Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

5 minutes ago, papazoid said:

Allen / diggs / von combined cap hit for 2023 is $40 mil

Allen / diggs / von combined cap hit for 2024 is $100 mil

Not as bad as you think.  Cap it supposed to go up another 30M next year. With that kind of cap growth - this becomes much less of an issue.  Those players will continue to restructure (unless age gets in the way - Von) - and lower the current cap hit - and push it forward into 2025+ where the cap is even BIGGER.  

Pushing forward cap hits is a terrible idea when the cap is static.  But when it's going up 10-15%/year - this is the game you play.

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Financially, protesting

Are you gonna stop buying bills, jerseys or something?

I won’t buy tickets, etc. Just like did with Ralph after some time. But it doesn’t matter, there will always be a sucker fan that replaces. Owning the Bills is the easiest business on Earth. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills
  • Eyeroll 2

16 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I will always be an active cyber fan, what I mean by lurking is financially protesting. 

I’ve never considered Lurking to mean Financially protesting, but ok. 

this site is about conversation and opinions within the Bills fan base. Be a fan or not but silly statements of financial protests, leavingTBD, never watching another game, should just be checked at the door. Might as well say you’ll now protest tennis if the Bills don’t win a Super Bowl because Pegulas daughter is a pro tennis player. Same rationale I’d silliness

10 minutes ago, JimBob2232 said:

Not as bad as you think.  Cap it supposed to go up another 30M next year. With that kind of cap growth - this becomes much less of an issue.  Those players will continue to restructure (unless age gets in the way - Von) - and lower the current cap hit - and push it forward into 2025+ where the cap is even BIGGER.  

Pushing forward cap hits is a terrible idea when the cap is static.  But when it's going up 10-15%/year - this is the game you play.

everything you're saying is true....let me try to make my point a different way

the salary cap is going up $30 mil for all teams.....but the bills have already pushed more dollars into the future than our main opponents. they will be in much better position to improve their roster.

spotrac estimated cap space for 2024:

Bills     minus $17 mil (thats over the the cap already)

KC      plus $62 (under)

Cincy  plus $109 (under)

this is just a generalization....we can quibble about who is or isnt in those cap totals

• Like (+1) 2

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm actually good with a single "all in" season. Maybe it works out for us like the Rams, where it did not work out for the Eagles. Either way, SB or bust. Give Josh a set of weapons like Burrow has, draft a couple of promising OL'men in Rounds 1-4, and let's throw down. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

There is always a simp fan willing to eat a plate of poo. Easiest business in the world. 

stop looking in the mirror at yourself. why are you calling yourself names like that and sharing what you eat for breakfast?

you're no longer entertaining. all the whining in the near 100 posts you have contributed to this thread is, well, got kind of boring.

7dbde6ca4b7d29916fe68af9127ee1ba.gif

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, papazoid said:

everything you're saying is true....let me try to make my point a different way

the salary cap is going up $30 mil for all teams.....but the bills have already pushed more dollars into the future than our main opponents. they will be in much better position to improve their roster.

spotrac estimated cap space for 2024:

Bills     minus $17 mil (thats over the the cap already)

KC      plus $62 (under)

Cincy  plus $109 (under)

this is just a generalization....we can quibble about who is or isnt in those cap totals

This is what I’ve been saying. And it’s not that I am against signing Miller or Hopkins. But I thought we had the opportunity to have a light reset last year. That would have provided us the ability to stabilize the roster for the next 2-3 years.

But the longer you kick the can down the road the more the arrow moves from light reset to hard reset and you become the Rams. 

I am not against signing Hopkins. But I also know what that means. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

No one:

The internet:  Oh my God NO.  NO WAY.  We are NOT going to let this one idiot have a ridiculous opinion about something.  NO WAY.  We are going to collectively organize and research and build arguments and BEAT IT OUT OF HIM until he cries “uncle” and sees the error of his ways.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

This is what I’ve been saying. And it’s not that I am against signing Miller or Hopkins. But I thought we had the opportunity to have a light reset last year. That would have provided us the ability to stabilize the roster for the next 2-3 years.

But the longer you kick the can down the road the more the arrow moves from light reset to hard reset and you become the Rams. 

I am not against signing Hopkins. But I also know what that means. 

Yes, but I also don’t want to be stuck in playoff limbo, where we are too successful to land another solid piece to win a super bowl. I’m ok being in the rams seat if it means we win a super bowl. We have to get the monkey off our backs. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, papazoid said:

would i take the rams model of winning the super bowl then totally blowing it up a couple years later....hell yea, but there is no guarantee..... how painful is it now to be a rams fan in 2023

Or, worse, a fan of a 2023 Rams team that hadn't won the Super Bowl in 2022.

