Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

D Hop last 2 years - 10 games and 9 games.  Last year he averaged 79.7 ypg, which is just a bit better than his career average of 77.9 or his Zona average of 77 (but down a bit from 78.2 in HOU)

The question comes down to the injury history etc. 

In 2021, he was bothered by a series of nagging injuries - ribs, hamstring, and then finally an MCL tear.

Last season, he missed the first 6 games because he was suspended for PED use, then was injured again and did not play in the last 2 games due to a "grade 1 knee sprain" (grade 1 means no tearing) - whether he could have gone if the games meant something, we won't know.

But, he'll also be 32, an age when the length of the football season takes its toll and injuries start to mount.

If anyone is interested, Draft Sharks gives his injury history, and calculates his chance of an injury at 58% for next season, with the projection he'll miss 3 games.

https://www.draftsharks.com/fantasy/injury-history/deandre-hopkins/6679

The new guy a lot of folks are enthusiastic about has recurring hammy problems, btw

Yep.. serious injury and PED suspension … probably why the market is acting cautiously about acquiring him 

2 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I blame Josh for not having the #1 seed. Couldn't throw a ball to a WIDE OPEN McKenzie in the Miami game, the fumble in the end zone against Minny and the stupid int's in the red zone. I blame Dorsey for not forcing Josh to use the short game and take what was available. I blame Frazier for not playing more press. I blame injuries, one heck of a challenging year inside and outside of football. 

There's a lot of blame to go around, but everyone just dumps on Davis. Did he drop passes he should have caught? Sure. But it wasn't all his fault for where we ended.

Gabe literally disappeared in about 9 of 16 games. I dont understand how anyone is missing this. He made Josh and Diggs job infintely harder, basically playing a half season 10 v 11

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, mathja said:

How much of the contract would the Cardinals eat? Could they lower the cap hit for the bills significantly? I would think doing that is worth a higher pick. They would be accommodating the bills and their cap situation.

I don't think the Cardinals are gonna eat anything on his salary.  If I'm doing the math correctly, they're going to eat $22.6M of amortized bonuses of various sorts accelerating onto this year's cap with a trade. 

They do have $21.4M cap space, but that would gobble down almost all of it.

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

64% catch rate to 51%
5% drop rate to 9%

That’s cherry picking stats. Davis was used primarily on deep routes last year. If you had selected YPC and TD’s it looks very different. 

Don’t get me wrong, Jeudy runs good routes and would be excellent in this offense, but it’s not a big enough upgrade to justify giving up a 1st. Especially when you need to give him a big contract next season. 

I’d rather take DHop and keep the 1st. 

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Some prophet you are. You said 114 before. This is like those fellas who read the Book of Revelation and set a date for the end of the world. When it doesn't happen, they recalculate.

Nah, that wasn’t me.  

Are you implying that I can’t predict the future?!  Rude 

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Disagree about any back sliding my friend. We will again be in the conversation for SB

Yes we are still in the conversation for a SB.  We are still contenders.  

Like I said - ODDS. 

I’m not dangling next year’s first.   Unless I was getting back an elite WR going in to their prime.   

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Who don’t make the decisions on player acquisition 

Thank goodness! 

Owners write checks for football people, or at least the good ones do. 

EDIT: I think we can get to 200 pages by the end of this weekend!!!  😋

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Gabe literally disappeared in about 9 of 16 games. I dont understand how anyone is missing this. He made Josh and Diggs job infintely harder, basically playing a half season 10 v 11

This is what I am talking about. Everyone blames Davis. What about the oline that couldn't block, a OC that couldn't adjust to what was being given, a running game that was lacking, Josh's mistakes and bad throws. Everyone made Allen and Diggs jobs harder.

