Groot musings

Simon

tl;dr

I am Von

Rousseau was clearly not healthy tonight and spent 90% of the game holding an edge and protecting himself.

Then later in crunch time he started sticking that foot in the ground and getting after people for real.

It was the sort of game you occasionally see from another veteran DE that recently entered the Bills locker room.

• Like (+1) 8

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Groot might be one of the best 4-3 DEs in terms of run defense.  He’s stout.

He helped set the tone in the run game early tonight.   He's a great tackler.   Tied for the NFL lead in run stops by a DL last season........as a rookie.......in a rotational system.

• Like (+1) 6

56 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Could have gotten 2 or 3 sacks tonight...

Bills DEs other than Miller have a knack for getting more almost sacks and "how the hell did he escape??" plays than any team I have ever seen.

Yeah, there was the one play where it seemed like the whole DL had at least one shot as Jones kept scrambling for what seemed way over 10 seconds and nobody got him.  That was the play where Michaels said Phillips was down as they went to break.  Phillips was probably exhausted from the amount of running he did on that play.

• Like (+1) 1

First Pats offensive play of the game was about to be a big run for a 1st down and more, and immediately Rousseau reminded us all why we missed him getting his big paws on the RB and taking him down after a measley two yards. Three plays later they have to punt. It was a tone-setting play and it was one of many that he single handedly wrecked.

• Like (+1) 8

The play second half where he saw something in the protection, picked his head up communicated to the outside of him - which I imagine was "you guys look after the edge, I'm going in" and then stunted and almost got home but did enough on 3rd down to force and incompletion was real high level stuff. I am convinced he callee that stunt himself based on what he had seen. Kid is a hell of a player, and yes, we miss Von's closing ability but with Oliver and Groot playing as they are it needn't spell disaster.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, boyst said:

Talked to a wake trainer a few months ago who promised good things to come from him and that he's not hit the ceiling at all. Last year he was too big. Bills want him 270ish

That's interesting.  I see some Mario Williams in Groot.  But Mario probably played about 15 to 20 pounds heavier than 270.  The Bills must sense some hidden athleticism in Groot.  

And, I agree with the sense here that the kid is special now and is going to be even more special down the road.  

8 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He’s the best player on that defense IMO and he’s going to get a monster contract in a few years - like $150M type contract.  He’s an absolute game wrecker.  I could not be higher on him .

Agree.  He was the best D lineman tonight.  Was really great to see all the young D Line studs own the line of scrimmage

16 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

Not to hijack, but where was Ed Oliver, esp after that monster game?  

There were some significant line stunts going on the entire game.  I haven’t watched the All-22 but I think Ed played a big role in some of those middle pressures using the stunts.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, boyst said:

Talked to a wake trainer a few months ago who promised good things to come from him and that he's not hit the ceiling at all. Last year he was too big. Bills want him 270ish

Dude is still raw...he didn't even play in the year he got drafted in college and the year before that he was a raw freshman who simply dominated with athleticism. Unlimited potential...and Von knows it.

42 minutes ago, AmishRifle said:

There were some significant line stunts going on the entire game.  I haven’t watched the All-22 but I think Ed played a big role in some of those middle pressures using the stunts.

I swear I can't remember watching another team have as many "almost sacks" that make you wonder "How did the QB escape?!?!?" over the last 5 years as the Bills have had...every game it seems they have 3 or 4 that other teams would get.  Literally felt the only reason AJE got that sack last night was Mac Jones basically ran right into him and forced him to sack him.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Bills DEs other than Miller have a knack for getting more almost sacks and "how the hell did he escape??" plays than any team I have ever seen.

Jones was also a magician at escaping pressure last night!

However, unlike Lamar Jackson, he didn’t really try any actual runs past the LOS.

And unlike Mahomes and Jacoby Brissett against us, his passing under pressure sucked bigtime :)

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Simon said:

tl;dr

I am Von

Rousseau was clearly not healthy tonight and spent 90% of the game holding an edge and protecting himself.

Then later in crunch time he started sticking that foot in the ground and getting after people for real.

It was the sort of game you occasionally see from another veteran DE that recently entered the Bills locker room.

I thought something similar.  He turned it up a notch in the fourth quarter.  Had a couple of amazing bull rushes, like Miller.   

He still needs to learn to finish like Miller does, but other than that, he's a force when he's on the field.   The deflection of that pass to the right flat was a combination of his exceptional length and great eye-hand coordination.   

10 hours ago, Simon said:

tl;dr

I am Von

Dead on.  Thought i was the only one that noticed the way Miller plays.  That’s who he is learning from.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I swear I can't remember watching another team have as many "almost sacks" that make you wonder "How did the QB escape?!?!?" over the last 5 years as the Bills have had...every game it seems they have 3 or 4 that other teams would get.  Literally felt the only reason AJE got that sack last night was Mac Jones basically ran right into him and forced him to sack him.

I don’t get it either.  It has to be coaching.  Every one of our D-lineman seem to not be able to tackle the QB except for Von.  It’s almost like they are overly concerned with keeping contain or something and this causes them to take weird angles and not go for the tackle.  It’s quite odd.

3 minutes ago, AmishRifle said:

I don’t get it either.  It has to be coaching.  Every one of our D-lineman seem to not be able to tackle the QB except for Von.  It’s almost like they are overly concerned with keeping contain or something and this causes them to take weird angles and not go for the tackle.  It’s quite odd.

They also dive at the QB a lot when it looks like they would be better off just going in for a normal upright tackle attempt

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

That's interesting.  I see some Mario Williams in Groot.  But Mario probably played about 15 to 20 pounds heavier than 270.  The Bills must sense some hidden athleticism in Groot.  

And, I agree with the sense here that the kid is special now and is going to be even more special down the road.  

Very Mario- esque, love to see it. 

12 hours ago, Big Turk said:

it's like the ghost of Jerry Hughes still lingers........😂

We always hear about how line play requires people to get low, to get leverage against their opponent.  Usually that's true.  So how can Groot be as good as he obviously is against the run, when he's so tall?

The Bills have assembled a defense of unicorns, guys with special skills or attributes.  Either huge space-eating bodies like Edmunds and Groot, or quickness and strength like Oliver, or speed and anticipation like Milano, or all of the above for Dr Poyer and Mr Hyde.  Oh yeah, Tre White is back.  Von Miller gets back in a few weeks.  Please God we've had all the injuries a team should have to endure.  It's time for good things to happen.

9 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yep, he was rattled and it was great to see Mac Jones screaming at the O linemen.

I have NEVER seen Josh Allen berating a teammate in public, and I don't expect to ever do so.  Leadership comes from doing your own job well, and inspiring those around you to do the same.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.