Sean McDermott - master of the saying nothing

Dan Darragh

When you watch Sean's press conferences and sideline interviews, if you actually listen to what he says he seems to have mastered the art of the nonanswer.  Now that I've started paying attention to it I find it pretty funny.

Here's Laura Okmin's sideline interview with Sean after the first quarter of the Miami game:

• Laura: Mostert with over 100 yards.  How do you stop the run?
  • Sean: We gotta do a better job, playing with gap integrity, getting to the ball and tackling.
  • Laura: I know you weren’t happy with that penalty right now. Big thing you were talking about, cleaning up penalties, fundamentals.  How do you feel right now about that?
  • Sean: Oh, we gotta do a better job obviously here.
  • Laura: And offensively, Sean, you weren’t out there long but enough for Morris to get his first touchdown. Key to that drive to keep doing to keep that momentum going?
  • Sean: I just think get into a rhythm offensively helps us.

Frankly I love it.  I'd prefer this to Mike McDaniel who talked so much between periods that they had to put him in a little box at the corner of the screen se we could see the actual game. Sean gives up nothing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 5

44 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

The NFL requiring coaches and players to talk to the media is dumb. 98% of the time it's just bull coach speak that people over analyze and lose their minds over.  

especially during the games now. Those sideline interviews are such useless interviews. McDermott gives one-word answers. Mike McDaniel spat out a bunch of gibberish that no one understood. Just let these guys coach. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Good coaches say virtually nothing to reporters, the Bills have professionals running the show now, I do agree with the OP, it’s kind of funny, and a learning opportunity, 😁

• Like (+1) 1

I don't mind his press conferences.  Not sure what he is supposed to say about stopping the run game, he said play with gap integrity and tackle better...both are true.

He rarely calls players to the carpet unless its warranted but when he does he does it respectfully.   He does what a head coach is supposed to, he puts the blame on his shoulders first.

Maybe not flashy, but he realizes how hard the NFL is.  He doesn't give up roster plans, schemes, or try to give the other team bulletin board material.  All good things.  He has also taught his players the same.   Love the way Coach goes about his business.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I don't mind his press conferences.  Not sure what he is supposed to say about stopping the run game, he said play with gap integrity and tackle better...both are true.

He rarely calls players to the carpet unless its warranted but when he does he does it respectfully.   He does what a head coach is supposed to, he puts the blame on his shoulders first.

Maybe not flashy, but he realizes how hard the NFL is.  He doesn't give up roster plans, schemes, or try to give the other team bulletin board material.  All good things.  He has also taught his players the same.   Love the way Coach goes about his business.

You mean other than that time he blamed "execution" to hide from the fact his cowardice led to that disaster in KC 11 months ago?

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Yah, but he's the best clapper in the league 

An old technique to keep someone from reaching for their wallet...🤔

I worked with a heavy industrial vehicle mechanic who had a separate shop onsite, with its own office and storeroom.  It's also where Andy parked his impressive roll cab toolbox.  Anyone entering there was under orders from Andy to be clapping the entire time. 😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
The 'Andy' story. 😁
  • Haha (+1) 1

I'm proud to say that - as a family - we've now gotten my 90-year-old Mom to take a rabid interest in the Bills.  And I mean RABID.  Her interest increases every season, and she looks great in the custom "MOM 90" jersey we bought her last year.

The reason I bring it up is a comment she made last year about the "Sean McDermott Show" (or whatever it's called) on local news a day or two before the game.  She got all excited that there was going to be some Bills discussion, some inside tidbits, some inkling about game-planning for the upcoming contest.

Nothing.  She called me after it was over and said "The man said nothing.  I didn't get anything out of that interview.  He spoke for 30 minutes and didn't say a thing."  That's right, Mom.  That's what he's paid to do in these interviews.  And anyone expecting anything different is in for a big disappointment.

