Christian McCaffrey rumors

Steel City Mafia

8 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Why only 10 games.  That's absurd. He's under contract for future years and his contract isn't that big you can't fit him. Cap is crap, restructure a couple guys and you're good. No big offensive FA signing. 

2nd Round Picks of recent years:

James Cook 63

Boogie Basham 61

AJ Epenesa 54

Cody Ford 38

Zay Jones 37

Dion Dawkins 63

Reggie Ragland 41

Cyrus Kouandjio 44

That's going back to 2014.

Draft picks are not as valuable as people think once you start putting faces to the picks. What you do have to be careful with is overall roster depth and not depleting picks, but to trade once in a while or manageably is okay. 

Beane will trade picks from the current draft only, does not like to trade from future years.

I'm too lazy to look this statement up to verify it, but I'm fairly certain Beane scouted CMC and we did kick the tires in the offseason. With the growth of McD in being more aggressive on offense this year than in years past, the more playmaker you have the better, the harder to defend you are, the better; this does make sense on some levels. There was some worry that with Dabs moving on, we would look to run more this year, we haven't really. Dorsey being a fabulous college qb with a loaded roster at every position has kept the foot on the gas. One of the hallmarks of those Miami teams was having crazy talent at every position which made it very hard to defend and allowed you to still keep the foot on the gas no matter who was out or who was being doubled. It's the same thing here, make us near impossible to defend.

That along with a good D will make us really hard to beat. With where our roster currently stands, I think you can part with 1 pick this year without any type of catastrophic hole being opened.

15 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

The problem with the argument is that even players on the same team take touches away from each other. A throw to Know is one less throw to Diggs. We tolerate this because it doesn’t really matter who is touching the ball to move chains or scoring TDs. We just care that someone does. So, if CMC comes in and produces at a high level (not necessarily saying he would), it really wouldn’t matter as long as we’re scoring and winning. 

Correct! It's the rb position and running game that people get tripped up on, I'm not saying run more, but he'll if a team wants to stay in dime and have a deep zone shell, I'm pounding the rock to get you out of it. You want to stop the run or double diggs and cover Davis up, I'm hitting ny te, rb or wr3, you want to blitz, enjoy the cmc screen....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

I'm sure there are some on this board who want a better running attack, I have been on team give me IOL help for awhile now.  

When it comes to what the offense needs, not just because something is missing, but it should be another way to make a defense chose their poison. I do think an OBJ would be great as a 3rd WR for us and push Shakir, Crowder, McK to a 4th WR. They will very likely be better than the 4th db lined up on them.

To have a better receiving option out of the back field, might have some merit. It's hard to compare a player in 1 offense vs another based of different players and who the defense is trying to take away, but Yac/reception  is where I have looked. Singletary has a career average of 6.7 yac/r and cmc has 7.98 yac/r. That's a pretty good difference between them and I think adds a better attacking element to our passing offense and is someone who will command some attention and either free up diggs, Knox, davis, and wr3 based on the attention the defense has to pay to cmc over DS or if not, he is a more capable pass catcher. Cmc has a 80.9% catch rate vs DS 76.3%. He has also caught like 3x as many passes. I'm looking at this as how does it open our offense up more by recalling making the defense make a decision to stay in single coverage or to give us multiple players who can make you pay. 

I wouldn't break the bank for cmc as far as trade value goes, but it is something I would strongly look at for the right price. He does open some stuff up for us...

Nobody is arguing that CMC isn't better than Singletary when healthy.........CMC hasn't been healthy for a whole season since the 2010's.

But an extra yard per reception out of the backfield isn't worth much in trade or cap space.   

For example.........a healthy Jamison Crowder is a career 11 yards per catch option at slot.........MORE of a gain over McKenzie(9.5) than the difference between Singletary and McCaffrey in the pass game.

And those are minimum wage level receivers who a team wouldn't trade anything more than a 5th rounder for in their most desperate moment. 

The math simply doesn't add up to make it worth much to acquire McCaffrey...........and you can't separate the ridiculous acquisition cost for a rental at the least important position on the field from the potential modest gain. 

• Disagree 1

Don’t think of CMC as a running back, think of him as a slot WR with after catch abilities and occasionally a RB.  I personally don’t see him as a huge upgrade, is he better than any other slot WR we have? yeah probably…but I’d rather have a pounding RB in the 225+ range, but it’s not up to me.  

42 minutes ago, Logic said:

The overvaluing of draft picks is a leftover mentality from the drought years, in my opinion.

