Bills Offseason Personnel Needs

Tolstoy

As we wait for the Cincinnati game, I was thinking about the Bills roster, and which positions could use some help in the offseason. My initial assumption was that a 12-3 team would have a super talented roster and very few needs, but as I started to review each position, it became clear to me that the opposite is the case--there are very few roster positions on this team that don't need some form of upgrade. Tell me what you think about this:

QB: all set (assuming Keenum and Barkely are back)

RB: I suspect they will let Singletary walk, so they will probably need a talented back to complement Cook. Even if they keep Singletary, the Bills arguably need a back who can break tackles and gain tough yards.

WR: At the moment, the Bills look a bit weak here at all positions behind Diggs. Maybe that will change with the emergence of Shakir, or Davis playing a bit better, but one could wish for two dangerous receivers (ala Miami or Cincinnati).

TE: Seems like we need another pass-catching TE behind Knox. 

OL: Definitely need to invest in interior o-line. Right?

DL: I guess we are all set here (assuming we keep who we have), but the Vonn injury leaves a bit of a hole.

LB: we may be all set here, but if they let Edmunds walk, they will need a LB

DB: we are ok at corner, but we have to hope Benford or Elam can become a full-time starter. That said, our starting safeties are aging, and I suspect we would want an upgrade over Hamlin and/or Johnson.

Kicking team: seems ok

So, all in all, QB, DL, and kicking team seem like the only areas we would not be seeking an infusion of talent. This seems a bit odd, since the Bills are evidently very talented, and apparently have a "deep" roster (or so I have heard). Curious to hear what others think.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Tolstoy said:

As we wait for the Cincinnati game, I was thinking about the Bills roster, and which positions could use some help in the offseason. My initial assumption was that a 12-3 team would have a super talented roster and very few needs, but as I started to review each position, it became clear to me that the opposite is the case--there are very few roster positions on this team that don't need some form of upgrade. Tell me what you think about this:

RB: I suspect they will let Singletary walk, so they will probably need a talented back to complement Cook. Even if they keep Singletary, the Bills arguably need a back who can break tackles and gain tough yards.

WR: At the moment, the Bills look a bit weak here at all positions behind Diggs. Maybe that will change with the emergence of Shakir, or Davis playing a bit better, but one could wish for two dangerous receivers (ala Miami or Cincinnati).

DL: I guess we are all set here (assuming we keep who we have), but the Vonn injury leaves a bit of a hole.

DB: we are ok at corner, but we have to hope Benford or Elam can become a full-time starter. That said, our starting safeties are aging, and I suspect we would want an upgrade over Hamlin and/or Johnson.

So, all in all, QB, DL, and kicking team seem like the only areas we would not be seeking an infusion of talent. This seems a bit odd, since the Bills are evidently very talented, and apparently have a "deep" roster (or so I have heard). Curious to hear what others think.

Edmunds will be a FA and Oliver will be playing out his fifth year (and may hold out for a new contract).   Poyer is also in the last year of his contract and Hyde is coming back from a serious Neck injury.  The Bills will have plenty of holes and very little cap space to move around unless Diggs, Miller and Allen restructure their contracts.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Edmunds will be a FA and Oliver will be playing out his fifth year (and may hold out for a new contract).   Poyer is also in the last year of his contract and Hyde is coming back from a serious Neck injury.  The Bills will have plenty of holes and very little cap space to move around unless Diggs, Miller and Allen restructure their contracts.

2 if not all 3 will restructure-  Beane will make room.  How much is the question 

1 hour ago, Brian Higgins hair said:

1st and 2nd pick should be O line.. 

it all depends on who is available, but all thing equal, Wr should be rd 1 imo.  

• Like (+1) 3

Me, personally .. 

Poyer - Gone

Singletary - Gone

Saffold - Gone

Phillips - Gone

*Poyer likely gets paid, but the other three could be welcomed back on VERY team friendly deals. 

