Should we go after Josh Jacobs?

BuffaloBills1998

I thought we should have traded for him at the deadline.  I would think a 3rd maybe 4th would have done it and we would have got a comp pick back if he left in free agency.

Regarding impending free agency - would not give a big contract to any RB given the current state of the NFL.  I’d consider a two year deal if he would take below market value if he wants to ring chase.

• Like (+1) 5

Beane isn't likely to sign a RB that already has 4 years of wear & tear.

With Allen's contract set to balloon,and the free agency of Poyer and Edmunds; Beane wont spend much on a back.

Singletary fits this offense but if he signs elsewhere, Bills could survive with Cook and a couple inexpensive rookies 

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

Beane isn't likely to sign a RB that already has 4 years of wear & tear.

With Allen's contract set to balloon,and the free agency of Poyer and Edmunds; Beane wont spend much on a back.

Singletary fits this offense but if he signs elsewhere, Bills could survive with Cook and a couple inexpensive rookies 

Allen has already said he’ll restructure his contract, poyer is older and is injury prone now and I think most on here would agree that Edmunds isn’t worth paying big bucks to keep him around

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 10
  • Dislike 5

I would rather spend the cap dollars on the Oline or retaining defensive talent. Jacobs is a beast but I think James Cook is a ready to roll player and the team can bring back Hines as a return and third down back. You then could bring in a pure back up to platoon with Cook (hopefully Motor if his number is reasonable) on the cheap.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Will be cash-strapped.  Need to spend money on other positions. 

Teams have shown for years that the cap can be manipulated and the cap is going up significantly. I don’t want Jacobs on the Bills, but they won’t be cash strapped. If they want a guy or want to re-sign a guy they will be able to

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Honestly The cap is bull#### and can be manipulated in a lot of ways. 

2 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Teams have shown for years that the cap can be manipulated and the cap is going up significantly. I don’t want Jacobs on the Bills, but they won’t be cash strapped. If they want a guy or want to re-sign a guy they will be able to

True but the cap is finite. Better to spend the money on OL. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I've thought about this knowing it was a dream. We are too thin with resources to spend it on a superstar back. I think.

But my, Jacobs and Cook would be a deadly backfield. And yes, it would make our offense very, very tough to stop. If we drafted a big-bodied WR with top-end speed plus a couple good O-lineman and signed Jacobs I would not be upset. In fact, it would be a season-long blue pill for my football-loving soul...

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think Motor and Cook are very complimentary.  If Singletary left next year I'd love to see someone with some more thump and I'm not talking about another 5'10" 210 pound "power" back.  I would like to see them draft a back that's over 225 with a little bit of wiggle so Josh isn't the only short yardage option.

Edited by Maine-iac
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think James Cook looks like he might turn out to be an extremely good player.

Yeah, I don’t understand why so many people around here want invest MORE money and draft capital in the RB position.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, mannc said:

Yeah, I don’t understand why so many people around here want invest MORE money and draft capital in the RB position.  

I'm really, really digging Cook but Jacobs breaks tackles and gives a little more thunder to the run game. But yes, it's a total luxury and not necessarily wise. 

44 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Allen has already said he’ll restructure his contract, poyer is older and is injury prone now and I think most on here would agree that Edmunds isn’t worth paying big bucks to keep him around

I like Edmunds at Milano-bucks. RB's can always be had, note Blackshear from Bills' preseason has gone on to force himself into the Panthers committee. I think Beane perhaps demonstrates too much loyalty at times; witness this WR group. Poyer, Edmunds, they'll find a way to keep in all likelihood.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, StHustle said:

Just draft one in the late 2nd or 3rd like we always do 🤷🏾‍♂️ can’t afford to pay another one after we spent on Hines. Too many other more important players to take care of right now.

I like Singletary but he might not be back. If so I'd rather we trade down in round 1 to early/mid 2nd round and a 4th rounder. Then use a the acquired 4th rounder on Chris

Rodriguez Jr to compliment Cook and Hines.

Edited by The Jokeman

2 hours ago, wolfpack78 said:

I thought we should have traded for him at the deadline.  I would think a 3rd maybe 4th would have done it and we would have got a comp pick back if he left in free agency.

Regarding impending free agency - would not give a big contract to any RB given the current state of the NFL.  I’d consider a two year deal if he would take below market value if he wants to ring chase.

Was he on the block? 

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Singletary should be gone.  Don't give RBs big money.  That's why Cook was drafted.  Do it all over again in a couple years.

Singletary is one of very few players I could see staying at a real hometown discount, he loves the guys he's around and he love being in Buffalo. I know that's thrown around on here a bunch, but in this rare case I think it's true.

Besides I don't think he's going to get offered big bucks, certainly some team will offer him more than the Bills will want to pay, but not big bucks. The sticking point may be would he be willing to be the #2 RB? I think if he were to stay, Cook will overtake him as the #1 next year.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's averaging almost 1200 yards rushing in his 4 year career (2 more games to go).

And? Singletary averages more per rush then he does (career). Jacobs last two years has averaged 4 yards a carry and 3.9 years a carry. He is doing this behind a better O-Line in Vegas too.

This is his first great year (5 yards a carry) and his other good season was his rookie year. Don't confuse volume with productivity

Edited by dma0034
  • Like (+1) 1

I think it depends on the cost. I could see the Panthers, Rams, Falcons, Broncos (even tho Denver shouldn’t) with the Pats,  Commanders or Bears a maybe. Serious dark horse team would be Dolphins. 

I think Jacobs is an excellent back when healthy, but that’s no guarantee. Between him , Hunt, and Miles Sanders (similar backs at end of their contracts) I like Sanders the most for the offense, but he’s most similar to Cook. Between Jacobs and Hunt, I’d take Jacobs but he might be most expensive.

Would y’all take Jacobs on a 4 year/ 18-20 mil total? 

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

19 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Was he on the block? 

At the start of season he was. They declined 5th year option, drafted Zameer White in 4th round, and signed Abdullah - all while they had Kenyan Drake too (who was paid a bunch the year before). live in Vegas and all they talked about was rotation/committee but ended up riding him after that 2nd game. No doubt if a 3rd was offered, they’d have accepted. I’d trade Bernal or Moss for him. 

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.