Rodgers Traded to Jets Officially

Dablitzkrieg

It appears that Green Bay officially doesn’t think he is worth the trouble anymore…, 

1 hour ago, Airseven said:

Inevitable, but the announcement still feels huge. He’s ideal for that roster and electric for the fanbase. Jets are contenders.

I disagree.  Rogers is Brees not Brady.  He has begun his rapid fall from the elite ranks of QB's due to age.  

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

One could argue they now have a more complete roster than the Bills…

This makes them better right now, no doubt about it.  The only way this move is a win for them is if they win a Super Bowl this year.  Anything less and they have busted their cap and traded away the draft capital needed to start the rebuild.  They will win too many games to be selecting near the top of the draft where the best QB prospects will go.  If they want to trade up they will mortgage even more of their future to do so.

This is the ultimate win now move.  Joe Douglas is rolling the dice.

1 minute ago, Inigo Montoya said:

This makes them better right now, no doubt about it.  The only way this move is a win for them is if they win a Super Bowl this year.  Anything less and they have busted their cap and traded away the draft capital needed to start the rebuild.  They will win too many games to be selecting near the top of the draft where the best QB prospects will go.  If they want to trade up they will mortgage even more of their future to do so.

This is the ultimate win now move.  Joe Douglas is rolling the dice.

Douglas has put together one hell of a team…

22 minutes ago, BlazinBill said:

If you read that and think I'm serious then Its comical - it's called sarcasm and it's aimed at the fact that we are never good enough on this board

But the naysayers are soooooo prevalent. They seem to take over good threads that if we didn't sign OBJ for $50 mil a year, then we wouldn't win any games. 

Honest mistake. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

One could argue they now have a more complete roster than the Bills…

Fair assessment.  

IF, big if… Von, Tre and Hyde are 90% of their pre-injury selves, I still like our roster (pre-draft) better. 

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I think it’s a great short term move for the Jets. They are a contender with Rodgers.

The negative is if it goes average or bad even the New York Media is going to eat Rodgers alive and Rodgers hates the media. 

Terrible long term move though imo…still don’t think they’re going to get through the tough afc to the Super Bowl.  Givin up a lot to be back to square one in a few years when they have no qb and have to extend a bunch of their young guys who have been playing well

Just now, Draconator said:

But the naysayers are soooooo prevalent. They seem to take over good threads that if we didn't sign OBJ for $50 mil a year, then we wouldn't win any games. 

Honest mistake. 

It's all good here - I get it - I kinda never read on here anymore because of it- I just saw the opportunity for a low hanging curve- I knew the board would be melting 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

It appears that Green Bay officially doesn’t think he is worth the trouble anymore…, 

They got a lot for a guy that was clearly not gonna play for the packers regardless…rodgers injury aside they’re getting two seconds and a better first.

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

They are going to pay a locker room cancer and man who was 90% sure he was going to retire two months ago $50mm and burn some serious draft capital for the privilege.

It could work out but I have my doubts.  Time will tell.  

I am certain of one thing though, if this thing goes sideways it is going to be must see tv!

Based on all the time you spent in the Packers locker room as a teammate?

Rogers performance last year in all major statistical categories  was well below his career average numbers.  He was flat out mediocre in a number of games I saw.  No one knows of course whether 2022 was an anomaly or the beginning of the end for a great player.  It is not unusual for players to suffer a precipitous decline at the end of their useful shelf life in the NFL, especially quarterbacks.  Rogers strikes me as a player who has mentally checked out.  Perhaps he will be revived with his new team, perhaps the skills are intact and he will make a run at MVP in 2023.  He has always been too selfish to be much of a leader so the Jets should not be counting on that.  Personally, I would not bet on a Rogers turnaround.  That said, even 50% of his best self is an upgrade over what the Jets had, so on paper at least, they are better.  They now probably have the second best QB in the division.  They should certainly not be favored over the Bills to win the AFCE, and they are not.  

Edited by FLFan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Process said:

That's a lot to give up. Obviously if he is in MVP form it's worth it. But he did not look good last year. 

Was he just coasting knowing he was done with the Packers, or is he on the decline?

He had noone to throw to. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.