Rumor: McDaniel could be fired if Fins lose to the Jets and miss playoffs

Greg S

1 hour ago, arcane said:

I don't think this would be smart, I think McDaniel is a good coach. I think he outcoached our staff (a very good staff) in both games. 

Per the bold, I’d be interested in how you quantify that. Especially in the first game when we dominated them. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, appoo said:

McDaniel would be a HC in approximately 10 minutes after getting fired.

would be monumentally stupid

I too think firing him would be foolish but I'm not sure about the first part. His personality is not going to be for every owner. The "I'm the smartest guy in the room and you lot are just dumb *****" works with some, but with others it does not wash. His mentor Kyle Shanahan has some of that in him and when the Pegulas interviewed him here in 2015 (before hiring Rex) he went down extremely badly (I was told verbatim "they hated him") to the extent that even though he was the hottest coordinator in football in 2016 the Bills never even considered him in the hiring round of 2017 that eventually brought us McDermott. I think he'd get a second shot at some point, no question. But he isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

Is that going to be the Payton/Brady move?

Something massive like that is the only possible chance McDaniel is fired. Unless of course there’s something weird behind the scenes regarding medical protocol issues.

Dolphins made strides this year and he deserves credit. They may have the deepest roster in the division. Just need to get the QB situation right.

This would be very stupid because 1) Is it McDaniel's fault he's down to Skylar Thompson at QB?  2) This is the big one-after the Flores lawsuit firing another minority head coach after one season would look very bad & sending the minority GM out the door with him even worse.  If they then replace McDaniel with a white guy they would get destroyed in the media.  In fact there might even be protests outside the Dolphins stadium.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

This would be very stupid because 1) Is it McDaniel's fault he's down to Skylar Thompson at QB?  2) This is the big one-after the Flores lawsuit firing another minority head coach after one season would look very bad & sending the minority GM out the door with him even worse.  If they then replace McDaniel with a white guy they would get destroyed in the media.  In fact there might even be protests outside the Dolphins stadium.  

Wait, what?  McDaniel is the whitest white guy to ever white.  

• Haha (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, appoo said:

They get to 8-3 and then lose to 

A) the best team in the NFC right now, possibly the NFL, in the Niners away

B) a more talented, though to this point underperforming, Chargers

C) arguably outplayed, but lost to the Bills away 

D) packers in a game where Tua played in the 2nd half with a concussion without anyone realizing it, and having basically the worst half of his career likely due to the concussion 

E) The pats without a QB

Yes they have a losing streak, but this isn’t choking. They’re losing to teams that are more talented or when they didn’t have a healthy Tua. 

If going 0-4 against the 49ers,chargers,bills, and packers is a foregone conclusion that can be excused as easily after the fact as you are making it sound,  you need to fire your coach.  If they weren’t playing a third place schedule,  that would’ve added even more matchups against playoff caliber teams that they would’ve lost if they are expected to lose games like that.

Also, they got lucky running into quite a few very injured teams themselves so their injury excuse isn’t as strong as you think imo.  First bills matchup and the ravens game were definite losses for them if we are normalizing team’s injury situations. Bengals game tua was struggling just as much or more so than bridgewater did in the second half.  I’d give them the Vikings win and pats win but take away the bills and ravens win and they’d be right back where they started.  Tua would’ve absolutely struggled against the jets 

it’s a monumental collapse finishing 0-6 when you need just one more win to make the playoffs 

id assume most of the firing talk is based on them wanting their Sean Payton and Brady plan again though and not so much them thinking McDaniel is an bad coach.

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

He's bi-racial, his father is black.  The 49ers received extra draft choices when McDaniel was hired by the Dolphins. 

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Ehh Payton and Brady with Hill and Waddle would be pretty scary. Tua almost beat us twice throwing slants and lobs with more hang time than punts. A competent QB would do well with those weapons

Despite his brief resurgence the other day, overall the only club left in Brady's bag is the 2 minute drill, which I admit he is still amazing at. Beyond that, he's deteriorating physically and it shows if you've been watching their games this year. And it's going to be yet another year later.  I'll take another wasted year for the Phins any day, I stand by it. He is toast in the pocket and against quality defenses.