Edmunds - Back (gets paid)

Shaq - Back (team friendly)

Marlowe - Back (vet deal)

Klein - Back (vet deal)

Oliver - Trade for a 2nd

RD1 - WR

RD2 - OL

RD2 - OL

RD3 - S/DT

RD4 - DT/S

RD5 - RB

I doubt we trade Ed Oliver, he’s very good, but he’s not elite .. and I don’t see the point of paying big money to a very good DT long term. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

For the draft I would hope Beane goes...

OL -  needs to get better. Bills are usually terrible in short yardage situations.

WR -  need another weapon/playmaker to go along with Diggs

S - Poyer and Hyde are both north of 30. Need to get younger here.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Me, personally .. 

Poyer - Gone

Singletary - Gone

Saffold - Gone

Phillips - Gone

*Poyer likely gets paid, but the other three could be welcomed back on VERY team friendly deals. 

Klein - Back (vet deal)

Oliver - Trade for a 2nd

RD1 - WR

RD2 - OL

RD2 - OL

RD3 - S/DT

RD4 - DT/S

RD5 - RB

I doubt we trade Ed Oliver, he’s very good, but he’s not elite .. and I don’t see the point of paying big money to a very good DT long term. 

Very good assessment. I guess it all depends on how the draft shakes out but I’m more apt to take the very first interior lineman off the board in Round One over what’ll probably be the fifth or sixth best WR. We’ll see.

Food for thought. 

Since 2017 when McDermott arrived [and Beane shortly after], Bills have drafted 45 players. 

28 are still with the Bills. 

Of the 17 others, Araiza is a FA, Proehl [XFL], Vosean Joseph [CFL] - EVERY other player the Bills have drafted since 2017 is on an NFL roster [incl IR].

Wonder if any other front office has 42 of 45 drafted players from past 6 years on NFL Rosters.

• Like (+1) 8

The Bills need to invest in the oline heavily, both veterans and draft picks. They need to bring in a better #2 receiver and preferably a better slot receiver as well, unless Shakir can develop into that role.

On defense, just be sure to re-sign the defensive line. And re-sign Edmunds if you can afford him. Otherwise, MLB is a big hole that needs to be a major priority.

But overall, the team is in a good spot. Beane has built in a lot of wiggle room in the cap and they have plenty they can free up. They have good starters in many positions, and lots of good depth. They have superstars in Allen, Diggs, and White, as well as budding stars in Rousseau and Oliver. This is the team we have been waiting for.

• Like (+1) 1

I'd be 100% in favor of acquiring a better backup QB to prevent our season from being lost if Josh goes down for 4 games or something like that.

Biggest need: #1a WR star to help out Diggs.

Remaining need: completely re-invent the OL by all means available.

Remaining needs after that: patch in where necessary.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Tolstoy said:

Think about it after the superbowl win.  Christ almighty, people can't live in the moment

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 3

3 hours ago, Brian Higgins hair said:

1st and 2nd pick should be O line.. 

At least one of them

6 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Josh Allen is a Ferrari protected by old and used Ford Pintos. Ww need to get brand new SUVs to protect our $250 million Ferarri

Italian trash that can’t take a hit

Josh Allen is American made muscle  I’m thinking he’s that armored all-terrain vehicle that the rock was driving in G.I., Joe.

9 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I'd be 100% in favor of acquiring a better backup QB to prevent our season from being lost if Josh goes down for 4 games or something like that.

Biggest need: #1a WR star to help out Diggs.

Remaining need: completely re-invent the OL by all means available.

Remaining needs after that: patch in where necessary.

We are picking in that area where a center combo guard might be the best selection unless a top wide receiver falls

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Haha (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Tolstoy said:

I'll bet if you looked at the top 6 teams in the league you'd find a similar thing.  different positions, but either young guys who didn't improve as much as hoped for or aging vets at some positions

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Me, personally .. 

