Rodgers Traded to Jets Officially

Dablitzkrieg

18 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Yep.

Difference is that Favre didn’t go to a Jets team with a great RB, exciting young WR, and best defense in the NFL.

Favre went to a jets team with one of the best offensive lines in football though…multiple pro bowlers and a should be hall of famer.

the current jets are very much not that on the OL.  If they hold up there they could be great but there’s a pretty decent  chance we see early last season Aaron rodgers/packers offense 

27 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I'm more worried about that defense. The Bills had a rough time against it last season and lost to zack Wilson led jets because of that defense. Anyone saying that this is not an upgrade for the jets is silly. Im not predicting anything other that a dog fight in the arc east. 

Literally nobody is saying that

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

It was the offensive line…packers oline was absolutely awful early in the season and then they did a huge reshuffle and locked it down a bit.

The jets don’t have world beaters at wr either 

the jets rookie of the year WR was pretty good. 

1 hour ago, QCity said:

a 2024 1st round pick is valued as a 2nd rounds pick today.

Future assets are devalued typically by 1 round.

Except it will be a first round next year no getting around it. When next year rolls around and they don’t have a first round pick nobody’s gonna say oh that’s worth a second. 

1 hour ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

and the jets still have a joke of a head coach. 

Total Meathead :lol:

Garrett Wilson is very nice at WR1, but even he’s not very scary to me. No one else even scares me at all, not even Rodgers.

Now the Bengals, that’s another story.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Rico said:

Total Meathead :lol:

Garrett Wilson is very nice at WR1, but even he’s not very scary to me. No one else even scares me at all, not even Rodgers.

Now the Bengals, that’s another story.

Rodgers will make someone a fantasy star.  Im not too worried about Cincinnati.  That coach cried and cried how they got ripped off, and  were in the championship game.  Shut up and beat KC ya crybaby.  He's their detriment.  

This is an undeniable upgrade at Qb for the Jets even if Rodgers is average. If he’s anywhere near MVP level it’s obviously a huge upgrade. So I do expect the Jets to be better next season. But they are also going to have a lot of pressure and expectations on them now. It’ll be interesting to see how the team + coaches handle the much higher expectations.

Also, this could really complicate the Jets future cap situation. 

https://overthecap.com/jets-and-packers-agree-on-trade-for-aaron-rodgers

The Jets are responsible for Rodgers $59.515 million salary in 2023, but he will only count for $15.79 million on the salary cap. Things get tricky in 2024 because the cap charges are largely based on what Rodgers decides to do. Rodgers has $49.25 million that is protected for injury in 2024 and it becomes fully guaranteed if he is on the roster a few days after the Super Bowl.

There are three scenarios for 2024. If Rodgers plays his cap hit will be $32.541 million. If he decides he no longer wants to be with the Jets or they decide they no longer want him he will count for $43.725 million in dead money. If he retires he would likely sign a contract to help the team out which would split his dead money cap charge to $14.575 million in 2024 and $29.15 million in 2025.

If Rodgers makes it to 2025 again there would be multiple scenarios. Technically, he is under contract for the 2025 season but the salary is so low it is unlikely that he would ever honor the deal.  If he decides to not want to play for the Jets they would have to deal with $60.48 million in dead money in 2025.  My feeling is he would work with the team whether if being released or retired to allow the Jets to split that number at $30.241 million per year. If he decided he wants to continue with the Jets they would still have a minimum of $30.241 million in cap charges and would add on to that accordingly.

As for the Bills, this makes our division harder. But we only play NY twice. It shouldn’t make our break our season. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FLFan said:

Rogers performance last year in all major statistical categories  was well below his career average numbers.  He was flat out mediocre in a number of games I saw.  No one knows of course whether 2022 was an anomaly or the beginning of the end for a great player.  It is not unusual for players to suffer a precipitous decline at the end of their useful shelf life in the NFL, especially quarterbacks.  Rogers strikes me as a player who has mentally checked out.  Perhaps he will be revived with his new team, perhaps the skills are intact and he will make a run at MVP in 2023.  He has always been too selfish to be much of a leader so the Jets should not be counting on that.  Personally, I would not bet on a Rogers turnaround.  That said, even 50% of his best self is an upgrade over what the Jets had, so on paper at least, they are better.  They now probably have the second best QB in the division.  They should certainly not be favored over the Bills to win the AFCE, and they are not.  

I think he was a year past "being done" w the Packers org.  Losing Adams was a major blow to that offense as well.  He had 2 rookie WR's and Lazard who is a WR2 at best on most teams.  He definitely needed to move on and is now in his prime "win now" years with a stacked team a la Brady.

The Jets are nasty on D.  Under 200 passing ypg allowed.  Sauce island is here for the duration of Josh.  The reality is that they are not going to have to shootout to win most games.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.