We should pray that he isn't that good. 

Favre took the Jets from being the 25th ranked scoring offense to the 9th ranked. Anything similar to that with Rodgers - and with the Jets defense - would not be a good thing for us.

Exactly. We're not talking about replacing some middle of the road QB like Andy Dalton with Aaron Rodgers. We are talking about taking maybe the worst QB room in football and bringing in a guy who was the MVP in 2020 and 2021. He doesn't have to be godlike to make them a lot better.

Well said.  Personally, I think they have the best roster in the AFCE as of the moment.

26 minutes ago, Billl said:

I think you're going a little above-and-beyond with your hyperbolic characterizations of "this board" in an attempt to do what so many grown men seem to love doing on the internet: trolling against some perceived tribal groupthink because you like to upset anonymous "opponents." 

You do you, I guess. You're certainly not alone. 

I find this board to be all over the place, and not riddled with unreasonable homers any more than any other team. I think the team's fraught legacy actually caters to some pretty annoying fatalists, to be honest. 

But as for Rodgers joining the Jets: OF COURSE it makes them better in the short term. He's been one of the best we've ever seen. And their roster IS dangerous. His ability and dedication entering 2023 is also fair game for debate. Past performance does not guarantee future results (including last year's drop-off). But at his age, Rodgers is at least a candidate for decline.  

42 minutes ago, Billl said:

Pretty good from Aaron Rodgers won't win the division.    

If you still think he's an MVP quality player going into a season where he turns 40.........and given everything that's transpired with him the past year and a half...........then say THAT.

Pretty good and great are a significant distance apart.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I think you're going a little above-and-beyond with your hyperbolic characterizations of "this board" in an attempt to do what so many grown men seem to love doing on the internet: trolling against some perceived tribal groupthink because you like to upset anonymous "opponents." 

You do you, I guess. You're certainly not alone. 

I find this board to be all over the place, and not riddled with unreasonable homers any more than any other team. I think the team's fraught legacy actually caters to some pretty annoying fatalists, to be honest. 

But as for Rodgers joining the Jets: OF COURSE it makes them better in the short term. He's been one of the best we've ever seen. And their roster IS dangerous. His ability and dedication entering 2023 is also fair game for debate. Past performance does not guarantee future results (including last year's drop-off). But at his age, Rodgers is at least a candidate for decline.  

Rodgers absolutely makes them better. Only thing I see maybe throwing a wrench in their plan is he’s proven to be sort of a temperamental (and petty) guy, and if things don’t go well for them immediately the wheels could fall off. By that I mean slights at the WRs, veiled complaints about the offense and the offensive coaches, etc…

But yeah I’m not a blind homer Aaron Rodgers is very good. Hopefully for only 1 or 2 more years.

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And Rogers is 40 years old and looking more like an aging Manning or Brees rather then Brady.  IMO we'll see a significant decline in Rogers play this year. It happens fast and in a couple of seasons you can easily go from an MVP to a below average QB.

True. But again, we aren't talking about Aaron Rodgers replacing Andy Dalton or Mac Jones. Those are ordinary mediocrities, the type teams are always looking to upgrade from.

We are talking about this:

Zach Wilson: 72.8 QB rating

Mike White: 75.7

Joe Flacco: 75.2

Remember how awful Russell Wilson was last year? 84.4

Mac Jones? 84.8

Meanwhile, Aaron Rodgers (in either a down season or the start of a decline; the jury is out): 91.1. And that follows MVP seasons of 121.5 and 111.9.

So even if he's the 2022 version of Aaron Rodgers, or even if he's somewhat worse than that, the Jets still get better.

Just now, JoPoy88 said:

Rodgers absolutely makes them better. Only thing I see maybe throwing a wrench in their plan is he’s proven to be sort of a temperamental (and petty) guy, and if things don’t go well for them immediately the wheels could fall off. By that I mean slights at the WRs, veiled complaints about the offense and the offensive coaches, etc…

But yeah I’m not a blind homer Aaron Rodgers is very good. Hopefully for only 1 or 2 more years.

Of course acquiring Aaron Rodgers is good for the Jets and potentially bad for the Bills. But it's not just the QB's enigmatic persona that introduces risk into the equation; it's also said QB's age, recent health (I know not MUCH there), and late-season (especially post-season) performances.

