Should we go after Josh Jacobs?

BuffaloBills1998

12 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

He looks/sounds fed up with the raiders. Some might call it a stretch but after watching this I think he can’t wait to get out. Also I don’t think we’re resigning Singletary 

We just had 2RBs run for about 100 yards each and you’re looking at free agent RBs?

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

productivity is measured over a season.  In  4 years Jacobs has has one season under 1000.  Singletary, even with 2 17  game seasons is unlucky to get his first  over 1000

Productivity is measured over a season ... per rush.

Jacobs is a very good and productive back. So is Singletary. Not as good as Jacobs, but very good.

1 hour ago, QLBillsFan said:

Why ? He will sign for a reasonable deal. Underrated big time contributor on this team. 

Yeah.

This is a good year to be trying to sign an RB to a reasonable contract. Supply is high and demand is pretty much as usual. A lot of good-looking young backs coming out in the draft this year, and a lot of solid guys are available as FAs.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Big C said:

More likely we re-sign Singletary to a team-friendly deal than we pursue Jacobs after the season he has had. Not to mention Cook looks better and better as the season progresses. 

what about a player friendly deal, why is it always team friendly?

Keep the law firm of  Singletary & Cook together.  Motor not going to cost that much with free agent RB class. Plus I want to upgrade the oline and get more speed & athletic, better route running WR's. We can draft another RB in the later rounds. We have guys of our own to resign (Edmonds, Oliver & Poyer)

20 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

Beane isn't likely to sign a RB that already has 4 years of wear & tear.

With Allen's contract set to balloon,and the free agency of Poyer and Edmunds; Beane wont spend much on a back.

Singletary fits this offense but if he signs elsewhere, Bills could survive with Cook and a couple inexpensive rookies 

Beane signed Frank Gore a few years ago so I'm not sure how you justify your first sentence. 

Here's the 4 key 2023 FA's

Edmunds - Cap Hit, 12.7 MM - Mkt Value 14.3 [but someone will overpay]

Poyer - Cap Hit 10.8M - Mkt Value 11.0 [Is Rachel done with Buffalo winters]

Motor - Cap Hit 2.8M - Mkt Value 5.9

Saffold [haha] Cap Hit - 4.2M - Mkt Value 5.4 [$2.0 MM dead cap in 2023]

Also coming up

Davis [2024 fa] - Cap Hit 1.1M - Mkt Value 13.5 [again someone will overpay]

Oliver [2024 fa] - Cap Hit 10.7 [5th Yr] - Mkt Value 12.5

Some food for thought here.

9 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

Why ? He will sign for a reasonable deal. Underrated big time contributor on this team. 

I would guess that I’ve been one of Síngletary’s biggest fans on this board since he was drafted. I think he’s been fantastic.  I agree that he’s underrated. 

That said, money needs to be spent on the o line. 

Make the o line better, keep Cook as RB1 and get a lower-priced free agent vet to mentor/spell Cook. 

That’s just what I would do. Not saying anyone is right or wrong. 

12 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

While casting dispersions on Devin seems to be a hobby around here, he’s a consistent producer of around 1000 yards from scrimmage per season at about 5 TDs per touch. He rarely is TFLd and usually makes the first guy miss. 

reread my posts.  not disparaging him.  He's what we have.  Jacobs is a better RB.  That's all.

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I actually love the player I just don’t think it’s a good allocation of resources

I agree.  Was disagreeing with another poster that he's not a top RB.  He clearly in in today's NFL.

11 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

We just had 2RBs run for about 100 yards each and you’re looking at free agent RBs?

That's 1 game against a sorry Bears team.  Jacobs does this.  He has games of 229, 144, 143, 154 and 144 this season alone.  

For the record, Josh Jacobs has 1539 yards on the season at 5.0 yards per clip.  He has a career average of 4.5ypc with Derek Carr as his QB, so the Singletary faithful can't pull that ypc bs.

This guy is it.  A 3 down back that propels this franchise to where we need to be.  

The goal here is to win Super Bowls.

• Eyeroll 1

14 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

YES.   An Aj Dillon type back.