Edited by 34-78-83

I'm not a McDaniel fan, but I have to admit that I think he has done a pretty good job with the Miami team this year.  The recent losing streak shouldn't be cause to fire him.  They have lost several close games against good opponents, with a concussed QB.  I would only hope that they DO fire him so that the dysfunction in South Florida can continue, rather than the Dolphins closing the gap on the Bills.  I'm not that concerend about a Brady/Payton thing.  Brady is going to be what, 46?  He's still better than some QBs, but I no longer see him as a huge threat.  I'm also not too concerned about Payton.  Yes, he's a proven successful NFL head coach, but it's not like they were in the SB every year.  He had a HOF QB in Drew Brees and a good roster.  How much success did he have without Brees, or without Brees in his prime?

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

They must think they are getting the Payton and Brady combo they tried to get last year and lost a draft pick over

God I can only hope this idiotic dream of theirs is fulfilled.

So Payton won one Super Bowl with a great Quarterback and suddenly he is viewed as the next Vince Lombardi, yeah whatever.  Brady aint gonna get any younger next year, I would love it if the signed him and for a lot of $.  Brady should have retired after his Super Bowl with Tampa.  

Huge mistake to fire McDaniels even though I think he is bizarre and totally botched the concussion non-sense.  McDaniels is half AA and after firing Flores under highly dubious conditions, you are going to replace him with Payton?  

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I too think firing him would be foolish but I'm not sure about the first part. His personality is not going to be for every owner. The "I'm the smartest guy in the room and you lot are just dumb *****" works with some, but with others it does not wash. His mentor Kyle Shanahan has some of that in him and when the Pegulas interviewed him here in 2015 (before hiring Rex) he went down extremely badly (I was told verbatim "they hated him") to the extent that even though he was the hottest coordinator in football in 2016 the Bills never even considered him in the hiring round of 2017 that eventually brought us McDermott. I think he'd get a second shot at some point, no question. But he isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. 

Why do you hate McDaniel?

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Despite his brief resurgence the other day, overall the only club left in Brady's bag is the 2 minute drill, which I admit he is still amazing at. Beyond that, he's deteriorating physically and it shows if you've been watching their games this year. And it's going to be yet another year later.  I'll take another wasted year for the Phins any day, I stand by it. He is toast in the pocket and against quality defenses.

I couldn't believe the Tampa-Panther game.  My god, do the Panther have the most inept cornerbacks in the NFL.  Repeatedly letting Mike Evans beat you was comical.   Brady was under no pressure on those throws, almost any NFL QB could have hit the TD passes to Evans.  Who is the Carolina DC and do they have a thing called a safety on their roster?

27 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

No he isnt, he is half AA.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, appoo said:

They get to 8-3 and then lose to 

A) the best team in the NFC right now, possibly the NFL, in the Niners away

B) a more talented, though to this point underperforming, Chargers

C) arguably outplayed, but lost to the Bills away 

D) packers in a game where Tua played in the 2nd half with a concussion without anyone realizing it, and having basically the worst half of his career likely due to the concussion 

E) The pats without a QB

Yes they have a losing streak, but this isn’t choking. They’re losing to teams that are more talented or when they didn’t have a healthy Tua. 

Would you mind elaborating on the outplayed the Bills? 

Allen threw for more yards and tds than tua and had a higher rating.

The Bills had more total yards and first downs.

TOP was separated by 14 seconds.

The Bills won 3 of the 4 quarter score wise.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, H2o said:

This was my thought exactly. Here come Sean Payton and Tom Brady to South Beach. 

No way.  They were already caught tampering to make this happen.  No way the league just lets that happen one year later.  If I’m New Orleans I ask a team for two firsts and settle for a first and a second to get Payton.  If it’s Miami I ask for 14 firsts and 8 seconds and settle for 14 firsts 7 seconds a third and a fifth.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, arcane said:

I don't think this would be smart, I think McDaniel is a good coach. I think he outcoached our staff (a very good staff) in both games. 