The Jets are spending a 1st next year (if Rodgers is mostly healthy in 2023) and a 2nd this year, PLUS kind of grenading some of their roster/cap mapping to go all in here. I'd actually love to see more on how this move affects their cap, what they need to do to be compliant now and next year, etc. Rodgers doesn't strike me as a guy who would do much to reduce his own cap burden, but I don't know the guy. 

It's definitely an interesting development.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Burrow? He's been great no doubt, but look what he's got around him.

Give Josh 3 Pro Bowl caliber WRs, a very good RB and TE and a above average OL and see what happens. 

I have to ask anyone who places Burrow over Allen, have you watched his last two playoff losses? He didn't play very well against the Rams. Against the Chiefs he threw up two stupid balls to no one that got intercepted. Both of those games were there to be had if Burrow played better. I find it weird that no one ever talks about this and he just gets a pass.

• Like (+1) 2

I think the Jets gave up way too much for Rodgers. Would not be surprised that the Packers could be thinking about next years draft. They probably won’t do very well next year, but anything is possible. However they could package both firsts next year to move up for one of the top qb’s. It’s supposed to be a great qb class. I know this is way premature and somewhat crazy speculation, but it would be a long term strategy versus the Jets that will be lucky to get two years out of Rodgers.

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

True. But again, we aren't talking about Aaron Rodgers replacing Andy Dalton or Mac Jones. Those are ordinary mediocrities, the type teams are always looking to upgrade from.

We are talking about this:

Zach Wilson: 72.8 QB rating

Mike White: 75.7

Joe Flacco: 75.2

Remember how awful Russell Wilson was last year? 84.4

Mac Jones? 84.8

Meanwhile, Aaron Rodgers (in either a down season or the start of a decline; the jury is out): 91.1. And that follows MVP seasons of 121.5 and 111.9.

So even if he's the 2022 version of Aaron Rodgers, or even if he's somewhat worse than that, the Jets still get better.

Are you suggesting that spending a 1st and 2nd round pick PLUS elite starter money (maybe not actually elite starter money for the Jets after all, in 2023 alone at least*) to simply "get better" is wise? You only make this move to try and win a championship while some young, elite roster pieces are affordable enough to allow for it. 

*a quick review of Rodgers on Spotrac has me wondering if his deal is actually pretty workable for the Jets (not being on the hook for his signing bonus), or if those annual option bonuses still make it financially constraining. I don't know the status of his 2023 option bonus (can be paid/activated from March 17 through week one). Maybe that complicates the otherwise ridiculous ~$15M cap hit?

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They have a better receiving core than us.

Is that a fact? Diggs is in a league of his own. Corey Davis and Gabe Davis are the same caliber of player. Allen Lazard is fine. Mecole Hardman, fine. Meh. They're maybe equally talented WR corps with opposite problems - the Bills don't have enough good talent behind Diggs, the Jets have a lot of good talent but nothing top tier (unless Garrett Wilson steps into that stratosphere this season, which is possible).

The Jets defense is for real. But people are way overrating the talent they have on offense. Still question marks on the OL, they don't have a true difference maker in their skill positions, Breece Hall may not be the same player until 2024. It isn't a totally solid group. Just a lot of potential with a wild card at QB.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillMafia716ix said:

I’m not going to sit here and act like Aaron Rodgers to the Jets is not a big deal. It is. He’s probably the best regular season QB ever. With that defense, they could very well win the division. Hell we lost to Zach Wilson and struggled vs. a 3rd string QB in the playoffs. 

Exactly how I feel. 

47 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Well said.  Personally, I think they have the best roster in the AFCE as of the moment.

I think one could reasonable argue their roster is better than Buffalo's. 

• Like (+1) 1

Not really concerned about Rodgers with the Jets. One thing to remember is that Rodgers has had the benefit of playing in a weak division for a long time. This division minus New England is probably the most competitive division he's played in in years. If there are those that think he didn't drop off last season or that it don't matter? Just because Brady played well in his 40s doesn't mean Rodgers will duplicate that same success. And for those that are putting the Jets defense on a pedestal, Quinnen Williams is pounding the table for more money and is already threatening to hold out. And he's their biggest playmaker on the D line.

