Should we go after Josh Jacobs?

BuffaloBills1998

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I would rather spend the cap dollars on the Oline or retaining defensive talent. Jacobs is a beast but I think James Cook is a ready to roll player and the team can bring back Hines as a return and third down back. You then could bring in a pure back up to platoon with Cook (hopefully Motor if his number is reasonable) on the cheap.

It is hard to get quality OL in free agency. McDermott needs to draft OL early and often. Do notice that I said McDermott, not Beane.

• Disagree 1

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

Singletary should be gone.  Don't give RBs big money.  That's why Cook was drafted.  Do it all over again in a couple years.

Remember Singletary was mentored by Gore who made a nice career on nfl and I don't even recall if he ever had one of the bigger rb contracts at any point in his career.  It will come down to if Singletary wants to cash in as much as he can or is he looking to play until his game falls off. Why I think he bulked up partially to be better as a blocker for Josh as well be more fit taking the hits as rb.

4 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

He looks/sounds fed up with the raiders. Some might call it a stretch but after watching this I think he can’t wait to get out. Also I don’t think we’re resigning Singletary 

Zero percent chance in my opinion they go after Jacobs.  Can’t afford to pay a RB what he will get, especially with major decisions at Safety and Edmunds contracts to go along with with rebuilding OL and adding another receiver too.  

You don’t pay a QB a quarter of a billion and then also pay to dollar for a RB, it’s a bad use of capital.  

Jacobs is a great player, but we can’t pursue him.  

35 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I’m fine with the backs now but I want Hunter Renfrow of all the players on that offense to bad he’s got another year on that offense 

Nah he’s got a lot of dropped passes at crucial times as well as fumbles

15 minutes ago, Malazan said:

not picking up his 5th year was sure an interesting strategy

He was inconsistent and was getting injured a lot. I understood why they didn’t pick up his 5 year but I’m sure they’re regretting it 110 percent

4 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Allen has already said he’ll restructure his contract, poyer is older and is injury prone now and I think most on here would agree that Edmunds isn’t worth paying big bucks to keep him around

I would contend that Edmunds is the most important player to extend of those due for a new deal.  Ed Oliver would be 2nd on that list.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I would rather spend the cap dollars on the Oline or retaining defensive talent. Jacobs is a beast but I think James Cook is a ready to roll player and the team can bring back Hines as a return and third down back. You then could bring in a pure back up to platoon with Cook (hopefully Motor if his number is reasonable) on the cheap.

Cook is the change of pace speed back.  Motor is the main mover. ( Think Thurman Thomas and Ken Davis)

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RunninRebel37 said:

At the start of season he was. They declined 5th year option, drafted Zameer White in 4th round, and signed Abdullah - all while they had Kenyan Drake too (who was paid a bunch the year before). live in Vegas and all they talked about was rotation/committee but ended up riding him after that 2nd game. No doubt if a 3rd was offered, they’d have accepted. I’d trade Bernal or Moss for him. 

Moss wasn't worth anything, don't know who Bernal is.  Would the Raiders really have wanted Moss?

1 hour ago, bigK14094 said:

Cook is the change of pace speed back.  Motor is the main mover. ( Think Thurman Thomas and Ken Davis)

I don’t think that’s a fair comparison.  Kenneth Davis was nothing like James Cook.  Change of pace in that they’re/were both the backup RB?  Okay.  Jimbo Cook can be a RB1, and has elite game changing skills/attributes.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, dma0034 said:

He is having a great year... doubt he continues doing that... he is a good not great back

In today's NFL he is a very very good back.  But we can't afford to pay big money to a RB.  Need to try and resign Poyer and Edmunds.  Cook should be excellent next year.  And hopefully we can resign Singletary w a modest contract and maybe keep Hines.  And nothing wrong with drafting a bigger back who has some upside.  

• Like (+1) 1

An RB is a poor use of the money that would cost us.

Jacobs is a damn good back, but they might have a bit of a hard time signing Singletary, much less Jacobs.

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Bills will resign Singletary if he is asking for a reasonable amount.

Yeah, and this year there are going to be a lot of backs available roughly in Singletary's tier. I love Singletary for this team and my guess is he'll be available at a pretty reasonable rate and happy to return if their offer is fairly competitive.

Edited by Thurman#1

4 hours ago, dma0034 said:

And? Singletary averages more per rush then he does (career). Jacobs last two years has averaged 4 yards a carry and 3.9 years a carry. He is doing this behind a better O-Line in Vegas too.

This is his first great year (5 yards a carry) and his other good season was his rookie year. Don't confuse volume with productivity

productivity is measured over a season.  In  4 years Jacobs has has one season under 1000.  Singletary, even with 2 17  game seasons is unlucky to get his first  over 1000

• Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

productivity is measured over a season.  In  4 years Jacobs has has one season under 1000.  Singletary, even with 2 17  game seasons is unlucky to get his first  over 1000

Because he gets more carries than Singletary? He wouldn't get the same amount of carries in Buffalo. This isn't a talk about Fantasy Football... Average per carry means more than season total.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

Because he gets more carries than Singletary? He wouldn't get the same amount of carries in Buffalo. This isn't a talk about Fantasy Football... Average per carry means more than season total.

This.  Multiply Jacobs' carries by Singletary's YPC and Devin has more yardage than Jacobs every but this one.

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I don’t think that’s a fair comparison.  Kenneth Davis was nothing like James Cook.  Change of pace in that they’re/were both the backup RB?  Okay.  Jimbo Cook can be a RB1, and has elite game changing skills/attributes.