Poyer - Gone

Singletary - Gone

Saffold - Gone

Phillips - Gone

Klein - Back (vet deal)

Oliver - Trade for a 2nd

RD1 - WR

RD2 - OL

RD2 - OL

RD3 - S/DT

RD4 - DT/S

RD5 - RB

I like your draft selections too.  I think WR is bigger need than line as Bills are a passing team.  As weak as the line has looked at times they really only have one starting spot open as  they are not giving up on Brown who has only played 2 seasons and had no training camp or pre season due to recovering from injury.  They may bring in some competition at tackle, but is his job to lose.  If Morse retires, then could see them more likely bringing in a vet guard or center short term and draft center guard, but could see them moving Bates to center for 2023.

12 minutes ago, DJB said:

Oline and WR. Anyone suggest anything else is gonna get a paddling

We need help at Safety too.

What is the best way to approach this? Should we look at free agency for WR or S, and then look to the draft for O-Linemen?

I get the impression that the Bills will do all they can to retain Tremaine Edmunds. Jordan Poyer might be kept, but I doubt he gets a long term contract.

We will need to get someone to eventually replace Mitch Morse.

Just now, Mark Vader said:

What is the best way to approach this? Should we look at free agency for WR or S, and then look to the draft for O-Linemen?

I get the impression that the Bills will do all they can to retain Tremaine Edmunds. Jordan Poyer might be kept, but I doubt he gets a long term contract.

CBS Sports has us taking a safety from Texas A&M. I’ll hope to check him out in a bowl game…..if he didn’t opt out. 

• Vomit 1

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Me, personally .. 

Poyer - Gone

Singletary - Gone

Saffold - Gone

Phillips - Gone

Klein - Back (vet deal)

Oliver - Trade for a 2nd

RD1 - WR

RD2 - OL

RD2 - OL

RD3 - S/DT

RD4 - DT/S

RD5 - RB

Ed Oliver is getting better imo and shows flashes of being elite, extremely fast/quick.  Also think we can go for a WR in lower rounds, colleges are all pass happy and WR talent is strong.

4 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I think Beane finds a way to bring back Poyer on a 1 or 2 year deal

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 2

The priority every offseason should be making sure Josh is protected and has enough weapons. This team is only going as far as he takes us. 

Beyond that, we could use some better depth in the secondary. I'd prefer to keep Poyer.

Not sure what they do with Edmunds. He's probably played some of his best football this year which is always concerning in a contract year. I wouldn't want to see crazy money thrown at him. 

• Like (+1) 1

Good assessment. Just a couple minor differences in my mind and 1 addition. I like Singletary more than most, it seems. I think the best compliment to Cook would be a heavier back for snow games and poor traction conditions. At WR, I'd like a guy with world class speed. Diggs has decent speed, but a guy like Hill gives defenses headaches. Lastly, we need upgrades across the OL except Dawkins who would be better at G. Brown might develop into an elite OT, but right now he's a liability -- Not the worst, but way closer to the bottom than the top. I don't get why people overlook him when evaluating our OL. He's the weakest link and it makes no sense. He has elite athletic skills, but plays like a backup.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

Me, personally .. 

Poyer - Gone

Singletary - Gone

Saffold - Gone

Phillips - Gone

Klein - Back (vet deal)

Oliver - Trade for a 2nd

RD1 - WR

RD2 - OL

RD2 - OL

RD3 - S/DT

RD4 - DT/S

RD5 - RB

I love this 

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

Me, personally .. 

Poyer - Gone
Singletary - Gone
Saffold - Gone
Phillips - Gone

Klein - Back (vet deal)

Oliver - Trade for a 2nd

RD1 - WR
RD2 - OL
RD2 - OL
RD3 - S/DT
RD4 - DT/S
RD5 - RB

I don't really see Oliver leaving unless he wants elite money, but I'm not assuming he won't be reasonable. We'll just have to wait and see.

