Christian McCaffrey rumors

Steel City Mafia

This feels like one of those instances where the team with the player on the trade block refuses to budge because they want compensation in return that no one is willing to give, then they eventually end up outright releasing the player the next offseason and not getting anything in return anyway.

That's what I predict will happen. Panthers hold firm because they have unrealistic expectations for what McCaffrey should fetch, then a new coach comes in next season and they end up releasing McCaffrey for cap savings and the team gets nothing.

Meanwhile, Beane has at times shown a tendency not to give up on players he wants once he's decided he wants them. He tried to trade for Diggs, got rebuffed, then came back a season later and got him. He tried unsuccessfully to trade for Emmanuel Sanders, then circled back and signed him in free agency. He tried to sign John Brown, failed, and then signed him a season or two later.

If the Panthers do end up holding on to McCaffrey past the trade deadline, I can't help but wonder if the Bills still ultimately end up getting him either via trade or free agency further on down the line.

Edited by Logic
  • Agree 2

With where we are drafting and the standing of our team and talent, I would rather deal 1st rounder than both a 2nd and 3rd. With where we draft, our cap getting close the need for replenishing depth, I would much rather take the 2 and 3 over the 1 with CMC in return. 

Even if we don't make a trade here i would be happy to trade our first and gather multple 2/3 picks. For cap, depth, talent reasons. 

Edited by ArtVandalay

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

This feels like one of those instances where the team with the player on the trade block refuses to budge because they want compensation in return that no one is willing to give, then they eventually end up outright releasing the player the next offseason and not getting anything in return anyway.

That's what I predict will happen. Panthers hold firm because they have unrealistic expectations for what McCaffrey should fetch, then a new coach comes in next season and they end up releasing McCaffrey for cap savings and the team gets nothing.

Meanwhile, Beane has at times shown a tendency not to give up on players he wants once he's decided he wants them. He tried to trade for Diggs, got rebuffed, then came back a season later and got him. He tried unsuccessfully to trade for Emmanuel Sanders, then circled back and signed him in free agency. He tried to sign John Brown, failed, and then signed him a season or two later.

If the Panthers do end up holding on to McCaffrey past the trade deadline, I can't help but wonder if the Bills still ultimately end up getting him either via trade or free agency further on down the line.

I think the Panthers are trying to maximize the trade value by letting this play out until the deadline unless some team really steps up before then. Sure CMC might get injured and become un-tradable in the next couple games, but a number of other backs might get hurt and create urgency on the part of their playoff hopeful team. It just takes one.

1 hour ago, Special K said:

"Nothing has happened yet.....and nothing continues to be happening......we will keep you informed of all the nothing that is not happening until something happens..........back to you." 🙂

but according to sources, it's possible that something may happen

12 hours ago, unbillievable said:

Which would you rather see happen?

Bills trade 1st for CMC

or

Chiefs trade 1st for CMC

The chiefs trade a 1st.  

He’ll be hurt by the time the playoffs come around and then they’ll either cut him this offseason because his contract is too rich and lose their pick…..or pay him 8-10M a year going forward.  Win win

Edited by NewEra

1 hour ago, BrooklynBills said:

ESPN Charlotte reporter says could happen in the next 48 hours. The fact that this intensifying this week tells me that we could be the major player here.

Yes. If it's going to be us, the bye week makes sense. Get him in here by Monday so he can get settled and practice Wednesday, play SNF 

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

2nd, 5th and Moss as a throw in....sure 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Yes. If it's going to be us, the bye week makes sense. Get him in here by Monday so he can get settled and practice Wednesday, play SNF 

2nd, 5th and Moss as a throw in....sure 

This makes it seem that proper compensation would be a pick in the 30-50 range which would put it at a conditional 1st which is where I think the Bills would be willing to go. Also would mean that there would have to be some kind of agreement on a re-structured contract because they aren't paying that for a pure rental.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

This makes it seem that proper compensation would be a pick in the 30-50 range which would put it at a conditional 1st which is where I think the Bills would be willing to go. Also would mean that there would have to be some kind of agreement on a re-structured contract because they aren't paying that for a pure rental.

What kind of conditions are able to be attached to the pick?  Games played? AFC Championship? SB? 

A 2nd that becomes a 1st if we make SB? 

23 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

A 3rd rd pick + - 2024 4th rd pick + moss-  

A 4th rd pick + cook. 

Idk if Carolina views it as fair, but I wouldn’t really want to give up more.  If we did give up more, so be it.   I would just view it as overpaying for insurance.  

2 hours ago, BrooklynBills said:

ESPN Charlotte reporter says could happen in the next 48 hours. The fact that this intensifying this week tells me that we could be the major player here.

If it's us it does make sense for it to happen with the bye week for him to learn the playbook, and before he plays another game.

Edited by Warcodered

32 minutes ago, ChrisWatson#21 said:

on one side it’s their super bowl window now and on the other they are on verge of maxing out the cap and need to hold on to their picks🙈

They are not on the verge of maxing out their cap. They have several re-structure options available starting next season with Diggs, Miller, and/or Tre White. Knox and Allen in 2024 and Allen probably again in 2026.

Hyde and Morse likely aren't on the 2024 team.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BrooklynBills said:

They are not on the verge of maxing out their cap. They have several re-structure options available starting next season with Diggs, Miller, and/or Tre White. Knox and Allen in 2024 and Allen probably again in 2026.

Hyde and Morse likely aren't on the 2024 team.

A trade for CMC probably means Edmunds, and Poyer are gone next year. Oliver might go as well, unless he takes a discount.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, unbillievable said:

how about Isiah Mckenzie, Cook, and a 2nd for Cmc?

Is DJ Moore coming too? 

Just now, unbillievable said:

A trade for CMC probably means Edmunds, and Poyer are gone next year. Oliver might go as well, unless he takes a discount.

No. It does not.  His contract can be restructured to be only a 4.8 million cap hit next year. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.