The draft used to be in constant rebuilding mode, and the draft was like the Super Bowl for Bills fans.

Now, the Bills have finally rebuilt. They already HAVE an amazing roster. The Super Bowl for Bills fans this year should be, well...THE ACTUAL SUPER BOWL! And adding a star player could hugely help them to reach that game.

Yes, draft picks are valuable, and yes, Beane will continue to build through the draft and follow his mantra of "draft, develop, re-sign". But that doesn't mean that the Bills should be hording future draft picks at the expense of improving their team NOW, in the midst of a Super Bowl push. 

The fact that the Bills have been mentioned as the primary suitor for McCaffrey tells me that Beane feels the same way.

I think the problem with this is the contract.

The rams are a great example of how this can work.  Trade a high pick for a one year rental and then let them walk, like the Watkins situation.  The difference is a high comp pick comes into play when letting these players walk on an expiring contract.  That really softens the blow of the compensation.

While McCaffrey wouldn't be a big cap hit this year, and we could walk away after, no comp picks would come into play with the loss if we cut him after this year.  Are we really going to burn a #1 for a half year rental with no compensation coming back?  I see little chance we would move forward with his salary.

54 minutes ago, Logic said:

I liked Buscaglia's pitch:

They can choose between either Moss and a 2nd or Cook and a 3rd. This allows the Panthers to get a young RB in return to replace CMC, as well as getting a day two draft pick.

While I don't WANT to give up Cook, I would do so for CMC.

As Buscaglia points out, the Bills can afford CMC with no problem this season, and since only $1million of future money is guaranteed, they could re-structure future years. At the end of the day, they should be able to roster him without gut wrenching cap implications for at least two seasons.

In my mind, the Bills are as close as they've ever been to a Super Bowl trophy, which puts them in "all-in" mode. Push your chips into the center of the table. Go get that Lombardi.

Singletary can continue to get a decent amount of snaps and help keep McCaffrey fresh. Both can be deployed in the same formation, with McCaffrey splitting out wide or operating as more of a passing game piece.

I'm not sure people fully grasp how much CMC could bring to this offense. As great as the Bills have been, adding CMC would basically cause opposing defensive coordinators to throw their hands up in the air and say "forget it. We're *****. Why bother?"

Cook depreciated 2 rounds the minute they drove him off the lot. :lol:    He is a rookie and still may produce but to say that was a sketchy draft decision is putting it mildly.   Can't even trade him straight up for a high mileage, oft-injured former star RB with a bad contract.

As I mentioned before...........if anyone thinks it's not possible that McCaffrey will never look anything like a star again for any kind of long stretch....... they need to look at Thurman Thomas.........5 years a star and after that he dropped off significantly and became just a good volume use RB.    McCaffrey put a lot of miles on at Stanford and then in his first few seasons in the NFL. 

The Bills may be all-in but there are a number of other positions that could be upgraded before the least important one.

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Nobody is arguing that CMC isn't better than Singletary when healthy.........CMC hasn't been healthy for a whole season since the 2010's.

But an extra yard per reception out of the backfield isn't worth much in trade or cap space.   

For example.........a healthy Jamison Crowder is a career 11 yards per catch option at slot.........MORE of a gain over McKenzie(9.5) than the difference between Singletary and McCaffrey in the pass game.

And those are minimum wage level receivers who a team wouldn't trade anything more than a 5th rounder for in their most desperate moment. 

The math simply doesn't add up to make it worth much to acquire McCaffrey...........and you can't separate the ridiculous acquisition cost for a rental at the least important position on the field from the potential modest gain. 

You are going to hate this response, I even do. I entirely agree with what you are saying and it is 100% spot on, but I disagree in this instance with this team.

(This isn't geared towards you personally, I'm speaking generally) There isn't a stat or anything you can really toss out there to make a point why you should, because im not sure one exists. The question that needs to be answered is, will he be impactful enough out of the backfield as a rb or a wr to challenge the coverages being played against us to either open it up for other players or for him to be the player to make a play which will then drawn some more attention of the defenders and DC. I'm not sure how that gets quantified and that is where I'm at.

We certainly aren't going to run the ball more than we do, not by much at least over the course of any season. But if he is a more effective as a pass catcher out of the backfield and can make defenders miss enough, that should open things up more for single coverage on diggs or Davis and even open the underneath up more for Knox and wr3. Right?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Cook depreciated 2 rounds the minute they drove him off the lot. :lol:    He is a rookie and still may produce but to say that was a sketchy draft decision is putting it mildly.   Can't even trade him straight up for a high mileage, oft-injured former star RB with a bad contract.

