Christian McCaffrey rumors

Steel City Mafia

19 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He doesnt really have a "contract in place". Sure, technically one exists. But there is no guaranteed money left. Meaning, he is one ding away from making $0 for the rest of his life. It also means that his new team could simply cut him at the end of the year and be on the hook for nothing. No dead cap. No anything.

The only thing at risk is what the new team pays from him in trade.

CMC and his agent know he isnt seeing that $12M/year from anyone. The new team will want a new deal before the trade finalizes. And frankly, so does CMC and his agent in order to protect him long term.

As far as the business side of the NFL goes, the remaining 3yr/$36M do not exist.

Big statements. Show me one example of a RB signing a 3rd contract worth more than $12M/year. Let alone one with his recent injury history.

Not sure why you are hung up on the 3rd contract thing. He'll be 27 next year.

Aaron Jones signed a 4 yr deal at 12/yr at 27YO

Nick Chubb - 26YO - 12yr/yr

He'd be right in that market. 

1 minute ago, BrooklynBills said:

My teams signing RBs to big contracts need to have their heads examined.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I understand all that about Motor but he is not the player McCaffrey is. I wanna keep Singletary and add McCaffrey. Cut Zack Moss and go won a super bowl or multiple super Bowls. But his argument that McCaffrey is not better than what we have is flat out wrong. People wanna talk themselves out of McCaffrey so much that they are feeding themselves bullsh*t that somehow they believe 

What happens when we have neither Singleterry or CMC next year? 

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

People wanna talk themselves out of McCaffrey so much that they are feeding themselves bullsh*t that somehow they believe 

And the corollary to that is that people wanna talk themselves in to McCaffrey so much that they are feeding themselves bullsh*t that they somehow believe.

Yes Sherlock, I know. Behave yourself.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

Fair enough. Good point.

Thank god the Bills dont make decisions like the Panthers, Browns, and Packers.

But if it was for a RB of Chubb's ability I might be more onboard. CMC is no Chubb.

To your point, age-wise, Fournette and James Connor are also the same age as CMC and signed for $7M/yr.

Guess we'll find out.

16 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

My teams signing RBs to big contracts need to have their heads examined.

Exactly.

Maybe some team will sign him to a big deal. But it will likely be a bad, poorly-managed team. I dont see Beane spending $12M/yr on an RB with so many other guys coming up.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Our goal is to win this Super Bowl this year. CMC would increase the chance because he would be on the Bills AND not on another contending team. Beane proved with the Von signing that he’s all in. We may not get him, but one has to think Beane is kicking the tires

Beane isn’t going to turn us into the Rams, nor should he… It would be a complete disservice to Josh Allen, who’s just about to enter his prime years.  

You have to balance going for it year to year, with the knowledge that you’ve built a contending team for the long haul.  

So far, he’s struck that balance. 

We’ll see if we trade for CMC, and what the compensation would be, and if there’s a restructure.. But trading away major draft capital for a one year rental at RB would be completely antithetical to everything Beane has ever preached. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Fair enough. Good point.

But if it was for a RB of Chubb's ability I might be more onboard. CMC is no Chubb.

Guess we'll find out.

Exactly.

Maybe some team will sign him to a big deal. But it will likely be a bad, poorly-managed team. I dont see Beane spending $12M/yr on an RB with so many other guys coming up.

Everyone wants a RB who can catch because we have a QB who can run. 

But we need an RB who can run so our so our QB can pass. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Fair enough. Good point.

To your point, age-wise, Fournette and James Connor are also the same age as CMC and signed for $7M/yr.

Guess we'll find out.

Exactly.

Fournette and Connor are just not in the same RB market though.

I'm really only into this if they can get him on some lower cap hits for his age 26/27/28 seasons. And I'd be willing to trade a 1st in this upcoming draft where it likely is the 28-32 range if we can get some cost certainty - whether that's paying extra for Carolina to eat salary or CMC agreeing to a re-worked contract.

