Bills trade for Nyheim Hines

BLeonard

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Cover 1 had someone on in the week after the Chiefs game. His big prediction was Singletary returns next year and probably as the primary back. Don't shoot the messenger, just letting you know.

I can see it.  Pretty clear Josh is pushing for him.

30 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I understand that the Bills could not afford (cap) to bring in a high price get.  I am not a huge Kadarius Toney fan, but I liked that move by the Chiefs.

I don’t know who could have been had (maybe nobody), but it is game over if Diggs goes down.  Now, probably would be anyway even if they had brought someone in by trade.  However, if Davis gets hurt again, who can play?  Not McKenzie or Kumerow.

I’m a shakir fan.  I think he can play inside or out.  Sure, there may be better outside guys, but he can make it work imo.  

this is without saying that it seems to be a foregone conclusion that we’re going to sign Beckham.  Who knows how effective he will be but it shows that the FO is making moves to improve the roster and help us win this year.  Marlowe and Hines are great value additions.  Very good moves imo.  Not the splash many wanted, but I didn’t think we’d be doing that.  They’re confidant in what they’ve built and just added a couple insurance policies, both for a great price.  

• Agree 2

With all the Moss bashing and Moss trade jokes aside, I think he will go on to have an okay NFL career. Nothing amazing but more then us fans thinks he’s capable of. He was never going to get an opportunity here on a pass heavy offense.

He seems to need consistent running to get into rhythm, so the splitting with Singletary wasn’t going to work. Singletary is similar in that way too so neither of them could get any traction trying to be 1a and 1b. He didn’t offer any unique skills either with being too similar to Singletary. Good luck to him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Well Pat Mcafee says I'll love him. I hope so. I think they are not impressed with J Cook. I'll trust Beane on this.

I don’t agree with that at all.  I think they’re bringing him along more slowly because we have the luxury of doing so, and not beating the brakes off him as a first half-season rookie.  He had a nice game last game and has a ton of tools.  Let’s remember, most teams run their running backs into the ground in first few seasons.  We don’t have to do that.  Give  motor his runs. Bring an experienced speedster and pass catcher in.  Bring along rookie slowly.  I don’t believe for a second that anybody is down on Cook.  They were down on Moss because he wasn’t helping us.  Baby steps for Cook.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

No. They traded a day 3 pick plus a RB picked with a 3rd round pick(who never worked out).  So they traded a 3rd and a 5th for Hines, and then may let Singletary go in the off-season to FA...another 3rd round pick.

As for the bolded, no one knows what calls were made, or what the asking price were.  You only know that none were traded.

This is stupid. Im guessing you know it. We made a pick, it didnt work out, happens every year, usually multiple times by all 32 GMs. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

I’m surprised anyone would trade for Moss. It’s pretty evident he isn’t an NFL quality RB. Too slow, poor vision. Doesn’t offer any particularly good skill set

“But pass blocking!!!” I dunno, I just see that thrown out on these boards a lot to explain why he kills drives and takes handoffs from motor 

5 minutes ago, rusty shackleford said:

With all the Moss bashing and Moss trade jokes aside, I think he will go on to have an okay NFL career. Nothing amazing but more then us fans thinks he’s capable of. He was never going to get an opportunity here on a pass heavy offense.

He seems to need consistent running to get into rhythm, so the splitting with Singletary wasn’t going to work. Singletary is similar in that way too so neither of them could get any traction trying to be 1a and 1b. He didn’t offer any unique skills either with being too similar to Singletary. Good luck to him.

He did have the unique talent of having the knack for finding his linemen's buttcracks and trying to run up them though, lol.  

But in all seriousness, I wish him well and I wish him success against all teams except the Bills.

Edited by Billz4ever

- Not that it is a surprise (to some), but if they plan on keeping Hines through the duration of his current contract Motor is elsewhere next season.  
- If that is the plan, I’m really happy with a RB tandem of Cook and Hines in this offense for the next three years.  Beane is so solid… not sure how much better you can build a roster around its identity.  Again, well done sir. 
- He’s the fastest back on the roster, and maybe the fastest entirely on offense unless Stevenson is activated at some point.  True speed is the one element this offense really lacked this year, and now you have a back who is not only that but proven in the league…. I read 5th in the ENTIRE league for backs in receiving yards over the past few years as a friggin backup/ role player. 
- Listen to Pat Mcafee’s clip from today, and listen to Locked on Bills.  Dude is characterized by his coaches as an elite competitor.  Elite.  He’s tough as nails, and literally says “I don’t care if I die” before every punt he fields.  If you’re not into “fit”, then skip this point.  If you are, this dude sounds like he was built from the ground up in the mold of everything “culture” stands for.  
- This offense, with Hines in the lineup, is about as scary as it gets.  Rumors about McC and Kamara were fun to imagine and how it could really push any matchup into the “that’s just unfair” category.  Now, if this works out like my crazy imagination processes things, that might just be about where the Bills offense is. 
- He takes over as PR immediately.  Maybe he works his way into the KR game as well sporadically.  STs improved and it was already the leagues best unit. 

