Will your respect for Tom Brady change when he retires?

Just Jack

Will your respect for Tom change?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Will your respect for Tom change?

• Yes, he has accomplished a lot
    • No, my feelings will not change

55 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

He’s been great but also incredibly lucky see the tuck rule and the Pete Carroll goal line decision.

But I can’t take away what the man has accomplished going from pick 199 to being in the conversation as one of the greatest players ever.

His announcing career is going to be interesting in the times he’s been on the Manning cast he’s been a solid interview. Fox will have him in the booth calling the Super Bowl. I get the feeling hes going to be good at it. 

Aren’t all the greats lucky?  He also got unlucky, Eli escape act, the helmet catch, the dropped INT by Samual in the perfect season SB. BB not playing Butler against the Eagles. So my point is lucky and unlucky usually ends up evening out. 

57 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Meh, Miami fans feel the EXACT same way about Josh Allen. Fans will always dislike the other teams QB, and they will really dislike him if he is good and has a history of beating the snot out of their team. 

I rather have a dude that shows fire on the field over someone like Herbert who is emotionless. 

Uh. Miami barely sees Allen. And when they've seen him it's only been for 3 years. 

We haven't seen hoards of media felate Allen publicly on TV to the point that they end up on Maury Povich to find who is the baby mama. 

• Haha (+1) 1

My vote was that my feelings will not change.  I've liked and respected Brady for his entire career.  Watching him in his prime ... other than when he was owning the Bills ... was a treat.

I know I'm in the minority, here, but it's how I've always felt about the guy.

He made the NFL better.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, boyst said:

Uh. Miami barely sees Allen. And when they've seen him it's only been for 3 years. 

We haven't seen hoards of media felate Allen publicly on TV to the point that they end up on Maury Povich to find who is the baby mama. 

I’m confused by your comment. Miami has barely seen Allen? I think Allen has played 11 games against them in five seasons.

I don’t think he’s played more games against a single opponent than the dolphins.

40 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Aren’t all the greats lucky?  He also got unlucky, Eli escape act, the helmet catch, the dropped INT by Samual in the perfect season SB. BB not playing Butler against the Eagles. So my point is lucky and unlucky usually ends up evening out. 

Nope not like he has. Dude was in a division for 20 years where the owners of the other teams didn’t really even care about football. 

Somewhere in the middle of his record setting run I came to respect him and accept that he was truly great regardless of how I felt about him torturing me as a Bills fan.  That won't change when he retires.  He's got a bit of an insufferable dork vibe that makes me think he wouldn't be the most fun guy to golf or slam beers with, but I think he's probably alright in real life.  And now that he's suffered through his divorce, it humanizes him a bit more in my eyes.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yay, he's the "GOAT". He's also a completely unlikable turd, a cheater, a dirty player, and as we saw AGAIN last night, a cheap little B word

What he is doing is securing a 3rd round compensatory draft pick for Tampa Bay. He figured Bellicheat has enough of them.

Nobody can really not respect his career but the unretirement move will tarnish some, albeit minor, his reputation and legend. I kinda remember his dad saying that given the type of person he is, his career will end badly as he will never want to leave the field. He looked bad last night but that could also be how bad his s WRs are.  Go Bills. 

Brady was clearly a legend and HOF quarterback.    With that being said, Belichick was suspected to cheat in multiple ways during his time there and there was often those one or two questionable calls in a close game which would extend a drive or kill the opponents momentum at a key time.  This was not just against Buffalo but against every other team as well.     While it is true that top tier qb's get the breaks sometimes, I don't every remember, Montana, Manning, Allen or Mahomes getting nearly what Brady consistently got.     That is why I cant say that he is quite the greatest of all time.

I respect his ability and will probably remember the negatives less as time goes on, but I don't think that I will ever like him. 

Edited by dgrochester55

2 hours ago, Airseven said:

What would change? He’s the best. Now and after he retires.

I appreciate him for finally allowing the Bills to take over the AFCE!

He didn’t allow the Bills to do anything. Josh Allen would’ve took over the AFCE regardless if Brady left New England or not. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I’m confused by your comment. Miami has barely seen Allen? I think Allen has played 11 games against them in five seasons.

I don’t think he’s played more games against a single opponent than the dolphins.

unless they're looking for him they're not really seeing him outside of a few times a year.

allen isn't covered nationally like other qbs

• Like (+1) 1

You left off option 3:  I respect the hell out of him NOW, have always done so, and will CONTINUE to do so once he retires.

It's just that I HATE the guy.