The other thing here is that CMC has to agree to any contract stuff. If he doesn't want to play here, he could simply not do any contract stuff and get cut knowing that we aren't paying him 12M next year. Then, he can choose wherever he wants to go. He's a big enough star that he can dictate this a bit behind the scenes as well.

12 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Everyone wants a RB who can catch because we have a QB who can run. 

But we need an RB who can run so our so our QB can pass. 

We already have one of those as long as they stop with the failed zone blocking experiment for the second year in a row and just stay with the pin and pull runs

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Motor also made a bunch of plays that McCaffrey is just not going to make.

Making people miss at the LOS and at the second level is something Singletary does much better than McCaffrey, he also finishes his runs with a lot more power which results in extra yards.

I think they would make a perfect pair. I'm probably not interested in a McCaffrey trade that involves giving up Singletary because then we're an injury away from the Zack Moss/Duke Johnson show. But there are things McCaffrey can do that Singletary simply isn't capable of. He would also give us the ability to actually score rushing TDs.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I think they would make a perfect pair. I'm probably not interested in a McCaffrey trade that involves giving up Singletary because then we're an injury away from the Zack Moss/Duke Johnson show. But there are things McCaffrey can do that Singletary simply isn't capable of. He would also give us the ability to actually score rushing TDs.

Singletary has zero value in this situation. I think it can be inferred from what's been reported that we might have offered Singletary and a 2nd for CMC over the summer or before the draft.

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Because the 2004 and 2022 nfl Is the same product huh? 🙄 

One scores touchdowns.  The other doesn’t.  

If this proposed trade would present a cap savings, then it’s not the craziest thing I’ve ever heard.  Personally, I wouldn’t do it.  But I see the logic with the play of Jackson, Elam, and Benford, and White’s injury, and his cap hit.  Not to mention McCaffrey’s potential in the slot.

Again, it’s not something that I would do.  But I understand the logic behind the thought. 

33 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

Fournette and Connor are just not in the same RB market though.

I'm really only into this if they can get him on some lower cap hits for his age 26/27/28 seasons. And I'd be willing to trade a 1st in this upcoming draft where it likely is the 28-32 range if we can get some cost certainty - whether that's paying extra for Carolina to eat salary or CMC agreeing to a re-worked contract.

The other thing here is that CMC has to agree to any contract stuff. If he doesn't want to play here, he could simply not do any contract stuff and get cut knowing that we aren't paying him 12M next year. Then, he can choose wherever he wants to go. He's a big enough star that he can dictate this a bit behind the scenes as well.

IMO, the only way we send a 1st round pick is if a team-friendly extension is already agreed upon and ready to sign. Otherwise, I (and I hope Beane) have no interest in dealing a 1st pick for a 3 month rental. I dont have any interest in sending a 1st for CMC either way really, and I think he's a very good player.

If no extension is in place, then best I can do is a 4th and Moss. That's all a $600k 3 month rental is worth to us.

edit:

And someone asked up-thread why he would take such a pay cut?

Well, after the previous 5 years in Carolina and being subjected to that franchise, players are actively taking less to play for our coaches and with Josh Allen, and win a Super Bowl. We are the New Patriots.

He already took the $38M in guaranteed money from his big 2nd contract, so he could afford to do a shorter, smaller deal with us. Go get a ring. Stay healthy with a better Strength team and NOT being the entire Offense, and then see what happens from there.

I'm all for players making as much money as they possibly can. Just sayin, he may be more interested in the change of culture and winning a SB.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

He's a more natural ballcatcher but he's not a better ballcarrier than Singletary.

I feel as if you are just trying to ***** with me at this point...:death:

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Christian McCaffrey was seen at dinner with Zack Wilson’s mom. 

You heard it here first. 

That B word! I don't condone ever hitting a woman but I may have to make an exception:cry:

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Hsker4life said:

I can understand not wanting to give up certain assets for CMC, but anyone who doesn’t think he would be an upgrade at the RB position is just nuts. 

