Why are we playing in KC two years in a row?

Virgil

Possibly dumb question, but I don’t understand why we are playing at KC during the regular season two years in a row.  

Both games are played because both teams won their division each season.  This is not because we are facing the AFC West.  

Shouldn’t home and away be rotated?

**I fully understand the home and away scheduling for playing divisions.  We play the AFC West next season and will play KC in KC, because KC came to Buffalo the last time we played the AFC West.  

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4th year in a row

KC played in Buffalo in 2020 (We played the entire AFCW)

Buff played in KC last year (1st place teams within conference)

Buff plays at KC this year (1st place teams in conf)

Buff plays AT KC next year (We play entire AFCW)

Edited by DrDawkinstein

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

4th year in a row

KC played in Buffalo in 2020 (We played the entire AFCW)

Buff played in KC last year (1st place teams within conference)

Buff plays at KC this year (1st place teams in conf)

Buff plays AT KC next year (We play entire AFCW)

I meant we are playing IN KC for 3 years in a row. Not that we are playing KC

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MJS said:

You play teams on a divisional rotation and due to divisional rankings. There is no conspiracy. It's just how things worked out. KC came to Buffalo in 2020.

BTW, we play in KC next year too.

OP isn't asking why we are playing KC, he's asking why it's an away game instead of rotational.

• Like (+1) 2

It's a formula that they use based on how you finished each season.  I think we play the AFC west again in 2023 which is going to be there also.

2024 is the first time we will get the (division matchup) against the AFC West which could be the Chiefs in Buffalo.

Edited by The Wiz

Sorry for the outburst but can we pin a goddamn link to the board about the standard NFL scheduling rules?  I have seen, no lie, at least a half dozen posts today bemoaning that "we always have to play KC on the road" when the answers are very logical and very clear.

IT'S A FORMULA.  THE BILLS DIDN'T GET SCREWED.  IT'S DUMB LUCK.

That is all.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

Here is your Buffalo Bills 2023 schedule.

Home

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

New York Jets

Denver Broncos

Las Vegas Raiders

Dallas Cowboys

New York Giants

AFC South TBD

NFC South TBD

Away

Kansas City Chiefs

Los Angeles Chargers

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

New York Jets

Philadelphia Eagles

AFC North TBD

Washington Commanders

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

OP isn't asking why we are playing KC, he's asking why it's an away game instead of rotational.

And that's what I answered. It is rotational where you play based on those things as well.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, eball said:

Sorry for the outburst but can we pin a goddamn link to the board about the standard NFL scheduling rules?  I have seen, no lie, at least a half dozen posts today bemoaning that "we always have to play KC on the road" when the answers are very logical and very clear.

That is all.

I mean those are kind of conflicting statements but yes you are right.  They use a formula (which is a set thing).  The fact that we have played the Chiefs at arrowhead in 3 regular season games (including next year) is dumb luck.

11 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Possibly dumb question, but I don’t understand why we are playing at KC during the regular season two years in a row.  

Both games are played because both teams won their division each season.  This is not because we are facing the AFC West.  

Nope - it is based upon a set rotation based upon your division.  

When you face an entire division - the home and away rotates, but because of when you play a division where you are matching up with like teams (winners or how they place) that rotates on a different schedule because you may or may not play the same team.

It just so happens KC and Buffalo both keep winning and the portion of the rotation has the AFC East and AFC West winners playing at AFC West as part of the off cycle rotation.

You can see the rotation for years out if you want - it is set to make it easier on the schedule - the teams just slot in later.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Rochesterfan said:

Nope - it is based upon a set rotation based upon your division.  

When you face an entire division - the home and away rotates, but because of when you play a division where you are matching up with like teams (winners or how they place) that rotates on a different schedule because you may or may not play the same team.

It just so happens KC and Buffalo both keep winning and the portion of the rotation has the AFC East and AFC West winners playing at AFC West as part of the off cycle rotation.

You can see the rotation for years out if you want - it is set to make it easier on the schedule - the teams just slot in later.

Nailed it.

Here is the schedule.

https://fbschedules.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

Home

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

New York Jets

Denver Broncos

Las Vegas Raiders

Dallas Cowboys

New York Giants

AFC South TBD

NFC South TBD

Away

Kansas City Chiefs

Los Angeles Chargers

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

New York Jets

Philadelphia Eagles

AFC North TBD

Washington Commanders

WE GOT SCREWED!!!  WHY DO WE ALWAYS PLAY KC ON THE ROAD???????

brian regan what GIF

• Haha (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Home

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

New York Jets

Denver Broncos

Las Vegas Raiders

Dallas Cowboys

New York Giants

AFC South TBD

NFC South TBD

Away

Kansas City Chiefs

Los Angeles Chargers

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

New York Jets

Philadelphia Eagles

AFC North TBD

Washington Commanders

I feel like we play New England twice every single season.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Home

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

New York Jets

Denver Broncos

Las Vegas Raiders

Dallas Cowboys

New York Giants

AFC South TBD

NFC South TBD

Away

Kansas City Chiefs

Los Angeles Chargers

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

New York Jets

Philadelphia Eagles

AFC North TBD

Washington Commanders

Oh man we have a cupcake schedule next year.

14 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Who cares about 3 in a row!  The Bills played in Tampa EIGHT games in a row in the 70s and 80s. I want answers!

I had seasons for years & the only team I hadn't seen play in person was Tampa Bay.  I finally gave up & saw them play against the Giants in 2006 so I could complete seeing every team at least once.  I finally saw the Bucs in Buffalo in 2009.  

