Bills Offseason Personnel Needs

Tolstoy

Probably won't be on the Bills radar due to other needs but Darnell Washington will be the best blocking TE in the league almost immediately. Dude is like having another tackle on the end of the line. He's a freak on the field as well and can catch the ball. Think he probably goes mid second round.

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

2 if not all 3 will restructure-  Beane will make room.  How much is the question 

it all depends on who is available, but all thing equal, Wr should be rd 1 imo.  

Rd 1 you take ol or wr whichever player you feel is gonna benefit the team most.  If there's a sure fire can't miss ol that's worth the pick we have you take him over a wr because u hit on building the wall of protection then the king of the north can make any wr with decent ability a star.  And they won't need to be the guy. 

We already got Him at qb.

We got Him at wr.

We got Himbo at rb. 

We are rocking in Hims. 

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Free agent WRs are getting paid insanely. I suspect the team drafts, and fairly highly, a WR. I hope he has elite speed to stretch the field and good hands; size is a bonus but not necessary with elite speed.

Safeties might be an option in free agency if the the staff likes someone younger than Poyer they think has upside.

They can keep Poyer and draft Fuqua right from their own backyard at UB

25 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Rd 1 you take ol or wr whichever player you feel is gonna benefit the team most.  If there's a sure fire can't miss ol that's worth the pick we have you take him over a wr because u hit on building the wall of protection then the king of the north can make any wr with decent ability a star.  And they won't need to be the guy. 

We already got Him at qb.

We got Him at wr.

We got Himbo at rb. 

We are rocking in Hims. 

I agree.  I just don’t know if that OL exists in this draft

7 hours ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Josh Allen is a Ferrari protected by old and used Ford Pintos. Ww need to get brand new SUVs to protect our $250 million Ferarri

Come on man. The are at least old F150’s. I haven’t seen one explode when rear ended yet.

1 hour ago, GolfandBills said:

OL, WR and some depth on the roster.  Not alot of needs 

Add in S as priority with OL and WR. I’m of the mindset to evaluate a bit closer after the season. How far and caliber of play in post season will impact. But those 3 likely don’t change drastically. 

12 hours ago, Brian Higgins hair said:

1st and 2nd pick should be O line.. 

Only if we can bring in a legit #2 WR in FA. If not, imo, use the 2nd rounder on that and the 1st & 3rd on OL. Either way legit assets need to be directed to the offense. McBeane have used plenty on the defensive side of the ball since they got here.

9 hours ago, MJS said:

The Bills need to invest in the oline heavily, both veterans and draft picks. They need to bring in a better #2 receiver and preferably a better slot receiver as well, unless Shakir can develop into that role.

On defense, just be sure to re-sign the defensive line. And re-sign Edmunds if you can afford him. Otherwise, MLB is a big hole that needs to be a major priority.

But overall, the team is in a good spot. Beane has built in a lot of wiggle room in the cap and they have plenty they can free up. They have good starters in many positions, and lots of good depth. They have superstars in Allen, Diggs, and White, as well as budding stars in Rousseau and Oliver. This is the team we have been waiting for.

The Bills need to move away from McKenzie as the slot receiver and either put Beasley permanently or have Shakir replace him and give them the reps.   McKenzie has been a big disappointment as a slot receiver.  He has not been that safety valve for Josh.  

I still think the best combination on the field will be. Hines/Cook in the backfield and Diggs/Davis/Knox at WR.   This combination can be a huge mismatch.  

I also remember (there was even a video on it) how Daboll used Davis and Beasley combination to ensure that Diggs or Knox was always wide open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzO2-KNemQM

23 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Only if we can bring in a legit #2 WR in FA. If not, imo, use the 2nd rounder on that and the 1st & 3rd on OL. Either way legit assets need to be directed to the offense. McBeane have used plenty on the defensive side of the ball since they got here.

I would rather get the WR with the #1 and take OL on 2 and 3.

9 minutes ago, ganesh said:

The Bills need to move away from McKenzie as the slot receiver and either put Beasley permanently or have Shakir replace him and give them the reps.   McKenzie has been a big disappointment as a slot receiver.  He has not been that safety valve for Josh.  

I still think the best combination on the field will be. Hines/Cook in the backfield and Diggs/Davis/Knox at WR.   This combination can be a huge mismatch.  

I also remember (there was even a video on it) how Daboll used Davis and Beasley combination to ensure that Diggs or Knox was always wide open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzO2-KNemQM

I would rather get the WR with the #1 and take OL on 2 and 3.

Yeah, I'm flexible on the WR coming in the 1st 2 rounds. Josh would love the idea of a WR in the 1st! He'd love the idea of the first 3 rounds going to offense also. Somehow I don't think McBeane will allow this to happen. It's always fun to dream though. GO BILLS!!