No! They all need to be fired! It is for the greater  good and betterment of our team, “The Buffalo Bills!” What are ya a dolphins fan or something…, 

Edited by Don Otreply

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Can you explain why you think he outcoached our staff in the first meeting?

The first one is a bit more hand-waivy than the second game, which I think was clear from an Xs and Os standpoint that the Bills won because josh allen wanted them to badly enough and ONLY for that reason. But their team was ready to play us in week 3, executed better than we did. Yes we walked up and down the field, but their red zone D stymied our red zone O in the second half. If the Bills replaced josh allen with a Tua level QB, they would lose worse in game 3 than they did, and would have lost handily a couple weeks ago. 

This isn't because our staff blows chunks, they are good. But Miami's coaches were excellent against us this year and had Tua not had injury issues (yes I understand the coach's role in these) the Dolphins would probably have won 11 or 12 games 

They wouldn't have won the east tho

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Can you explain why you think he outcoached our staff in the first meeting?

I wouldn’t say he outcoached us in the first game but the second meeting offensively we couldn’t stop them and Tua had a pretty decent game against us. Defensively we couldn’t stop Mostert or Wilson Jr.

2 minutes ago, arcane said:

The first one is a bit more hand-waivy than the second game, which I think was clear from an Xs and Os standpoint that the Bills won because josh allen wanted them to badly enough and ONLY for that reason. But their team was ready to play us in week 3, executed better than we did. Yes we walked up and down the field, but their red zone D stymied our red zone O in the second half. If the Bills replaced josh allen with a Tua level QB, they would lose worse in game 3 than they did, and would have lost handily a couple weeks ago. 

This isn't because our staff blows chunks, they are good. But Miami's coaches were excellent against us this year and had Tua not had injury issues (yes I understand the coach's role in these) the Dolphins would probably have won 11 or 12 games 

They wouldn't have won the east tho

The dolphins “executed better than us?”

NO…..they did not.  

Also-  If they had a Josh allen type qb they wouldn’t have all the other talent in the field…… because they couldn’t afford it. 

your opinion is incorrect .

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Per the bold, I’d be interested in how you quantify that. Especially in the first game when we dominated them. 

Halftime adjustments, their D figured us out and despite hitting the red zone we could not finish any drives in half 2. Allen walked up and down the field yes, he bails us out from time to time. Miami executed better than we did and came away with the win. I'm willing to pass on that game if people really want to dig their heels in, because I'm not saying that the staff is BETTER than ours, but I think that team built itself for years to catch up to us and that preparation showed. They will not be an existential threat to us as long as allen is here, and our coaches are absolutely capable of swinging the pendulum back at them.

In the second game I don't think there's any pushback to the idea that they out-coached us, and that superman Allen saved the day.

Just now, NewEra said:

The dolphins “executed better than us?”

NO…..they did not.  

Also-  If they had a Josh allen type qb they wouldn’t have all the other talent in the field…… because they couldn’t afford it. 

your opinion is incorrect .

They won, forced a turnover in a critical area, and bowed up to force red zone stops at key times in the game. The bills choked all their key moments in that game. 

So yes, that's generally how I qualify executing 

3 hours ago, arcane said:

I do not see how we can conclude he is a good coach based on the collapse of the team down the stretch and the gross incompetence displayed in the mismanagement of Tua’s head injuries.  That alone speaks to his immaturity and lack of leadership.  He could not out coach McDermott on his best day and did not in either game.  

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I wouldn’t say he outcoached us in the first game but the second meeting offensively we couldn’t stop them and Tua had a pretty decent game against us. Defensively we couldn’t stop Mostert or Wilson Jr.

We could not stop them??  They were 5/14 on third downs. 1/1 on 4th.  They had 20 first downs.  Which is decent amount….. but nothing close to “can’t be stopped”.  Tua was 17/30 passing. 

We couldn’t stop Jeff Wilson?  Interesting.  Care to explain? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.