Why are we playing in KC two years in a row?

Virgil

24 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I understand it’s no conspiracy, but I laugh when people say the NFL has a “formula”. It’s meaningless intellectual lingo. It reminds me of the old online dating commercial “algorithms”. I’m sure the NFL has a legitimate method, but can it actually be explained? You’d think they’d just switch home/away like college series often do. 

It's not meaningless intellectual lingo. It's quite literally laid out for all to see. 

Just because you either don't care or aren't smart enough to follow it doesn't mean it's not there. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, No_Matter_What said:

Lol apparently my English sucks. I think that from my posts in this thread it should be more than clear that I understand how it works :)

So my 3rd attempt to write the same thing:

I think Virgil understands this, and his question is WHY do we play our AFC West equivalent at home in 2018 and 2019, and the on the road in 2021 and 2022, if much better solution was to rotate these games, so we play our AFC West equivalent at home in 2018 and on the road in 2019 and so on?

Can you provide simple answer?

My answer is that it is simply not possible to schedule it that way, but it is not very intuitive why and it is not easy to explain.

As far as I know, there is no answer to that question beyond “that’s how it’s done.”

54 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I mean those are kind of conflicting statements but yes you are right.  They use a formula (which is a set thing).  The fact that we have played the Chiefs at arrowhead in 3 regular season games (including next year) is dumb luck.

It’s not even luck really…the afc east vs afc west same placement in division games double up on home teams 2 years in a row before switching.  Then we play the whole afc west once every 3 years and the home team swaps back and forth each meeting.  So we will alternate getting 3 home games in a row then 3 away games in a row against kc assuming we finish in the same position on our division as then every year 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

28 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I understand it’s no conspiracy, but I laugh when people say the NFL has a “formula”. It’s meaningless intellectual lingo. It reminds me of the old online dating commercial “algorithms”. I’m sure the NFL has a legitimate method, but can it actually be explained? You’d think they’d just switch home/away like college series often do. 

Yes. It has been properly explained multiple times in this very thread, not to mention the countless times since the schedule came out.

It is pretty simple.

4 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Lol apparently my English sucks. I think that from my posts in this thread it should be more than clear that I understand how it works :)

So my 3rd attempt to write the same thing:

I think Virgil understands this, and his question is WHY do we play our AFC West equivalent at home in 2018 and 2019, and the on the road in 2021 and 2022, if much better solution was to rotate these games, so we play our AFC West equivalent at home in 2018 and on the road in 2019 and so on?

Can you provide simple answer?

My answer is that it is simply not possible to schedule it that way, but it is not very intuitive why and it is not easy to explain.

I definitely wasn’t expecting 3 pages of responses so quick. 

I would think the NFL would have wanted to take more interest in the scheduling of these types of games, as they are typically big rating games.  

I would think they’d want it in Prime Time and rotate, but that’s just my opinion 

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yes. It has been properly explained multiple times in this very thread, not to mention the countless times since the schedule came out.

It is pretty simple.

It is simple, once I learned from actually reading this thread. That’s what’s great about this board, it’s more knowledgeable than most other forums. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

I definitely wasn’t expecting 3 pages of responses so quick. 

I would think the NFL would have wanted to take more interest in the scheduling of these types of games, as they are typically big rating games.  

I would think they’d want it in Prime Time and rotate, but that’s just my opinion 

It's good that they don't alter the formula. It makes it simple and predictable. It makes it impossible to favor one team over another (the order can do this somewhat, though).

Just as an example of how formulaic this all is, the Jets are playing the Broncos in Denver for the second straight year. It’s just that because both have been last place teams both times that no one notices. And the Dolphins are going to the chargers and the Pats are going to the Raiders. I know this without looking it up.

Edited by FrenchConnection

I remember for Peyton Manning's first 5-6 years (at least), they generally played the Colts/Pats game in New England.  There is a method to that.

It ended up flipping, as I hope our match-ups with KC do.  We play them well in KC.  If it's in Buffalo, we'll beat them 9x out of 10.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Possibly dumb question, but I don’t understand why we are playing at KC during the regular season two years in a row.  

Both games are played because both teams won their division each season.  This is not because we are facing the AFC West.  

Shouldn’t home and away be rotated?

**I fully understand the home and away scheduling for playing divisions.  We play the AFC West next season and will play KC in KC, because KC came to Buffalo the last time we played the AFC West.  

Is this a hidden blame Edmunds, he  makes the schedule too thread? 

39 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

It's not meaningless intellectual lingo. It's quite literally laid out for all to see. 

Just because you either don't care or aren't smart enough to follow it doesn't mean it's not there. 

Hmm.....  If this has been explained so clearly, can you explain it to me like I'm 5?

Here is the text from the link the "explained" why Bills were playing in KC.

"Two games against teams from the two remaining divisions in its own conference — one game at home and one on the road. Matchups are based on division ranking from the previous season."

