Edmunds to Bears

Roundybout

35 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Agreed. I figured the Bears would go after him. It's definitely a loss for the Bills; he had a very good season last year. They're going to have to replace him in FA. I've wanted Lavonte David for a while given that I figured Edmunds was gone.  

Dave I usually like your views.  But have to disagree about Edmunds.  He was overdrafted.  And now is getting overpaid.  

i don't even think he's top 10 in performance at his position (and you could argue he and milano have interchangeable roles, and matt is better).  he has a ton of potential, and was the captain in a great (regular season, statistical) D.

he's just not a playmaker

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Did we have any close to a dominant DT for him to play behind? 

I agree TE has his issues but dude takes way too much blame on this board. We have undersized DTs who get blown up a lot. 

I suspect Edmunds will be average to good in Chicago. 

Edmunds gets a lot of crap on the board. Some is a little overboard indeed. He did a lot of subtle things on defense. 

In the end, I don't think he's worthy of an 18 million dollar contract for 5 years. That's overpaying by a lot imho. I'm happy he was able to get paid because he was a good team player. 

Now, the Bills have a pretty big hole to fill. Interesting to see their plans going forward. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I am relieved he’s gone. Never lived up to the hype. Never could hit the hole and stop the run or sack the qb. 0 instincts. All I wanted him to do was to lay out Julian edleman when he ran across the middle but he couldn’t even do that. 

Won’t miss him chasing down a player like Perriman. 

so what he could drop back in cover two zone and hold his spot. Whoop-dee-*****-do

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Liability in run game.  Great in pass coverage with that length 

But he Lacked instincts,  especially the killer instinct Milano played with 

Not a ra ra leader I'd like as the QB of the defense 

The Bills had the 4th best rushing defense in 2022. He wasn’t “a liability.” Edmunds is a very good player that will be tough to replace. I think that $18M AAV is too much for the Bills but I’m not going to pretend that this is a good development.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

41 minutes ago, LEBills said:

Goodbye Tremaine, you were good just not great

Poles is obv a Bills fan trying to take Bates last year and getting Tremaine this year. Hope they keeping adding OL for Fields beyond Nate Davis

I went to school with Poles, he was a HUGE Bills fan. I am happy and proud of him, he is a good dude I enjoy watching him succeed to theblevel he has.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I suspect Edmunds will be average to good in Chicago. 

Edmunds gets a lot of crap on the board. Some is a little overboard indeed. He did a lot of subtle things on defense. 

In the end, I don't think he's worthy of an 18 million dollar contract for 5 years. That's overpaying by a lot imho. I'm happy he was able to get paid because he was a good team player. 

Now, the Bills have a pretty big hole to fill. Interesting to see their plans going forward. 

Fair points. I will say their head coach make Leonard, an all pro with far less tools. Also, I bet he gets to blitz more where he can be an absolute menace.  It is a lot of money.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I am relieved he’s gone. Never lived up to the hype. Never could hit the hole and stop the run or sack the qb. 0 instincts. All I wanted him to do was to lay out Julian edleman when he ran across the middle but he couldn’t even do that. 

Won’t miss him chasing down a player like Perriman. 

so what he could drop back in cover two zone and hold his spot. Whoop-dee-*****-do

Sour grapes from someone who must have been in a coma when Edmunds had a great year and represented our most physical player. You think professional GMs give 72 million to a inside LB that is what you’ve describing. You’re talking about his first couple years. He was 24 last year.

29 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

This thread is really dragging all of the Edmunds hating weirdos out of the woodworks. It was nice when he had them real quiet during this past season.

Quite like the time he damn near killed Dane Jackson with his infamous “jump on the pile” tackle strategy? 

I promise you I hated his overpursuing ass -  and was vocal about it - during the season. So weirdos, at least speaking for myself, were here all along. 

Bears

Traded for Mack (for 2 1sts, a 3rd and a 6th), sign him to a 6 year extension for 144 million (most of any Defender in history), trade him after 4 years (get a 2nd and a 6th).

Draft Smith at #8.  Trade him 4 years later for a second.

Sign Edmunds to the biggest ILB contract in the league.

• Haha (+1) 1

Congrats to Maine. Good kid and was a good Bill. Just not good enough. Perhaps he will reach his potential with the Bears but I doubt it. And that contract is a massive overpay, even understanding that this is the norm in FA. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Bills had the 4th best rushing defense in 2022. He wasn’t “a liability.” Edmunds is a very good player that will be tough to replace. I think that $18M AAV is too much for the Bills but I’m not going to pretend that this is a good development.

Finally, someone who’s objective. These people that won’t acknowledge his performance last season have sacrificed their credibility.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Quite like the time he damn near killed Dane Jackson with his infamous “jump on the pile” tackle strategy? 

I promise you I hated his overpursuing ass -  and was vocal about it - during the season. So weirdos, at least speaking for myself, were here all along. 

The fact that you hold a grudge for an accident on the football and still hated him during his best season actually perfectly demonstrates your weird hate fetish for him. So thanks for that.

Edited by gobills404

39 minutes ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

Thank GOD! The most polarizing player in Bills history. He’s not a leader - nobody can argue with this statement. I’ll never forget the Jags loss last year when he did not play. He sat at the end of the bench, not involved whatsoever. This was when I decided I was done with him and Gisele (poster) can remember this moment when I threw my hands up and said he was hopeless. Good riddance. 

Seriously? How much do you know about Bills history?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Eastport bills said:

Finally, someone who’s objective. These people that won’t acknowledge his performance last season have sacrificed their credibility.

Or maybe Tremaine was mostly a cog in the wheel. 

We were blowing out some teams last year. Of course teams weren’t going to run on us when they are down big . 

Also let’s get Wagner, or L David and see how they perform in this D. My guess is that they outplay Tremaine at a fraction of the price 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DJB said:

We were blowing out some teams last year. Of course teams weren’t going to run on us when they are down big . 

Also let’s get Wagner, or L David and see how they perform in this D. My guess is that they outplay Tremaine at a fraction of the price 

I'd like to see that too (and, btw, I'm sincere, not sarcastic.) No way in hell we need to pay an LB $18 million a year.

Edited by Nephilim17
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Governor said:

We had to watch him play.

As did I and I was not hyper critical as some. Realize that he is 24.  The same as guys in this year's draft only Edmunds has 5 years NFL experience.  I think he will excel in the new defensive scheme.

20 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Not saying Edmunds is this guy, but there's a certain type of player who is okay-but-nothing special for his first several seasons, blows up during his contract year, and signs the richest offer sheet put up by a perennial laughingstock when he hits FA.  Those guys don't tend to work out.  

Now, Edmunds is an unusual case because he was so young when he entered the league.  But still.

I see where you’re coming from and we have to remember he literally played with difference makers at every level of the defense here. He will be the guy in Chicago that they build the defense around he’s just not that kind of player. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DJB said:

Edmunds STRENGTH was his pass defense. If you’re always leading, as the Bills are, that’s more important. His length and athleticism won’t be easy to replace. The Bills will take a step back there. Losing Edmunds ABSOLUTELY makes the Bills worse.  If the offense improves by enough, it hopefully won’t matter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.