I think the plan will be to have J Cook increase at the work load to around 10-15 touches a game.  Buying an expensive RB1 for full time duty would limit the opportunity for your second round pick to flourish - bad use of resources.  So no Barkley/Hunt/Pollard.

AJ Dillon would be a great fit for the role of Thunder - a veteran who could get the short yardage and would know about pass protection.

It's about cost though.  When the market dries up after the above RBs then Dillon or Singletary might be able to be had at a reasonable rate.  

10 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

I would be comfortable re-signing Motor to a 3-year / 15 million extension. I think he and Cook would be serviceable. Hines may also come back. No need to spend additional money on the RB room.

That 5-6 mil/yr is the sweet spot to resign him. Any more and you're better off spending that money elsewhere and any less you've got yourself a nice deal

On 12/25/2022 at 8:49 AM, Big C said:

More likely we re-sign Singletary to a team-friendly deal than we pursue Jacobs after the season he has had. Not to mention Cook looks better and better as the season progresses. 

I'm very content with Motor, Himbo and Hines. Please don't waste a pick on a RB when we need OL.

31 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

I'd say, right now, the chances of the Bills returning in 2023 with Motor and Cook is very high...Throw Hines in there too...I think they can stay cheap there, and as long as Cook continues to improve they're fine...

FA crop of RB’s is pretty good this coming offseason. That could keep Singletary’s deal very reasonable so I agree with your assessment. As for Hines I thought his deal was fairly expensive but not sure. 

On 12/25/2022 at 11:56 AM, Herb Nightly said:

Beane isn't likely to sign a RB that already has 4 years of wear & tear.

With Allen's contract set to balloon,and the free agency of Poyer and Edmunds; Beane wont spend much on a back.

Singletary fits this offense but if he signs elsewhere, Bills could survive with Cook and a couple inexpensive rookies 

Yea there be plenty of running backs you can get when you don't need a all star to run on a pass first offense.  No matter how talented an rb is they aren't gonna downshift and go run heavy unless the conditions or pass defense we face warrants it.  Think as Cook settles in he'll take the Thurman Thomas role and i"d imagine the Bills will have their pick amongst talented veteran rbs that are looking for a new team.  Not to mention could get a bunch of udfa and let them fight it out in training camp.  We don't need an all pro running back and any rb that talented would not have the touches here to shine as brightly as they should.   They won't be drafting a rb that high or I would hope not.  

On 12/25/2022 at 6:14 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I don’t think that’s a fair comparison.  Kenneth Davis was nothing like James Cook.  Change of pace in that they’re/were both the backup RB?  Okay.  Jimbo Cook can be a RB1, and has elite game changing skills/attributes.

Or Thunder and Lightning—Chuck Muncie and Tony Galbreath. 

On 12/25/2022 at 11:49 AM, Big C said:

I like dis guys idea. Singletary and Cook have become a really good combo. I'd like to see it remain intact. I know salary cap and all that but yeah, Singletary and Edmunds are on my "please find a way to keep these guys" list.

23 hours ago, nucci said:

what about a player friendly deal, why is it always team friendly?

"Why is it always team friendly?" you ask. I don't even understand what this means. It isn't. Some deals are team-friendly, some player-friendly and some roughly neutral.

But as I noted above (and not with great originality, it's well-known) this is going to be a good year for finding solid decent FA RBs. There are a lot available. It's not a good year for a non-elite RB to be looking for a player-friendly deal.

And as happened with the Pats all those years, and maybe even more so, we're seeing that players like to come back to teams with a great chance of winning a title, and even more so for a player-friendly coaching regime like ours as opposed to a Belichick type. Players aren't going to give massive discounts, particularly RBs getting second contracts. But small discounts to re-sign? Yeah, if the situation is near-ideal as it is for Singletary right now.

It's not a sure thing, but it seems likely.

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

"Why is it always team friendly?" you ask. I don't even understand what this means. It isn't. Some deals are team-friendly, some player-friendly and some roughly neutral.

But as I noted above (and not with great originality, it's well-known) this is going to be a good year for finding solid decent FA RBs. There are a lot available. It's not a good year for a non-elite RB to be looking for a player-friendly deal.