Thats pretty clear.  It boils down to Bills play the Titans and KC this year.  One home, one away.

Why is KC away and Titans game home?  Why not Titans away and KC at home?  THAT is the key question that hasnt been answered in the 50+ replies.

If there is a clear "formula" that explains this, please post a link so we all know.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Possibly dumb question, but I don’t understand why we are playing at KC during the regular season two years in a row.  

Both games are played because both teams won their division each season.  This is not because we are facing the AFC West.  

Shouldn’t home and away be rotated?

**I fully understand the home and away scheduling for playing divisions.  We play the AFC West next season and will play KC in KC, because KC came to Buffalo the last time we played the AFC West.  

it’s in the formula.

every 3 years the divisions face each other. Between those it’s positional games.

over a 6 yr cycle its

20 KC—division

21 at KC

22 at KC

23 at KC —division

24 host west team same position

25 host west team same position

26 KC

27 at west

28 at west

29 at KC

for tennessee it was

2019 at tenn

20 at tenn

21 at tenn ( division)

22 tenn

23 host afc south

24 tenn ( division)

25 at south

26 at south

27 at tenn ( division)

after the 2025 season they could resort the scheduling pairs and the schedule patterns

2003-2009. After this cycle they changed team pairs in the western divisions where before in was kc-den pair and Chargers-raiders pair to chargers-kc raiders- den. In nfc west they did this too. It was sea-sf as a pair but thrn became sea-rams. That’s why it scheduling format had some 

2004 buf at sea

2008 sea at buf

2012 seat at buf ( Seattle switching team pairs resulting in this)

2016 buf at sea

2020 sea at buf 

2010-2017. No changes 

2018-2025   .??

for that extra game against the nfc….

2021 host east same positional standings

22 at west

23 host south

24 at north

25 at east

26 west

27 at south

28 north 

10 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Hmm.....  If this has been explained so clearly, can you explain it to me like I'm 5?

"Two games against teams from the two remaining divisions in its own conference — one game at home and one on the road. Matchups are based on division ranking from the previous season."

Thats pretty clear.  It boils down to Bills play the Titans and KC this year.  One home, one away.

Why is KC away and Titans game home?  Why not Titans away and KC at home?  THAT is the key question that hasnt been answered in the 50+ replies.

If there is a clear "formula" that explains this, please post a link so we all know.

It has been answered. Last year and this year, the AFC East is playing their AFC West equivalent on the road. We are playing our AFC South equivalent at home. That’s the entirety of both divisions. From first to last: Buf @ KC, NE @ LV, Mia @ LAC and NYJ @ Den. Those are all road games for the AFC East. Last year was the same except the Fins played the Raiders and the Pats played the Chargers. But all the games were in the road. I don’t know why, but they double up like that. In 2024 and 2025, the AFC East will play their games against the AFC West at home.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

4th year in a row

KC played in Buffalo in 2020 (We played the entire AFCW)

Buff played in KC last year (1st place teams within conference)

Buff plays at KC this year (1st place teams in conf)

Buff plays AT KC next year (We play entire AFCW)

Since this is the second year we are playing them (because of 1st place teams in the conference), shouldn’t it rotate, by them coming to Buffalo this year?

I explained this in a thread a few months ago to someone asking the same question. This question comes up every few months.

Teams play same-seeded division teams in the conference teams for two straight times, either both home or both away. Then it rotates for the next two times. So since Buffalo and KC finished first in their divisions, respectively, in 2020 and 2021, we played KC away two straight times. The next two times the same-seeded AFC West team will be at our home, no matter who it is or where we are seeded in our respective divisions.

Note: this particular rotation above doesn't apply for times our division plays all four teams in another division in the conference. That is a different rotation. So it will not apply next year when we play the entire AFC West. But the next two times after that when we play the West, the same-seeded team will be at our place.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, chongli said:

I explained this in a thread a few months ago to someone asking the same question. This question comes up every few months.

Teams play same-seeded division teams in the conference teams for two straight times home or away. Then it rotates for the next two times. So since Buffalo and KC finished first in their divisions, respectively, in 2020 and 2021, we played KC away two straight times. The next two times the same-seeded AFC West team will be at our home no matter who it is or where we are seeded in our divisions.

Note: this particular rotation above doesn't apply for times our division plays all four teams in another division in the conference  So it will not apply next year when we play the entire AFC West. But the next two times after that when we play the West, the same-seeded team will be at our place.

So what you're saying is... the schedule makers are out to screw us.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pennstate10 said:

Try this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_regular_season#Scheduling_formula

Or this:

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/everything-know-about-nfl-schedule-how-it-works

Or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBZxdERnvgU

Or this:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-schedule-how-made-league-opponents-272-games/a4iykr3alznrium47wyuolpd

Edited by Bob Chandler's Hands
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

so we can be ready for them in the playoffs!!

oh...

