Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

More than 25 million witnessed it.

The NFL brings together a live audience like nothing else. On Monday night, that audience experienced something it had never experienced before. And the audience was massive. According to Austin Karp of Sports Business Daily, 25.4 million viewers on average watched the ABC, ESPN, and ESPN2 coverage of the Bills-Bengals game from the time Hamlin 

• Shocked 1

9 minutes ago, Greg S said:

More than 25 million witnessed it.

The NFL brings together a live audience like nothing else. On Monday night, that audience experienced something it had never experienced before. And the audience was massive. According to Austin Karp of Sports Business Daily, 25.4 million viewers on average watched the ABC, ESPN, and ESPN2 coverage of the Bills-Bengals game from the time Hamlin 

Most watched MNF game in ESPN history.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 2

1 hour ago, appoo said:

Truly truly amazing.

The fans, the media, everyone so far a has been amazing.

We need to keep pushing the NFL & The Bills to keep supporting Damar after all this energy naturally fades away. 

Football and sport has an outsized, positive impact on our lives and communities.  These men get well paid to do what they do, and make a choice to risk their health for this sport. Still, I think it still pales in comparison to the positive community energy they bring as a team. 

With that it mind, if Damar is unable to play football even again, then I hope the NFL & The Bills fully support him financially until he’s able to financially support himself.

I could be wrong, but I thought it was announced that although Damar as a 2nd year player is not "vested" in the NFL's benefits that they would continue to take care of him as needed.  Not a bad question to "press" on what that means specifically of course.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I could be wrong, but I thought it was announced that although Damar as a 2nd year player is not "vested" in the NFL's benefits that they would continue to take care of him as needed.  Not a bad question to "press" on what that means specifically of course.

I believe Troy Vincent was asked about this the other day and they said they would do everything to take care of him.

Not sure what that means long term but seems like for the time being, the NFLPA is going to take care of him at least.

36 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I read that too.  Mr Pegula stepped up and said he would pay every medical bill!

4 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

It is a miracle. Just by the shear number of things that had to go right…..from time, place, decisions made, the trained professionals on hand and everything else in between. By the doctors own admission, if any number of variables didn’t go down at the exact right moment, we may be having a different conversation. 

You don’t have to be religious to recognize that this was a miraculous set of events that saved Damar’s life. 

I agree with you.  The problem is that a lot of the time you hear the world "miracle", everyone jumps to religion.

Which I can completely understand as that is the most commonly known definition of a miracle.

Here's another one that may be more acceptable:. 

a highly improbable or extraordinary event, development, or accomplishment that brings very welcome consequences.

• Like (+1) 2

There's 3 amazing things that have happened in this thread for me personally.

1. Damar improving so quickly. 🙏🏻

2. The coming together of some when the chips are down and making this feel like a huge family.

3. The people that can find any subject to argue and be miserable about is quite amazing and sad to be honest

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Airseven said:

What's so amazing? He's alive because of the team's training staff and medical care. It wasn't a miracle. It was professionalism and skill.

Ah um, yes, amazing. Miracle can be being very "lucky" too.

AMAZING is a guy no breathing, heart stop on a 40 yard line. Portable defibrillator Monday night in front of 25M, then doing Zoom on Friday!!?

That is AMAZING. It is quite something to consider the points where it could have gone very wrong. Realizing that mere 3 wks ago general cardio deaths in the snow...

Edited by Since1981
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

It is a miracle. Just by the shear number of things that had to go right…..from time, place, decisions made, the trained professionals on hand and everything else in between. By the doctors own admission, if any number of variables didn’t go down at the exact right moment, we may be having a different conversation. 

You don’t have to be religious to recognize that this was a miraculous set of events that saved Damar’s life. 

The real miracle IMHO is the awakening. By that I mean the awakening that occurs when tragedy touches so many lives that we awaken communally. The miracle that people who never heard of or spoke the name Damar Hamlin have come together spiritually to be as one. 
Maybe there is a higher power that has to give us a reminder occasionally that we need to love each other.  
We’ll played big guy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I agree with you.  The problem is that a lot of the time you hear the world "miracle", everyone jumps to religion.