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Virgil said:

It's really interesting that we are 29 responses in and almost no one tries to answer your question :)  @Rochesterfan tried but I don't think you answered what Virgil's question actually was... Also, formulas linked in this thread do not answer why these games are not rotated home/away.

Like you said Virgil 2021 and 2022 are both years when we play KC not because we face entire ACF West, but based on them and us ending on the same spot within our divisions a year before.

I agree that common sense is that these games should rotate, but they don't. No matter who the respective opponent from AFC West is, we always play them home 2 years in a row (which in fact means 3 years in a row counting the year when we play the whole division), and then on the road 2 years in a row (3 total).

Thing is that IT IS NOT POSSIBLE to come out with schedule rotation which would make all games rotate in home/away fashion. I was smart enough to make a simulation proving this to myself, but am not smart enough to explain it here (I might try if you are really interested though). But trust me on this, you can't do it for all divisions.

So as a results, some divisions vs some divisions rotate H/A, but AFC East always has H/H or A/A vs all other divisions.

Edited by No_Matter_What
  • Like (+1) 2

I understand it’s no conspiracy, but I laugh when people say the NFL has a “formula”. It’s meaningless intellectual lingo. It reminds me of the old online dating commercial “algorithms”. I’m sure the NFL has a legitimate method, but can it actually be explained? You’d think they’d just switch home/away like college series often do. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

It has been explained multiple times. The two years between your inter AFC divisional matchups the positional matchups are based on couplets.

We play the AFC West same placed team away two years in a row. Next year we will play the AFC West in our inter AFC divisional matchup and will be in KC again as the last time we were matched we played in Buffalo

The good news is in 2024 and 2025 we will play the equivalent finisher in the AFCW at home. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, eball said:

That is all.

No offense man but saying that there is a formula doesn't answer Virgil's question at all. He doesn't say we were screwed, he is asking very logical question WHY there is such a formula which doesn't include these games rotating H/A. No link provided here contains actual answer (as far as I know). And the answer is also not trivial imo.

4 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I understand it’s no conspiracy, but I laugh when people say the NFL has a “formula”. It’s meaningless intellectual lingo. It reminds me of the old online dating commercial “algorithms”. I’m sure the NFL has a legitimate method, but can it actually be explained? You’d think they’d just switch home/away like college series often do. 

It's actually a very clear and simple formula. 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

GunnerBill did a good job explaining it. It’s not something I’ve ever given any thought to, but now it makes sense. I was confused by a couple posts that simply state, “the NFL has a formula”. Sounds like the kind of answer you get when a real answer might not exist. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Formula is clear and simple to the extent that we play AFC West opponent on road in 2021 and 2022 and then home in 2024 and 2025, and so on.

But real question which imo Virgil is asking (knowing what I just said above) is why it isn't 2021 home, 2022 away, 2024 home, 2025 away and so on.

I guess we all agree that it seems much more logical this way.

My answer is that it is not in fact possible to schedule it this way but it is certainly not easy to understand why.

39 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It has been explained multiple times. The two years between your inter AFC divisional matchups the positional matchups are based on couplets.

We play the AFC West same placed team away two years in a row. Next year we will play the AFC West in our inter AFC divisional matchup and will be in KC again as the last time we were matched we played in Buffalo

The good news is in 2024 and 2025 we will play the equivalent finisher in the AFCW at home. 

Same as above. This doesn't answer Virgils question imo :)

Edited by No_Matter_What
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Interesting.  I wonder why consecutive years, and not rotational 

1 minute ago, No_Matter_What said:

Formula is clear and simple to the extent that we play AFC West opponent on road in 2021 and 2022 and then home in 2024 and 2025, and so on.

But real question which imo Virgil is asking (knowing what I just said about) is why it isn't 2021 home, 2022 away, 2024 home, 2025 away and so on.

I guess we all agree that it seems much more logical is way.

My answer is that it is not in fact possible to schedule it this way but it is certainly not easy to understand why.

Same as above. This doesn't answer Virgils question imo :)

We played our AFC West equivalent at home in 2018 and 2019. They just happened to be two different teams (Chargers and Denver). Then in 2020 we played the entire west, and it was our turn to host KC that year. We played our AFC West equivalent on the road last year and will play them on the road again this year. Next year we play the entire AFC West again, and because they played in Orchard Park last time that was the case, we have to go in the road this time. It’s just an unfortunate feature of the scheduling that keeps happening because the Bills keep winning the East and the Chiefs keep winning the West.

2 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

We played our AFC West equivalent at home in 2018 and 2019. They just happened to be two different teams (Chargers and Denver). Then in 2020 we played the entire west, and it was our turn to host KC that year. We played our AFC West equivalent on the road last year and will play them on the road again this year. Next year we play the entire AFC West again, and because they played in Orchard Park last time that was the case, we have to go in the road this time. It’s just an unfortunate feature of the scheduling that keeps happening because the Bills keep winning the East and the Chiefs keep winning the West.

Lol apparently my English sucks. I think that from my posts in this thread it should be more than clear that I understand how it works :)

So my 3rd attempt to write the same thing:

I think Virgil understands this, and his question is WHY do we play our AFC West equivalent at home in 2018 and 2019, and the on the road in 2021 and 2022, if much better solution was to rotate these games, so we play our AFC West equivalent at home in 2018 and on the road in 2019 and so on?

Can you provide simple answer?

My answer is that it is simply not possible to schedule it that way, but it is not very intuitive why and it is not easy to explain.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.