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

8 hours ago, DJB said:

I think Beane finds a way to bring back Poyer on a 1 or 2 year deal

Poyer seems brittle recent years.  He can play well when healthy, but....

we will have a new backup QB next year.  Keenum is to expensive and not a great mathc for Josh's style.  Bean will pull a rabbit out of a hat.   Barlkey isn't that guy.

8 hours ago, Bangarang said:

The priority every offseason should be making sure Josh is protected and has enough weapons. This team is only going as far as he takes us. 

Beyond that, we could use some better depth in the secondary. I'd prefer to keep Poyer.

Not sure what they do with Edmunds. He's probably played some of his best football this year which is always concerning in a contract year. I wouldn't want to see crazy money thrown at him. 

Edmunds is still a young guy. When other guys his age were developing in College he was developing in the pros. The fact that he improved quite a bit in a contract year is more likely due to his age than just trying to cash in.

A good portion of the answer will depend on how we make cap space and who we re-sign. We need starters at IOL and depth basically everywhere with 20+ UFA this offseason. 

Some notables are Poyer, Edmunds, Singletary, Philips, Lawson, Dane Jackson, J.Johnson, Keenum,  and Ike.

They aren’t all starters but their roles have to be replaced. 

If trends continue there will be a significant turnover of personnel like it has occurred every off season under Beane.  These conjectures are fun to participate in.  They will let some name FA walk, keep others and look to the draft to fill key holes.  Look for OG/C, WR, CB and LB to be addressed in the draft. 

After 2021 the Bills had a significant amount of needs. So it isn’t like this team is in that bad shape going into 2023.

Going into 2021 The Dline needed a massive overhaul. Vernon Butler and Star were really trash up the middle, Harry was also a free agent. Jerry and Addison while not tragic were not getting it done off the edge. Defensively the team also had a need at corner as Levi Wallace was not getting it done and Tre was coming off a serious injury.

The Bills also had a need at RG and needed to get better at RB. The team also needed to address the slot WR position.

Beane tried to make significant moves at all these areas of need. Von was brought in to be the killer edge rusher and Shaq was brought in for vet depth. The DT room was completely overhauled to be bigger and tougher against the run. And Elam was drafted up high to get faster and more athletic at corner.

On offense they brought in Crowder and OJ Howard to address the loss of Beasley and Sanders (while also drafting Shakir) and then drafted Cook to be more dynamic out the backfield and added Saffold to address the RG spot.

The defensive moves ended up working out better as the DT overhaul and the additions of Shaq and Von have been great while Elam looks to be a nice addition to the secondary even if he is a bit uneven at times.

Offensively the addition of Cook and the in season acquisition of Hines are looking good but at WR Crowder got hurt and Howard was a bust. Saffold has also been pretty bad at RG. 

Here is the list of free agent OL and it isn’t the worst list, a few high RAS guys and Kromer guys as well:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/offensive-line//

I am rosterbating here, but I would trade pick 32 for Chris Lindstrom. A guard like that changes a lot. Not sure why Atlanta would do it aside for collecting draft capital to get a QB. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Free agent WRs are getting paid insanely. I suspect the team drafts, and fairly highly, a WR. I hope he has elite speed to stretch the field and good hands; size is a bonus but not necessary with elite speed.

Safeties might be an option in free agency if the the staff likes someone younger than Poyer they think has upside.

In fact, I would suggest they look to trade up and try and get as good a WR as possible.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Entire Draft needs to be on the offensive side of the ball. 

On the contrary, we need CB2 and Safety depth, if Edmunds takes the Brinks truck some idiot GM offers him, then we will also need a MLB.

Von won't be Von until mid season and may not ever have the explosiveness that is his MO

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

On the contrary, we need CB2 and Safety depth, if Edmunds takes the Brinks truck some idiot GM offers him, then we will also need a MLB.

Von won't be Von until mid season and may not ever have the explosiveness that is his MO

No we don’t. 

we NEED to spend premium assets in Offense for once. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

No we don’t. 

we NEED to spend premium assets in Offense for once. 

Right now, our cap spending (including IR) is $87MM Defense, $77MM Offense, $16MM ST Core.

Edmunds is on a fifth year option in 2022 at $12.7MM. Spotrac says $14.3 is market value

Josh Allen's cap hit goes up $23MM in 2023, so they will have to extend/restructure. Von and DIggs have big bumps next year as well.

Ed Oliver's fifth year option in 2023 is $10.7MM

Bills are #25 in terms of cap space.

Our current contracts have us $4MM over the projected 2023 cap.

Beane has to work a lot of magic to be sure.

51 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Right now, our cap spending (including IR) is $87MM Defense, $77MM Offense, $16MM ST Core.