As I mentioned before...........if anyone thinks it's not possible that McCaffrey will never look anything like a star again for any kind of long stretch....... they need to look at Thurman Thomas.........5 years a star and after that he dropped off significantly and became just a good volume use RB.    McCaffrey put a lot of miles on at Stanford and then in his first few seasons in the NFL. 

The Bills may be all-in but there are a number of other positions that could be upgraded before the least important one.

Fair points.

But in six games this season, McCaffrey has 673 yards from scrimmage and 3 TDs. He's averaging 112 yards from scrimmage per game. He is on pace for 85 receptions.

I think he's still a highly productive player who would upgrade the Bills backfield.

I'd rather improve the offensive line, but I don't see many teams out there trading away quality guards. Other than that, I'm not sure what position the Bills would realistically be looking at in the trade market.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I think the problem with this is the contract.

The rams are a great example of how this can work.  Trade a high pick for a one year rental and then let them walk, like the Watkins situation.  The difference is a high comp pick comes into play when letting these players walk on an expiring contract.  That really softens the blow of the compensation.

While McCaffrey wouldn't be a big cap hit this year, and we could walk away after, no comp picks would come into play with the loss if we cut him after this year.  Are we really going to burn a #1 for a half year rental with no compensation coming back?  I see little chance we would move forward with his salary.

I rarely agree with you because you are so often wrong............but yes,  the reasons against adding McCaffrey as a rental at the likely cost far outweigh the LIKELY return in a partial season of work.

And part of the issue is that people have unrealistic expectations about what he would add.    He's almost certainly not going to suddenly turn into a 6 yard per carry and 12 yard per reception stud.   The realistic expectation is that his best days are behind him and that he's just going to be an above average RB if used carefully but with a relatively high injury risk factor compared to Devin Singletary.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

What scares me isn’t so much what he would add to this team, the guy when healthy is a stud. The team drafted James Cook to be that CMC, Kamara type player, and hopefully he turns out that way, but he’s not that right now.  I have a feeling there’s a good portion of the playbook that isn’t being entertained bc Cook hasn’t show he can be that player. Do we wait, in a prime super bowl year, to see if cook can be that player in the playoffs, or how would we feel possibly seeing CMC on the Chiefs in the AFC championship game, now that they’re actively freeing up cap space?

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I rarely agree with you because you are so often wrong............but yes,  the reasons against adding McCaffrey as a rental at the likely cost far outweigh the LIKELY return in a partial season of work.

And part of the issue is that people have unrealistic expectations about what he would add.    He's almost certainly not going to suddenly turn into a 6 yard per carry and 12 yard per reception stud.   The realistic expectation is that his best days are behind him and that he's just going to be an above average RB if used carefully but with a relatively high injury risk factor compared to Devin Singletary.

That's right!

Plus, I predict McCaffery will be working radio by years end anyways!

What's Mike Gillislee up too?  Maybe we could bring him back and right the wrong of letting him and his 5.7 YPC go.  That could fix the RB room

Plus, why would McCaffery want to come to a franchise that hired a defensive minded HC (Jauron 2.0) when we had the opportunity to get with the times and hire a guy like Reich?  And that hired the coach before the GM!  That will never work!

You're a legend.

I'm not all in on cmc so to speak but I am all in on making an improvement of some type.  Grab whatever Beaney thinks is gonna put us over the top.

I do think cmc gives us something more than a slight improvement at rb.  Defenses will have to account  for him every game.  They don't have to do that so much for Singletary.   Just that is something though I would bet barring injuries he would have a statistical impact as well.

12 hours ago, NewEra said:

I agree with most of what you’re saying throughout.  The only problem with this logic is thinking that adding a star running back will give us a great running game.  I don’t think that’s the case.  The panthers don’t have a great run game.   

Derrick Henry and the titans have the 6th worst rush offense.  
Najee on the 7th worst

Mixon on the 8th worst

Mccaffery on the 9th worst

ekeler on the 10th worst

Dalvin on the 12th worst

There are a multitude of reasons for that though...and McCaffrey and Ekeler are making big contributions as a receiver and arguably the most effective parts of both offenses right now.

But...this discussion is getting a bit sidetracked.  I am not in any way advocating for a run first team, emphasize the run game, etc.  I am one of Devin's biggest defenders.  I am just saying, adding an elite RB who is also an elite receiver to this offense is certainly an upgrade, even though I really like Devin and just think he needs to be given more carries.  