Every position can be upgraded besides Allen and Von's right now. You don't upgrade positions just to upgrade at a big cost when your team is 5-1 (6-0 if not for the entire OL having a heat stroke)

Edited by motorj

13 minutes ago, Hsker4life said:

I can understand not wanting to give up certain assets for CMC, but anyone who doesn’t think he would be an upgrade at the RB position is just nuts. 

In addition, if hasn’t been stressed already, Beane may consider CMC to be more than just an RB.  If I recall, he paid Beasley like $8/$9M a year.  The Bills are still trying to solve for an RB and slot receiver over the next few years.  I don’t believe in overpaying for RBs, although Beane may consider CMC to have more value than just that.

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

And Chris Kelsay.

Kelsay will always have a special spot in my heart. I had a former co-worker who is college buddies with him and told me when Kelsay re-signed with the Bills before it became public news.

In my first and only “scoop,” I broke the news on this message board before it hit the media (much to everyone’s dismay). 

6 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Hard to say what other teams might be willing to give up for CMC. The rumors of multiple first rounders are pretty absurd. I don't see any team giving up that for a CMC with his injury risk and a devalued RB position. So I think it's plausible that 2nd round picks are in play. 

How good would CMC be in San Francisco's run scheme? 

Looks like you were rather prescient in your post.  We were both right suggesting it would either be SF or the Rams according to Rappaport.

2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks in 2023, and a 5th rounder in 2024.

HARD PASS.  Not at all worth it for a pass first team with the best QB in the NFL.  Love CMC as a player, but there was zero percent chance Beane was paying that.  And thank god he didn’t.  

On a side note, if I am the Niners, this makes a lot more sense.  He elevates their style of play and I think makes them the favorites in the NFC when their defense gets healthy again soon.  And they could be a dangerous foe in a SB matchup.  

My wife is ecstatic as a Niners fan, especially since it increases the odds of a Niners vs Bills Super Bowl.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I just want to point out that this board was against trading for Saquan Barkley because he cost too much, injury prone, and not good anymore.

He did cost too much.

His 5th year option cap hit is around $7.5M and as was told to you and the other Barkley clucking chicken heads.......over and over.......Barkley had ZERO incentive to accept any kind of pay cut......or sell his future services low.......because all of his remaining money was GUARANTEED.

So what combination of the few $3M-$5M cap-hit players that they signed do you not sign to make cap space for a trade for Barkley?

Not signing Von Miller and Jordan Phillips would have saved only $8M in cap room,  for example.

Some of you nonsensical "stud RB's win championships" truthers don't realize how small the Bills had to make the cap hits of Miller, Jones, Settle, Phillips and Saffold to fit them under the cap.    

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He did cost too much.

His 5th year option cap hit is around $7.5M and as was told to you and the other Barkley clucking chicken heads.......over and over.......Barkley had ZERO incentive to accept any kind of pay cut......or sell his future services low.......because all of his remaining money was GUARANTEED.

So what combination of the few $3M-$5M cap-hit players that they signed do you not sign to make cap space for a trade for Barkley?

Not signing Von Miller and Jordan Phillips would have saved only $8M in cap room,  for example.

Some of you nonsensical "stud RB's win championships" truthers don't realize how small the Bills had to make the cap hits of Miller, Jones, Settle, Phillips and Saffold to fit them under the cap.    

Extension can lower cap hit. 

And I hate paying RBs. Just enjoying conversations. Agreeing is boring.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

18 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Extension can lower cap hit. 

And I hate paying RBs. Just enjoying conversations. Agreeing is boring.

AGAIN.........he had no incentive to sign an extension and sell his future services low coming off two terrible, injury riddled seasons...........neither the Giants or any acquiring team had any leverage over him contractually because his remaining money was already fully guaranteed.

And the Giants are in terrible cap shape so they weren't interested in eating cap space for anyone to facilitate a trade.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.