Edmunds is on a fifth year option in 2022 at $12.7MM. Spotrac says $14.3 is market value

Josh Allen's cap hit goes up $23MM in 2023, so they will have to extend/restructure. Von and DIggs have big bumps next year as well.

Ed Oliver's fifth year option in 2023 is $10.7MM

Bills are #25 in terms of cap space.

Our current contracts have us $4MM over the projected 2023 cap.

Beane has to work a lot of magic to be sure.

Yep but easy areas to free money. Unlike MIA with 6M is over cap with 36 under contract and No QB to tap into for extra cash 

12 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I think this comes down to WR and then Offensive Line.

Speed is a priority.

Spencer Brown you’d have to project if he can reasonably get better, because it feels like he allows free rushers 1 of every 3 snaps. 

Spencer's feet are never getting quicker. I know we need to replace Saffold first and maybe Morse if he retires, but Brown is next on the "you're on thin ice" list.  I can live with Dawkins, Bates and Boettger. Cut Sweeney and promote Morris as TE2. Then decide what to do with Motor/ Gabe?

15 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Spencer's feet are never getting quicker. I know we need to replace Saffold first and maybe Morse if he retires, but Brown is next on the "you're on thin ice" list.  I can live with Dawkins, Bates and Boettger. Cut Sweeney and promote Morris as TE2. Then decide what to do with Motor/ Gabe?

This far Beane has tried to build the offensive line around bargain shopping free agency and mid-round draft picks.

I think we have in-house options that are equal to Saffold, but RT is a problem. 

If you draft a Center in Rounds 1-2, I would think that means you want them starting. 

I would like Gesicki on a 1-year deal as the TE2 on this team. 

Singletary you can let go, and Gabe you’re playing out his rookie deal, and he’s ideally be replaced by a rookie 1st Round pick. 

On 12/27/2022 at 12:16 PM, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I'll bet if you looked at the top 6 teams in the league you'd find a similar thing.  different positions, but either young guys who didn't improve as much as hoped for or aging vets at some positions

I like your draft selections too.  I think WR is bigger need than line as Bills are a passing team.  As weak as the line has looked at times they really only have one starting spot open as  they are not giving up on Brown who has only played 2 seasons and had no training camp or pre season due to recovering from injury.  They may bring in some competition at tackle, but is his job to lose.  If Morse retires, then could see them more likely bringing in a vet guard or center short term and draft center guard, but could see them moving Bates to center for 2023.

As good as Allen has become and his ceiling may not have been reached this early in his career, but even if he keeps improving  Allen will not be throwing td passes while on his back, the ol does much more than just open lanes for a running game.  Being a pass heavy team you gotta protect the passer or you ain't passing anything.  

13 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I think this comes down to WR and then Offensive Line.

Speed is a priority.

Spencer Brown you’d have to project if he can reasonably get better, because it feels like he allows free rushers 1 of every 3 snaps. 

I think if Brown was healthy consistently he would be a much better player. He had back surgery during the offseason and couldn’t practice until late August so he couldn’t learn a new scheme then just as he starts to pick up his play he gets an ankle injury and misses a few games. I think his play against the Bears was his best game so here is hoping he is turning a corner again.

If I were McBeane I would bring in a vet RT to compete with him in 2023 I know they brought in Queese but they need someone there who is a better pass blocker. It would push Brown and help him by having a vet to learn from and help the Oline depth which has been pretty bad this season.

I am fine with the Dawkins-Bates-Mitch side of the line but the right side of the line and the depth are horrible. Likely have to spend the teams first round pick or a RT or RG and a 3rd or 4th round pick at center to get an heir apparent for Mitch and solidify the depth

7 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

As good as Allen has become and his ceiling may not have been reached this early in his career, but even if he keeps improving  Allen will not be throwing td passes while on his back, the ol does much more than just open lanes for a running game.  Being a pass heavy team you gotta protect the passer or you ain't passing anything.  

Agree you have to protect him, but there has to also be actual roster spots for the player you draft.  I've seen threads stating the Bills should draft 5 lineman.  If they do, come September, they are either cutting two or three or having all the backups be rookies, both of which would be very poor ideas. 

You have likely one opening at guard, two if Morse were to retire.  If that were to happen, I'd fill one spot with a good FA vet signing and one with a rookie and also draft one more rookie as a backup and to potentially start in 2024.  I'd draft them fairly high, either 2 and 3 or 2 and 4 so are getting someone who should become a solid player.  The other three spots Bates, Brown, and Dawkins likely will be the same in 2023, and even if you want to make a change, replacing any of them with a rookie, plus a rookie in another spot isn't likely going to make the line better in the near future.  That may be the best answer for 2025, but not in the near term which can't be over looked either.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.