But I was correcting the poster who claimed in the last 25 years no team wins in the playoffs with a run game led offense, and it wasn't true.  It's totally irrelevant to the Bills, we are a dominant passing team and will remain that way no matter who is running the ball, as it should be when you have the best QB in the league.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

There are a multitude of reasons for that though...and McCaffrey and Ekeler are making big contributions as a receiver and arguably the most effective parts of both offenses right now.

But...this discussion is getting a bit sidetracked.  I am not in any way advocating for a run first team, emphasize the run game, etc.  I am one of Devin's biggest defenders.  I am just saying, adding an elite RB who is also an elite receiver to this offense is certainly an upgrade, even though I really like Devin and just think he needs to be given more carries.  

But I was correcting the poster who claimed in the last 25 years no team wins in the playoffs with a run game led offense, and it wasn't true.  It's totally irrelevant to the Bills, we are a dominant passing team and will remain that way no matter who is running the ball, as it should be when you have the best QB in the league.

Gotcha.  I agree 💯 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

When you add a player like CMC you take away touches from the current stars on the Buffalo offense.

Last game, Diggs, 10 receptions for 148 yards, 1 TD. Davis, 3 for 74 yards, 1 TD, Knox 3 for 37, 1 TD.

With Singletary finally getting a decent amount of carries in this game, 17 for 85 yards, a 5.0 YPC AVG. 

If the Bills had an ordinary franchise QB behind center a trade for an elite RB might make sense...they don't! The Bills have an "alien unicorn" who does things the entire NFL world marvels at...he can hurtle tall defenders in a single bound! 

Give Cook time to develop and there will be no need for CMC is my take...a younger, healthier, faster player. CMC 4.48-40. Cook 4.42-40. JMO

We have only one RB worthy of seeing the field.  At a minimum we need a backup RB and a viable insurance policy.  Hopefully next year Cook will be ready to go and we can find another cheaper option to start at RB.  

32 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Good thing McCaffrey is the best catching RB ever... he should be catching the ball >>>60% of the time to keep D's honest.

8 minutes ago, teef said:

i think a legit meltdown would really hit the spot right now.  

If there is anybody I would go out on my "sword" for it would be you teef:wub:

Edited by Sherlock Holmes
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BrooklynBills said:

It won't cost $12 million per year though. What is a number that makes sense?

Singletary will probably costs around $4 mil/yr.  There are a bunch of FA RBs next year but the going rate for average RBs is about $4 mil.  Moss and Cook are not options as starters.  So you are already looking at spending a day 2 (or day 1) draft pick on a RB and/or spending significant cash on a player.  They absolutely cannot go into next year with Moss, Cook, and 2 JAGs.

So bare minimum you are looking at spending $4-6 million on the RB position next year in FA or re-signing Singletary and at least another 2nd or 3rd round pick.  Moss is gone.  Cook is an unknown.  Any of the cheap options out there are going to be ??s.  For a team in a Super Bowl window, you cannot afford to have a such a low-floor at any position that could sink the season.  

CMC is on a non-GTD contract.  And he's 26.  They can easily re-structure this deal to put him in favorable cap situation. With zero GTD money they can essentially just sign him to a brand new backloaded deal.  Even if they give him something at the top of the RB market, those first 2-3 years are going to be cap numbers in the 4s, 5s, 6s.

So would you spend 6 mil and 2nd round pick on an proven All-Pro RB who is an x-factor in the pass game? Or would you rather spend those same assets on Singletary and an unknown rookie? I think when I finally broke it down like this - my choice was a lot clearer.

I dont know what miracle contract you worked up in your head here but they arent going to get CMC on some 6mil per year deal. He is going to want market value.  You might get his often injured self on a cap hit of 6mil for one year with a lot of dead money and bigger cap hits for the length of it but he isnt going to play on a team for 6 mil a year when he already has a contract for 12mil for the next 3 seasons and if cut he will get a better contract in the open market.  By this point he will be almost 30 which is not a good age for a RB. Which is why you dont back load the contract kicking all that dead cap down the road. Thats a waste of draft capital.

No the Bills dont need to draft a running back 1st or 2nd.  There are many many other options.  The Bills do not need nor can afford an elite running back salary.

Edited by Scott7975

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Couple points of disagreement and some agreement here:

- the Panthers line sucks. They have one good player on it. One.

