How is Josh Allen's Health Actually?

Wizard

Every player and team is banged up with nicks, bruises, and playing hurt to some degree.

The last 6 or so weeks we have seen a "good" but not the "great" Josh Allen we are accustomed to seeing the past two seasons. 

How is his health actually?  Do we have any update on progression with the UCL injury? 

I ask because I feel some part of the board feels the offense has fallen off the cliff and is now a middle-of-the-pack offense. That opinion definitely has some merit.

Another group of posters feel that Allen is improving each week, but he has not had that MVP -type game in awhile and preach patience.

Other posters remind us to relax and recognize the team is winning despite injuries and Allen's recent stretch of mortal level play. The team is winning though it is not always pretty.

Anyone know anything about UCL injuries? What is a reasonable expectation for Allen's performance going forward? Is the offense the past 6 weeks what the Bills will likely be until Allen has an offseason of recovery and Dorsey a full season as the OC?

Go Bills!

Edited by Wizard
  • Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Every player and team is banged up with nicks, bruises, and playing hurt to some degree.

The last 6 or so weeks we have seen a "good" but not the "great" Josh Allen we are accustomed to seeing the past two seasons. 

How is his health actually?  Do we have any update on progression with the UCL injury? 

I ask because I feel some part of the board feels the offense has fallen off the cliff and is now a middle-of-the-pack offense. That opinion definitely has some merit.

Another group of posters feel that Allen is improving each week, but he has not had that MVP -type game in awhile and preach patience.

Other posters remind us to relax and recognize the team is winning despite injuries and Allen's recent stretch of mortal level play. The team is winning though it is not always pretty.

Anyone know anything about UCL injuries? What the reasonable expectation is for Allen's performance going forward? Is the offense the past 6 weeks what the Bills will likely be until Allen has an offseason of recovery and Dorsey a full season as the OC?

Go Bills!

Bottom line: Josh Allen has already charted his own path so I think we know nothin’ about what’s going on and what his prognosis is.

I think the best info that we have is from Carson Palmer.  He talked about when he tore his UCL, it didn’t hurt and he finished the game, but the next week in practice some of his balls would just drop and become dirt balls.  Not every ball, he said every 3rd or so just wouldn’t go where he wanted.  He rested and scar tissue formed.  Josh Allen had a less severe tear his rookie season and was out 5 weeks (4 games plus a bye I think), and was wearing a brace and seeming kinda tentative a couple weeks more.

Josh Allen hasn’t rested.  He got a PRP injection (confirmed by Josh) which normally take a couple weeks to start working.  I think he’s somewhat hesitant and while he says he doesn’t feel it during a game, it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s pretty sore (and maybe moving backwards in healing) after games where he’s throwing 40+ passes like Minn or Detroit.   I think the bigger effect may be limited practice during the week - he isn’t going on the injury report as limited, but he said in an interview it does limit how much he throws.  Maybe he doesn’t throw for guys after practice, or repeat a throw several times to get it right.

The one thing I know is that the human body can flout established medical protocol and show a remarkable ability to heal while being used - there are cases of long distance hikers, say, who injure an ankle and keep hiking, and gradually get better while hiking every day carrying a heavy pack while medical advice would say a month or 6 weeks of rest is indicated.  It takes longer but eventually the healing is as good or better

WE’re at 5 weeks.  My guess would be that he’ll start to feel better in a couple more weeks (6 or 7) but that’s only a guess.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This is nothing other than a pure hunch but I think his elbow is more hurt than we know. I wonder if it’s something where they know he’s gonna need a procedure and that’s kind of affecting the mental potion a bit.

Like I said, this is based on nothing whatsoever except a post game edible and a bourbon nightcap 😂.

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Said it doesn’t even bother him on game day . 

Did he really say that? If so, it’s definitely affecting him. 🤔

He may well still be "not fully right" but his play can't be explained simply by saying "he's hurt."

Some of it has nothing to do with a throwing elbow, like reading defenses pre-snap, good decision making, and focusing on proper footwork and throwing dynamics.  I just think he has regressed into a slump that has lasted a while now.  The elbow injury surely didn't help, but I don't think that's the full story.  

The trick is for him to figure it out and come out of it in time for the playoffs.

If he plays like this in the playoffs, we won't go very far.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, El Guapo said:

I think he’s going to have to have surgery on the elbow after the season. He is not pushing the ball down the field like he usually does. He will if he has to, but he looks hesitant to do it. I hope I’m wrong, but something seems off. 

He literally threw a bomb to Brown on the first possession and also completed one to Diggs vs NE but it was called back for a hold. Do people watch the games? And do people watxh what NE and The Jets were doing in their secondary?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Bottom line is I think the drops and questionable strategy have been bigger factors than Josh’s UCL. Not much they can do about it but manage it anyway. He says it’s not an issue on game days.

Yes, on this he actually hasn’t been that far off on throwing the ball like he usually is they were receivers today that were hitting the ball with flat hands and not catching it

23 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The better questions are how many drops were there today and what should have been his completion percentage?

So many drops! Josh is the man and won’t say anything but you could see it on his face after McKenzie dropped his 3rd or maybe it was his 4th pass. I love our team but it’s astounding how many times they drop catchable balls that kill drives. Don’t get me wrong McKenzie is great with the ball in his hands, Gabe may be the best deep ball receiver in the league and Knox has made big plays as well but all 3 are inconsistent with routine catches. They make it to where we have to rely on Superman to take the game into his own hands because outside of Diggs he can’t trust anyone else in the clutch. I’m sure Beane sees this too and going to find some help in the off-season if they can’t take the next step in their development. I love our bills and believe we have the best team in the NFL but it would be nice to throttle teams again like we did early on and we need the playmakers to step up to make it happen. Go bills 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He literally threw a bomb to Brown on the first possession and also completed one to Diggs vs NE but it was called back for a hold. Do people watch the games? And do people watxh what NE and The Jets were doing in their secondary?