BRAVO

Edited by n8dg14
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I dont think this is a move cuz of lack of trust in cook. I think its more the bills had zero confidence in moss. If Singletary were to go down it would all fall on moss and cook, I dont think the bills wanted to be in that position. And it gives options at returns. I like the move, I wasn't comfortable with the idea of what would happen without Singletary.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

its not ludicrous- listen to the coach..  

media …. Blah blah blah… nice game for cook

Sean… blah blah done some good things running ball, lot more to being a rb. 

clearly there is more they want out of cooks told and maybe he’s not there yet.  See bills offers for McCaffrey, Kamera and ultimately  trade for Hines. 

not hard to piece this pattern together 

It was dumping a RB for a better RB first and foremost.  It was having that better RB as an insurance against injury for the playoffs.

It added experience if Devin went down, and everything had to rest on a rookie's shoulders.  That's how I see it and how I think

Beane saw it.

I'll stick with my assumption that Cook is fine and will be the Buffalo Bills RB1 next season.  Fans may disagree with me, but the

only way to know is to wait until next year.

As to Kamera, he didn't go anywhere, and the team even said he wasn't.  McCaffrey was a pipedream that Beane had to make an offer for.

IF by some crazy stretch of the imagination, Christian became a Bill for what Beane was offering, then it would have changed some things.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It's called Singletary and Moss were never getting extended. 

Hines is not a replacement for either of them. He's a replacement for the guy we just drafted.

Edit: I should clarify that if the Bills think Hines gives them a better shot at a Super Bowl than Cook, I'm fine with the trade. It's just clearly not a move for a future RB1.

Edited by MPT
  • Disagree 4
  • Dislike 1

Bills added more speed to their roster at RB and enhanced special teams for minimal draft capital. Yes it sucks the pick on Moss didn’t work out but it happens to every team. Wish him nothing but the best in Indy unless he’s playing the Bills.

IMO, this offseason could see a lot of movement at RB across the league. Unless the Bills land a big fish, solid chance DS is back. I don’t see a huge market for him and would think they’ll resign him to a team friendly deal. 

Edited by TFBillsfan
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, MPT said:

Hines is not a replacement for either of them. He's a replacement for the guy we just drafted.

Incorrect.  This trade is the perfect example of how you build an offense according to its identity.  

Cook and Hines for the next three years.  Both are strong in areas we need our backs to be plus fast and quick. 

• Like (+1) 1

The real upside I hope to see from this trade is to have Allen and Dorsey raise Hines's game as a weapon to a higher level. They can have that effect on people.
I see the trade as a positive in the short term mostly because Moss could not be counted on to contribute much and Crowder is out. Hines, a veteran, also takes some of the pressure of rooks Shakir and Cook.

• Agree 2

35 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Well Pat Mcafee says I'll love him. I hope so. I think they are not impressed with J Cook. I'll trust Beane on this.

They have tons of time to evaluate what Cook can and can't do. Hines' play in 20 & 21 as a non starter RB is impressive. We were never keeping Moss and extending Motor.

6 minutes ago, n8dg14 said:

Incorrect.  This trade is the perfect example of how you build an offense according to its identity.  

Cook and Hines for the next three years.  Both are strong in areas we need our backs to be plus fast and quick. 

Don't get me wrong, I like both of their skill sets. But neither of them are going to grind out yards between the tackles-- something which Singletary has become very good at. 

1 minute ago, MPT said:

Don't get me wrong, I like both of their skill sets. But neither of them are going to grind out yards between the tackles-- something which Singletary has become very good at. 

And Singletary will never be a receiving matchup problem for defenses, something Hines is very good at. So it’s a complimentary relationship.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2022/11/is-new-bills-rb-nyheim-hines-crazy-his-punt-return-mantra-says-it-all.html

“Before I go back there, I say, ‘I don’t care about my life.’ Every time,” Hines told the media in 2021 when asked if it took a certain type of crazy to be a return man.

It takes a special person to look up in the air while all the other people are looking to rip your head off.”

Andre' Roberts used to say "it helps if you have a screw loose"

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.