Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

The biggest downside - and it's not really that big, but annoying - is that we'll get back to the front of the hype train if this happens.

I was enjoying a couple of months of thinking we'd be more "below the radar" in '23.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, papazoid said:

seems these guys always need a deadline of some sort

guessing this one is draft day

that puts 300 pages in range

That's a whole lotta Valium going around here

2 minutes ago, Success said:

The biggest downside - and it's not really that big, but annoying - is that we'll get back to the front of the hype train if this happens.

I was enjoying a couple of months of thinking we'd be more "below the radar" in '23.

The radar didn't matter. The injuries, however, made all the difference. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Behindenemylines said:

Wait.  What….  Santa?   

It's just a joke. Fella was skeptical about the fella with inside information that was offering a hopeful assessment (assuming you want to trade for Hopkins.) If I have to explain it to you, it isn't funny.

15 minutes ago, Success said:

We still don't have a MLB or RT

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, BananaB said:

Go back and watch the first Miami game and tell me Kaiir did when put to that challenge. 

McD also liked what Nate Peterman showed in practice, so I’m sorry if I don’t fully trust judging a player by earning it in practice. The guys that have stepped in and showed potential on Sunday have usually taken a back seat to veterans when they returned from injury. And the CB rotation at the end of last season was total bull#### and proof MCD loves his vets. 

Not sure what you want me to see from the first game? Elam didn't do anything special and barely lined up against Hill...But if you want to go back 5 years to complain, to say you don't trust them I'm not sure what to tell you.

8 minutes ago, TOboy said:

Well, we have a RT, he just underperformed last year (agree we could definitely upgrade in the draft).

MLB is a bare AF. 

if Zach Cunningham is still available in a few weeks, he’d be a decent plug and play option

I’d like Beane to go into the draft not feeling pressure to pick a certain position like he did with CB last year

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Agree 3

What we should be doing is looking to deal Gabe Davis if we are bringing in Hopkins.

That would clearly indicate that we will be moving on from him, and there won't be a lot of targets to go around after Dhop and Diggs...so package him if that's what it takes.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

What we should be doing is looking to deal Gabe Davis if we are bringing in Hopkins.

That would clearly indicate that we will be moving on from him, and there won't be a lot of targets to go around after Dhop and Diggs...so package him if that's what it takes.

I’d rather keep Gabe. As WR3 filling in for Diggs or Dhop he’s a solid option. I’d also like to see him used in the slot perodically…

that said, if the Giants offer us a 2 for him then trade him

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

16 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I just Hope Beane is willing to compromise slightly. For example, if they ask for a 3rd and we’ve offered a 4th….getting him just so KC doesn’t is worth it

Reports are they're asking for a 2nd plus more compensation. So a 3rd would be a compromise even from Arizona's end.

In the end, I don't think it's the picks stopping the deal. I think it's Arizona wanting to do the deal as a full salary dump. If that's the case, I don't see us offering any more than a 4th, if we're even interested in taking on that contract in full at all.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

if Zach Cunningham is still available in a few weeks, he’d be a decent plug and play option

This would be a great add, at this point.

I hate the idea of drafting a MLB round 1.  But there's maybe 3 reliable/starting quality year 1 guys...and it's risk assuming they all reach our pick in 2nd round.

As of now, I think it's highly likely we draft (in no particular order): OT, DT, MLB, TE, WR and CB.

This is a deep class at: TE, CB, and DE .  I can't see Beane passing at least TE and CB.  Benford then moves to S, and we can be more multiple with 2-TE sets.  DE late could be our rotational 4th guy.

Getting a stop gap Mlb before the draft frees up BPA even more...Zach might be the last option

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I mean, i'd be fine with that deal. I just don't think Arizona would give us Hopkins for moving up 7 picks and picking up a conditional late rounder in 2024. That's a FAR cry from what everyone is reporting they're asking for.

maybe, but as that twitter account pointed out…it’s the optics of a 1st round pick

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

maybe, but as that twitter account pointed out…it’s the optics of a 1st round pick

Another poster discussed earlier, but do we need to be under the cap at the moment we hypothetically acquire Hopkins?  For example, he puts us over the cap at the moment he is acquired (prior to him potentially restructuring his contract).

If so, we have some options but mostly limited to restructuring perhaps Tre or Dion.  Which is probably the "break glass" maneuver for Beane

42 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

We still don't have a MLB or RT

I think people have some notion that championship teams are perfect, with true-blue starters & pro bowlers at every position.

Even if the season started today - we'd have capable players at those positions. But, of course, we still have the draft ahead of us to fill any perceived holes.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Another poster discussed earlier, but do we need to be under the cap at the moment we hypothetically acquire Hopkins?  For example, he puts us over the cap at the moment he is acquired (prior to him potentially restructuring his contract).

If so, we have some options but mostly limited to restructuring perhaps Tre or Dion.  Which is probably the "break glass" maneuver for Beane

I felt like a Tre restructure was the most obvious option going into this offseason. But they haven't done it. Looking into it, it appears we have an out in his contract next offseason if we wanted. My guess is that they don't want to play with future years in his deal in the event that he doesn't return to form or even regresses further and they want to exercise that option.

They also restructured his deal already on 12/1/22. So they may have already done all that they figured they could do a few months ago.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tredavious-white-21768/

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

I honestly don’t know, would make sense that he would put us over the cap at moment he is acquired…& so we’d have to free up 9-10 in space prior. That could basically be done immediately and may not even be reported until after the fact. Extending DaQuan would also be nice

Just now, Success said:

I think people have some notion that championship teams are perfect, with true-blue starters & pro bowlers at every position.

Even if the season started today - we'd have capable players at those positions. But, of course, we still have the draft ahead of us to fill any perceived holes.

Very little confidence at MLB right now, especially for a team with SB aspirations.

RT, I have hope Spencer Brown improves going into year 3.  Usually the bigger jump for us, year 2 to 3, and he's getting his QST full NFL offseason (without a surgery).  But hope we add at the position in draft.

As mentioned earlier, I'm not keen to MLB round 1.  Round 2, sure...but it's a risk when there's maybe 3 guys who could start immediately

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I felt like a Tre restructure was the most obvious option going into this offseason. But they haven't done it. Looking into it, it appears we have an out in his contract next offseason if we wanted. My guess is that they don't want to play with future years in his deal in the event that he doesn't return to form or even regresses further and they want to exercise that option.

Agree.  Beane said he's not against more restructures, but gave the hint he doesn't want to do anymore.

By my math:

1. Currently: Maybe we are 9-10m under cap.  (Draft likely eats $2m, but this would hypothetically happen after a Hop trade).

2. Tre restructure: saves approx $5.7m

3. Dion restructure: saves approx $6m.  But Beane might be more reluctant, given Dion has some potential void years in his deal already.

4. Hopkins: 2023 cap hit is currently $30m, but we'd be on the hook for approx $19m (assuming Cards do NOT retain anything more than required).

So in summary:

1. Immediate Cost=$19m

2. Cap status: let's sat $10m under, so we'd need to clear $9-10m

3. Needed savings: we'd HAVE to restructure both Tre and Dion.  OR Ed is dealt, OR Cards retain more of the cap hit (likely need them to keep at least $5m more...so we only have to restructure Tre).

This is why this deal could be VERY VERY complex to get negotiated, due to cap issues.  And would require us to kick alot of cap to future years.