Which I can completely understand as that is the most commonly known definition of a miracle.

Here's another one that may be more acceptable:. 

a highly improbable or extraordinary event, development, or accomplishment that brings very welcome consequences.

By that definition, my sex life is a miracle!

• Haha (+1) 7

Wonderful news on Damar’s continuing recovery!    Admit was very scared Monday night when events unfolded, so so much credit to training staff and their quick response, amazing 

I have witnessed CPR in setting of the hospital as I am a health professional and it is a intense and physically taxing thing to watch and TV and movies tend to give us a very false and inaccurate  impression    I have witnessed both sad and positive outcomes and needed to be there for families who often were close by.

I am so eternally grateful for Damar, the icu team, our staff and of course our Buffalo Bills 

Edited by Shay

29 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

This.^^^^^

I'll start.

Damar's charity just hit 8,000,000.❤️💙

It will be interesting to see where than ends up after some of the larger companies promising to redirect profits to it for jersey and shirt sales like Fanatics start coming in. Assuming they will wait and tally everything up and send over in a lump sum and not after each sale.

3 hours ago, appoo said:

Truly truly amazing.

The fans, the media, everyone so far a has been amazing.

We need to keep pushing the NFL & The Bills to keep supporting Damar after all this energy naturally fades away. 

Football and sport has an outsized, positive impact on our lives and communities.  These men get well paid to do what they do, and make a choice to risk their health for this sport. Still, I think it still pales in comparison to the positive community energy they bring as a team. 

With that it mind, if Damar is unable to play football even again, then I hope the NFL & The Bills fully support him financially until he’s able to financially support himself. As a 2nd year, 6th round draft pick, he’s probably earned less than a million dollars in earnings after taxes. A substantial sum of money, but certainly not enough to cover living expenses and long term care in recovering from this in the years that follow.  And as a 2nd year player, he is not vested.  I understand that “everyday” and “working class” folks don’t get these benefits (I hate both phrases in this context but am left without a better phrase it’s become so collloqueal), but I would suggest that I - and anyone else in my field - don’t have the same power as these players to bring a community together, to uplift a community after tragedy, to help instill pride in a community, among the other positive aspects of being a Buffalo Bill. That matters. 

Given the massive cultural impact teams

make on our community, and the limited amount of players (about 2000 roster spots each year between the active roster and practice squad), and the amount of money these clubs gets from TV deals and all the other revenue streams, they need to be a lot more upfront in how they take care of players who get processed out of this league due to injury and health. 

I hope the NFL and the Bills support Damar for the rest of his life, for as long as it’s needed, for being a part of such a powerful cultural phenomenon, and almost dying for it

Or put this way, what other person in the Buffalo community that’s not a member of this team, would inspire a rally around the community event such as what we with Damar?

I wouldn't be surprised if this organization doesn't keep him on the roster just so he can become vested. The Bengals did something similar with Devon Still while his daughter was sick. I, by the way, have a Devon Still jersey purchased during a charity event for her

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Man, at the rate Damar is improving it almost seems like he will lead the charge this Sunday. Probably too soon but leading the charge for the first playoff game seems likely. 

I'm not sure if you're joking or not.  Seriously, we should just be really glad with the progress he's making without speculating about his future playing football.  It's way too early for that.

10 minutes ago, Georgia Bill said:

I'm not sure if you're joking or not.  Seriously, we should just be really glad with the progress he's making without speculating about his future playing football.  It's way too early for that.

he wasn't talking about playing football, just being there for his team leading the charge

13 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

you must be a young'n.  Bladder shy isn't possible with a big prostate.  I knock over family members rushing to the bathroom.

I'm a middl'n.  Young enough to control my bladder but old enough to sing "moon river" while bent over.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Man, at the rate Damar is improving it almost seems like he will lead the charge this Sunday. Probably too soon but leading the charge for the first playoff game seems likely. 

17 minutes ago, Georgia Bill said:

Sorry, I misinterpreted your post (thx Taro), thought you were talking about him playing... You meant leading the charge - someone mentioned maybe they'd have him address the fans from his hospital room - whether live or pre-recorded that would be cool.   

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.