But……at OUR PLACE! 😋

We played in Nashville three years in a row. I actually loved it as it’s an easy road game for me in a nice city ideal for hosting football. 

It smells a little funny with the reigning champs (sorry, Bengals) getting a string of home games against the biggest threat. It will even out in time. It’s not the Chief’s fans making the schedule. I care more about playoff home games, and I realize this is part of how you get there, but at some point you just need to feel eager to get another shot at them. Anywhere, any time. (Except London, I hate the London games, but still…..the point remains) 

• Like (+1) 1

The easiest way to explain this is to look at the schedule in six year chunks.  I didn't bother to include the NFC matchups.

Below, I started with Josh's rookie year and went through 2023.  Columns E and G show the 2 year rotation on the games that are created by teams finishing in the same place within their divisions (1st from the East hosted 1st from the West in 2018, 2nd East Hosted 2nd West and so on).

In columns I and K, I flipped the alternating years highlighted in yellow to eliminate that 2 year rotation, since from what I've read, your major question is "why is the two year rotation not a 'home and home' rotation?".  If you look across the rows under that scenario, you'd see that the Bills would NEVER have the chance to host the Chiefs in a year where the AFC East played the AFC North.  KC would also NEVER have the chance to host the Bills any year the AFC East played the AFC South.

It boils down to, which would you rather have?  A chance at playing at the same place 3 years in a row, or knowing that anytime the Bills play the AFCN, they CAN'T host ANY AFCW team.

So, they could they rotate every season, but my guess is, the NFL would rather have the 2 year rotation instead of locking teams out of ANY chance of playing at a given location every time they play a certain opposite division.

239510803_ScheduleExplanation.thumb.jpg.05e26da47edbcae588a29ccd96745882.jpg

If you are to assume with Allen and Mahomes that the Bills and Chiefs will control their respective divisions for years to come, we will end up hosting the Chiefs in 3 consecutive years (2024-2026).

2024 and 2025 will be based on division finish, and it just so happens those years the AFC East will host its AFC West counterpart. 2026 would be part of the regular home/away division rotation (Bills @ KC 2017, KC @ Bills 2020, Bills @ KC 2023, KC @ Bills 2026). 

3 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

It is a formula - you can go ahead and look to see exactly which teams we play home and away for the next decade (assuming nothing gets shifted or a new division is created).

You don’t know exactly which team is always on tap because that is based on exactly where you finish the previous year, but it will list Away AFC West and Home AFC South for example.  The teams then get filled in.

They have it nicely laid out if you just look for it (already posted in this thread.

The NFL does rotate home and away when you play the entire division, but since you have no idea ahead of time who will finish where - it makes no sense to try and build Home/Away for that - you just set it up on a rotating basis - which is exactly what they have done.

• Like (+1) 1

Suffice it to say any Bills fan could have checked the formulated home/ away schedule for 2022 5 years ago -with only terms such as “AFCW first and 3rd place finisher away” used instead of actual team names. It’s also likely that in 2017 none of them would have cared. Then Josh Allen happened. 

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

4th year in a row

KC played in Buffalo in 2020 (We played the entire AFCW)

Buff played in KC last year (1st place teams within conference)

Buff plays at KC this year (1st place teams in conf)

Buff plays AT KC next year (We play entire AFCW)

Assuming both teams finish in 1st place, else it can vary.

2 hours ago, BLeonard said:

The easiest way to explain this is to look at the schedule in six year chunks.  I didn't bother to include the NFC matchups.

Below, I started with Josh's rookie year and went through 2023.  Columns E and G show the 2 year rotation on the games that are created by teams finishing in the same place within their divisions (1st from the East hosted 1st from the West in 2018, 2nd East Hosted 2nd West and so on).

In columns I and K, I flipped the alternating years highlighted in yellow to eliminate that 2 year rotation, since from what I've read, your major question is "why is the two year rotation not a 'home and home' rotation?".  If you look across the rows under that scenario, you'd see that the Bills would NEVER have the chance to host the Chiefs in a year where the AFC East played the AFC North.  KC would also NEVER have the chance to host the Bills any year the AFC East played the AFC South.

It boils down to, which would you rather have?  A chance at playing at the same place 3 years in a row, or knowing that anytime the Bills play the AFCN, they CAN'T host ANY AFCW team.

So, they could they rotate every season, but my guess is, the NFL would rather have the 2 year rotation instead of locking teams out of ANY chance of playing at a given location every time they play a certain opposite division.

239510803_ScheduleExplanation.thumb.jpg.05e26da47edbcae588a29ccd96745882.jpg

Understand the whole formula thing and agree no conspiracy going on however per your comment above

Last year AFC East played the AFC South and KC did host.  So you sure about what you wrote??

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

6 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

So... is there an answer as to why it's always in KC?

At least this year the Chefs played MNF. Less time for them  to prepare.

The short week for KC does to some extent neutralize any home field advantage they might have had.  Plus, they are coming off a tough divisional game.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.