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Yes, but I also don’t want to be stuck in playoff limbo, where we are too successful to land another solid piece to win a super bowl. I’m ok being in the rams seat if it means we win a super bowl. We have to get the monkey off our backs. 

I really hate walking around with a monkey on my back. For one thing, it makes putting a shirt on a constant onerous burden. And that doesn't even begin to consider the monkey's various hygienic habits or lack thereof. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, papazoid said:

Allen / diggs / von combined cap hit for 2023 is $40 mil

Allen / diggs / von combined cap hit for 2024 is $100 mil

this is pretty strong evidence that beane is going for it now

bills are currently right up against the salary cap and have already mortgaged part of our future years

we currently have somewhere in the range of  $5-10 mil in avail cap space 

that forces beane to make several small incremental upgrades with proven veterans on short term (1 yr) low salary ($2mil) deals

when a superstar high cap player like hopkins is added....it likely means something might need to exit...like say an ed oliver

so i reject the notion the bills aren't going for it.....any more going for it would be reckless

would i take the rams model of winning the super bowl then totally blowing it up a couple years later....hell yea, but there is no guarantee..... how painful is it now to be a rams fan in 2023

Yep, It is a two year window with some of the core guys. This is the off season to add what you believe could be the finishing touches, then reset/retool in 2025, which unlike the Rams we have a top 3 QB, and a lot more future picks. that will make it easier to do.

Me personally, if it meant signing Campbell to a 1 year deal and cutting Ed to save 10.5 million ( assuming no team takes his 10.5 million contract) to fit Hopkins, then you do it. This opens up the draft the next two years to get a younger DT via the draft. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, finn said:

Or, worse, a fan of a 2023 Rams team that hadn't won the Super Bowl in 2022.

At some point we have to take a swing for the fence. If we don’t get it, oh well, at least it won’t be for a lack of not trying. 
Hopkins is the best asset available to help in areas that need the most help and has the best immediate return value. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I really hate walking around with a monkey on my back. For one thing, it makes putting a shirt on a constant onerous burden. And that doesn't even begin to consider the monkey's various hygienic habits or lack thereof. 

It’s Ralph’s monkey, we kind of just took it on hoping one day it would grow up to be a successful monkey and leave to help raise a family on its own. But no, it’s firmly digging it’s claws into our backs and slowly ripping away the flesh. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

It’s Ralph’s monkey, we kind of just took it on hoping one day it would grow up to be a successful monkey and leave to help raise a family on its own. But no, it’s firmly digging it’s claws into our backs and slowly ripping away the flesh. 

It is eating the bugs in my hair though. So there’s that. 

• Haha (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

No one:

The internet:  Oh my God NO.  NO WAY.  We are NOT going to let this one idiot have a ridiculous opinion about something.  NO WAY.  We are going to collectively organize and research and build arguments and BEAT IT OUT OF HIM until he cries “uncle” and sees the error of his ways.

Aaaaaaand, in the end, opinions on both sides remain the same. :lol: :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Lost said:

What if we pay 18 mil for Hopkins then Quentin Johnson would have fallen right into our lap in the draft?   

Johnson is a stiff. He won't gain consistent separation in the NFL. People only like him because he's the only receiver in this draft with "prototypical" size.

Edited by TheBeaneBandit
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Lost said:

What if we pay 18 mil for Hopkins then Quentin Johnson would have fallen right into our lap in the draft?   

Quentin Johnston is not making it to #27. 

18 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

It's when it insists on playing that damn accordion at three in the morning that I really get annoyed.

image.png.65a6b13a0d80cca836b79bcb7dac4d43.png

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I won’t buy tickets, etc. Just like did with Ralph after some time. But it doesn’t matter, there will always be a sucker fan that replaces. Owning the Bills is the easiest business on Earth. 

Except for that initial 1.4billion entry fee

10 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Johnson is a stiff. He won't gain consistent separation in the NFL. People only like him because he's the only receiver in this draft with "prototypical" size.

He plays small for his size too.  I don’t like how he catches the ball either using his body a lot.  

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Quentin Johnston is not making it to #27. 

He might - and I’m not sure I would love the Bills to take him.  Some have raised significant concern about drops and him being a body-catcher.  Josh Allen’s fastball hitting Johnston in the chest and bouncing away could be maddening after watching too many drops by Bills’ receivers last year.

• Agree 3