Related note - I'm totally with those who find sideline reporters and their interviews to be pointless.  The only exceptions are the few times they actually bring an update on a recent (in-game) injury.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

McD trying to get Josh to play win-lose, middle outcome before halftime and Josh is playing win-win, high risk/high reward... Thank God it worked for him or McD would have deflated Josh's tires! 

He alluded to that after the game.

Both McD & Josh can learn from each other and meet in the middle. 

That's like the 4th time Josh moved to right and threw across his body for a successful TD. NOT sure how many more times that will work without giving it a rest for a while. YET, Josh is probably the only one with the physical attributes to make that throw successful.

4 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

You mean other than that time he blamed "execution" to hide from the fact his cowardice led to that disaster in KC 11 months ago?

McD doesn't see his flaws. He's the coach, leader, the process is to follow HIS plan.

30 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

If you ever watch his GMFB spots, he doesnt even answer those questions! I laugh because he wouldnt even give them an answer on how he likes his wings 😄

Did see that. ✔️😂 The location was closest to home, but I think he just wants to blend in on the Wings question, because it’s such a big staple in Buffalo.

Allen did answer that question.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Beach said:

all the coaches do it, i dont know why they keep doing the interviews

Same with the GM's. When they ask Beane questions when it comes to the draft/FA. He rambles on like he is giving a detailed answer. In reality he says nothing. That is the way it should be. Teams aren't going to announce what they are really planning to do.

The end of quarter coach interviews are the most pointless addition to NFL coverage in my time watching the game. Just ahead of Gene Steratore. 

35 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

You missed the bit where he said "it starts with me" then?

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think it is a case of dumb questions, honestly. What is he supposed to say?

He gives obvious rational answers to those questions too . He by now knows how to deal with the media .  He answers the question quickly honestly and keeps it moving.  Talking to media is part of his job description but I'm guessing least favorite part.

Most of these sideline interviews during the game are pretty stupid honestly.  They wanna grab someone at the half and talk to them I can understand but taking a tv timeout to grab the coach in the middle of the game and ask questions that are going to be asked post game anyways is getting less by trying to do more.

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

especially during the games now. Those sideline interviews are such useless interviews. McDermott gives one-word answers. Mike McDaniel spat out a bunch of gibberish that no one understood. Just let these guys coach. 

I think these interviews are relics of an earlier age in sports-watching. 

In the information/data overload age we’re currently in, the sideline interview offers no new info or insight. 

What would it be replaced with?

5 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

When you watch Sean's press conferences and sideline interviews, if you actually listen to what he says he seems to have mastered the art of the nonanswer.  Now that I've started paying attention to it I find it pretty funny.

Here's Laura Okmin's sideline interview with Sean after the first quarter of the Miami game:

• Laura: Mostert with over 100 yards.  How do you stop the run?
  • Sean: We gotta do a better job, playing with gap integrity, getting to the ball and tackling.
  • Laura: I know you weren’t happy with that penalty right now. Big thing you were talking about, cleaning up penalties, fundamentals.  How do you feel right now about that?
  • Sean: Oh, we gotta do a better job obviously here.
  • Laura: And offensively, Sean, you weren’t out there long but enough for Morris to get his first touchdown. Key to that drive to keep doing to keep that momentum going?
  • Sean: I just think get into a rhythm offensively helps us.

Frankly I love it.  I'd prefer this to Mike McDaniel who talked so much between periods that they had to put him in a little box at the corner of the screen se we could see the actual game. Sean gives up nothing.

It's just so smart.  If there's one page to take from the book of Belichick, it's to use a lot of words whilst telling the media nothing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

It's just so smart.  If there's one page to take from the book of Belichick, it's to use a lot of words whilst telling the media nothing.

Belichick just tries to make the media feel so uncomfortable and stupid that they will stop trying to ask any questions. His slow, monotone mumbles are hard to sit through.

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

Belichick just tries to make the media feel so uncomfortable and stupid that they will stop trying to ask any questions. His slow, monotone mumbles are hard to sit through.

I know I am an outlier, but I have always loved Belichick's interactions with the press.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.