I actually was thinking about this earlier.  Assuming they keep Edmunds, and Poyer, etc.   In no particular order, 1st 5 picks OL, OL, Wr, Wr, S.  Last 2 picks, S, Rb.  I know this won't happen and is not how you draft, but if I was drafting for position upgrades and future need this is what I would go with

Edited by Gunsgoodtime

Just now, balln said:

It’s not even close. It’s OL. 

saffold is basically grading out as a player that shouldn’t be playing in the nfl. The other lineman stink as well minus dawkins 

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2022/10/08/pro-football-focus-buffalo-bills-offensive-line-dion-dawkins-mitch-morse/

Dawkins has stunk (at worst) or inconsistent (at best) since his new deal. Morse has been the only dependable cog this year when healthy and obviously his tenure is running out.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

2 if not all 3 will restructure-  Beane will make room.  How much is the question 

it all depends on who is available, but all thing equal, Wr should be rd 1 imo.  

We need 2 OL and a better WR2 in the first 3 picks. I could care less what order that happens. I think both Motor and Edmunds will be gone so we will have to find their replacements. I have no clue what happens at safety?

4 hours ago, krf139 said:

Why in the world is anyone talking about this with our biggest game of the season less than a week away? Threads like this shouldn’t be allowed 

I'll answer this question.......

It's because this is what the Bills, (GM, Personnel Dept., Scouting Dept.) are "talking about" right now and have been discussing / evaluating since the season started, continue to do at this moment, and will do up through free agency and till the draft.  As a Bills fan, it interests me, (And apparently many others), what the team is doing, not just on the playing field, but in all aspects of the organization.  More specifically, what the Bills are planning today are indicators of what the team will look like in the future - and that interests me.  It's what all teams, all organizations do.

On a personal level, quite honestly, the planning process interests me as much as the game itself - that's not an exaggeration.  And that's why I am reading "about this with our biggest game of the season less than a week away."

• Like (+1) 2

its more a question what they will do rather than what I would do:

as much as we need IOL, the only high picks made are Ford and Brown (a bust and a work-in-progress)...so likely...no...because you dont draft based on immediate need...and...add the head coach with a strong preference not to play rooks....but...Morse concussions and last year of his pricey contract may have them make take an interior who can play spot guard for one year with the rest of the cavemen and then switch to C the year after ???   

secondly...Davis coming-up on last year of contract...not a given as sometimes plays like a number two, and at times a number three...but likely to get over-paid as Robert Woods once did as a number two, and if so it wont be us...simply cannot loose our passing game fastball so a higher pick on a WR makes sense esp since can be mentored year one with spot duty...Shakir becomes the slot guy ?....exit or paycut to McKenzie in favor of more speed and better hands ?  Crowder the backup on  a cheap contract ?

the rest of the rounds...best athlete available...DT for sure,  and the usual tackle and or guard taken late round...Hamlin the only db-safety being drafted by this regime ?  does Benford project to that postion next season for Poyer ?

fwiw...the gal pal is a nurse, a head nurse (yes, oh yes and OH YES)  and says Morse can play tackle, as he did in college and his mobility is still good, and less likley to get concussed on the exterior compared to the interior small space ?

Edited by First Round Bust
sp

I think priority 1 is finding Morse's future replacement. If he doesn't retire to avoid permanent disability, I would be happy for one more year, but we gotta have a top notch center, hopefully in the draft to back him up when he misses time. The other high pick should be Saffold's replacement. Add one quality FA.

I also hope we can find a WR like Chase instead of paying 20 per to a FA. But don't forget where our draft spot will be....in each round. I think this is the year for Beane to trade up to secure high quality picks at least in the 1st 4 rounds and I don't care if he uses some of next year's to do it.

3 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Free agent WRs are getting paid insanely. I suspect the team drafts, and fairly highly, a WR. I hope he has elite speed to stretch the field and good hands; size is a bonus but not necessary with elite speed.

Safeties might be an option in free agency if the the staff likes someone younger than Poyer they think has upside.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.