It's worth pointing out that had Tom Brady played the bulk of his good years in Buffalo, having arrived here by a total fluke during one of our horrific administrations over the years....

There would now be a 500 foot tall statue of him, in gold, in the center of Niagara Square.

And WNYers would be naming their sons Thomas for generations.

Get that obelisk the hell out of there!  That's where Brady's pillar goes! 

Niagara_Square,_Buffalo,_NY.jpg

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

I feel the longer he keeps trying to play, he's slightly tarnishing those amazing achievements he had as a Patriot quarterback.  I hope he retires for good and doesn't try to push through a lone, forgettable season in a Raiders uniform.  Mediocre Todd Bowles notwithstanding, this season was a lot of writing on the wall that it's over. 

I am often saddened seeing the pictures of NFL legends who finished their careers with forgettable one year stints with teams like Johnny Unitas in a Chargers uniform or Bruce in a Redskins uniform.   

Bruce didn't bother me nearly as Much as Thurman in a Dolphins uniform, that was just gross.. 

At least Bruce popped in 4 years there, 30 sacks and the all time sack record. 

I'll feel 100% different about him, because then there will be no more Brady playoff games, or even worse, Super Bowls to endure. 

Once he retires he's just another former player on TV and I'm interested to see how it goes. Give him all the accolades you want while he focuses on talking about Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Hurts, and all the rest. 

BTW I still think he retires. He's done. Last night's game was a microcosm of their entire season: Tampa offense does very little until it becomes panic time and the other team goes into prevent. Then Brady stacks up yards and stats and the stat line ends up looking decent. 

His yards per attempt were like 30th in the NFL this season. It's all dink and dunk until the other defense goes prevent, then he hits Evans for a long TD. 

He (because it's all Brady) went 8-9 in the worst division (by far) in football. If he stays there they play the 1st place schedule and that team won't get any less old and slow. Is he really going to go somewhere else for 1 year at age 46 and start all over (but not really because it's a 1 year proposition)? 

Last night he was thanking the media and stopped himself from saying something. He said "hopefully..." IMO it was something about hopefully they will welcome him into their world. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

4 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

How many are starting to feel, or closing in on feeling that similar type of "hatred" etc for P. Mahomes that you had for Brady when with Pats? Lol

I feel zero hatred for Mahomes or KC

It's definitely a unique Brady thing for me. If it was Favre, Manning, Rodgers, or whoever that won 7 Super Bowls and never seemed to stop I would find it fun to watch. 

NE got so many lucky breaks, cheated, benefitted from obscure rules, etc. that it was horrible watching them win. Then I learn that it was all Brady. The coaching, the teammates, didn't matter. All Brady. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Awwufelloff said:

He went to 10 superbowls and won 7 of them. He literally holds every record. He will be the all time GOAT. 

It is truly hard to believe that this will ever be approached let alone eclipsed. Personal stats, sure. But 10 super bowl trips and 7 victories for a single QB? I have a hard time believing we'll ever seen anything like that again in the modern NFL. It's incredible, and I think it will only become more incredible in time when great QBs come and go over the next few decades and maybe make it to 3 or 4 and win 2-3. No one is ever winning 7 again. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, boyst said:

unless they're looking for him they're not really seeing him outside of a few times a year.

allen isn't covered nationally like other qbs

of course, they’re watching the Bills. We are their biggest rival in the division.

bills had a ton of prime Time and stand alone games this season too.

+6 playoff games and counting over the last three seasons. All of which are standalone national games.

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yay, he's the "GOAT". He's also a completely unlikable turd, a cheater, a dirty player, and as we saw AGAIN last night, a cheap little B word

This is his audition for the I've fallen and I can't get up commercials.  

Respect for the biggest whiner in the history of the NFL? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Don't make me laugh.

Zero respect for this guy, and all the tainted championships he's won. Let's not forget how classless he is too. Doesn't have the decency to shake hands with the opposing quarterback after a loss. Give me a break!

I'm a Michigan fan too. I knew all about this guy long before the bandwagoners came to the party.

He can go screw himself. Although I do welcome the idea of the Dolphins trying to sign him.

• Like (+1) 3

52 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

How many are starting to feel, or closing in on feeling that similar type of "hatred" etc for P. Mahomes that you had for Brady when with Pats? Lol

Maybe not as many considering how many people on this board continue to bemoan the fact that we could have drafted Mahomes.

Those people still exist here.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Nope not like he has. Dude was in a division for 20 years where the owners of the other teams didn’t really even care about football. 

He also played when P Manning, Big Ben, and A Rogers were in their primes.  Also the 49ers in their prime had a joke division too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.