Cook can't run inside for a short couple of yards.  Not a goal line back.  Sorry, can't sell that idea.

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, bigK14094 said:

Cook can't run inside for a short couple of yards.  Not a goal line back.  Sorry, can't sell that idea.

How do you know he can’t run inside in GL/short yardage situations?  He can do just about everything else.  Also, Josh Allen is our short yardage back.  Have you been watching the games?  Clearly they’ll need to add depth, but I think James Cook is a legit 3 down back.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, dma0034 said:

And? Singletary averages more per rush then he does (career). Jacobs last two years has averaged 4 yards a carry and 3.9 years a carry. He is doing this behind a better O-Line in Vegas too.

This is his first great year (5 yards a carry) and his other good season was his rookie year. Don't confuse volume with productivity

I know you're not suggesting that Devin Singletary is better than Josh Jacobs.

What do you think Singletary would average in Vegas vs Jacobs here in Buffalo with Josh as his QB?

I knew I'd see these same tired comments.  Explore the MVP thread and all you see is excuses, how Hurts has a better team around him and how Josh has to do everything.  Then someone suggest upgrading a position that would help the team and Allen and everyone shoots it down.

It's lunacy. 

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

8 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

He looks/sounds fed up with the raiders. Some might call it a stretch but after watching this I think he can’t wait to get out. Also I don’t think we’re resigning Singletary 

Singletary can play.  Cook can play.  Gotta give them the ball though.  6-7 carries ain’t gonna get the best out any RB.   Don’t be shocked if Motor is back. Won’t cost a lot.   I like Jacobs.  I think he’ll cost a bit more than Moror will.

8 hours ago, StHustle said:

Just draft one in the late 2nd or 3rd like we always do 🤷🏾‍♂️ can’t afford to pay another one after we spent on Hines. Too many other more important players to take care of right now.

Hines might get flipped before/during the draft as part of a trade.   It doesn’t appear Dorsey will use him as a RB much.   Question is if they wanted to wait until next season to fully integrate him.   But I can’t see how that makes sense.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Singletary can play.  Cook can play.  Gotta give them the ball though.  6-7 carries ain’t gonna get the best out any RB.   Don’t be shocked if Motor is back. Won’t cost a lot.   I like Jacobs.  I think he’ll cost a bit more than Moror will.

Hines might get flipped before/during the draft as part of a trade.   It doesn’t appear Dorsey will use him as a RB much.   Question is if they wanted to wait until next season to fully integrate him.   But I can’t see how that makes sense.  

Depends if he wants to be on a contender. Not all but some players will take a pay cut to be on a contender just because they want to win. Jacobs knows he ain’t winning ***** in LV

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Depends if he wants to be on a contender. Not all but some players will take a pay cut to be on a contender just because they want to win. Jacobs knows he ain’t winning ***** in LV

He’s too young to be taking pay cuts .  He won’t get a (relatively) big contract as it is  compared to his peers at other positions.   He needs to maximize while he can.  This next contract is that chance.     

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

He doesn’t get the same volume of carries game in and game out like Jacobs.  Neither does Cook.

1 hour ago, dma0034 said:

Because he’s a feature back.  You know, he runs all game.

Singletary is a situational back.  11 carries a game type. 

Anyway.  I wasn’t agreeing the Bills should obtain him so your argument is moot.  I was responding to the the claim he isn’t a top RB.  He obviously is.  You would take him straight up trade for Singletary right now and no one here would be moaning over the running game to help Josh

23 minutes ago, purple haze said:

He’s too young to be taking pay cuts .  He won’t get a (relatively) big contract as it is  compared to his peers at other positions.   He needs to maximize while he can.  This next contract is that chance.     

He doesn’t get the same volume of carries game in and game out like Jacobs.  Neither does Cook.

see above 

6 hours ago, RunninRebel37 said:

I think Jacobs is an excellent back when healthy, but that’s no guarantee. Between him , Hunt, and Miles Sanders (similar backs at end of their contracts) I like Sanders the most for the offense, but he’s most similar to Cook. Between Jacobs and Hunt, I’d take Jacobs but he might be most expensive.

Would y’all take Jacobs on a 4 year/ 18-20 mil total? 

He is going to get double that.

9 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Should have traded for him before deadline,  would have made Allen's job so much easier.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

While casting dispersions on Devin seems to be a hobby around here, he’s a consistent producer of around 1000 yards from scrimmage per season at about 5 TDs per touch. He rarely is TFLd and usually makes the first guy miss. 

I was banging the drum for this before the trade deadline.  I love Jacobs...probably my favorite non-Bills player in the league right now.  That said though, it doesn't seem as necessary a move as it did a few months ago.  He will command a large contract, and he can't help us out this season. The emergence of Singletary and Cook has been a pleasant surprise.

Why are some people pretending his cost is not a major part of getting him on our team? Talentwise Jacobs is impressive and I want him but I don't think we are able to offer him near what he can get on the open market. Money should be spent on OL more than RB, especially since I think Cook is gonna be good and Singletary can be brought back cheap.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I like him I do- he has an element to his game that defenses have to plan around but we have way to many holes to try and bring him here- we need oline and WR help long before we bring in yet another RB. Especially with what Cook has shown as the season progresses - Hines will be back up unless Singletary takes a very friendly deal

10 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

I think Motor and Cook are very complimentary.  If Singletary left next year I'd love to see someone with some more thump and I'm not talking about another 5'10" 210 pound "power" back.  I would like to see them draft a back that's over 225 with a little bit of wiggle so Josh isn't the only short yardage option.

YES.   An Aj Dillon type back.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.