Motor to Texans

FireChans

He was underappreciated I think. Wish him well and with a decent OLine he will. We need to draft well and hope some moves are made to upgrade because right now this team has downgraded and other division teams have improved.

Edited by Radar
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

It’s crazy that people still don’t understand why we didn’t, even after Beane said they’re looking for a different body type.

We did not need Motor on offense. The skill set we needed was short distance running, pass blocking, and/or Special Teams. Motor is none of those things. Why would we make an offer?

yup. And if it’s big body and a 3rd or motor - the answer could become clear quickly. 

even drafting a guy mid round would be essentially free at that point and save some cap. 

Good luck to him. I'm a fan. He's not the biggest dude or the fastest but he had a knack for finding a crease and his contact balance is pretty top level of you ask me, one of his best traits. 

I'm certain they're looking to the draft to round out their backfield for this season. I'd say the Beane Man picks a RB no later than round four. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Wagner was released and is not UFA. 

He should not count in the formula 

I agree players release and maybe a trade can happen before the draft.  When it comes to Wagner, he just screams a 1-2 year contract

at his age.  What we don't know is how many other teams (if any) are now looking for a guy like him.  Every week that goes by lowers

his market price.  

• Like (+1) 1

I thought motor was considered a sound blocker. I do agree he was underrated, and would have done better with more rhythm and use. I will miss him and would not have minded if the Bills re-signed him. 

He was an underrated receiver, good teammate, and talented guy. 

Motor's biggest problem was his fumbling. When you nickel and dime the fumbles, there were some costly turnovers over the years. He seemed to fumble a lot, especially when you factor his lower attempts. Total fumbles were middle of the pack, but when you factor his low # of att/ they were high. His fumbles/attempt stat was likely top 5 worst in the NFL last year.

Another flaw; I don't think he was a great short yardage back. Some of that is made worse by our oline, but yeah, I think ultimately, Bills wanted a guy who hit the hole harder...maybe seeing a guy like Pachecho didn't help him. 

Stat-wise he was sorta Fred Jackson like...but not the on field leader, nor the rags to riches story, and he didn't seem as tough as Fred, though he was no pushover.

Edited by RichRiderBills

18 minutes ago, Radar said:

He was underappreciated I think. Wish him well and with a decent OLine he will. We need to draft well and hope some moves are made to upgrade because right now this team has downgraded and other division teams have improved.

I agree, his growth from year one to year three was incredible 

• Like (+1) 1

We don't currently have anyone who was as good a pass blocker or as good at making positive runs when there are no holes.  By the end of the season Cook looked like he was finding his stride as a runner but at this point we are definitely hoping he holds up pass blocking.  Bringing someone in (FA or rookie) as a bigger back is an idea I like but again we will be hoping they understand the offense well enough to pick up blocking assignments on passing downs because if we run 60 plays a game I'm guessing most games 40 or 50 of those plays will be passing.  If we ran the ball more I'd be more inclined to wish we had Motor back.  If we actually continue running as much ( or in reality little) as we have I hope they go with Cook but mix in a real screen game and pass routes out of the backfield.

53 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

They were the second best offense in the league. Not a ton of room for some big leap

I realize they were productive, but there were some predictability issues IMO, and all that long ball stuff was annoying at times. There were easier throws that would get chunks and move the chains. I don’t know if that was Josh, or the elbow, or what, but it could be maddening. 

I’d also like to be able to run the ball when we need to, and not just because it was so unexpected. Even the Bills have said they need to be better at that. You need to be able to run when they know you are going to run. That is how we close out games when we have a lead, which was a lot. 

Protect Josh, give him weapons and be versatile. We were good, and I think we can get better. “Big leap”? OK, maybe progress is a better term. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He runs a 4.67 40. 

There was just no reason to re-sign him because the same model comes out every season on a rookie deal, and they're 22 years old. 

He was a little better all around running back each year.  He was not used well and enough here.

Allen often praised his game, his commitment and his leadership. Allen said he does whatever it takes, always.

Singletary ran well, caught the ball effectively, and is one of the best backs in pass protection,

A rookie may have some of those qualities, yes, but you develop  them over time, by working hard.

You don't cut your best back without a proven starter to replace him, especially when the price was very low.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/16/2023 at 3:52 PM, Beck Water said:

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

That's it Bills fans.  It is going to mean if Beane signs a big dollar UFA before the draft it costs a 3rd round pick next year.

I doubt strongly he gives that up.  He's only going to sign vet minimum type guys to bring to camp to compete.

We can take a break from FA and look to the draft.

After the draft I see the RB signed.

Gotta say this post didnt age well.

FWIW, I dont know if Harris was released or not.

But I think Harris will be better for this Bills team than Singeltary.  Just my opinion.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Gotta say this post didnt age well.

FWIW, I dont know if Harris was released or not.

But I think Harris will be better for this Bills team than Singeltary.  Just my opinion.

It's why we are on message boards and not GMs!

26 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

He was a little better all around running back each year.  He was not used well and enough here.

Allen often praised his game, his commitment and his leadership. Allen said he does whatever it takes, always.

Singletary ran well, caught the ball effectively, and is one of the best backs in pass protection,

A rookie may have some of those qualities, yes, but you develop  them over time, by working hard.

You don't cut your best back without a proven starter to replace him, especially when the price was very low.

I don’t have anything bad to say about Singletary. He was always available, and was solid professional.

He had some make you miss cuts and good vision.

Definitely in 2019 Frank Gore should not have been getting the ball over him.

