Allen led all QB's in PFF Offensive Grade at 91.8

Big Turk

Just now, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Joe Marino on his pod yesterday pointed out that Allen’s INT % last year vs this year was (paraphrasing the specifics but this is close) 2.4% to 2.6%…his point was Josh statistically not materially worse in the category. 

I think we just are going to have to live with what he does.  He will drive us crazy with some turnovers but he will also make more unbelievable plays in a season than most QB's do in their career.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 14

8 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I think we just are going to have to live with what he does.  He will drive us crazy with some turnovers but he will also make more unbelievable plays in a season than most QB's do in their career.

Different era, but Jimbo drove me crazy back in the day with INTs. We'll be OK.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Joe Marino on his pod yesterday pointed out that Allen’s INT % last year vs this year was (paraphrasing the specifics but this is close) 2.4% to 2.6%…his point was Josh statistically not materially worse in the category. 

I don’t disagree, but I think where the ints are occurring (RZ) that’s making them more impactful/noticeable. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

I think the big mistake we make with Josh here is comparing his 2022 regular season only to the 2021 playoffs and not the 2021 regular season.  It's a recency bias thing and after watching the perfect game against NE and the shootout against KC we started unrealistically expecting mistake free games littered all over the place. 

• Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I think the big mistake we make with Josh here is comparing his 2022 regular season only to the 2021 playoffs and not the 2021 regular season.  It's a recency bias thing and after watching the perfect game against NE and the shootout against KC we started unrealistically expecting mistake free games littered all over the place. 

100000% agree with this-he also started out the season on fire, on track to smash the total yards for a season record, MVP front runner….we are (myself included) a very spoiled bunch. The mistakes drive you crazy, then you watch the touchdown to Davis and you remember that very few can make that throw 

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

This.  People are expecting perfect games and that just doesnt happen much for any QB.  Unrealistic expectations.  While I think he does need to tone down the turnovers, we dont get those amazing big plays that not many on this planet can even make without the aggressiveness that he has.

We need those big plays because this team doesnt have enough talent around him to consistently march methodically down the field on 15+ play drives.

At the end of the regular season he had 2 more Ints than Mahomes.  Burrow had more ints than Allen over the last 7 games but no one wants to mention that stuff.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Not sure who said it but someone mentioned with Josh as QB the Bills have the largest margin for error in the league…. It’s so true…. Still that margin gets slimmer with better competition. Gotta hope he cuts it out even slightly if they want to advance.

The margin didn't look very wide on Sunday as we found ourselves trailing a team that barely managed 200 yards of offense.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I think some of the current impression is not just the numbers, but also the fact that some were so head scratching it seemed like it should count more than once somehow in my mind. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DaggersEOD said:

I don’t disagree, but I think where the ints are occurring (RZ) that’s making them more impactful/noticeable. 

Which is kind of odd to me…RZ interceptions conceptually feel the worst but an interception on your own side of the field is a lot worse.  

22 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

The margin didn't look very wide on Sunday as we found ourselves trailing a team that barely managed 200 yards of offense.  

I think that is literally OPs point…the margin of error is how much you can fudge around and still win the game and we fudged around a lot and still won the game lol

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Three turnovers. One returned for a TD. Two awful special teams plays setting up short fields for Miami…. A ***** ton of mistakes and they still won…. Yes if they do that against Cincy they are *****.

The margin is a lot wider when Allen isn't the one making the errors.

Despite the turnovers, he makes throws that I saw no other QB make this weekend and those have a bigger impact.

In particular, those throws at the CBs whose backs are turned to Josh. That's so impressive to me. He did it last week on the throw to Diggs that was perfectly placed behind the CB and then this week on the TD to Knox that was perfectly placed ahead of the CB (and an equally amazing catch by Knox).

That's not just great anticipation and throwing to a spot; it's perfection in every aspect of a throw: anticipation, accuracy, velocity, timing...everything. He couldn't walk up and place the ball any better.

Just another new evolution to Josh's game.

• Like (+1) 5

I really don’t feel most talking heads believe what they are saying

i think I’m into FS1 cowherd and Nick Wright - doing what sells and bashing Allen right now to get Bills fans riled up 

former athletes and nfl players on nfl network and others say Josh is just Josh and he’s awesome still no matter what.

besides the two picks what other qb can do what he did on Sunday?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I listen to Joe Marino too (love his podcast) and I was surprised to hear that JA's INT % basically remained the same.  I think it's just as important to consider fumbles (total and lost) because Josh definitely seems to be fumbling more than last year.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, saundena said:

I listen to Joe Marino too (love his podcast) and I was surprised to hear that JA's INT % basically remained the same.  I think it's just as important to consider fumbles (total and lost) because Josh definitely seems to be fumbling more than last year.  

4 more turnovers than last year over 17 games. Not a big deal, but yes, 4 more. I just don’t see a major change in the way Josh is playing. I really like the risk/reward return, honestly. He threw for more yards and scored more TDs than last year along the way.

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

If he plays like Favre so be it. Just land us a couple Lombardis over the next decade.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I agree.  I live in San Diego and Tony Gwynn Jr. has a radio show here.  He always calls Josh "Brett Favre" with superior physical ability.  I'm starting to think it an apt comparison.

4 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

There needs to be a "Heartbreak Ratio" for INT's, though, because I guarantee that his percentage of red zone INT's has been drastically higher this year than last.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Not sure who said it but someone mentioned with Josh as QB the Bills have the largest margin for error in the league…. It’s so true…. Still that margin gets slimmer with better competition. Gotta hope he cuts it out even slightly if they want to advance.