- CMC is the whole offense in Carolina and defenses are keying on him and only him; contrast that with what defenses have to deal with against Buffalo. There’s no comparison. 
- If you don’t think that CMC would compliment this offense in ways we don’t have now, then I don’t know what to say. Maybe watch him play.
- I’ve also been steadfastly against giving away big compensation for him so we agree there, if for different reasons. Mine are injury risk and the apparent high cost of acquiring him. You said that you don’t think he’d be a significant upgrade over Singletary. I think that’s ridiculous. So I’m in the “Yes, if the price is right” camp, not your “he wouldn’t help us” camp. 

"Panthers line sucks" -

Team run block win rate

1. Baltimore Ravens, 75%
2. Denver Broncos, 75%
3. Las Vegas Raiders, 75%
4. Kansas City Chiefs, 74%
5. Philadelphia Eagles, 74%
6. Arizona Cardinals, 74%
7. Minnesota Vikings, 73%
8. New Orleans Saints, 72%
9. Dallas Cowboys, 72%
10. Tennessee Titans, 72%
11. New York Jets, 72%
12. Cincinnati Bengals, 72%
13. Carolina Panthers, 72%

Thats tied for 8th place and 3% off first.  The Bills line is 27th.

"Defenses are keying on him and him only" - Defenses dont key on one player and one player only.  They still have to defend the field.

"If you dont think that CMC would compliment this offense..." - I never said that.  I said what he would cost is not worth the difference he would make.  People have blinders on wanting to trade for this guy with visions of him catching all these passes and him taking off for 20 yards after the catch all the time.  Its not going to happen.  He isnt going to take away catches from Diggs and Davis for one and for two he really isnt going to get much more yards than Singletary.  RB's are dump off pass options mostly.  Singletary is only getting 0.8 yards less per catch than CMC is and no its not because defenses are keying on CMC.

As for your last bit - why dont you tell me what you think a significant upgrade is.  As I explained earlier, CMC behind a way better run blocking line is getting 0.1 ypa more than Motor is.  As a pass catcher used in the same way Motor is, CMC is getting 0.8 ypc more than Motor.  Obviously CMC is an upgrade.  I just dont think one that is significant enough to throw away high value picks on a rental.  Paying his salary regardless of restructure is going to mean losing one of Davis, Oliver, Poyer, Edwards.  Two of those are probably already not getting re-signed. Im not losing someone like Davis for instance to keep CMC.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, BananaB said:

CMC would be another player defences have to game plan for. I’m not sure they do much of it for Singletary. He’s Ok player but he’s not a game breaker, defences are probably pretty happy him getting a  lot of touches while facing our offense. CMC would completely change the way defences focus on our backfield. 

Still have to be able to run block for him or it wont matter.  Panthers have a way better run blocking line.

The running game was underwhelming last year, but going heavy there strikes me as odd.  

For that reason, a 3rd dependable outside receiver is a better value for this offense than another RB.  It definitely forces defenses to adjust much more, hedges against an injury to one of their outside guys, and pushes some lesser WRs down the depth chart.  And, even though they've done some stuff from under center, I'm not sure  if it's done to set up PA that McCaffrey as a threat is more imposing than Singletary at this point in their careers.  

6 games in, things are clicking in many respects, but teams are adapting.  The passing game, given decent protection, is where the value lies offensively.  

13 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

Has there really been any real discussion about his coming here? Seems like we are mentioned but nit really a front runner for this deaL?

Albright stated we were "primary suitor" other reports by Athletic and ESPN say we are interested and "slow playing" it 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

19 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

Has there really been any real discussion about his coming here? Seems like we are mentioned but nit really a front runner for this deaL?

Just media dropping hype probably because Beane did his due dilligence and made a phone call inquiring about a price.

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Just media dropping hype probably because Beane did his due dilligence and made a phone call inquiring about a price.

And Beane is waiting on CMC to be outright cut. 2 first round picks for a 26 year old RB is never going to happen. I would have rather traded our 2023 1st round pick to move up to the late 1st round early 2nd to draft Breece Hall. 

9 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

And Beane is waiting on CMC to be outright cut. 2 first round picks for a 26 year old RB is never going to happen. I would have rather traded our 2023 1st round pick to move up to the late 1st round early 2nd to draft Breece Hall. 

Agree on those picks never going to happen.  I dont think the Panthers will cut him though.  There is no reason for them to do so.  They can use him as a good piece during a rebuild or they can get some "reasonable" compensation to help rebuild.

Edited by Scott7975

9 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

No one thinks we should give up 2 1st and it’s also been posted that Carolina would likely do it for less. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.