How is Josh Allen's Health Actually?

Wizard

Every player and team is banged up with nicks, bruises, and playing hurt to some degree.

The last 6 or so weeks we have seen a "good" but not the "great" Josh Allen we are accustomed to seeing the past two seasons. 

How is his health actually?  Do we have any update on progression with the UCL injury? 

I ask because I feel some part of the board feels the offense has fallen off the cliff and is now a middle-of-the-pack offense. That opinion definitely has some merit.

Another group of posters feel that Allen is improving each week, but he has not had that MVP -type game in awhile and preach patience.

Other posters remind us to relax and recognize the team is winning despite injuries and Allen's recent stretch of mortal level play. The team is winning though it is not always pretty.

Anyone know anything about UCL injuries? What is a reasonable expectation for Allen's performance going forward? Is the offense the past 6 weeks what the Bills will likely be until Allen has an offseason of recovery and Dorsey a full season as the OC?

Go Bills!

Edited by Wizard
  • Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Every player and team is banged up with nicks, bruises, and playing hurt to some degree.

The last 6 or so weeks we have seen a "good" but not the "great" Josh Allen we are accustomed to seeing the past two seasons. 

How is his health actually?  Do we have any update on progression with the UCL injury? 

I ask because I feel some part of the board feels the offense has fallen off the cliff and is now a middle-of-the-pack offense. That opinion definitely has some merit.

Another group of posters feel that Allen is improving each week, but he has not had that MVP -type game in awhile and preach patience.

Other posters remind us to relax and recognize the team is winning despite injuries and Allen's recent stretch of mortal level play. The team is winning though it is not always pretty.

Anyone know anything about UCL injuries? What the reasonable expectation is for Allen's performance going forward? Is the offense the past 6 weeks what the Bills will likely be until Allen has an offseason of recovery and Dorsey a full season as the OC?

Go Bills!

Bottom line: Josh Allen has already charted his own path so I think we know nothin’ about what’s going on and what his prognosis is.

I think the best info that we have is from Carson Palmer.  He talked about when he tore his UCL, it didn’t hurt and he finished the game, but the next week in practice some of his balls would just drop and become dirt balls.  Not every ball, he said every 3rd or so just wouldn’t go where he wanted.  He rested and scar tissue formed.  Josh Allen had a less severe tear his rookie season and was out 5 weeks (4 games plus a bye I think), and was wearing a brace and seeming kinda tentative a couple weeks more.

Josh Allen hasn’t rested.  He got a PRP injection (confirmed by Josh) which normally take a couple weeks to start working.  I think he’s somewhat hesitant and while he says he doesn’t feel it during a game, it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s pretty sore (and maybe moving backwards in healing) after games where he’s throwing 40+ passes like Minn or Detroit.   I think the bigger effect may be limited practice during the week - he isn’t going on the injury report as limited, but he said in an interview it does limit how much he throws.  Maybe he doesn’t throw for guys after practice, or repeat a throw several times to get it right.

The one thing I know is that the human body can flout established medical protocol and show a remarkable ability to heal while being used - there are cases of long distance hikers, say, who injure an ankle and keep hiking, and gradually get better while hiking every day carrying a heavy pack while medical advice would say a month or 6 weeks of rest is indicated.  It takes longer but eventually the healing is as good or better

WE’re at 5 weeks.  My guess would be that he’ll start to feel better in a couple more weeks (6 or 7) but that’s only a guess.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This is nothing other than a pure hunch but I think his elbow is more hurt than we know. I wonder if it’s something where they know he’s gonna need a procedure and that’s kind of affecting the mental potion a bit.

Like I said, this is based on nothing whatsoever except a post game edible and a bourbon nightcap 😂.

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Said it doesn’t even bother him on game day . 

Did he really say that? If so, it’s definitely affecting him. 🤔

He may well still be "not fully right" but his play can't be explained simply by saying "he's hurt."

Some of it has nothing to do with a throwing elbow, like reading defenses pre-snap, good decision making, and focusing on proper footwork and throwing dynamics.  I just think he has regressed into a slump that has lasted a while now.  The elbow injury surely didn't help, but I don't think that's the full story.  

The trick is for him to figure it out and come out of it in time for the playoffs.

If he plays like this in the playoffs, we won't go very far.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, El Guapo said:

I think he’s going to have to have surgery on the elbow after the season. He is not pushing the ball down the field like he usually does. He will if he has to, but he looks hesitant to do it. I hope I’m wrong, but something seems off. 

He literally threw a bomb to Brown on the first possession and also completed one to Diggs vs NE but it was called back for a hold. Do people watch the games? And do people watxh what NE and The Jets were doing in their secondary?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.