Lee Smith defends Ken Dorsey and Tells Angry Bills Fans: “Stay on your couch.”

JohnNord

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2023/02/former-bills-tight-end-tells-fans-to-get-off-ken-dorsey-the-bills-are-going-to-be-terrifying-next-year.html

Former Bills TE Lee Smith wants you to give Ken Dorsey a break!  He spoke with Matt Parrino and Ryan Talbot of the Bills SHOUT podcast to discuss some of the fan criticism.

Before you trash Lee…he was also complimentary of the fan base and he does think great things are on the horizon next year.  Here’s what he said:

Now we’re bitching about 13-win seasons, so it’s like give me a break,” Smith said on the show. “I’m anti-fan sometimes. I watched Josh Allen get booed off the field when I first came back (in 2019). So it’s like give me a break. Stay on your couch and worry about how you make a living and not about Ken Dorsey. He’s a really good coach. He’s a really good man.”

Ken Dorsey, Josh Allen the combination of those two dudes man - just take a deep breath, relax,” Smith said. “Obviously Daboll was really, really good. Dorse will fix (it). It’s his first year being a coordinator man. Go back to Brian Daboll’s first year being a coordinator. I’m not sure if it was great or bad or anywhere in between - I wasn’t with Dabes his first year as a coordinator but give (Dorsey) a break. Nobody wants to fix those little inefficiencies more than Ken Dorsey does. Let him attack this offseason.”

Watch what Dorse and Josh do next year together. It’s gonna be scary guys,” Smith said. “I’m just telling y’all, I’m telling y’all right now the Buffalo Bills are going to be terrifying next year with the rejuvenation and the healing that hopefully takes place this offseason. Just from this crazy tragic eight months.”

Let’s hope that Lee Smith is right!  I have my reservations about him as OC.  

• Like (+1) 22
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 10
  • Dislike 2

All current Bills have stayed on their couches the past 3 weeks, Lee.   He doesn't mention that the Bills last 13 win season ended without a SB appearance--only 2 seasons ago.  Where was his wisdom then---oh yeah, he was on that team.   Nothing to say.

So pipe down, "dude". 

• Vomit 4
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 3

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Has forgotten more about football than you will ever know

Of course he has. Combine being immersed in football day in and day out for years with being hit in the head a lot and also being generally stupid, I'm sure he's forgotten a lot.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I'm not happy with Dorsey but I can understand why he did what he did.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, took a step forward this season on offense. Crowder went down early, McKenzie blew his opportunity.  Gabe Davis didn't show enough to be the #2 the org wanted him to be. Diggs was fantastic, but he can only do so much when the defense is just focused on shutting him down.  The O-Line was horrifying, I don't think I've seen worse guard play this season. The RBs were getting touched at the handoff. Spencer Brown gets beat easily for being a big athletic guy.

It was just rough. Allen hides so many of the warts, he's one of the top 3 most dynamic players in the league.  We need to invest in him and around him, because without Allen this team would be dead in the water. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 6

3 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I'm not happy with Dorsey but I can understand why he did what he did.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, took a step forward this season on offense. Crowder went down early, McKenzie blew his opportunity.  Gabe Davis didn't show enough to be the #2 the org wanted him to be. Diggs was fantastic, but he can only do so much when the defense is just focused on shutting him down.  The O-Line was horrifying, I don't think I've seen worse guard play this season. The RBs were getting touched at the handoff. Spencer Brown gets beat easily for being a big athletic guy.

It was just rough. Allen hides so many of the warts, he's one of the top 3 most dynamic players in the league.  We need to invest in him and around him, because without Allen this team would be dead in the water. 

I am hoping a better OL and at least 1 new WR solves a lot of the issues we saw this year.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

For a first year OC he really wasn't terrible, giving the guy another year to improve isn't that ridiculous.

Agreed. Mind you last offseason people were terrified to lose him so we kept the band together. One of the things I laugh at on the 2021 season and Daboll is so much of the fanbase wanted him gone... then the playoffs happen and all was well Daboll was the GOAT.

I think an experienced OC might have covered some of the holes that emerged by seasons end on offense, but the line play there was no saving from. This to me is like Josh year 2, they are going to invest in the OL and a WR or two to help with targets. Time for Dorsey to take the next step with his play calling and design from there and evolve.

The Frazier criticism I understand far more by comparison.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ngbills said:

He needs to stay on his couch because he is blind. Clearly the offense was off this year. It’s ok to admit that Lee. It starts with accepting there was a problem before it can be fixed. 

Yep, 100% spot on. Started the 2nd half of the Packer game, and continued downhill from there. And I apologize for beating a dead horse here. LOL

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2023/02/former-bills-tight-end-tells-fans-to-get-off-ken-dorsey-the-bills-are-going-to-be-terrifying-next-year.html

Former Bills TE Lee Smith wants you to give Ken Dorsey a break!  He spoke with Matt Parrino and Ryan Talbot of the Bills SHOUT podcast to discuss some of the fan criticism.

Before you trash Lee…he was also complimentary of the fan base and he does think great things are on the horizon next year.  Here’s what he said:

Now we’re bitching about 13-win seasons, so it’s like give me a break,” Smith said on the show. “I’m anti-fan sometimes. I watched Josh Allen get booed off the field when I first came back (in 2019). So it’s like give me a break. Stay on your couch and worry about how you make a living and not about Ken Dorsey. He’s a really good coach. He’s a really good man.”

Ken Dorsey, Josh Allen the combination of those two dudes man - just take a deep breath, relax,” Smith said. “Obviously Daboll was really, really good. Dorse will fix (it). It’s his first year being a coordinator man. Go back to Brian Daboll’s first year being a coordinator. I’m not sure if it was great or bad or anywhere in between - I wasn’t with Dabes his first year as a coordinator but give (Dorsey) a break. Nobody wants to fix those little inefficiencies more than Ken Dorsey does. Let him attack this offseason.”