But I’ve accepted that the Bills are going to be sporadic in their run game usage. And Cook showed more explosiveness right away.

Now that Harris is here to take some of the pounding and pass protection reps, why would it have been smart for the Bills to pay to keep Singletary? 

I didn’t see anything with him that made me think he should be a long term offensive anchor of this team.

Why get attached to a running back that even Bills coaches always kept in a committee and Houston is going to

do the same thing with Pierce.

7 minutes ago, BBills_88 said:

Motor will be missed.

He could have had a better career if our OC's were not pass happy. 

Who do you want to have the ball in their hands?

Motor or Allen? 

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He played up to his draft ceiling, which is to his credit.  The pick on the other hand… that’s 2 of the 3 running backs taken high by Beane already cut loose.

BRANDON BEANE WHAT ARE YOU DOING GOOD SIR? 

Well, it doesn't usually work out giving running backs 2nd contracts. Let them walk and draft their replacement and have another on a cheap rookie deal.

• Disagree 1

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

I know I always said he was super overrated but a 1 year deal for "up to" 3.75 means his market was harrible.

This is officially the eight billionth case of a person finding that ambiguous evidence supports his already-existing bias. And that's just on this board.

Confirmation bias wins again.

$3.5M is 21st in the league. It will depend how much of it is incentives and how easy or difficult they are to achieve. 

But it's much easier to say, "See, I was right," whether or not there's much evidence you are.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, Rigotz said:

It’s crazy that people still don’t understand why we didn’t, even after Beane said they’re looking for a different body type.

We did not need Motor on offense. The skill set we needed was short distance running, pass blocking, and/or Special Teams. Motor is none of those things. Why would we make an offer?

"We did not need Motor on offense," you say? Nah. Again, you can't say that from the evidence, and in fact it doesn't really make sense.

We didn't need him enough to pay the market value for him. Or we needed other skills more than we needed his. That's what this shows.

Oh, and Singletary is a very good pass blocker. It's one of the main reasons they've like him so much for these four years. 

Best of luck to him in all of his future endeavors. He gave it his all.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Interesting to see how hype Texans fans are about signing him.  

I didn’t want him back … at all, but he is an interesting back.   Does almost everything average to above average, elite short area shiftiness, but lacks anything really threatening to the defense. 

7 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

That's it Bills fans.  It is going to mean if Beane signs a big dollar UFA before the draft it costs a 3rd round pick next year.

I doubt strongly he gives that up.  He's only going to sign vet minimum type guys to bring to camp to compete.

We can take a break from FA and look to the draft.

After the draft I see the RB signed.

Lol, about that...

I don't understand why some people are so obsessed with the idea of comp picks, or the notion of believing Beane actively wants them.  Must be closet Patriot fans.

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

This is officially the eight billionth case of a person finding that ambiguous evidence supports his already-existing bias. And that's just on this board.

Confirmation bias wins again.

$3.5M is 21st in the league. It will depend how much of it is incentives and how easy or difficult they are to achieve. 

But it's much easier to say, "See, I was right," whether or not there's much evidence you are.

So wait, your contention is that this is a lucrative contract?

2 hours ago, BBFL said:

Share the exact same sentiments. 

Believe he has a career year in Houston… 1300 APY; 1060 rushing/240 receiving. 10 TDs. 

They have a cheaper starter already who had more APY last year than Devin has ever had in any year in his career.

• Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, FireChans said:

So wait, your contention is that this is a lucrative contract?

They have a cheaper starter already who had more APY last year than Devin has ever had in any year in his career.

You’re right. My bad. Totally forgot about Pierce. Might have been because he was injured to close out the season… who knows how. Thanks for pointing that out. I retract the estimation for Devin 😂

I've always really liked Singletary, but at the same time I never expected the Bills to re-sign him.  If we could reliably pluck a Singletary-like player from the 3rd round every 3-4 years, I'd rather go that route.  Of course, we've seen that that's easier said than done, but still.

I hope he does well in Houston.  I'll be pulling for him.

7 hours ago, Airseven said:

I bet Beane wanted Singletary and pivoted to Harris once Singletary chose the Texans. Beane worries me.

If Beane wanted Singletary back, I’d be worried.  

However it happened, (and I suspect we didn’t make a huge effort to get DS back) we ended up with a RB that makes way more sense for us. 

Cook / Harris / Hines is a pretty dynamic RB room.   Harris gives us power and pass blocking. Cook & Hines give us speed and pass catching.  

Singletary is a do it all RB that does nothing at a high level.  He was redundant and would have held back our Offense. 

14 hours ago, ngbills said:

The guy our coaches chose to get PT over the two guys still on our roster leaves. The response is "look I knew he sucks, nobody wants to pay him". What does this say about the guys we have on our roster to replace him and our coaches? I didn't really care if motor resigned. But its always funny how subtraction is celebrated as we get better. 

Reminds me of Coach McD where he dumped a number of coaches and players to get fresh faces.   Some of fresh faces lasted one year.

Should not be needing to do this on Superbowl capable team.

19 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If Beane wanted Singletary back, I’d be worried.  

However it happened, (and I suspect we didn’t make a huge effort to get DS back) we ended up with a RB that makes way more sense for us. 

Cook / Harris / Hines is a pretty dynamic RB room.   Harris gives us power and pass blocking. Cook & Hines give us speed and pass catching.  

Singletary is a do it all RB that does nothing at a high level.  He was redundant and would have held back our Offense. 

Hines isn't even that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.