They don't.  They B word and complain that the #1 seed team isnt perfect.  Bunch of babies 👶 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Anyone know anything about UCL injuries? What the reasonable expectation is for Allen's performance going forward? Is the offense the past 6 weeks what the Bills will likely be until Allen has an offseason of recovery and Dorsey a full season as the OC?

Go Bills!

Josh is not fully healthy but until that elbow injury is fully healed, his mission is to use his legs and find open receivers when he’s flushed,but most importantly don’t have any turnovers. Dorsey will run it more against certain teams, but Josh is showing discipline and realizing it’s ok to punt instead of trying to do to much with low percentage throws. In windy conditions, let’s rely on our defense more. The Bills are finding different ways to win..  

• Like (+1) 1

This thread is all speculation. Nobody here knows JA’s situation except him and the team. As for his recent performances, I think the expectations are a bit unrealistic. If JA doesn’t throw for over 300 and 4 tds something is wrong with him. This is the NFL dude, not madden. The Bills are winning. Enjoy it. And everything will work itself out. Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wizard said:

Anyone know anything about UCL injuries? What is a reasonable expectation for Allen's performance going forward? Is the offense the past 6 weeks what the Bills will likely be until Allen has an offseason of recovery and Dorsey a full season as the OC?

Go Bills!

Allen said he doesn’t feel it on game day.

Where is the evidence that the arm is hurting? 

He’s running around, hurdling people, getting hit, throwing sideline ropes to Gabe. 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Some of it has nothing to do with a throwing elbow, like reading defenses pre-snap, good decision making, and focusing on proper footwork and throwing dynamics.

He's had no issues with any of this stuff since the last 2 minutes of the 1st half of the Cleveland game. The offense as a whole has been in a slump for a few games but Allen is not anywhere near the top of the list of reasons why. In fact he's the main reason we're scoring points at all.

• Agree 1

Allen's worst game of the season was the one he injured the UCL on the second to last play of the game. The UCL could be bothering him still but it is not necessarily the reason for his slump. And at any rate, he has at least played much better since Thanksgiving on-ward. 

Today's game was once again against, likely, the best defense the Bills will face all season. And in terrible weather for at least half the game. Opponent and circumstances included it was a plus performance from Allen.

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Bottom line is I think the drops and questionable strategy have been bigger factors than Josh’s UCL. Not much they can do about it but manage it anyway. He says it’s not an issue on game days.

How much has coaching strategy adjusted BECAUSE of joshes UCL?

McKenzie is the absolute worst he lets josh down time and time and time again i am sick of that guy. He could with hand offs like jet sweep and reverse but he cant catch worth anything.

Id like to see anyone else out there but him. 

1 minute ago, BillsFan692 said:

How much has coaching strategy adjusted BECAUSE of joshes UCL?

McKenzie is the absolute worst he lets josh down time and time and time again i am sick of that guy. He could with hand offs like jet sweep and reverse but he cant catch worth anything.

Id like to see anyone else out there but him. 

In 2018 he hurt his UCL, he went out of the game and missed the next four games, I think there was a bye week in there so a total of 5 weeks.

This year he hurts the UCL on November 6th and doesn’t miss any games. He’s played 5 more games since that injury. 

You’re getting down to questions like do ligaments heal or do they just scar tissue over? 

Josh started looking off in the 4th quarter of the Green Bay game.  I think maybe his UCL started bothering then.  But whether it did or didn't doesn't matter much.  I just want to know when he'll get better.  

Didn't he say somewhere that the docs wanted him to rest for 2-4 weeks?   By not resting, he's going to - potentially - prolong the injury.

But Romo seemed confident that Josh would return to form in the very near future.  Does Romo talk with Josh?  Does he know things about Josh's recovery that the rest of us don't?

24 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Josh started looking off in the 4th quarter of the Green Bay game.  I think maybe his UCL started bothering then.  But whether it did or didn't doesn't matter much.  I just want to know when he'll get better.  

Didn't he say somewhere that the docs wanted him to rest for 2-4 weeks?   By not resting, he's going to - potentially - prolong the injury.

But Romo seemed confident that Josh would return to form in the very near future.  Does Romo talk with Josh?  Does he know things about Josh's recovery that the rest of us don't?

Josh just looks like josh to me you guys expect too much he has a lot of guys around him dropping balls and coaches who have neutered him over the past 3 weeks.

He isnt taking as much chances and hes gun shy on throws because the coaches done told his ass NO MORE TURNOVERS.

Classic mcdermott ball really. 

Hopefully the coaches will instead try to give him back some reigns and some confidence and unleash "the beast" for the playoffs. Allen at his best when the coaches are giving him the freedom to cook

You cant cry about turn overs forever the coaches on this team are brutal sometimes, then again they the best we had in a long time so we should probably all just shut up and enjoy the josh allen experience lol

The weather was really sloppy and Josh made most of his throws. I know Josh has looked “off” since the first Jets game but I think it’s hard to tell from this game if Josh is healthy or hurt since it may have been the weather throwing his game off. 

I would like to see how Josh looks in a game with better conditions but that may not happen the rest of the way with two games in Buffalo and the other two games being in Chicago and Cincinnati.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.