Watch what Dorse and Josh do next year together. It’s gonna be scary guys,” Smith said. “I’m just telling y’all, I’m telling y’all right now the Buffalo Bills are going to be terrifying next year with the rejuvenation and the healing that hopefully takes place this offseason. Just from this crazy tragic eight months.”

Okay Lee, now convince me on Leslie Frazier 😎

7 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Yep, 100% spot on. Started the 2nd half of the Packer game, and continued downhill from there. And I apologize for beating a dead horse here. LOL

If you listen to the interview, he never claimed the offense was perfect but said he thinks Dorsey is going to figure out what the issues were and that making big changes in season is tough

• Like (+1) 1

Love me some Lee Smith dude is just raw tells it like it is and i have to agree with him those same people that wanted Dabol fired are the same ones that want to fire Dorsey, Beane, Frazier & McD every time something doesn't go just right & they also have a very short memory of what was in Bills past .

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

What I find funny is that a lot of people will complain about the lack of talent on offense and how bad our offensive line is.  I'm included.

With this lack of talent and bad offensive line...we were 3rd in scoring.  I had my issues with Dorsey as well but a lot of it was player execution.  

I'm not worried about Dorsey, I'm more worried about Frazier.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

.....and that making big changes in season is tough

Help me out with this. I saw virtually zero changes/adjustments as October, November, December, & January rolled on. Would devising different schemes, and calling different plays be "big changes?" I mean aren’t coaches (during the season) pretty much immersed in their work 24/7? Seems like there would be plenty of time to adjust things, and maybe even come up with something "new." H*ll, just go watch films of successful offenses (like the Chiefs) and steal their plays.

It ain't brain surgery or rocket science out there. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

someone should tell Lee smith he’s just a fan at this point 

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What I find funny is that a lot of people will complain about the lack of talent on offense and how bad our offensive line is.  I'm included.

With this lack of talent and bad offensive line...we were 3rd in scoring.  I had my issues with Dorsey as well but a lot of it was player execution.  

imagine if we didn’t have to lean on the spectacular throw or hold your breathe on if our qb is injured runs to do it though. 

we were #3 in scoring but took a lot of turnovers and hits to get there

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This is how I feel too.  Frazier has already peaked, I don't think he's capable of pivoting into being a more aggressive coach at this point in his career.

Dorsey at least has potential, and if anything he's too aggressive. That's much better than being too timid. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

someone should tell Lee smith he’s just a fan at this point 

imagine if we didn’t have to lean on the spectacular throw or hold your breathe on if our qb is injured runs to do it though. 

we were #3 in scoring but took a lot of turnovers and hits to get there

We don't have to lean on spectacular throws and Reid gets these same spectacular throws with Mahomes.  He is up there with Allen with the most wow plays.

Lee Smith is not "just" a fan.  He's a former player that understands play design and execution far more than us.  Doesn't mean he's going to be right, he's projecting but he is far more knowledgable than your average fan.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Bruffalo said:

This is how I feel too.  Frazier has already peaked, I don't think he's capable of pivoting into being a more aggressive coach at this point in his career.

Dorsey at least has potential, and if anything he's too aggressive. That's much better than being too timid. 

I agree that it is not implausible that Dorsey can grow into the position. I'm not sure Dorsey's aggression, however, is a good match with Josh who is also naturally aggressive. I sure don't want to take that out of Josh's DNA, but someone has to moderate that quality and repeatedly impress upon the franchise qb that taking the quick hitters and check downs can also be lethal ways to attack.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I agree that it is not implausible that Dorsey can grow into the position. I'm not sure Dorsey's aggression, however, is a good match with Josh who is also naturally aggressive. I sure don't want to take that out of Josh's DNA, but someone has to moderate that quality and repeatedly impress upon the franchise qb that taking the quick hitters and check downs can also be lethal ways to attack.

That's a valid concern for sure. I can't say we'll know for sure one way or the other until next season. 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You may be right about fixing the offense but I feel the opposite about Dorsey.  Talent was an issue on offense for sure - especially on the OL and maybe at WR.  

But if you give Dorsey a pass on talent, why not Frazier?  It seems like he was handicapped from the lack of talent as well - due to injury.  

He had to scheme around a secondary that was missing 3/4 of the starters for most of the year.  Sometimes all 4 starters.  It wasn’t a huge issue since they could get pressure with 4.  Once Miller went down he had to revamp how he called defense.  

I think Frazier needs to change some things on the defense but his track record of finishing in the Top 10 defensively is impressive.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m honestly fine with Dorsey coming back.   He was a first year play caller with a bad OL and mediocre weaponry.  Once his elite QB got hurt and started to not trust the personnel around him, it was a wrap.  

Invest heavy in the OL and WR this year and see what he can do.   

That’s going to require asking our defensive HC and long time DC to actually figure out how to do more with less, which I’m not sure is going to happen so…. Good luck Dorsey. 

Man, I love the fan reaction!   

Here is a guy who has spent a dozen years in pro football locker rooms, who is a recognized team leader, who is a close friend of several of the Bills players, and yet, when he gives his opinion, fans here throw it out like it means nothing.  

Players know when the coaching works and when it doesn't.  They know when the season didn't work because, well, it just didn't work this year.   They know.   And that's what we're hearing from Smith.  He's telling us these players - with these coaches - are ready to move forward.   He's clearly saying that 2022 was an unusual year, everyone on the team knows it, and they'll be a powerhouse team again in 2023.   

For me, I think it's quite interesting to hear his perspective.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.