I may sound homerish but there is merit to all of this. For what the Jets gave up to get Rodgers, they better be SB contenders right off the bat and I'm just not seeing it. Because once Rodgers is gone, they're gonna end up right back where they started, QB purgatory. Either that or they'll go the way of Indy and just sign has beens and go back to 4-13 seasons

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Richard Noggin said:

Of course acquiring Aaron Rodgers is good for the Jets and potentially bad for the Bills. But it's not just the QB's enigmatic persona that introduces risk into the equation; it's also said QB's age, recent health (I know not MUCH there), and late-season (especially post-season) performances.

The Jets are spending a 1st next year (if Rodgers is mostly healthy in 2023) and a 2nd this year, PLUS kind of grenading some of their roster/cap mapping to go all in here. I'd actually love to see more on how this move affects their cap, what they need to do to be compliant now and next year, etc. Rodgers doesn't strike me as a guy who would do much to reduce his own cap burden, but I don't know the guy. 

It's definitely an interesting development.

yeah I agree with all that but I’d just add since you mentioned recent post-season performances our guy hasn’t looked his best either in those spaces. Granted I’ll assume that’s an anomaly and he is 13 years younger than Rodgers but still.

28 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Bills could barely survive the Jets with Wilson. This move puts the Jets into the Chiefs/Bengals tier. 

25 minutes ago, HerdMentality said:

Rogers is cooked.

The duality of man.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This signing means DHop is essential for the Bills to sign. Give them 3 Draft picks for all I care. The AFC is loaded -including our Division. What we excel at and has been the backbone of 3 consecutive Division titles is Allen doing Allen things. Diggs absolutely must have a counterpart for Josh to compete now. 

GET IT DONE!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

if he plays even 3 years at a high level, Jets will be a problem.   Phins already on par with the Bills, as last years games showed, now the Jets are as well.   But thats ok, go play the games and beat them.  

Again, Its all about offense, offense and more offense.   Top AFC teams w top QBs will move the ball and score on the Bills (and everyone else), so lets load up on offense to win in the NFlagFL.  

• Like (+1) 1

Very good news for the Bills, I think.

The Jets were clearly an up and coming team, beating the Bills this year and young, improving, maybe getting ready to challenge a weaker Bills team for the division.

Now they will have a non-leader head-case 'leading' them for hopefully 2-3 years, undermining the coach, the younger players (at 40, this could be all of them), and making it all about himself--always.  And also making it much more difficult to spend where needed to really take that next step--waiting to see the financial details, hoping the Jets are paying most of that king's ransom this year and next.

Looking forward to seeing Rodgers react to the New York media's criticism of his waning skills and narcissism.  Should be a fun ride for Bills fans!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Very good news for the Bills, I think.

The Jets were clearly an up and coming team, beating the Bills this year and young, improving, maybe getting ready to challenge a weaker Bills team for the division.

Now they will have a non-leader head-case 'leading' them for hopefully 2-3 years, undermining the coach, the younger players (at 40, this could be all of them), and making it all about himself--always.  And also making it much more difficult to spend where needed to really take that next step--waiting to see the financial details, hoping the Jets are paying most of that king's ransom this year and next.

Looking forward to seeing Rodgers react to the New York media's criticism of his waning skills and narcissism.  Should be a fun ride for Bills fans!

I think too much is made of Rodgers relationship with the media. Rodgers "fights back" with the media all the time over the years. Has it affected his play? Guy is one of the best to do it and he is a slam dunk HOF in his first year of eligibility. Rodgers doesn't let the media affect his play. Never has and never will.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

New England should feel so good right now.

The return to their Super Bowl days are right around the corner.

APB there for jumpers from bridges and buildings.

LOL.

This meme comes to mind when thinking about the Patriots (just add one more serious-looking head):

cover3.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Gregg said:

2nd worst? He is better than Tua and Jones

The intent is to troll.

I especially like the "Mac is ahead of all of them" comment.

16 minutes ago, nucci said:

is 2nd worst like 3rd best? I think he's going to have a good year with the Jets

I mean when it's out of 4 players you could say Mac is the 4th best still making him the worst.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.