And as happened with the Pats all those years, and maybe even more so, we're seeing that players like to come back to teams with a great chance of winning a title, and even more so for a player-friendly coaching regime like ours as opposed to a Belichick type. Players aren't going to give massive discounts, particularly RBs getting second contracts. But small discounts to re-sign? Yeah, if the situation is near-ideal as it is for Singletary right now.

It's not a sure thing, but it seems likely.

kinda sarcasm, whenever someone says we should sign someone they always use the the term "team friendly deal"

16 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

That's 1 game against a sorry Bears team.  Jacobs does this.  He has games of 229, 144, 143, 154 and 144 this season alone.  

For the record, Josh Jacobs has 1539 yards on the season at 5.0 yards per clip.  He has a career average of 4.5ypc with Derek Carr as his QB, so the Singletary faithful can't pull that ypc bs.

This guy is it.  A 3 down back that propels this franchise to where we need to be.  

The goal here is to win Super Bowls.

First, Singletary is a 3 down back. Same with Cook, really. If you're thinking about a bell cow, there is zero reason to think that we need a bell cow back. How many recent SB champs have had bell cow backs taking most of the carries? Certainly far from a majority.

The goals should indeed be to win Super Bowls. No reason to think there's all that much of an advantage in terms of winning Super Bowls in having a bell cow back.

4 minutes ago, nucci said:

kinda sarcasm, whenever someone says we should sign someone they always use the the term "team friendly deal"

Ah, sorry, guess I misunderstood. Have a great week.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/25/2022 at 12:03 PM, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Allen has already said he’ll restructure his contract, poyer is older and is injury prone now and I think most on here would agree that Edmunds isn’t worth paying big bucks to keep him around

Edmunds is a big piece of the Bills D so I believe many would disagree with you.

I really dont think that they will pay him anywhere near what I believe that he will ask for.  The only thing going is that the running back free agency pool is so incredibly deep this year.  Personally, I would prefer they dump their available funds into offensive line, wide receiver and potentially resigning poyer. 

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

First, Singletary is a 3 down back. Same with Cook, really. If you're thinking about a bell cow, there is zero reason to think that we need a bell cow back. How many recent SB champs have had bell cow backs taking most of the carries? Certainly far from a majority.

The goals should indeed be to win Super Bowls. No reason to think there's all that much of an advantage in terms of winning Super Bowls in having a bell cow back.

Devin Singletary is not Josh Jacobs.

I'm not too concerned with what other teams that won the Super Bowl did.  I'm worried about what the Bills need to do to win one.  

How many teams have won the Super Bowl with their starting QB being the leading rusher on the team? (Yes I'm aware that Singletary now leads Allen by 44 yards).  

14 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

FA crop of RB’s is pretty good this coming offseason. That could keep Singletary’s deal very reasonable so I agree with your assessment. As for Hines I thought his deal was fairly expensive but not sure. 

Right...I'm assuming some sort of re-structure with Hines...If he plays anywhere in 2023 it will be on the cheaper end...B-)

Jacobs will cost far too much and if you haven't noticed this front office has zero interest in investing anything other than the minimum at RB. 

Anyone who thinks we resign Singletary is delusional. 

Hines will possibly be restructured or cut. Very good chance that contract doesn't stand as it is today. 

On 12/25/2022 at 6:45 PM, dave mcbride said:

I think James Cook looks like he might turn out to be an extremely good player.

Cook is looking good but he can never be a 3 down back in the NFL with his size he won’t last so he needs a strong big back to complement him and Jacobs is that and then some. I would love to get McDaniels as OC as well if he gets fired from the Raiders . McDaniels runs the same passing concepts as Daboll ran with the Bills the Erhardt Perkins offense but he even has better run schemes then Daboll had . I realize McDaniels is a horrible head coach but he would be a massive upgrade over Dorsey and it helps that Josh Allen has flourished in that Perkins Erhardt system . 

6 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

Jacobs will cost far too much and if you haven't noticed this front office has zero interest in investing anything other than the minimum at RB. 

Anyone who thinks we resign Singletary is delusional. 

Hines will possibly be restructured or cut. Very good chance that contract doesn't stand as it is today. 

2- 3rd rd picks and 1 2nd in 4yrs is a lot of investment if u ask me

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.