Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

Arizona is holding out, they don’t have to make a deal today.  But they will lessen their demands before the draft and someone will get Hopkins most likely for a 3rd and 5th sort of value.

Also, I found this clip to be interesting.  Chris Brown who many believe to be a sort of mouthpiece for the Bills organization flat out saying that the Bills need to get a legitimate #2 WR.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

He might - and I’m not sure I would love the Bills to take him.  Some have raised significant concern about drops and him being a body-catcher.  Josh Allen’s fastball hitting Johnston in the chest and bouncing away could be maddening after watching too many drops by Bills’ receivers last year.

We took a chance on Allen who was a raw talent with questions regarding his throwing consistency.   Sometimes you just never know.  There are players that can be coached into better mechanics and change their career trajectory completely.   

How the Broncos' desire for more draft picks affects Jerry Jeudy's future

League sources, including some with teams that have been in contact with the Broncos, have said so far the Broncos have been resolute about getting a first- or second-round pick in any deal that involved Jeudy. The Broncos must decide by May 1 -- two days after the draft concludes -- if they are going to pick up Jeudy's fifth-year option.

13 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Beane to Jerry Juedy: “You up?”

2 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

It’s always interesting with leaks like that to try to figure out in whose interest is that information being published.

I think more often than not, it's the player's agent, as they always seem to gain out of it.

If the Cards don't want to eat any salary, the asking price is too high. It probably is anyway, even if they were prepared to eat all this year's salary.

With a new GM and HC, and a contract with 3 years on it, I feel it's now or never for Hopkins to be traded. The new regime will either decide to let him see the deal out, or trade him this year.

It's a relatively easy option to just trade him and get his numbers off the books, yet I don't see that that is as a necessity. Knowing where you are with him for the next three years, also gives certainty, of a different kind, but still lends itself to a long term plan.

30 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

yeah people in hell want ice water too

aint nobody giving them a 2nd AND a 3rd for a guy about to collect social security

Not so sure about the second sentence. There are some terrible/desperate front offices out there. Watsons contract is an example.

Just do it, nobody is going to care about the 2nd and 3rd when we win a super bowl this year. 

1 minute ago, TOboy said:

I’d do a 2, but I actually think a 3 gets this done. Would be even better if it were from next year’s draft. 

This leak is all posturing. 

Yeah I’d do the 2nd for 2023 and the 3rd for 2024. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

4 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

A 2nd and 3rd would just be the price we have to pay for the absurd resources we spent on D. Gotta do it

A 2nd and a 3rd for that contract is insane.  

Id be tempted if the price was a 3rd (singular), given they seem to be requiring the team receiving Hopkins to take on his salary. 

Anything more than that, and their GM can have fun with Hopkins making his life miserable all year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

The way people over value draft picks is embarrassing. A 2nd and a 3rd for one of the 15 best WRs in football? Nah let’s keep them. It’s nothing to piss away those picks on rotational Dlineman that give you almost nothing year after year….yeah that’s no big deal, reload and try again. But here’s a guy that can probably help you win a Super Bowl? And we are thinking that’s too much? Come on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

A 2nd and 3rd would just be the price we have to pay for the absurd resources we spent on D. Gotta do it

No we don't. We still need to add to the defense and the OL. We only have 6 picks. If we give up that for Hopkins, AND have to find a way to navigate his salary, we'd be in trouble. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, papazoid said:

ESPN analytics five thirty eight ranks gabe davis the 100th best WR in NFL......thats like a bottom end #3 wr

the have Diggs ranked 4th best overall

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nfl-receiver-rankings/

the bills clearly need a wr2

This has Jeudy (tied 24) and Hopkins (26) ranked pretty much the same. Jeudy gets open more and slightly better yac. But Hopkins has unreal hands, among the best in the league. The issue Bills receivers had last year was drops

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The way people over value draft picks is embarrassing. A 2nd and a 3rd for one of the 15 best WRs in football? Nah let’s keep them. It’s nothing to piss away those picks on rotational Dlineman that give you almost nothing year after year….yeah that’s no big deal, reload and try again. But here’s a guy that can probably help you win a Super Bowl? And we are thinking that’s too much? Come on.

Agreed, we are such a poverty franchise. Imagine being hung up on value semantics, it’s why we will never win a super bowl. 

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I wonder if when the Cardinals realize they won't get that if they will call us back in a few weeks or maybe draft night to do something. It was said we were the leader and had the best offer on the table. Just because it's not done now, doesn't mean it won't be a month from now

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Just do it, nobody is going to care about the 2nd and 3rd when we win a super bowl this year. 

Yeah I’d do the 2nd for 2023 and the 3rd for 2024. 

Why would we give up more for Hopkins now than the Cardinals did 4 years ago?  Hard pass if that’s what they want.  Go get Jeudy for the same price or trade up in the draft to get your WR at a controlled cost. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1

Just now, TheWeatherMan said:

Why would we give up more for Hopkins now than the Cardinals did 4 years ago?  Hard pass if that’s what they want.  Go get Jeudy for the same price or trade up in the draft to get your WR at a controlled cost. 

Because we need this. We need another weapon for Allen and we have a 2 year window before we have to retool. We don’t have time to hope we hit on a WR in the draft that can give you want Hopkins can. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Agreed, we are such a poverty franchise. Imagine being hung up on value semantics, it’s why we will never win a super bowl. 

There are teams where you need those extra picks and you don’t move them for a Vet at an advanced age. There are also teams where you don’t have a ton of open roster spots annyway and it’s not really even sensible to draft 6+ guys. We are a player or two away from winning the Super Bowl. Do it. Then the next offseason, go full send on getting younger. Win 1. You have to get 1. You can’t have Josh be the Kelly 2.0 and never even finish one. Get a championship then you buy at least 5 years here. That sounds dumb but it’s true. You win 1 and it probably buys both Beane and McDermott at least 5 free years here. It probably gives your franchise 20 in the eyes of fans.

• Agree 1