We had the 3rd most turnovers in the NFL this season with 27 and were only even because our D also generated 27 of their own.

I don't think there is another team in the NFL that can win more games while losing the TO battle, sometimes by 2 or more even.

To some degree, our turnovers have take the place of our punts. We rarely punt so on the drives we don't turn the ball over, we score most of the time. Other teams turn the ball over and still punt a lot, which means it eats into their scoring possessions.

Edited by Big Turk

4 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

True, but he used to NEVER turn the ball over in the red zone. That changed this year. Those ones seem to hurt a lot worse.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Clearly, Allen is an elite franchise QB.  One of the traits that is so encouraging about him is the fact that he's always willing to face his mistakes and shortcomings, and work to correct them.  Sometimes that has meant becoming a bit more daring.  Sometimes it means reining in the gambling a bit.  I'm sure he and Dorsey are evaluating the Miami game and will make some adjustments as a result. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

It’s not the turnover per se. It’s the freaking fumbles. The INTS are largely because he’s a gambler and more often than not he’ll win. Those silly fumbles can be less though. That’s sloppy. 

3 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Lol anyone that doesn’t think he’s the best QB in the NFL - fine you think it’s Mahomes - but him and Allen are in their own tier.  Rank everyone else however you want.  

Wow. Great find. As we’ve always suspects Diggs and Allen are the only studs. 

I’d love to know how many of these INTS that they tear into Allen about are on Josh or on the receiver. 
I bet the margin on how many are on the receiver is a lot higher than people realize.

Josh isn’t Aaron Rogers and won’t throw his receivers under the bus so I guess we will never know. 
His two ints ironically where to guys who Josh of course played with before but where street free agents till December.  

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

5 hours ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

That’s right. He’s wrapped two fabulous playoff games in 80+ games of wild inconsistency. It’s why the MVP hype and forced Mahomes comparisons are so silly.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Airseven said:

That’s exactly right. He’s wrapped two fabulous playoff games in 80+ games wild inconsistency. It’s why the MVP hype and forced Mahomes comparisons are so silly.

Allen has had more then 40 total TD's in each of his last 3seasons.  Allen has also had more then 5,000 total yards in each of his last 2 seasons.  And that doesn't count his playoff games. 

And speaking of playoffs Allen has a total of 19 TD's (17 pass; 1 run & 1 reception) in 7 playoff games. Allen also has thrown for more then 300 yards in 4 of his 7 playoff games.

Only a football illiterate would argue that over the past 3 seasons Allen hasn't been a serious contender for MVP and right up there with the other leading candidates including Mahomes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Allen has had more then 40 total TD's in each of his last 3seasons.  Allen has also had more then 5,000 total yards in each of his last 2 seasons.  And that doesn't count his playoff games. 

And speaking of playoffs Allen has a total of 19 TD's (17 pass; 1 run & 1 reception) in 7 playoff games. Allen also has thrown for more then 300 yards in 4 of his 7 playoff games.

Only a football illiterate would argue that over the past 3 seasons Allen hasn't been a serious contender for MVP and right up there with the other leading candidates including Mahomes.

Cincy honestly that post is tame compared to what he normally posts about Allen. He’s kinda Nick Wright level in his hatred of Josh.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

The difference is red zone interceptions. He went most of the first four years of his career without a single red zone interception. He had FIVE this year.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Look at all the costly errors we made in that game.

1. Gifted the other team 7 points

2. Dropped a surefire TD (4 points)

3. Dropped a perfectly placed deep ball (minimum 3 points)

4. Beasely drop/no call turned INT (Dolphins 18 yard drive for 7 points) 

Those four alone that standout add up to about 21 points. Yet, because we have the largest margin for error the Bills were still able to take a 10 point lead into the 4th quarter. We would have been looking at three score blow-out final if just 2 out of the 4 major errors didn't occur. 

51 minutes ago, Airseven said:

That’s right. He’s wrapped two fabulous playoff games in 80+ games of wild inconsistency. It’s why the MVP hype and forced Mahomes comparisons are so silly.

And yet still graded out as the best QB in the NFL.  

Maybe you should watch more games. You start wondering why other QBs couldn't make a certain play because it was there to be made...then you realize it's simply because they don't have Josh Allen.

As a closet Dolphin fan you shouldn't be worried about Allen. Worry about cleaning up your own QB mess with your fragile QB that misses multiple games every year with a wide assortment of injuries.

Even while being incosistent his floor is higher than 25+ other QBs ceilings.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, DaggersEOD said:

2 hours ago, MPT said:

The difference is red zone interceptions. He went most of the first four years of his career without a single red zone interception. He had FIVE this year.

Here's an amazing irony to the red zone INTs that Josh has thrown this year... Josh Allen's very first NFL red zone interception came in his 48 career NFL game... the 2020 AFC Championship Game at Arrowhead. That's a pretty effin' amazing fact... a very long stretch of games.

4 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

I agree.  I live in San Diego and Tony Gwynn Jr. has a radio show here.  He always calls Josh "Brett Favre" with superior physical ability.  I'm starting to think it an apt comparison.

I've been calling Josh a larger version of Brett Favre for a quite a while now. I often mention in the next breath that Mahomes is a more athletic version of Aaron Rodgers and recently I've begun likening Joe Burrow to a larger version of Drew Brees... Burrow's accuracy is quite incredible IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.