It wasn't one player (Davis). But if you guys just want to dump on Davis because it's the cool thing and you want Hopkins, have at it. But unless the oline, call plays and running game improve it won't matter much. We were 13-3 in the regular season and 2 of the losses were on Josh. So, Davis cost us 1 game (Jets). NOBODY showed up for the Ciny game. Great, let's spend a 2, 3 and Cap space. Why not. 😔

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

9 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

This is what I am talking about. Everyone blames Davis. What about the oline that couldn't block, a OC that couldn't adjust to what was being given, a running game that was lacking, Josh's mistakes and bad throws. Everyone made Allen and Diggs jobs harder.

It wasn't one player (Davis). But if you guys just want to dump on Davis because it's the cool thing and you want Hopkins, have at it. But unless the oline, call plays and running game improve it won't matter much. We were 13-3 in the regular season and 2 of the losses were on Josh. So, Davis cost us 1 game (Jets). NOBODY showed up for the Ciny game. Great, let's spend a 2, 3 and Cap space. Why not. 😔

Josh actually lost the Jets game too. Von got a strip sack that should have ended it and Josh threw another INT that led to the Jets game winning FG.  I think the INT was the very next play after the sack.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

We need to upgrade from Davis either way.  A WR who needs a 30yd route worth of space to have a chance at getting open is not doing an OL or anyone else favors.  He's a 1 trick pony. We've worked on the OL, we'll continue to do that.  Josh had a weird year Im not worried about repeating.  OC either gets better or leaves, but a WR with 1 route certainly isnt making his job easier. 

Gabes performance made all the others you listed have harder jobs.  I dont hate the guy, but i HATEEEEEE him as a #2.  The offense looked amazing w/ the quick hitters, then you have a #2 that can only run the deep ball. Its not a fit. How are we supposed to run a quick hit offense w/ a #2 WR that catches under 50 balls a year

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

Josh actually lost the Jets game too. Von got a strip sack that should have ended it and Josh threw another INT that led to the Jets game winning FG.  I think the INT was the very next play after the sack.

I was trying to be fair, but I believe you're correct. 🤫

2 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

We need to upgrade from Davis either way.  A WR who needs a 30yd route worth of space to have a chance at getting open is not doing an OL or anyone else favors.  He's a 1 trick pony. We've worked on the OL, we'll continue to do that.  Josh had a weird year Im not worried about repeating.  OC either gets better or leaves, but a WR with 1 route certainly isnt making his job easier. 

Gabes performance made all the others you listed have harder jobs.  I dont hate the guy, but i HATEEEEEE him as a #2.  The offense looked amazing w/ the quick hitters, then you have a #2 that can only run the deep ball. Its not a fit. How are we supposed to run a quick hit offense w/ a #2 WR that catches under 50 balls a year

I said this earlier,  I'm not against getting a #2 wr. I'm against the cost of Hopkins. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On the Josh side of things, I stand by a concussion during that GB game also.  That play his head snapped back, and thats literally when the weird INTs started.  Weve never seen him make mistakes consistently like that.  The UCL injury certainly didnt help from there.  If im wrong, then Josh starting throeing unforced errors at an astronomical rate, and if it continues we have bigger problems than any coach coordinator gm or player can solve.

We g2 solve the problems we can, weve upgraded from Saffold, and possibly Bates.  I think we take a swipe at RT in the draft.

Dorsey has to make a jump year 2 or we move on. Not much we can do to "upgrade" at this point

Lets keep Josh healthy, get back to that quick hit offense. 

Gabes drops sucked, no doubt.  Even if he had 0 drops last year, 55 catches is not getting it done as a #2

Ideal scenario, you bring in another stud outside WR, move Diggs into slot, and we've upgraded 2 positions at once.  We can afford to let Gabe be a deep threat when our other 2 WR's are workhorses moving the chains. Plus hes drawing a weaker corner now.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Maybe it was Josh's pissball that makes it harder to catch. deep short inside outside
He doesn't take any velocity off even in the rain 🤩

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

On the Josh side of things, I stand by a concussion during that GB game also.  That play his head snapped back, and thats literally when the weird INTs started.  Weve never seen him make mistakes consistently like that.  The UCL injury certainly didnt help from there.  If im wrong, then Josh starting throeing unforced errors at an astronomical rate, and if it continues we have bigger problems than any coach coordinator gm or player can solve.

We g2 solve the problems we can, weve upgraded from Saffold, and possibly Bates.  I think we take a swipe at RT in the draft.

Dorsey has to make a jump year 2 or we move on. Not much we can do to "upgrade" at this point

Lets keep Josh healthy, get back to that quick hit offense. 

Gabes drops sucked, no doubt.  Even if he had 0 drops last year, 55 catches is not getting it done as a #2

Ideal scenario, you bring in another stud outside WR, move Diggs into slot, and we've upgraded 2 positions at once.  We can afford to let Gabe be a deep threat when our other 2 WR's are workhorses moving the chains. Plus hes drawing a weaker corner now.

Ideal, you find a very good slot and keep Diggs/Davis in their current roles.

We should already be improved with: Harty, Shakir (banking on growth), and Sherfield Vs LY group.

But, we should still be looking to add a Rd 1 or 2 Wr.  Shakir is no sure thing, Harty/Sherf are part timer role guys and Gabe is on final season of his deal.

Been saying 50+ pages ago that Dhop isn't worth the cost (cap $s).  And we need incremental improvement at WR, and most impactful improvement will come from getting better players on the OL (specifically right side of OL).

I'd put the investment into OL and that solves alot of problems at once.  Dhop is not the 1 piece to make this team instant Sb favorites again.  Get better in the trenches.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

that goes against Fowler on ESPN saying teams expect a deal in the near future

That's cherry picking and hearing what you want to hear.

He said he expects it in the near future BUT Arizona has to come down from their price tag to do it.

Which means it won't happen in the near future if they refuse to. Everything since yesterday has pointed to this. They want a 2nd plus more and they don't want to pay any more on the deal than they're already on the hook for.

Currently, no team in the league is willing to do that. Surely us included. So until that happens, if it happens - we won't be making a move for him.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, TOboy said:

That’s cherry picking stats. Davis was used primarily on deep routes last year. If you had selected YPC and TD’s it looks very different. 

Don’t get me wrong, Jeudy runs good routes and would be excellent in this offense, but it’s not a big enough upgrade to justify giving up a 1st. Especially when you need to give him a big contract next season. 

I’d rather take DHop and keep the 1st. 

Do we actually have statistical proof that Davis’ low catch rate was due to long balls? That sounds like a TBD group think stat to me. 

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Do we actually have statistical proof that Davis’ low catch rate was due to long balls? That sounds like a TBD group think stat to me. 

Did you actually watch the Bills this year?

10 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

There was a number of off target throws helping make this stat lower then Davis deserves credit for IMO.   

36 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Davis had a bad year and proved we can’t go into next season with him as our #2.  Do you have faith in this staff drafting a player that can contribute right away, I sure the ***** don’t. We gotta bring in vets because our draft picks ain’t getting the job done. I think thats a big problem, our young players just don’t contribute and their development is way too long.  I think a lot of that has a lot to do with McD and him being so fearful of mistakes. Some players have shown promise but McD sticks with the vet even when they are underperforming. 

19 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Or this weekend since GM’s will be gathered together at Owner’s meanings and ESPN mentioned teams expect a deal in the near future

Again - he said he expects it but only if Arizona drops their price. That's no guarantee.

Article from Bleacher Report yesterday says they're waiting for leverage, which logic would say waiting until after teams have missed out on WR's in the Draft and are more desperate.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10069916-report-cardinals-broncos-waiting-for-leverage-in-deandre-hopkins-jerry-jeudy-trade

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

As I am not a fan of 400 page threads, I am hoping for sooner.

Certainly hoping for sooner. But as I said in the post above, it seems like they're currently sticking to their guns and hoping to get more leverage. Which to me will only come after WR needy teams miss their targets in the Draft.